Bankruptcy

A Heart's Melody

 

The sun illuminated the world, marking it as a brand new day for the people on Earth. People woke up and got ready with their daily lives. The streets of San Francisco appear to be busy in the early morning. People pass by each other to get to where they’re heading at.

 

Somewhere in San Francisco, a blonde girl with fair skin is still sleeping peacefully. The sun’s rays hit her face which made her stir and slowly reveal her eyes to the world. The blonde stretched her arms and legs before letting out a smile to have a great day ahead.

 

Just then, she heard a faint knock on her door. She told the person to get in. When the door opened, it revealed a black-haired girl with a small smile on her face. The girl stepped closer to where the blonde is at, and took a seat next to the now sitting blonde with her back leaning against the headboard. 

 

 

"Good morning Jessica unnie." 

 

 

The blonde's smile grew a bit wider as she gently pulled the girl to lay a kiss on her forehead.

 

 

"Good morning, Krystal." 

 

 

"Did you sleep well last night?"

 

 

The blonde girl nodded, indicating it as a yes.

 

 

"Well, what did you dreamed about unnie?" Krystal asked.

 

 

"A don't want to tell you, or else it won't happen." Jessica winked.

 

 

The black-haired let out a pout. 

 

 

"That's unfair."

 

 

The blonde, Jessica, let out a giggle and pinched Krystal's cheeks.

 

 

"You know what's not fair?"

 

 

"What?" Krystal mumbled while the blonde is still pinching her cheek.

 

 

"You making that pouting face."

 

 

Jessica then released Krystal's cheek and tapped her nose. 

 

 

"By the way unnie, umma asked me to tell you that you should prepare yourself. You're going to meet the heir of a partner company" Krystal said with disgust.

 

 

Jessica's spirit vanished. Her smile faltered. She let out a sigh and shifted a little to get out of bed. Her younger sister watched her with sadness. This has been the nth time that her unnie has to meet up with someone she barely know. Being a daughter of a company's president is really a pressure for the both of them. Lucky for Krystal, she doesn't need to meet up with someone yet because their parents are concentrating on Jessica first. But of course, she pities and sympathizes her older sister. Being a heir to a company is hard work, especially if that company is Jung Enterprises, a well-known company all over California.

 

 

Jessica stepped out of the bathroom in a fresh set of clothes. She scanned herself on the mirror to see if she look presentable. Krystal on the other hand watched her sister sadly. She stood up from the bed, walked closer to her older sister, and wrapped her arms around her unnie's waist.

 

 

"You don't have to do it if you don't want to, unnie." 

 

 

Jessica let out a sigh as she looked at her sister at the mirror.

 

 

"As much as I want to, I can't. You know umma and appa are counting on me to continue the family's business. Besides, I can't give this burden to you. I want you to live a free, happy life while you still can." Jessica smiled warmly at her sister.

 

 

"But unnie –"

 

 

"Let's just head downstairs Krys. Our parents are waiting for us. Besides, I can't be late to a meeting, or else I will be accused of being tardy." 

 

 

The older Jung gently removed the arms around her waist and took her sister's hand with hers.

 

 

Krystal could only watch the forced smile her sister is giving her.

 

 

"Okay."

 

 


 

 

Jessica kindly asked her driver to drop her off despite his protests regarding her safety. She stepped foot on the sidewalk and thanked her driver for opening the door for her. She gave him a smile before taking off to her meeting destination. Looking at the map that Krystal drew for her, she scanned through the area and can't seem to find her way. Getting worried, she talked to a stranger and asked for directions. The stranger happily guided her by telling her the directions because the stranger recognized her due to her family's influence. She thanked the stranger with a smile on her face before walking away.

 

 

As she was walking by, a person bumped on her shoulder.

 

 

Jessica turned around to look at the person and saw a beautiful lady with brown hair cascading down her shoulders. She is wearing a plain white long sleeve with a matching pair of blue jeans. She looks so carefree and simple. Jessica lifted her eyes up to look at the lady's eyes. She noticed that the girl has her eyes wide in shock and immediately bowed down her head. Jessica raised a brow in wonder and heard a beautiful talking voice coming from the brunette.

 

 

"I'm so sorry!" 

 

 

The sound of her voice entered Jessica's ears like a melody. It's so beautiful to hear. Jessica watched the girl lift her head up to look at her, and found out that the lady is still worried, like she's going to lose her life any second now. The blonde only looked at her in wonder, but gave her a smile to somehow ease her worries.

 

 

"It's okay, I don't mind. I'm the one at fault too. I didn't know where I was heading."

 

 

"N-No, don't blame yourself Miss Jung."

 

 

"Oh, so you know me?"

 

 

'That explains why she's getting pale right now.' Jessica thought.

 

 

The brunette bit her lip and slightly nodded.

 

 

"Yes. I saw you in magazines and commercials. You've also modeled for a couple of winter and summer collections last year." The girl admitted shyly.

 

 

"Oh..."

 

 

Silence came before them. They didn't know how to continue from here. Jessica keeps on glancing on the girl, while the brunette seemed fascinated on her feet. Jessica then cleared to grab the brunette's attention, who in return snapped her head up in an instant.

 

 

"I was wondering, do you know where this restaurant is?"

 

 

Jessica showed a picture of the restaurant to the brunette who smiled at her.

 

 

"Yeah, that's where I'm headed also. We can just go there together if you don't mind?"

 

 

Jessica smiled thankfully.

 

 

"Sure!"

 

 


 

 

They walked in silence. Neither one spoke a word. They reached the restaurant and stood outside. Neither one knows what to say to each other due to nervousness. Even if Jessica met a lot of people before on parties and such, that doesn't mean that she isn't nervous and comfortable talking to other people. Jessica is a shy girl on the inside, but she doesn't let it show so she won't disappoint her father.

 

 

The brunette used all her courage and opened to speak.

 

 

"Um...seems this is goodbye, Miss Jung."

 

 

"Yeah, guess so."

 

 

With that, the girls entered the restaurant and parted ways. Jessica glanced back at the retreating form of the girl and memorized the girl's face. She remembered the addicting scent of the girl which she got a chance to smell when the brunette pulled her closer to her when a bunch of gangsters passed them by. The blonde was taken aback by the action, but it doesn't mean that she didn't liked it. In fact, she even blushed profusely at their close proximity. Jessica let out a warm smile as she reminisced what happened earlier.

 

 

She glanced one last time before heading to the table where her meeting partner is waiting for her.

 

 

'Let's meet again.'

 

 


 

 

Hours later...

 

 

Jessica came home in an empty house. Her parents were nowhere to be found. The blonde walked deeper inside the house. She noticed that even the maids and bodyguards are missing. Jessica raised a brow. This must be another surprise that they planned for her. Jessica's parents like to surprise her with a celebration even if she achieved just a little, like a successful photo shoot and commercial for example. 

 

 

Even if they are strict and at times mean, they still love their daughters so much.

 

 

Jessica lets out a sigh.

 

 

"Where are they anyway?" She mumbled to herself.

 

 

Taking a seat on the couch, Jessica the television. Then, a flash report blared in the screen. A news about the Jung Enterprises going bankrupt is the headline of the news. The blonde watched the news in confusion, wondering what this means. Jessica's spirit jumped in surprise when she heard her phone ring.

 

 

She immediately took it out of her handbag and answered the call.

 

 

"Hello?"

 

 

"Hello unnie?"

 

 

"Krystal?"

 

 

"Yeah, it's me. Are you back home?"

 

 

"Y-Yes...I'm back."

 

 

"Don't leave unnie all right? I'll be there as soon as I can."

 

 

"O-Okay. Get here as fast as you can Krys, all right?"

 

 

"Okay unnie. Bye."

 

 

Krystal ended the call. Jessica lets out a deep sigh and only stared blankly at her phone. Thoughts about the new filled her mind like a .

 

 

 

 

How did this happened?

 

 

 

Why on Earth is there a news about our company's bankruptcy?

 

 

 

Where on Earth is my parents?

 

 

 

Without her knowledge...

 

 

Tears began to cascade down her eyes...

 

 

 

 

What if all of these are true?

 

 

 

What if all of these will turn our lives upside down?

 

 

 

Jessica thought...

 

 

And thought...and thought...

 

 

And thought...

 

 

Until her mind shut down as she cried herself to sleep...

 

 


 

 

"Unnie! Wake up!"

 

 

Jessica stirred and opened her eyes. She is greeted by her sister looking down at her, sadness clear in her eyes. The blonde pushed herself up into a sitting position and looked at her sister sitting beside her. The blonde didn't get the chance to ask her sister about the news because the girl hugged her in an instant and cried in the arms of her sister.

 

 

Jessica held her sister tightly in her arms and whispered calming words to make the girl's sobs stop.

 

 

A while later, Krystal calmed down and pulled away to look at her sister. Jessica wiped away the streak of tears on her younger sister's face. The blonde placed a kiss on Krystal's forehead before staring directly at her sister's eyes.

 

 

"What happened?"

 

 

Krystal didn't answer back immediately as her tears came back.

 

 

"Our...Our family is experiencing some difficulty right now."

 

"..."

 

"Umma and appa said that they have to leave to fix the problems...They have to leave for how many months...or even years..." 

 

 

Krystal's voice broke, but she still continued.

 

 

"Umma and appa asked everyone to leave this house until they come back...which means...it includes us."

 

 

Jessica's eyes widen as her brain processed all the information she is receiving from her sister.

 

 

"W-Where are we g-going to stay?"

 

 

"In South Korea."

 

 

"But why there? We could just stay in Tiffany's or something."

 

 

"We could unnie, but it's our parents' wish. They already booked a flight for us to Korea this evening. They said that we should find the Chois. They will help us with our temporary life in Korea." 

 

 

"Did they really said that?"

 

 

"Yes."

 

 

The older Jung let out a deep sigh.

 

 

"Then we could do nothing but grant their wish..."