Thirty first heartbeat

Heart of the Ocean

" Who would have thought that the leader of the guardians would willingly throw his life away for an insignificant girl? " 

Kris hissed in anger at his insulting words. " You have no idea how significant she is! "

TOP raised his eyebrows as he contemplated for a quick second. His features arranged into an understanding smile as he figured out Kris's mind.

" You betrayed Naeyong. You fell in love with Ara. " He grinned handsomely.

Ara's head whipped towards the leader who remained silent. Kris dropped his head as he avoided the girl's inquisitive gaze.

" K-kris? "

" Yes. I did. " The tall man finally answered under Ara's disbelieving stare. TOP chuckled as he eyed the couple under his control.

Moving closer to the girl, TOP shot Kris a look that made him flinch. " So what would you do if I kissed your girl in front of you? "

Ara's eyes widened as she realized his intentions. The leader's eyes hardened as he watched TOP slowly brought his lips towards her pink ones. Ara strained as far away as possible as she could from the approaching man but the rope prevented her from going any further. She could hear Kris snarling under his breath as his lips brushed against hers gently.

" I'll kill you myself I swear! " 

" You can't. " TOP leaned away from Ara as he continued. " By the way, she tastes amazing. "

Kris howled in complete rage while Ara tried to hold back her tears. She felt disgusted by that brief contact, tainted almost.

TOP leaned against the wall casually as he surveyed the scene in front of him. Kris was glaring at him with intense anger in his dark orbs while Ara seemed on the verge on losing conscious. " Does your leg hurt badly, Ara? "

The girl lifted up her head weakly to face him with as much loathing as she could muster. TOP slowly strolled forward to where the girl was and with one swift movement, curled his fingers around the blade and pulled it right out of her flesh. Ara screamed in pain as tears flowed down her bruised face. The look of pain and terror on Kris's face had given TOP the satisfaction he wanted. Never in his life would he have guessed that the cold and emotionless leader would be capable of such expressions.

" How does it feel to see her like that? " He drawled out as he winked at Kris. The leader's lips curled up in a horrifying snarl as he struggled in vain against the thickly coiled ropes. 

A cannon was fired somewhere outside as TOP narrowed his eyebrows. Turning to the two, he gave them a small wave before exiting the room. " I'm not done with you guys yet, we'll continue this game later on. "

Kris examined the frail girl in front of him as stabs of pain shot through his heart with every wound he noticed. Her rosy cheeks were no longer visible as patches of yellowing and purplish bruises stained her face. Bloody gashes traveled up her arms and wrists while bright red droplets of blood continued dripping from her thigh.

" Ara... "

The girl hmm-ed slightly in response, not even bringing her head up to look at him. She didn't have the strength to face him even though she badly wanted to. There were so many things that Ara wanted to ask Kris. Did he really mean what he said in the beginning? That she was actually significant to him, someone important in his heart?  

" I'm so sorry... "

Ara managed a weak shake of her head to tell him that it wasn't his fault. 

" How... how did they managed to capture you? "

" TOP... he came into my r-room. " The girl coughed before continuing in a voice so soft that the man had to strain his ears. " I was waiting for you to come in but- "

" Waiting for me? " Kris faced the girl with confusion portrayed over his face.

" Naeyong... said.... she s-said that you had something to discuss with me. "

At those words, the man stiffened. He had said no such thing to Naeyong. Realization stricked him as he stumbled across the most terrible conclusion. Naeyong did this.

 

-

 

Luhan's face paled as he trespassed the leader's mind. 

" Did something happen to them? Are they still alive? " Tao immediately questioned in fear as he noticed his brother's expression.

" Naeyong was the one. She helped them get Ara. " He whispered as he tried to wrap his mind around this ridiculous logic. How could Naeyong ever do something like that? She was practically their sister. She may have her spiteful moments but no, she would never do such a thing. Kris must have gotten it wrong. 

" Naeyong? That's not possible. " Tao murmured. " She would never do such an evil thing. "

" Exactly what I was thinking. Forget about that, it's probably just a misunderstanding. Come on, we have to continue. The faster we get them back, the better. "

 

-

 

" They will come for us. Don't worry. "

" I know. " The girl replied as she kept her eyes shut. Kai would definitely come for her, there was no doubt at all that he would just do nothing.

" I'm sorry for loving you. "

Ara forced her eyes opened as she heard his words. 

" In case anything happens, I just want you to know that. " Kris looked down as he grimaced. " I'm truly sorry. "

The girl wanted to say something but her head just dropped limply to the side. Kris almost lost his mind with worry as Ara fainted in his sight. No matter how hard he tried, the ropes clung to him like death. There was no way he could even free himself the slightest.

" Hurry up guys. " He mentally thought, hoping for Luhan to pick his plea up.

 

-

 

Kris sighed in frustration and anxiety as he glanced towards Ara. She was still not conscious but at least her leg wound had finally stopped bleeding. He wondered how long more were the guys going to take. Before Kris left for Ara, he had left a slip of paper under Sehun's door. He prayed that they would figure his plan out.

It wasn't going to be easy. This, he knew. It wasn't a matter of just rescuing Ara. It was an attack mission. They had to silence everyone present to prevent them from ever going after the girl again. Kris knew from the very start that this was something they needed to do. The people here had no powers at all unlike the Guardians and the Guards. However, they had something much more deadly. They were known to be so devious and brutal that no one, even the elders themselves, wanted anything to do with them. These people had no feelings or empathy.

Several hours passed by and Kris sighed in relief that TOP hadn't return to hurt Ara further. He couldn't care less if he himself was injured. Kris didn't want the girl to undergo any more pain. He was sure that she couldn't take it anymore. At this point of time, he would have been willing to give up his life in exchange for her wellbeing.

A rustling came from the door as Kris turned towards the sudden noise.

" That was a great plan, duizhang. " Tao smirked as he caught his leader's eyes. However, the man's face fell at the sight of Ara.

" Ara! What did- "

" Tao! This isn't the time. Hurry up. " Kris shot, cutting Tao off as he glared worriedly at the door. None of their powers worked here and Kris feared that this would be to their disadvantage. Sure, they had strength in combat but the people they were dealing with could not be taken lightly. 

Tao hastily sliced apart the ropes which held Kris and the moment he was freed, the man rushed towards Ara, freeing her too and taking her petite frame in his arms.

Meeting each other's eyes, they sprinted towards the opening of the room while keeping a watchful eye. Somewhere, they knew that the others were busy causing their distraction.

A disturbing scene greeted the two men as they reached the entrance. Both masked figures and their brothers were in a clash so violent that blood stains covered the rubble on the hard ground. Whose blood was it? One of them or one of their own?

Tao bit his lip in horror as he stared at everything that was going on. This wasn't part of their plan at all. From the corner of his eye, he saw Baekhyun frantically dodging a fatal blow from a tall figure as he in turn pulled a punch which was blocked. Chen's lip was bleeding as he swung his leg, hitting the figure straight in the stomach. TOP's eyes glinted as he spotted Ara in Kris's arms. He disengaged himself from the ongoing fight and reached the three.

" Suprise attack huh? " He smirked as he faced the leader. Under his grin, anger was boiling dangerously within his cold blood. TOP hated being taken for a fool. He was going to make them pay.

" Just so you know, I mean it when I say this. You came as one but not everyone of you would be making it home tonight. Alive. " He sneered. 

As much as he didn't want to admit it, Kris knew that the chances of them pulling through this wasn't high. None of their powers worked in this hellhole, including Lay's healing gift. If things spiraled out of control, everything could go drastically wrong.

Chanyeol's angry yell broke through the commotion as they realized that D.O was on the floor bleeding heavily. His huge eyes were glazed over as he clutched at this arm which seemed to be in a weird angle. His opponent was advancing so rapidly that all he could do was to back away as fast as he could. Thankfully, Luhan appeared right in front of him as he landed a kick squarely in the masked man's face.

" Get Kyungsoo! " Luhan directed towards Tao as he continued to attack his own opponents who were after his blood. Tao returned supporting a weak D.O

TOP narrowed his eyes but before he could do anything, Suho elbowed his head so hard that the man was thrown against the wall which shuddered violently at his weight. 

" That's for hurting my sister, you goddamn bastard. "

TOP groaned in pain as he clutched his head between his palms. The man stood up but immediately fell onto the floor as his knees buckled in pain. Kai smirked as he came to stand beside Suho. He had already broke the neck of his opponent. Anger and worry for Ara had ignited a huge flame in Kai who fought viciously with all his might. His smirk was wiped away from his handsome face when the man spotted Ara limp in Kris's arms.

" Ara... She.. she- "

" She's going to be alright. " Kris met his eyes as he nodded while clenching his fist. Nearing the man, Kai chuckled as he noticed TOP's wavering expression. " I'm going to kill you personally for doing that to Ara. "

For a moment, horror flickered in the man's cold eyes but it was quickly replaced with a smug grin. At the same time, a force behind flung Kai aside as Kris shouted a warning. One of the masked figures reached Kris in a split second. The Guardians had just enough time to see a glinting sharp tip as the man directed the weapon towards the unconscious girl.