Sixth heartbeat

Heart of the Ocean

" Yi fan...? "

Kris had just left Ara's room when a familiar voice rang out hesitantly behind him. He turned around reluctantly. " Naeyong, I don't think I'm able to face you right now after finding out what you did to Ara. "

" I'm sorry! I really am. Try to think about it from my point of view alright? " Naeyong rushed forward to grab his arm before Kris could leave. He stiffened and tried to pull his arm back but Naeyong held on tightly. " Please listen... " her voice trembled causing Kris to soften his heart.

He turned to her and stared, waiting for the girl to start her explanation. Naeyong gazed up at Kris with puppy eyes and put on the most pitiful expression that she was capable of.

" It has always been just us. Now with Ara, I just felt uncomfortable having a stranger in our secret life. I know that my actions haven't been the most mature but I promise to get along with her from now. I know how much you value peace in our life and I will do it for you. " Naeyong's lips trembled and a fustrated tear spilt over her soft cheeks. She stumbled forward and buried her face in his broad chest. " I'm sorry.... Yi fan "

Kris sighed and wrapped his arms around her stiffly. " Don't ever do something like that again, okay? "

Naeyong sniffed and she nodded in his embrace. " I love you "

Kris frowned when those words came out of . As much as he had thought he always loved her, he couldn't bring himself to say the words back to Naeyong this time. What's happening to me? Kris wondered. Why am I actually picturing Ara in my arms right now?

 

Ara sat down heavily on her bed. She knew that she had probably came to develop feelings for the cold leader. As much as she knew that he was with Naeyong, she didn't know how to let her feelings go. Ara sighed and stood up, feeling her mind clouding with thoughts and desires. " I must not feel this way about him. " Ara said out loud, feeling determined. She left her room and decided to find Kai to talk to. To her suprise, Naeyong and Kris were enveloped in a hug right in the hallway. Ara let out a small gasp and returned to her room swiftly. She lifted her hand to her chest feeling a painful throb of her heart. So this was how it feels to like a person who will never return your feelings.

" Ara let's have dinner " Kai burst into Ara's room and peered around. Just then, he caught sight of a small figure huddled against the bed frame sobbing.

" Ara! " he rushed over and kneeled down beside the girl. " Who hurt you? " Kai growled, consumed with worry when he saw the tears on Ara's face. No matter who did this, he would kill the bastard.

" I'm fine, I just really miss home." Ara muffled a sniff and wrapped her arms rightly around herself. It was partly true, she missed her parents greatly. Another reason which she wasn't going to disclose was about Kris. She quickly brought up her hands to wipe away the embarrassing tears. " Sorry for letting you see this Kai, I- " Before she could continue, she felt herself being pulled against his warm body. Ara's eyes widened when she realised that his arms were around her. Kai knew that he was being impulsive but he couldn't stop himself. it was a reflex move for him when he saw her in this state. 

" Just cry. I'll ........I'll listen to your troubles. I'll be here. " Kai rubbed her back soothingly and muttered. Something tore at his heart when he saw Ara cry right in front of him. He didn't know how to explain his feelings right now. He had toyed around with countless women before, just like his brothers. With their wealth and looks, girls flocked to them and begged for their attention. Their were all casual flings and were forgotten immediately after. Kai had never felt what he was feeling towards Ara before. Just then, Ara sobbed harder and he could feel her tears staining his shirt. He tightened his grip protectively around her and her hair gently. I'll take care of you

" Feeling better? "

Ara nodded sheepishly and pulled out of his arms. " Sorry about that. "

Kai grinned and shook his head. " We all have times like that. "

" You too? " Ara teased. " You wish " Kai snorted causing Ara to fling a pillow at him. He ducked her assult swiftly and threw it back at her so fast that she didn't even have time to blink.

" It hurts Kai! " Ara whimpered when the pillow smacked her right in her face turning it red. " You started it " Kai laughed and scooted over to her. " Alright I'm sorry " He her reddened cheek softly. Ara blushed at his casual touch and stiffened. 

" You guys it's time for dinner! " Luhan's voice came through the wooden door and startled the pair. Kai stood up awkwardly and tousled his hair. He hesitated for a moment before taking Ara's hands. " Let's go, I'm starving " Kai grumbled.

Everyone fell silent when the couple entered the room hand in hand. To Ara, it felt like an action of a brother. To the rest of the guys and Kris included, it meant a whole new different thing. Kai dropped Ara's hand when he noticed everyone staring at them and shoved his hands in his pocket. Ara seemed oblivious to the tensed atmosphere in the room and went to sit between Kai and Sehun as it was the only empty seat left. Sehun's face darkened when she sat down beside him but for some reason, he didn't feel irritated or angry. That suprised him. Dinner was served and everyone began their own conversations. Kris remained silent during the whole session though. He felt outraged when he saw Kai holding Ara's hands. Kai had always treated women as playthings and was the worst player among the 12 guys. His reputation was even worse than Kris himself. However, Kai's ridiculous good looks and deep voice had always attracted the most number of girls despite his background as a heartbreaker. Knowing Kai, Kris could tell that Ara was different to him. Kris knew that there was no reason to be against this but his heart roared in protest. Brother or not, he would not be able to stand it if they were to start dating.

" What's wrong? " Naeyong noticed Kris tightening his grip around the steak knife. He shook his head and attacked his salad viciously. Naeyong narrowed her eyes and turned to the direction that Kris had been staring at. Just as I suspected, Ara.

The rest of the night was filled with laughter and friendly bickering among the brothers. Tomorrow would be a new day of training and everyone wanted to relish a night of relaxation before the torture continued. Kris was unnaturally silent as the clock ticked by. He noticed that Kai paid extreme attention to Ara and Ara seemed comfortable with the guy as well. Too comfortable for Kris's liking. Not just that, but the rest of the guardians were starting to treat Ara as one of their own and interacting with her as well. The guys were all hormonal after all and even if they meant no harm, their close distance with Ara made Kris uncomfortable. This was suprising to know as he had been cool when they treated Naeyong that way. He understood that being flirtatious was just part of their nature. Ara was just too desirable for her own good, Kris shook his head.

" Lets play a game! " Tao exclaimed when things were starting to get boring. Choruses of agreement rang out among the boys and everyone gathered in a circle. To her displeasure, Ara found herself beside Sehun. It would be awkward if she were to swap positions with Xiumin who was on her left so she decided to remain where she was. 

" Truth or dare " Tao declared in an ominous tone as he gave the glass bottle a rough spin. All eyes landed on Ara as the bottle pointed in her direction. 

" Dare. " Ara crossed her arms in anticipation. She believed that it wouldn't be anything that she couldn't handle and she preferred this to being asked an embarrassing question.

" Give the one on your right a kiss. " Chen smirked. " French " Tao added in and the 2 guys hi-fived while snickering. Ara's eyes widened as she gasped out loud. Beside her, she could hear Sehun choking. 

" Chen.. " Kai warned in a low voice. 

" It's just for fun! Besides, that's what people normally do. " Chen defended himself while Kai stared unhappily at him. Ara bit her lip and glanced at Sehun who had a pokerface. The man refused to meet her gaze. He didn't know how to react. Meanwhile, Kris balled his hands into fists and glared at Chen and Tao who were busy egging Ara on. These two s, they better watch their damn bloody back.

" I.... I  " Ara stammered as her face turned a deep crimson red. " Alright I'll make it easier for you. Just a kiss on the cheek will do. " Chen declared. He knew that the relationship between the cold maknae and Ara was not good and he had hoped to release the tension between the two. 

" Just do it already, will you. It's your own fault for not choosing truth. " Sehun spat in her direction. He knew that there was no way the guys would allow her to get out of this. 

" Don't say things like that to Ara " Kai hissed at Sehun, venom filling his voice. The room fell silent as the 2 maknaes were generally on good terms. Sehun ignored Kai.

" Ara! " Tao motioned impatiently for Ara to carry out her dare. As much as she was unwilling, she knew that it was something she had to do. " Alright... " Ara turned reluctantly to Sehun who immediately stiffened. She inched closer to the unmoving man and slowly planted a light kiss on his cheek. The room exploded in whistles and wolf calls when she drew back and she could see Sehun gritting his teeth. " Sorry " Ara whispered, knowing that he could hear her.

Sehun's heartbeat quickened when he felt Ara's soft lips on his skin. Her touch was gentle and he could feel a burn at the place where her lips just left. Somehow, the hatred and irritation that he had for the girl was fading away and he found himself softening to her. Of course, he cared too much about his pride and ego to just treat her kindly even though it was something he actually wanted to do. 

The only 2 people in the room not amused by everything was Kai and Kris. Both men were now giving death stares to Chen while Chen fidgeted uncomfortably.

" Right next. " Tao hastily said noticing that Kai's face was darkening. The burning in Kris's eyes were also hard to ignore. The bottle pointed towards Luhan this time. 

" Truth " Luhan glanced at Ara and said almost immediately.

" Who is the prettiest girl you have ever seen? " D.O asked, his large eyes twinkling mischieviously.

Luhan alternated between Naeyong and Ara, deciding on his choice. Naeyong immediately sat up straight and smiled sweetly at the boyish angel-faced man. 

" Ara. " Luhan finally said, giving the suprised girl a wink. Naeyong hissed in displeasure and looked down, feeling jealousy take over her emotions. Ara blushed and looked down as well, swallowing a gulp. 

" She sure is the prettiest. " Kris found himself thinking. Judging from the indulgent smile that Kai was gazing at Ara with, his thoughts were probably the same. 

" You're really pretty too Naeyong! The 2 of you girls are actually equally pretty. " Luhan noticed the clear look of unhappiness on Naeyong's face and hastened to explain. Naeyong forced herself to give a gracious smile to Luhan. " It's okay, I don't mind. Ara is truly pretty. "

Sehun stole a quick glance at the girl beside him and he had to agree despite himself. As much as he had hated her in the beginning, he, like the rest of the guys did not fail to notice her large puppy eyes framed by double eyelids and long eyelashes. The rosebud mouth and dimples that caved in whenever she smiled had managed to make Sehun look at her more times then he would ever admit. 

The game progressed throughout the night and thankfully for Ara, she wasn't picked again. It was nearing midnight when D.O suggested to tell horror stories.

" What are ghosts compared to the monsters that exist in our world? " Chanyeol scoffed at the idea while rolling his eyes. 

" Oh yeah? Let's see if you will be able to sleep peacefully after we're finished. " Tao shot back.

" Tao you're in no position to talk. I recall someone screaming like a girl when the lightbulb burst while he was showering. " Luhan replied boredly, stretching out his legs. " If I was not wrong, the exact words shouted by that someone were " Help me, I don't want to die so young!" " he continued while Tao turned his back on Luhan pouting.

" Let's start the stories now! " he called out before Luhan could spill any more of his shameful moments. " I'll get the ball rolling. " Suho calmly started while everyone huddled closer together settling comfortably. In the eerie darkness, the whole atmosphere made Ara uncomfortable. The periodic ticking of the grandfather clock created a rhythmn that further contributed to the stiffling environment. " Don't worry, I'm here. " The sudden whisper in her right ear made Ara jump. Kai smirked and moved closed to her.

" And then the old woman disappeared, never to be found again. " D.O finished grandly. 

" That wasn't scary at all puhlease. " Xiumin called out scathingly. 

" Ara did you - " D.O turned to the girl and paused. Kai placed a finger to his lips and nodded towards the sleeping girl on his shoulder. Halfway through the stories, Ara felt her eyelids getting heavier and heavier. Without knowing, she tilted forward. Kai had gently guided her head to rest comfortably on his wide shoulders. Kris arubtly stood up. He could not bear to watch Kai being intimate with Ara anymore. " Sleeping now. Training tomorrow guys. "

" But Yifan, I'm scared after all those stories. Stay with me for awhile? " Naeyong pouted, gazing up at Kris. " I'm tired, sorry. " He replied shortly and turned to head up the stairs.

" Issues. He has issues. " Tao and Xiumin chanted at the same time. Naeyong frowned and flounced away from the living room as well. The guys slowly dispersed to retire to their rooms while Kai carefully lifted up Ara, making sure to not let his movements jolt her awake. He manaed to open the door to her room effortlessly and gently placed her on her bed, pulling the covers over her sleeping frame. The moonlight fell on Ara's peaceful face, illuminating it. Kai reached out a hand to her cheek and planted a kiss on her forehead before turning to leave. What are you doing to my heart, Park Ara.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I hope you guys are enjoying this story as much as I'm enjoying writing it!

 

Yes I do. I do I do I do HAHAHA