Eight heartbeat

Heart of the Ocean

" Ara, you'll team up with Suho. Both of you have the control over water so work on it together guys. "

Ara spun around to face the calm and strikingly handsome guy who immediately cracked a warm smile at her.

" We don't normally have guardians who possess the same gift but in your case, the Heart of the Ocean had divided itself into two. " Kris explained.

" And that's not all. You're missing the most important reason why - "

" Enough " Kris cut Tao off in a deadly tone before he could finish. " We shouldn't throw too much information at her right now. "

Suho rustled quietly over to the girl and took her arm gently. " The pond? " he asked courteously and Ara nodded. Kai and Kris watched as the pair headed away to practice. As much as Kai wanted to be with Ara, he knew that Suho would protect that girl with everything he had.

" Watch and learn " Suho flashed a pearly smile at the nervous girl who immediately felt as ease with the reassuring male. There was something distinct about him that was familiar to Ara for some reason.

 

" Man that was tough. " Baekhyun grumbled as he scuffed his foot on the ground. Unfortunately for him, he had been paired up with Kris for combat and there was nothing that he could do to win the leader. Light against Flight? Nuh uh.

" Shall we do this again Baek? " Kris slapped him on the back with an evil grin.

" You can go to hell. "

 

Ara's face was rosy with effort. It was a productive morning and she had managed to establish a firmer control over her power all thanks to Suho. He had been a wonderful person to work with and his words of encouragement had left Ara feeling strongly motivated. Sure, she wasn't anywhere close to the level of the other Guardians but she was on her way.

" You were amazing. " Kai whispered in her ear when he reached her side.

" You really think so? " 

" I know so. " He gave her a wink. Ara beamed at him, feeling thankful that she had someone supportive on her side. Kai just stared wonderingly at her. He couldn't seem to look away when she was smiling at him like that. He wondered if this was what they meant by falling in love. For a player like him, all the emotions that Ara was causing seemed too foreign. 

 

" Ara's special to Kai, isn't she? "

" Look at that guy, he's got it bad. "

" I don't blame him though! "

Kris gritted his teeth as he listened to the boys joking around at the back. He knew it himself, Kai was developing feelings for Ara. It angered him greatly even though he knew that he shouldn't be bothered by it. At the sane time, he couldn't help feeling relieved that Ara had someone like Kai to take care of her. Kai was extremely protective over the ones that he cared about and there was no doubt that Ara would be safe by his side.

It would be nice if I could be the one to protect her though.

The conflicted feelings had left Kris feeling confused. He felt himself being attracted to everything Ara did. The way she smiled, the way she would brush her hair away from her shoulders, the way her face would scrunch up in effort when she was practicing; everything. When she was in trouble, the amount of worry and anger that he experienced was way out of the normal limit. He knew that clearly. Yet he had Naeyong. Naeyong, whom he had loved so much before Ara appeared in front of him. However, Naeyong was starting to become easily jealous and spiteful. This was something he had not known her to ever display before. Truth be told, he didn't like this side of her one bit. Could it be that he had never loved Naeyong wholeheartedly?

 

" The maids are refurnishing your bedroom and it should be ready by tomorrow. You can sleep in my room tonight before your room is complete. " Kris nodded to Ara over dinner. Naeyong shot her a murderous glare while Kai glowered back at Naeyong. 

 

-

 

Ara sat up on the bed feeling bad. Kris had forced her to take the bed again while he slept on the couch. She knew that his back had been aching as she noticed him wincing during training today.

" Hey "

He opened one eye and turned over to look questioningly at her.

" I'm really grateful that you are allowing me to share your room but please, let me sleep on the couch. "

" Didn't we already went through this last night? I'm taking the couch and that's final. " He gave her a look that signalled the end of the discussion and turned his back on her.

Ara sighed and hopped off carefully before making her way to the couch. 

" Then I'll just sleep on the floor "

Kris bolted upright and stared at her in disbelief. " You want to sleep on the floor when there's a perfectly comfortable bed? What is wrong with you. "

Ara looked at the leader in the eye and exhaled. " Look, I'm not comfortable with people going out of their way to treat me nice. It just makes me feel bad and I don't think I will be able to get some sleep feeling guilty like that. "

Kris narrowed his eyes as he gazed at the girl in front of him. His expression softened as he noticed her sincere resolution.

" Then what do you propose we do? I won't feel good either if you were to sleep on this goddamn couch that's probably as hard as a rock. " He finally said in a gentle voice.

" Well, to be honest, I wasn't planning on going to sleep tonight seeing that we only have about 3 more hours before the sun rises. So you can just go ahead and take the bed. "

" Then let's talk. " Kris offered. " I want to know more about you. "

Ara widened her eyes in shock. She had always thought that the cold man was not interested in her affairs.

" Well? " 

" What do you want to talk about? " 

" Do you like Kai? " Kris's question threw Ara off guard.

" W-what? "

" Do you like Kai? " He repeated, gazing at her seriously.

Ara hesitated while biting her lip. She knew that he was asking about her feelings for Kai in a way other then just friendship. She treated him like a good friend but Ara wasn't stupid. She could tell that Kai saw her in a different light.

" Right now, he's just a good friend. But who knows? " Ara finally managed. This was the truth.

Kris frowned, unsatisfied with her answer. The first sentence would have been good enough without the last three words.

" What about you? When are you and Naeyong getting together officially? " Ara shot back. Kris stared at her, suprised at her sudden interest in Naeyong.

" We're as good as being official already, don't you think? " He answered while carefully measuring her expression. She nodded but her eyes were slightly bitter. 

" Was she being jealous? " He couldn't help wondering.

The minutes ticked by as the two sat side by side on the couch asking different questions about each other. Ara was starting to know Kris better and she finally realised that the heart of stone she thought he had was not so cold after all.

" What's your favourite flower? " Kris whispered.

" Li-lly..... " Ara's head dropped onto his shoulder as her eyes flickered shut.

Kris smirked as he looked down at the girl who was fast asleep.

" What was that you said about wanting to stay up all night? " he murmered softly, reaching out to brush her hair which covered her face.

Strangely, he felt contented staying by her side this way. He could feel her deep breathing and it made him feel at peace. He adjusted her head so that she was leaning against his chest instead and placed his arm protectively around her.

Just tonight. Just for tonight, let me forget about Naeyong and stay by Ara like this. Everything will return back to normal in the morning.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

An Update! I'll try to update as much as can, I promise :D