sixteen

The Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae lifelessly pushed the cafe's door open. Lifting his head, he expected Donghae already there welcoming him with his adorable crooked smile but all he saw was Leeteuk busily wrapping his apron around his slim waist. The latter looked up and smiled softly at him. Usually, the eldest will greet him lively and will start talking animatedly while preparing coffee for them three, including Donghae. He surely sensed that their issue was not yet resolved and the blonde was thankful for that.

 

Sitting on one of the high stools purposely avoiding Donghae's chair, he stayed still and quiet as his eyes continued to follow the elder's movements. Placing a cup in front of him, Leeteuk took the high stool beside him and started drinking from his own cup.

 

"Did you two talk already?"

 

Grazing his thumb on the mug's lip, Hyukjae shook his head. "I went to bed pretty early and even turned my phone off. Baekhyun did tell me though that Donghae called him instead." He finished with a heavy sigh.

 

"Well, between the two of you you're obviously the one with the more sane mind so I'll support whatever you will do about him. That fish really needs to learn his lesson." Leeteuk said as he himself sighed just by thinking about his cousin.

 

Minutes later the cafe's door opened revealing Sungmin who's smiling brightly at them.

 

"Good morning!" He greeted so cheerfully the two couldn't help but genuinely smile back despite the slightly down atmosphere.

 

"Morning Sungmin-ah."

 

"Good morning Minnie hyung."

 

The older blonde went directly to the locker room to place his bag and fix himself, finally getting out with his apron in hand.

 

Sitting beside Leeteuk, Sungmin gratefully accepted the mug the eldest slid in front of him. Taking a sip, he sighed in contentment and carefully placed the mug down the countertop then leaned on his seat. He shot the eldest a questioning look to which was responded with a slight shake of head. He nodded back and tried to act as normal as possible, trying his best to finally lift Hyukjae's mood.

 

 

 

 

That particular morning was busy much to Hyukjae's relief that it was able to take his mind off Donghae. Wiping his forehead with the back of his hand, he heard the cafe's door opening. Smiling, he looked up and saw Ryeowook beaming brightly at him.

 

"Ryeowook-ah!"

 

The said guy waved excitedly at him and went straight to where he was. He led Ryeowook to a free table and placed the menu in front of him. The smaller guy ordered some waffles and a cup of hot coffee and after returning with his food, Hyukjae decided to join him for a moment after noticing that the number of customers already decreased besides, he knew Leeteuk won't mind.

 

He kind of regretted it though the moment he felt Ryeowook's eyes boring holes right on his face. Shifting uncomfortably on his seat, he cleared his throat.

 

"Uhm.."

 

"Something's wrong." Ryeowook muttered not as a question but as a statement. Being caught off-guard, the blonde could only gape at the younger like a struggling fish.

 

The smaller man took a short sip of his coffee before he put it down and casually leaned on the table, a worried expression sported on his pretty face.

 

"I heard that two handsome blondes are working with a handsome brunette spending his whole day here and I could only think of you and Donghae hyung that's why I decided to drop by. I didn't expect what I will or will not see though." Ryeowook finished, his gaze not tearing away from Hyukjae. The latter was not sure though if he should tell the other or not. But then, he guessed Ryeowook deserved even just a brief explanation on why Donghae was not around clearly knowing his best friend was the sole reason why he was here.

 

"We had an argument yesterday so... I'm really expecting him not to be here today." He said after a minute of silence. His eyes distanced while his mind trailed to his best friend, wondering how the other was doing. Is he also sad like him? Or is he still angry at him? Maybe he'll come later and apologize? Or maybe call him or even just a simple text of 'sorry'?

 

"I was not serious about what I said last time." The smaller man's angelic voice snapped him out of his deep thoughts. Confused, he looked back to the younger and raised his brows when he saw him smiling gently at him.

 

"I may have just met you recently but I noticed how there are hidden emotions between the two of you. And well.." Ryeowook trailed off as he smiled sheepishly at the blonde. "I just wanted to test the two of you though, much to my displeasure, both of you are so hardheaded." The smile turned into a small frown as he let out a heavy sigh.

 

Hyukjae was too dumbfounded to react and the other took it to continue with his words.

 

"Seeing how dense and stupid Donghae hyung is, why don't you give it a try?"

 

Those words seemed to have awaken something inside Hyukjae that he accidentally choked on his own spit.

 

"W-What?!"

 

"Oh come on hyung I know you like, no, love Donghae hyung. And as crazy as it may sound to you, I can see that he also likes you." Ryeowook explained with a small smile, his voice so casual like he's telling a boy that birds could fly.

