Thirteenth heartbeat

Heart of the Ocean

The girl's eyes flickered open. Light was streaming in from the curtains beside the huge glass window and she could hear the birds chirping outside. Oddly, her mind seemed clouded. Ara struggled into an upright position awkwardly as her limbs were feeling sore. She jumped as her elbow collided against something warm. Kai

He groaned as he lifted up his head while massaging the sore area where Ara had hit him. " I'm so sorry! I didn't see you there! " Ara quickly burst out, feeling worried as she noticed a bump slowly appearing on his forehead. She frowned as he just stared at her blankly. " Is there something on my face? "

" Ara. Ara "

Kai pulled Ara tightly towards him while almost crushing her ribs in the process. " You're awake. "

Ara struggled against his warm chest as she gasped for air. " K-kai "

" Are you okay? How are you feeling? " Kai demanded while scanning her face anxiously.

Ara frowned as she tried to decipher his weird behaviour. Not only was he sitting right next to her when she was sleeping, he was also acting really weird. 

" Did something happen? "

 

-

 

Ara shivered as she learnt the whole truth from Kai. Someone had did this to her. On purpose. She couldn't help but feel terrified that there were people out there who wanted her dead.

" Hey, don't look so scared. I'll protect you. " Kai murmured worridly as he read the fear in her brown eyes. He shifted closer to her until he could feel her warmth. " I'll be here alright? " He gently her shoulders and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ears.

" Ara?! " Tao 's mouth fell open as he stood in the doorway. 

" Hey Tao! " Ara grinned broadly. Tao stood still for a moment before dashing out again. Kai chuckled softly and looked down at her. " In 5, 4, 3, 2, - "

" Ara! " 10 boys burst in while slamming the door against the wall. Sehun just strolled behind even though the look of worry on his face was pretty obvious. 

" I'm fine, if anyone is curious. " Ara laughed while looking at all of them. The relief was apparent on all of their faces especially Kris, Ara noted with a jolt in her heart.

" You're fine now? " Kris moved quickly past the other guys to examine Ara. She nodded and smiled at him. Just looking at that smile, Kris could feel a huge weight being lifted off from his shoulders.

" Oh joy. " Naeyong muttered sarcastically at the back.

Chanyeol and Lay had to jump in front of Kai to prevent him from charging towards Naeyong.

Kris sighed, " Naeyong that's enough. I'm serious. You have to stop being childish. " Naeyong looked at him in disbelief before storming out of the room after throwing a look of intense hatred at Ara.

" If only looks could kill, I would have been dead. " Ara thought silently to herself.

" 8 days, and you're finally back with us. " Kris gave Ara a disarming smile which suprised her. She had never seen him smile so sincerely before. His eyes lighted up and his usually cold face became warm. From the looks on the guys' face, they were equally suprised as well.

" Hmph. Kris actually smiled. I didn't know his facial muscles still worked. " Tao whispered to Baekhyun who just shrugged good naturedly.

" I. Heard. That. "

" . "

 

-

 

The boys left Ara alone to freshen up before dinner. She tugged on the sleeve of her grey sweater and adjusted her skirt before turning to leave the room. Just as she was shutting the door behind her, a movement caught her eye. Ara yelped, thinking that it was someone with bad intentions who wanted to harm her again.

" Shh. It's just me. "

" K-kris. "

He towered over the girl as he looked down at her. " I wanted to pass you something before we join the rest. "

Ara's eyes widened as Kris gently lifted up her wrist and clasped his hands over her bracelet. When he removed them, there was a tiny gold feather dangling beside her crystal heart charm.

" It's a belated gift. " He placed his hands into his pocket and waited for her reaction. Delicate yet strong, just like you.

Ara smiled as she examined the new addition on her bracelet. She was too caught up in admiring her gift to notice Kris's intense gaze. He couldn't help himself. Kris could not tear his eyes away from her face. Her eyes, her smile, everything about Ara attracted him. It was almost as if she was his own personal gravity. At that moment, Kris wanted so badly to let Ara know of his feelings. His eyes caught onto her pink lips and the urge to press his lips against her's suddenly overtook him. However. shards of guilt pierced his heart as Naeyong came into his mind. She may be easily jealous and sensitive but they had shared many memories together after all. No matter what, he had promised his love for her. What kind of a man would he be if he were to go against that promise? 

" Kris? Hello? " Ara waved her hands in front of his face.

" Sorry, I was thinking about something. Come on, time for dinner. " Kris composed his face and turned around towards the kitchen without waiting for Ara. He knew that if he continued on being so close to her, he would not be able to control himself. 

 

" You should eat more. " D.O nagged as he scopped an enormous serving of vegetables for Ara.

" Beef. Here " Tao practically emptied the entire pot onto Ara's already overflowing plate.

" Are you thirsty? I'll get you some orange juice. " Xiumin jumped out of his chair and sprang towards the fridge before Ara could protest.

They was being over attentive towards Ara and she felt uncomfortable. " Guys, you don't have to do this. I'm perfectly alright. "

" Everyone have been worried about you for the past few days. Just let them do whatever they want. It makes them feel better, you know. " Kai winked at Ara while placing his arms casually behind his head.

" Not exactly everyone. " Chanyeol amended. " Speaking of which, where's Naeyong? "

Kris frowned as he noticed her empty seat. Naeyong had never skipped dinner before. 

" Probably scheming of more ways to hurt Ara. " Kai hissed while his face darkened.

" You know that Naeyong wouldn't do that. " Luhan spoke up after glancing at Kris who nodded. Kai rolled his eyes and turned around to face Ara.

" Listen, whatever they say, I don't trust Naeyong. Don't get too close to her. " He ordered, ignoring the looks that Kris and Luhan were giving him.

Ara bit her lip and remained silent. She knew that Kai was being protective for her own good but at the same time, she felt that Naeyong would never go to such an extent to harm her. 

Kris felt a sharp kick at his foot and looked up. Luhan was looking back at him with a significant look. Once he caught the leader's eye, he nodded towards Ara and mouthed a question. Kris shook his head while Luhan sighed. He knew that the guy was asking if Ara knew about his feelings yet.  Honestly. Kris felt that it would be better if Ara remained in the dark about this. He did not want to break his promise to Naeyong and it would be best for Ara, and for everyone else if Kris just kept his feelings to himself. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My school holidays have ended....

NO.

 

And look at Kris, how cute is he HAHAHA