twenty two

The Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sitting on the sofa by the living room where they could pretty much see everything, both Sunny and Chanyeol stared at Donghae with their brows raised. The latter was waving goodbye to Hyukjae who kindly dropped him by his house after the party. The blond’s car was already out of sight but Donghae was still waving, a dreamy look on his face. When it seemed like his arm got tired from waving he went inside, closed the door and leaned on it sliding down until he fell flat on his on the floor then let out a dreamy sigh.

 

“Uh… Hyung? Everything okay there?” Chanyeol asked carefully as they stood up and approached their oldest sibling who was now smiling goofily they thought his face would split in half.

 

“I did it.” Donghae whispered.

 

“You did what?” Sunny asked.

 

“I confessed. I told him everything.”

 

They swore they could see their brother’s eyes twinkling with nothing but happiness, his lips still stretched into that child-like toothless grin of his. The younger siblings looked at each other, smiling. They were really happy for his brother and of course for Hyukjae. Because of Heechul, they were pretty aware of Hyukjae’s not-so-subtle affection for their brother and really, who were they to complain? The blond guy complimented their brother well. Donghae was the crazy guy and the only one who could tame him was his best friend. And then Hyukjae was the silent slash slightly boring one that the only time he was having those let’s-have-fun-not-the-going-to-the-museum-type-of-fun was when he’s with Donghae. They complete each other. Growing together, they knew each other perfectly well they knew one another better than his own self. That’s how scarily they connect.

 

“So… Are you two now like… you know, together?” Sunny asked, her hands forming a small heart, her voice hopeful. They were now sitting in front of Donghae cross-legged. They didn’t bother bringing their brother back to the living room since he looked like he’s still in euphoria.

 

Donghae shook his head. “No.”

 

“N-No?”

 

He shook his head again.

 

“W-Why?” They didn’t understand. If they felt the same way with each other and their brother already confessed then why weren’t they together?

 

“Yes I told him I love him. I confessed everything to him and all but, I only asked him to give me a chance to prove my sincerity towards him.”

 

The two didn’t say anything and just motioned at him to continue.

 

“I never see Hyukkie as an easy guy and I know how a worrywart he is so I have to first assure him with my feelings by making him know my sincerity. I know it will take time but I won’t lose hope. I’m his best friend, and that fact itself was enough for me to hope that somehow I’m already a step ahead from those who was eyeing him especially that Choi Siwon.” He frowned at the last sentence, that one name tasting so bitter on his tongue.

 

“That’s a good move hyung. At least Hyuk hyung won’t feel like everything’s moving too fast for the two of you.” Chanyeol agreed as he gave his brother a pat on the shoulder and finally stood up. He offered one hand to Donghae who accepted it to stand up then another one to Sunny who also held it and carefully stood up.

 

“Well, it’s been a long day Oppa. Go upstairs and rest.” Sunny smiled. The eldest smiled back and kissed the two younger kids on the cheek good night and proceeded to his bedroom.

 

Donghae closed his room and leaned his back against the door. Honestly speaking he never thought he will do good with his confession since he felt like his heart was about to burst and his soul would leave his body because of too much nervousness. But then, he did it and what’s better was his best friend gave him the chance. And heck he won’t waste that one.

 

 

 

 

Sungmin, no matter how much happiness he was feeling for his two friends, cannot help but try not to puke at the invisible rainbows and unicorns running around them. It was days before school so both him and Hyukjae spent their hours as much as possible at the café. It was still hectic it convinced Leeteuk to hire permanent workers for it, forcing the owner to post “For Hire” signs outside the cafe. Sungmin and Hyukjae’s employment there surely helped a lot. And since Hyukjae and Donghae reconciled, the latter was once again there.

 

But he was not sitting on his ‘throne’ like he usually does.

 

Donghae was practically glued to Hyukjae, helping the other with his work making the blond almost do nothing at all. His hair went brunet again and cut it a bit shorter at the sides and back but kept his fringe down sideways. It was simple and not the reason why he stood out.