 

Even though he wanted to beam widely and even jump for joy with the younger's words, Hyukjae knew the other was wrong. How in the world will Donghae like him that way when he kept on insisting that he's straight and that he only sees Hyukjae as his own brother? Maybe Ryeowook just mistook everything as something else.

 

He finally shook his head as he smiled sadly at the other. "He may be affectionate at me and quite protective but he never sees me that way. Yes he loves me but only as his best friend and nothing else." His voice cracked at the end of his statement and he noticed how the younger looked at him in concern. Still smiling, he raised his brow at the other. "Why are you even telling me this anyway? I thought you like my best friend?" He asked in a slightly teasing tone as to divert the topic.

 

Ryeowook only rolled his eyes on him. "I already told you I don't really like him hyung. And don't change the topic please." He slightly scolded the elder who pouted cutely at him.

 

"But seriously, you should tell him how you feel."

 

Hyukjae sighed. "I wish I could Wook-ah. Really, those confessions crossed my mind thousands of times but everytime I will look at him and be with him, that fear of losing my best friend suddenly overcomes everything placing all of my plans at the very back of my mind." He paused as he sniffed, trying to keep his emotions at bay. "I'd rather not have him know my true feelings and still keep my best friend than to let him know just to lost him in the end. I grew with him Ryeowook, I don't know if I'll survive without him by my side."

 

Ryeowook reached out and gently held the elder's hand, squeezing it lightly as to give him comfort. He was glad the other opened up to him like this. He will be able to explain everything to Heechul once he come back to school. 

 

He perfectly understand the dilemma of Hyukjae. People always prefer to fall in love with strangers than to fall in love with their best friend. Being in a situation like this is never easy. If you loved a stranger, once you confessed and got rejected, all you will lose is that one-sided love but once you experienced it with your best friend and that love is unfortunately unrequited, not only will you lose that love but also your best friend. It was very risky that's why many people are like the broken blonde before him. They choose to just swallow everything and stayed as their best friend than to tell their true feelings and permanently lost that one person they hold dearly before all of this roller coaster of feelings begin.

 

"I understand hyung but please, consider my advice. Feelings are needed not to be told. Actions are sometimes enough to know somebody's feeling towards you. Open your eyes and heart. Who knows? Your happy ending must be with your best friend after all." Ryeowook advised with a reassuring smile as he finally stood up, placed the money on the table and gave Hyukjae one last hug before he went out of the cafe leaving a still silent Hyukjae.

 

 

Opening the door, Ryeowook let out a yelp when he bumped into someone and immediately closed his eyes as he waited for his body to fall but it didn't come and instead, he felt strong arms wrapped securely around his thin waist. Slowly opening his eyes, he saw a handsome guy leaning closely at him, his face showing nothing but pure concern.

 

"Are you okay? I'm sorry I didn't see you coming." His breath hitched when he noticed how deep and husky the other's voice was. It was so masculine and definitely seemed like music to his ears he could listen to him forever. He bet this guy here could sing.

 

Feeling how hot his cheeks were, he cleared his throat as he unconsciously clung to the guy's shirt to help himself stand up. The stranger thankfully helped him up and he felt a little disappointed when those arms finally let go of him.

 

"The name's Jongwoon but you can call me Yesung. My cousin owns this cafe. You are?" Yesung asked with a small smile Ryeowook felt his knees going jelly. Awkwardly, he smiled back as his palms automatically met his jeans slightly wiping them on it because darn, this guy's making him sweaty and shaky.

 

"R-Ryeowook. Nice to meet you."

 

The elder's smile brightened. "Nice to meet you too! Would you like to come in first?" He asked but that smile fell when he saw the other shook his head.

 

"As much as I would love to, I'm sorry but I can't. I have to go and do something important." Ryeowook said, his voice lacing with disappointment. Hey it's not everyday you will bump into someone as gorgeous as this Yesung guy.

 

Seeing how Yesung's bright smile fell though, his mind automatically started thinking of something to make it up for the other seeing how he saved him from falling, literally. "I'll just see you tomorrow!" He blurted out and looked on his watch, 10:30am. "I'll be here tomorrow around this time of the day." He offered and felt himself melting when the elder's face once again bloomed with a beautiful smile he thought Donghae's cute grin was no match with Yesung's. And he was actually thankful that he was already able to clear things up with Hyukjae before he met this gorgeous guy in front of him.

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter