Chapter 24

That's Not Possible!
"You are twins, am I correct?"

My eyes widen at the question. I look at Eunbi and she just smiles at the doctor, then nods.

"Yes, she's the younger twin," she says, then gestures at the blue paper. "I'm willing to donate blood to my father."

The doctor nods and walks out, leaving us in the room.

Eunbi looks at me apologetically, then says "I'm sorry." I just look at her, my eyes still wide and my jaw still hanging.

Before I can say anything, the door opens and the doctor is there again, motioning Eunbi to come. She nods and shoots me another apologetic look before walking out, mouthing,We'll talk later.

I stumble back to the waiting room and slump on my seat next to Chanhee. He frowns at me and wraps me in his arms.

"You must be shocked. I'm sorry I didn't try to tell you directly."

I'm not capable of glaring and being angry at him for not telling me earlier, so I just laugh.

"Well, you should have. I've always wished having an older sister, and now I do," I state, leaning on Chanhee's shoulder.

He nudges me away and frowns at me again.

"You're not mad at me? Or her? Or everyone else here for not telling you?" he asks, looking at everyone else.

I laugh and say, "Well, what could you do? Tell me she's my sister when we first met? I wouldn't have believed that, you know." I laugh again and kiss him on the cheek.

Chanhee laughs as well. "Your parents have a looooot of explaining to do."

I nod and peck his lips. "And I have a lot of punishing to do." I laugh at him and run to sit next to Changjo.

Chanhee just glares at me, but Changjo laughs and 'protects' me with his hand to cover my eyes. He says it's to prevent Chanhee's glare from burning me to ashes.

----------

When she's done, Eunbi just sits down next to Minsoo and leans on his shoulder, looking pale. She has another gauze pad on the other arm and she holds a half-empty juice bottle and a small box of crackers.

She doesn't look at me even once, but I keep stealing glances at her, even in the middle of playing games with Changjo.

"Two!"

I look back down at my hands and realize I had brought both my thumbs up, which means Changjo won. I sigh and stretch my hand out for him to smack, but he doesn't. He just pokes my flesh.

I look up at him and frown, but he just shrugs and smiles sweetly. "I don't hit girls," he says. I shrug and thank him, then we start another round with Ricky and Yejin.

----------

We wait, and at noon, we go to the hospital's cafeteria to find lunch. We sit in three groups of three, and I sit with Chanhee and Niel. They both eat seafood fried rice while I eat rice and soup.

"So, noona," Niel starts, munching on a shrimp.

I look at him and he flicks one hand, the other holding his can of coke, tilted, ready to be sipped from.

"What do you think," he pauses to sip his coke, "your parents will say about this?" He sips his drink again. "I mean, now that you know? And how will you tell Yejin?"

I open my mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. I don't have anything to say, so I shut my mouth and shrug.

"I can't think straight right now, Ahn Daniel."

Chanhee offers me a half-bitten shrimp, and I eat it.

"Why?" he questions, and I roll my eyes.

"It's so new to me. One day we're all alright and having fun, but the next day my parents end up in the hospital and I find out my best friend is my sister. My twin, even," I explain, and Chanhee stuffs a slice of squid in my mouth.

"And," I add, looking at Chanhee pointedly, "my boyfriend keeps stuffing seafood in my mouth."

He looks at me and smiles apologetically. I laugh and kiss his lips. I hear all sorts of comments from the table to my right, which is where Ricky, Yejin and Byunghun are sitting.

"Noona, don't ever do that again. Everyone's still eating," Ricky says.

Byunghun laughs uproariously. "If that's what you do in public, then what do you do when only there's only the two of you?!" he exclaims, and bursts out laughing again.

I shake my head at his dirty mind and just continue eating.