 

The guy was practically glowing.

 

He was smiling, lips stretched so wide Sungmin feared his face will split in half. He will whisper something on Hyukjae then will giggle making the elder giggle as well, their faces both blushing.

 

“What in the world is happening with them?” The cute guy murmured.

 

“Probably something happened during the party last time.” Kyuhyun said as he pulled his boyfriend to sit at the empty chair beside him.

 

“Yah I have to work.”

 

“Who cares? Just let them do the work. It seems like their enjoying it anyway.” The younger pointed out.

 

“What’s with them?” The two looked up and saw Leeteuk standing by their table looking confusedly at his cousin and his best friend. He then looked at Kyuhyun and smiled. “Hi Kyu. Long time no see.”

 

“Likewise hyung. Minnie here forbid me to go for a while. You know, Donghae hyung might kill me.”

 

The oldest nodded. “I see. Well, would you like something to drink?”

 

“Just the usual please, thank you.” Kyuhyun smiled and Leeteuk smiled back before standing up to make his order.

 

“Even Leeteuk hyung doesn’t know what’s going on with them.” Sungmin mumbled. “I better corner Hyuk later.” He grinned, pleased with the idea.

 

“Let me take that Hyukkie.” They heard Donghae said as he took the tray with the dirty dishes away from Hyukjae. The latter opened his mouth to oppose but the younger was fast enough to walk away from him with the said object.

 

“Well,” Kyuhyun turned to Sungmin. “Leeteuk hyung better give Hyuk hyung’s last paycheck to Donghae hyung instead.” He mused.

 

 

 

Donghae placed the dirty dishes at the sink and started doing the dishes. He was smiling the whole time despite the fact that he doesn’t usually do these chores at home. He was helping his Hyukkie with his work so the other won’t get tired too easily or get overworked plus he can be close to him however he wanted. It’s like hitting two birds with one stone. His mood was so uplifted nothing could bring it down and he was sure of it.

 

“Hae? What are you doing?” Leeteuk approached him and saw him doing the dishes. The elder chuckled. “Seeing you do that doesn’t suit you at all. Let me handle that and just go to Hyukjae. See if he needed help with anything.”

 

Donghae smiled and nodded, removing his gloves and passing them to his cousin. He practically skipped his way out only to stop at the door, his eyes wide.

 

 

A customer spilled her coffee on the floor and Sungmin hurriedly stood up to take the mop. Hyukjae was assisting another customer that he didn’t notice the incident. After serving the coffee, the blond turned around and didn’t see that he was heading at the mess. He slipped, feeling his body leaning backwards and since he was not empty-handed, he didn’t have anything to hold on to. Closing his eyes, he waited for his back to just slam on the floor when he felt hands holding him by his underarms.

“Woah gotcha buddy. Careful.”

A very familiar voice rang behind him, the owner being the one who just saved him. The man took the tray on his hands and placed it on an empty table near them. Hyukjae took the chance to turn around to face his savior, a wide gummy smile already on his face.

“Kangin hyung!” He exclaimed and immediately enveloped the elder guy in a hug.

 

Donghae saw the whole thing and immediately forgot the line ‘his mood was so uplifted nothing can bring it down’. If there was someone he’s completely competing on Hyukjae’s attention with, it was Kangin, Leeteuk’s best friend since Shisus-knows-when.

 

 

 

 

Hyukjae put a slice of Red Velvet cake in front of Kangin and sat down in front of him, a smile not leaving his face.

“When did you come back?” He asked as he eyed the elder taking a bite from the cake.

“Just last week. I was busy with things that’s why I only visited now.” Kangin said with a smile. He looked up when Leeteuk stopped by their table and placed a cup of hot coffee.

“I’m aware you’re still busy but why did it take you a week to visit? I thought you already forget about us.” Leeteuk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter