nineteen

The Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh my ghad!” Donghae was clawing his hair with his siblings looking weirdly at him.

“What happened?” Sunny asked and rolled her eyes when she was answered with a groan.

“Yah!”

“Okay! Okay!” Donghae raised his hands in surrender when he saw his sister giving her a death glare, sure enough that he will receive a kick on the shin if he won’t answer her properly.

“I.. Sunkyu?”

“Yeah?”

“What would you do if I will tell you that I’m…” He bit his lip as he lowered his head, looking at his siblings behind his fringe.

“That you’re a what? Oppa if you’re going to tell us that you’re an alien then might as well-“

“I think I’m gay!”

Sunny looked at him dumbfounded while Chanyeol choked on his coffee.

“You’re what?”

“I.. well I don’t think I’m actually gay but I..”

“Aish Donghae hyung!” Chanyeol shouted but shut his mouth when his sister threw her a glare.

She then turned to the eldest and reached out to hold his hand. “Oppa, tell us what really happened so we won’t be confused. And in details.”

“I.. I kinda blurted out that I love Hyukkie.” Donghae whispered loud enough for his siblings to hear. The two exchanged glances and hid a smile.

“Did he hear it or..?”

“I think he did? I’m not sure though.” The brunette answered, frowning.

“Okay.. so.. you’re confused if you’re gay or what because..?”

The brunette pouted. “I’m not attracted to other boys. Yeah I find Sungmin hyung cute and everyone else does but.. I..”

“The only male you like this way is Hyukjae oppa.”

“Yeah. Actually I’m not even sure if I really like him that way.” He frowned cutely.

What he was saying was true. Everything came to him like a gallon of cold water was poured down on him. Those words left his mouth oh-so-naturally like it was supposed to be said right then. And of course he really does love Hyukjae, he’s his best friend after all. But why is it that the kind of love his mind is telling him that time was not in a friendly way?

He knew he shouldn’t have these kinds of thoughts about the blond but everything just felt so right like it’s meant to happen despite the fact that they have the same anatomy. He had always been affectionate towards Hyukjae since they were kids and that didn’t change until the present day instead it only became stronger.

But really, how in the world could he know that what he’s feeling is actually that kind of love?

 

The constipated look on his face was enough proof for his siblings to know what’s going on inside his mind. The two exchanged worried glances and sighed.

“Do you want some help?” Chanyeol asked after a while when he couldn’t take the awkward silence in their usually noisy house. Donghae stared back at him pleadingly.

The youngest put his coffee down the table and adjusted his glasses (Donghae wondered where he got those).

“Okay, we will start by asking you a few questions.” Chanyeol said and in an instant Sunny passed him a piece of paper. He unfolded it and it rolled down reaching the floor Donghae unconsciously dropped his jaw in disbelief.

“W-Wha- I thought just a few?!” The brunette exclaimed and of course, the two shot him a he’s-really-an-idiot look.

“It’s still blank. Calm your bro.” Chanyeol deadpanned as he showed his brother the blank white paper.

“Let’s just keep this going.” Sunny interrupted, too excited to ask questions that were already piling up in her mind.

“Okay.. So.. what happened yesterday that suddenly made you say those words?” The youngest asked as he started scribbling down the paper his question.

Donghae tilted his head to one side as he thought of what his answer should be because… he honestly doesn’t know.

“….I don’t know.”

Sunny almost fell on her chair when she heard her brother’s answer. “You don’t know?! It took you that long only to answer that you don’t know?!” She shrieked, not caring that she might turn her brothers deaf.

 Donghae scratched his head. “I really don’t know. It just slipped off my tongue when he ordered me to make him a snack.” He reasoned out.

Chanyeol looked knowingly at Sunny who nodded back at him.

“Okay. Next; When did you start having this kind of feeling, or thoughts?”

“Hmm..” The eldest hummed as he pursed his lips. “I don’t know, really. I think it was when he came out to me. Yes I always find him handsome or more like pretty but nowadays he seemed to be more attractive and gentle than before it’s like it’s my responsibility to look after him. And Yesung hyung’s words aren’t making my situation better!” He almost ripped his hair out of frustration when he remembered how helpful their cousin’s words were (not that they really helped him).

Sunny heaved a sigh fully understanding his situation. Yesung does give the best advices one could ask but they’re sometimes complicated to comprehend especially if you’re Donghae, if you know what she means.

“Hmm.. so.. what are your thoughts about Hyukjae hyung having a boyfriend?”

“I’m so pissed off I could kill someone.” The brunet answered in a heartbeat and thankfully Chanyeol was fast in writing.

“And why is that so?”

“I hate the thought of someone taking care of Hyukkie instead of me. I have that job for as long as I can remember and I’m not letting some random dude to do that to my best friend. Plus, Heechul hyung entrusted him to me.”

“And about Choi Siwon?”

Donghae scrunched his face. Just hearing his name is enough to ruin his day. Amongst all of his best friend’s admirers this one is the most annoying. He’s too blunt and open and if only Donghae could skin him alive he would.

“…I don’t think he needs to answer that one.” Sunny commented as Chanyeol nodded, both feeling the dark aura that suddenly enveloped their brother.

“Okay.” The youngest caught the eldest’s attention as he put the pen and the paper down. Honestly speaking they don’t even need that paper. They just want to mess with Donghae. But that’s not the point here. The latter looked expectantly at him.

“..Well?”

“You’re not really gay hyung.” Chanyeol finally said and gave his brother an assuring smile. “You just love Hyukjae hyung.” He continued and sighed.

“Ah finally. Took you long enough.”

Donghae gave them a questioning look. “..That’s it? What do you even mean by that?”

“It actually took the author nineteen chapters for you to realize your feelings Oppa.” Sunny deadpanned.

“Ooh.. I was that dense?” The eldest questioned.

“No. You’re not dense. You’re that stupid.”

“Ouch straight to the point Noona.” Their baby brother chuckled making Donghae pout deeply at them.

“On the bright side, now we can finally sing that song to them!” Chanyeol giggled.

“What song?”

“Ah that one with best friend thingy! Babe our love is so unreal I just wanna reach and touch you, squeeze you, somebody pinch me. This is something like a movie and I don’t know how it ends Babe but I fell in love with my best friend~.”

Both Donghae and Chanyeol visibly cringed at their sister’s shrieking voice that was unfortunately out of tune (and her engrish pronounciation didn’t do any good at all).

“Or maybe this one; Lucky I'm in love with my best friend. Lucky to have been where I have been. Lucky to be coming home again~.” 

“Okay noona that’s enough, please.” The youngest sighed as he massaged his now aching head.

“I think the main problem here is my love life and not our theme song.” Donghae groaned as he slouched on the chair. Besides being troubled, he’s also scared on what his feelings might bring to his relationship with Hyukjae.

“What should I do now?” He asked in a desperate voice and being the sadists that they are, both Chanyeol and Sunny grinned evilly.

“Court him, and show him how much you love him.” Chanyeol started.

“But it might be awkward because you’re not sure if he likes you back or maybe he’s already falling for Siwon-ssi.” Sunny supplied. Donghae groaned with their words not noticing the evil cackles from the two.

“Since when being in love with your best friend lucky?!” Donghae shouted exasperatedly as he banged his head against the table, hoping he would somehow find some peace of mind or maybe some helpful thoughts with this method.

 

 

Hyukjae was confused. He swore he heard Donghae mumbled those words but, the more he tried to convince himself the more it became impossible. He heaved a heavy sigh, his lips turned into a deep adorable pout.

"We now only talk once in a blue moon and all I could see is your pouting face." Heechul grunted at the other line. They're having their video conversation because the younger had bugged him for hours the moment Donghae left their home.

"Hyung~" Hyukjae whined and of course being the whipped older brother that he is, Heechul sighed.

"Okay what do you want me to do?"

The blond pursed his lips. "...I honestly don't know. I don't even know what I should do." He said, his voice slightly shaking. He's feeling mixed emotions. He doesn't know if he should be happy or scared because of the small hope that was once again starting to bloom inside him, a feeling that he's trying hard to suppress these past days.

"Should I confront him?" He asked after a while and his brother only looked blankly at him.

"Yeah do that if you want your friendship to end in an instant." The older deadpanned. It's not that he's discouraging his brother. They both know how slow and stupid the brunet was that if he will confront him straight to the point he will surely push Donghae away.

Hyukjae sighed, defeated. Of course he knew what his brother was implying. But he also knew that he's only this close to going crazy if he won't do anything.

Heechul stared at his brother. He wanted to help his baby brother so much and he knew he could do a lot. But of course, Hyukjae is his first priority. He couldn't take it if his plans would make the blond extremely sad. 

"Look, just observe him for a while okay? You're a law student. Use your strong instincts on your best friend. If you still don't know what to do that's the moment we will use my method okay?" He suggested. He knew his baby brother would agree since basically he doesn't have a choice.

Hyukjae nodded and smiled gratefully, still his sadness reflecting in his eyes that Heechul fought the urge to fly back home to comfort him, then kill the brunet afterwards.

"Thank you hyung."

"Don't thank me. You know I would do anything for my baby brothers." The elder dismissed with a wave, smiling

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter