Halmeoni and Jin Young

The Unforgivable Couple Series: Forbidden Love 2

"So Hyun ah, do you have some time?"

I was reading a book in my room when Byung Hun came in, looking tired out.

"Waeyo? You look pale... Are you tired?"
"Ani."
"But you look pale. What'll you do if you faint again like you did before?"
"The reason I look pale is because my stomach hurts when I was thinking about where I have to go next."
"When you say where you have to go next..."
"I got a phone call in the early morning, and now I have to go to Busan."
"By Busan, does that mean you're going to halmoni's?"

His grandmother moved back to South Korea few months ago and she is currently live in Busan permanently.

"Ne. She didn't say why, but it's probably related to the commotion that's been broadcast on TV lately." He muttered that after sighing deeply.
"As expected, is halmoni still scary even though you've become the CEO?"
"Geureomyo. She has always been strict on others, relatives and herself as well. When I was still a kid, she made me cry with her words so many times."

*Somehow, I feel like I understand. I remember that when we went to halmoni's place last, he seemed as small as a child.*

Byung Hun was the son who was supposed to be the heir, so people were probably stricter with him han most.

"Himnaeseyo, oppa."
"Why are you saying it like it's somebody else's problem? You're going too."
"Eh? Wae?"
"By all means, bring you along too. Halmoni said that."
"I... I wonder if she has something to say to me too."
"Isn't that so?"
"Ugh... I'm scared."


When we arrived at the estate, his grandmother was already waiting for us in the wide foyer.

"I apologize for making you come from so far away."
"I apologize for not contacting you for so long... That is you said that you had something to talk to me about."
"Shouldn't you know what I wish to talk about?"
"Is it about the recent fuss about restructing?"
"..."
"Since you didn't speak at length, I thought that you may have seen a broadcast on television and been surprised."
"What are you saying? You are the CEO of the Lee group, which means you are at the top. If your appa has entrusted the entirety of the group to you, I don't have the right to speak up regarding that decision. I also saw on the television that a gun was fired on the inauguration ceremony. If that's something that you've decided, you should advance as you believe you should. However, I couldn't simply overlook the incident the other day. So Hyun was assaulted at the villa, and then when she was about to be injured, her friend was injured instead."

*Now that I think about it, nobody told halmeoni about the chain of events...*

"Byung Hun ah, I don't plan to challenge your judgement, but are you aware that you've put So Hyun in danger as a result?"
"Halmeoni, that was..."
"So Hyun ah, joyonghi juseyo."

I tried to speak up for Byung Hun, but since his grandmother cut me down, all I could do was keep my mouth shut.

"Currently, because your bumonim are away from the estate, there is no one to find fault with you, but it appears that you can't come to the realization yourself if nobody says anything."
"Please pardon me for saying so, but I plan to understand properly in my own way. So Hyun has been put in danger, and it was my fault. Therefore, I'm looking steadily examining the situation in a variety of directions."
"That the assault on So Hyun wasn't the work of those affected by the restructuring?"
"Though it is only my intuition... I don't believe they would do something with high risk as assaulting So Hyun just to make me revoke the restructuring."
"You think that because you're at the top. One can't know what a person will do when driven into a corner. Regardless of whether they'll look like beats, people can do anything in order to protect their family and themselves. You only think as you do because you have never been driven to that point. There is a reason to what you're saying. Did your appa not say anything before he left the estate?"
"..." He frowned at his grandmother's words silently.

*Appa did say to watch out for samcheon.*

"Byung Hun ah? Is the reason you're not speaking up because you were told somthing that is difficult to say to me?"
"I was told to beware of the vice president."
"Geuraeyo? Your appa said something like that..."

For grandmother, uncle should've been as important to her as our father. Byung Hun probably didn't want to speak badly of him for that reason.

"I also approve his words. There are many things about yuor samcheon that I don't know, although I'm his omma. Unlike your appa, your samcheon has no talent for business. The reason he is still attained the position of vice president is your appa's kindness. However, your samcheon was the one who complained until the very end when your appa was succeeding as president. I don't want to say this, but you truly should beware of him. That is all I have to say."
"Halmeoni, didn't you have something to say to me...?" I finally spoke out.
"Ani, I heard from a servant that you had been assaulted and became worried. I simply wanted to see you. Sorry for asking that of you at such a busy time."
"A-aniyo! You were even worried about me... Jeongmal gomatssumnida."

"Byung Hun ah, So Hyun ah, please rely on me if anything troublesome arises. Although I've been strict on you, you're both my precious grandchildren. Please don't forget what I said earlier as well."
"Ne! Gomatssumnida, halmeoni."
"Ne."


"In the end, I was the only one she told of..."

In the car on the way back, Byung Hun sighed as he lay on the seat in the back.

"I think halmeoni must've been worried about you, but since she's strict, she couldn't say straight out that she was worried."
"Maybe. I felt she was at least a little truly mad at me though."
"She wouldn't get mad at somebody she didn't care about. I think the reason she really got mad was that you're very important to her."
"Well, she is always been an awkward sort of person, like appa."
"Jjinjayo?"
"When I cried after being scolded, she would say things like, 'it's disgraceful for a boy to cry.', but at the same time, she would bring me to town and buy me ice cream. Though at the same time she would say it was just because I would become the head of the Lee family. The ice cream back then was really delicious."

I could tell that grandmother's quality of not being entirely honest had been inherited by Byung Hun too, as he spoke so nostalgically about his childhood.

*Even though Byung Hun oppa cares halmeoni so much.*

"So Hyun ah? What are you smiling for?"
"I just thought it was kind of nice."
"Nice... What was?"
"Your relationship with halmeoni. I've neber had something like that..."
"Have you never met your own grandparents?"
"Aniyo, I might have met them when I was really young, but I don't remember them at all. I only have my halmeoni in Busan. But as a child from a previous marriage, I'm not a real grandchild..."
"That doesn't matter. She definitely thinks of you as a precious grandchild." He pat my head and smiled gently.

Soon, my phone rang out of the blue.

*It's from Jin Young oppa...*

"Don't you have to answer?"

It seemed like he knew who was calling from my attitude, and he said that looking a bit displeased.

"Geureomyo. Yeobosaeyo?"
"Mianhae, it took me a while to get back to you! Are you free tomorrow?"
"Naeil? You're sudden as usual."
"Ah... You can't make it?"
"Aniyo, gwaenchanayo."
"Okay then. I'll pick you up before noon or so."
"Will you be fine driving?"
"Gwaenchana! I'm already healed. You're worrying too much."
"It's okay if you're fine, but don't overdo it, ara?"
"Arasseo. I'll come to pick you up tomorrow, so don't sleep in!"
"I won't, probably..."
"I can't trust you if you tack on 'probably' at the end. Well, whatever. Naeil mannaja!"
"Ne."

"His voice is loud as usual."
"You heard it?"
"I could hear it, clearly."
"Since I'm going to talk to him tomorrow, it might get late."
"Ne, I might be late too since I have a briefing tomorrow at the company about the restructuring."
"Hwaiting."
"Neodo."

*I'm worried about how awfully bright Jin Young oppa's voice was. I wonder if something happened...*


*What was up with Jin Young oppa? He sounds like when he's depressed or when something has happened. He never sounds as bright as that when something good actually happened.*

Even after I had hung up, I was still concerned about Jin Young, whose voice had been too bright. I hadn't dated him for just a short time. I had dated him long enough to know what he was feeling from hhis voice and his expression. However, I wasn't sure whether I should ask about it now.

*I'm definitely the reason he is hurt... Because of my indecisiveness, both Jin Young oppa and Byung Hun oppa were hurt... I'm really the worst.*

I sighed and my gaze fell on the accessory made of seashells on the table.

*He is a pabo, and he gets carried away easily, but he's really kind.*

He was like that back then too.

*What did he mean when he said he had something important to tell me? He said I'd definitely be surprised, but... I feel bad saying it, but when he said something like that, I get a bad feeling.*

"Oh, are you heading out?"

When I had gotten ready and left my room, the maid who was cleaning spoke up to me.

"Ne, Jin Young oppa contacted me..."
"Oh, with Jin Young-ssi then? You've been heading out together often recently."
"Ne, majayo."
"Agassi, are you dating Jin Young-ssi?"
"Aniyo!We're just chingu!"

Just as the maid said, I had been going out with Jin Young often, but we couldn't get out of our relationship as friends.

*Jin Young hasn't said anything about it, and I want our ambiguos relationship to stay as it is...*

"I apologize for being so forward. Please forgive me."
"Ne..."
"Though you seemed rather listless ever since Byung Hun-ssi went to overseas, you've been smiling more often recently."
"I'm...heading out."
"Please come back soon."

*I've been smiling more recently, she says.*

I was aware of that myself.

*It's fun being with Jin Young oppa, so that might be why I can smile without getting caught up thinking about Byung Hun oppa.*

While I was still thinking to myself, I heard the sound of a car horn from the entrance.

"Sorry for the wait! Eodigayo?"
"Hmm... There's nowhere in particular I want to go. How about you?"
"I was the one who asked! You can never decide where you want to go."
"Geugeo aniya... When I have somewhere I really want to go, I can say that so properly. More importantly, you said on the phone that you had something important to tell me today. Mwoheyo?"
"Ah, I have something I want to give you! Could you open the glove compartment? I think there's a white envelope in there, so take that out."

*Is he talking about this?*

"Open it."
"Is it okay for me to see what's inside?"
"Ne, gwaenchanayo."

When I opened the envelope, my heart beating a little quickly...

"Plane tickets? To Jejudo?"
"Let's go on a trip the day after tomorrow!"
"A trip?"
"I really wanted to go overseas, but becuse of something at university, it had to be within the country. Well, we can go overseas next time, and I love Jejudo anyway!"
"The location isn't the problem, but who's going?"
"You and me."
"Wae? Plus the day after tomorrow is too soon!"
"Ah, if you're missing something, do you wanna buy it today? Should I help you choose underwear?"
"Yah, byuntae! You don't need to! If I'm gonna be choosing something like that, I wouldn't bring you!"
"I thought I'd be able to choose underwear for you that I liked. Ah, for swimsuits, I like bikinis. Black ones."
"There's no way I'd buy something like that, byuntae!" I emphasized the word 'byuntae' in the end.
"Majayo. I guess you're not quite y enough to wear a bikini?"
"You're so rude! Yah, that's not the point! Why would you decide on this without even asking me?"
"Because I wanted to go on a trip with you."
"I don't want to when we're not even dating."
"There's no rule saying that you have to be dating to go on a trip. Ah, did you thinnk I'd assault you or something?"
"..."
"Yah, at least deny it."
"Neon yeojaga johahae."
"I think that's natural as a healthy namja, but I'm not so desperate that I'd do something without a girl's consent. You didn't look cheerful either, so I thought we could just go somewhere really far away!" He sounded strangely cheerful.

*He's always cheerful, but I feel like he's forcing himself to act cheerful today.*

"What's wrong?"
"Yah, oppa, did something happen? I just felt like you were forcing yourself to act cheerful, but I'm sorry if it was just my imagination."
"Aniyo, it's just your imagination."
"That's good then."
"Anyway, shall we go somewhere to buy something for our first trip?"
"Wait a second! Is it already decided that we're going on a trip?"
"Naturally."

In the end, because of Jin Young's insistence, I went on a trip to Jejudo.


"Wow! The view is really beautiful! It is completely different from Seoul!"
"Compared to the view in Seoul, the view here is pitiful! Anyway, you're enjoying this a lot for somebody who didn't want to come."
"Geugeo... It'd be a waste if I didn't enjoy myself after coming all the way here..."
"Well, I was so excited for this trip with you too that I couldn't sleep well last night."
"Geojimal."
"Sasiliya! You really have no faith in me."
"It's because you do awful things like pretending you didn't know me when we first met even though you did."
"Don't hold a grudge, just forget about that already."
"Andwaeyo, so hold my stuff."
"Mwoh? I don't know what you've put in your bag, but this is heavy!"
"It's just cosmetics and games to pass the time."
"Why are you bringing games on a trip? We won't need to pass the time like that!"
"But our rooms are seperate, geuji? I'll be bored at night by myself. Unless we're staying in the same room...?"
"Ne."
"I'm going home."
"Wait! I said I wouldn't do anything, geuji?"
"I don't think somebody who wouldn't do anything would book only a room."
"I really won't do anything! Come on, I swear by this beautiful view in Jejudo!"
"If you do anything, I definitely won't forgive you."
"It's scary that you are saying how you won't forgive me."
"If you peep at me when I'm changing or when I'm in the bath, I won't stop at hitting you!"
"Yeolsimi hagossumnida."
"You don't sound really sincere."
"Come on, we came all the way here, so don't be so angry! Let's play!"
"I won't forgive you if you get any dirty ideas."
"I'm not actually gonna do anything to you, so at least let me have my fantasies."
"Andwae! There's definitely no way I'll allow that!"
"You're a lot harder to handle than other women."
"Don't group me together with all the loose women you've been dated before."
"Well, it's because you are who you are that I..."
"Did you say something?"
"Aniyo! Anyway, your bag is seriously heavy!"
"As a punishment for saying something strange, you have to carry it all the way to the hotel."
"I'll seriously make a move on you if you act like that..."

In the end, we played until the sun set, and both Jin Young and I were worn out when we returned to the hotel.

"Ah, it's been so long since I moved like that..."
"Nado! Even though I put on sunscreen, my skin is still stinging. It's gonna be awful when I gett back."
"It's fine, isn't it? I prefer tanned skin over pale."
"I wasn't asking for your opinion. More importantly, when are you gonna talk to me? You've been strange ever since you invited me on this trip."
"I think I'm just the regular old super popular and super bright Jung Jin Young though."
"Don't try to trick me. Something must've happened, geuji?"
"Even though you're slow at times but you're still sharp." He scratched at his head as he crossed his legs and sat down.

"You know I'm going to a music school, geuji?"
"Ne."
"But I'm the only child, so I think I'll need to take over the company someday. He lets me do whatever I want up until now, so I want to live up to appa's expectations, but I'll have to give up on music. Ottokaji? Should I stop for appa? I've been thinking about a lot of things."
"You really like music."
"Ne, to the point that it even surprises me. I feel like I can be like myself when I'm producing."
"Come to think of it, I've never listen any of your music. Would you show me when we get back?"
"..."
"Ah... Don't you likeshowing them to other people?"
"Aniya... Yah, wait!" His face was red as he used his phone and searched through them.

"Actually, I brought something since I wanted you to listen it. I really wanted to show you something that was properly done, but of course I couldn't have something like that."

He was blushing as he handed over his phone. When I listened...

*Wow...*

I didn't know anything about music. However, I could tell that his music was honestly beautiful.

*He's usually rather rough, so I thought he would produce rock songs, but...*

All the songs were so nice that I couldn't believe Jin Young had produced them.

"If you don't say something, I don't know how to respond."
"Although I don't know very much about music so I can't say anything smart, but I think this is amazing! All of the songs are filled with your feelings, and it makes me feel warm just listening to them."
"They're just scribbles, so if you say something like that, I'll blush, but it's mysterious. Even though I wasn't happy at all when the girls at my university complimented me, I'm happy when you do."
"It might be irresponsible of me to say this, but I don't want you to give up on your dream. You did so well, I think it'd be such a waste if you gave up."
"Gomawo."
"I think you'll have a lot to worry about though, since there's the company to think about... Mianhae."
"Aniyo, there's no reason for you to apologize! Rather, it makes me happy to hear that. Since you've praised me, I'll work harder than ever before. I'm not good enough yet, but someday I want to produce a song about you."
"Je-jegayo? Rather than somebody like me, you should produce a song about someone more beautiful..."
"Andwae, I only want to produce a song about you."
"Aigoo... Gomawo."
"There's one more thing I want to ask you, and well, how should I put it..."
"Do you have another one to show me?"
"It's not a song, here." He held out an accesory made of seashells that had been sold at one of the stands.
"Kyeowo!"
"Um... Would you go out with me?"
"A joke again?"
"Aniya, I'm seriously confessing to you! You always know when I'm feeling down, no other girl has ever noticed before. They always just say things like, oh, you're more cheerful than usual today, but you noticed. That made me really happy. You're harder to handle than other girls are, but nan niga johahae, so please go out with me. If it's okay, would you accept this?"

I enjoyed being with him. It let me forget all the unpleasant things...

"You probably don't think much of me, but it'll be fine if you just grow to like me from now on! I won't make you sad, so..."

I interrupted his words by taking the seashells.

"Gwaenchana?"
"I'll give it back to you if you'd rather I refuse."
"Andwae! If you gave them back, I'd feel depressed, so hajima!"
"But why did you think about giving me an accessory made of seashells? It's a bit unusual for you."
"It said that these seashells would make whoever had them happy. It'd be lucky if it'll make you happy."
"I didn't think you'd believe that sort of thing..."
"Usually I'd confess while giving jewels or something as a present, but I couldn't do that since I thought that would make you dislike me, so I'll prove it."
"You'll prove it?"
"Ne, I'll prove that this seashell accessory really will make whoever has them happy."
"That's just like you."
"Geuji?"

*In the end, he couldn't give me the proof of the happiness that he mentioned. He gave me a lot of other memories too. I'm so grateful that I could never thank him enough, but I can't hurt him anymore.*

I held the small shells in my hand. In order to not hurt him anymore, I'll have to tell him something that will hurt him more than anything else I've ever done...


Author's notes

Will So Hyun accept Jin Young's confession? What if Byung Hun knows about this confession? You'll know in the next chapter!

Long time no see! I was on a trip to Europe during this period and I even forgot to unhide the previous chapter for you guys up until last night. I'm really sorry! :( Well I'm not feeling well these days and I just got my exam results 2 days ago, which is also not really that good, but I'll try to update everyday. See you then!