Fourth heartbeat

Heart of the Ocean

" Kris! My feet hurts " Nae Yong turned to Kris and whined, leaning her weight against Kris's broad shoulders.

Kris turned to Nae Yong in suprise. " Do you need Lay? "

" No, I'll be fine after awhile " Nae Yong replied sweetly, placing her arms around Kris as she giggled up at him. Kris smiled down at her, holding her waist. The rest of the guys paid no attention to their little exchange as they were used to it. Ara, however, frowned as she noticed how close the two people were. As much as she didn't like Kris being so cold to her, she had to admit, she felt a little jealous at the moment.

" Park Ara, what's wrong with you " Ara thought sullenly to herself.

Nae Yong knew that Ara was watching them and she smirked silently. He's mine so Ara, keep your funny ideas to yourself.

 

" Let's go, it's time for lunch " Kai nudged Ara and flashed a small grin at her. The others were already leading the way back to the mansion. Ara smiled back at him, glad that they were finally comfortable with each other. 

Everyone gathered around the oval table with Ara in between Kai and Luhan. Nae Yong and Kris were directly opposite them and they were whispering to each other. For some weird reason, Ara felt her heart ache. 

" Hey, you okay? " Luhan noticed Ara's grimace.

She nodded back at him, making him smile in return. " Sorry for being kind of cold to you before, I'll take care of you from now on. "

" Thanks " Ara beamed back at the angelic looking guy.

A magnificent lunch was served and everyone tucked in at once, exhausted from the harsh training. It was training and training and more training after lunch so by the time the sun set, the Guardians were all sprawled out on the huge sofa in the living room.

" Man, that was horrible " Chanyeol grumbled out loud, his voice muffled by the cushion his face was covered in.

" So... your first day, how was it? " Kris turned to Ara questioningly. Ara was so drained that she had to struggle to listen. " Okay " she finally managed in a small voice. Ara's obvious weakness made Kris a little worried. She must have overworked herself today

" She'll be alright. " Nae Yong replied, snuggling closer to Kris. " But I'm tired, carry me up to my room? " She whimpered. The rest of the guys rolled their eyes at Nae Yong's aegyo while Kris laughed indulgently at her. Standing up, he placed his arms around her and lifted Nae Yong easily before ascending the stairs.

" They sort of like each other. Even though they're not officially together yet, it's practically assumed that they are. Kris even stopped his playboy nature for her. " Kai explained to Ara, mistaking Ara's hurt expression for a confused one.

" Ah... " Ara replied, looking down at her feet. The girl didn't know why she was feeling upset at what happened. She couldn't explain the subtle feeling of hurt arising in her.

Ara trudged up the stairs and returned to her room to retire for the night. It had been a long day. It was only her second day here and yet, she was feeling extremely homesick. Ara missed her old life and most of all, she missed her parents. They may not be her real parents but they were the ones Ara loved most in this world. Clutching the family photo in her hands, Ara cried herself to sleep.

 

There was a woman in front of Ara. She had long black hair and her pale dress was dancing wildly in the wind as she leered at the young girl. She was advancing at such a fast pace while Ara remained rooted to the spot. Her legs couldn't move and she wasn't able to scream. As the old woman approached, Ara noticed her terrifying features. Help  

Ara jolted awake, sweat dripping down her face. Looking around wildly, Ara felt her heart rate slowly subside as she realised that it was only a dream. This wasn't the first time the girl had this dream. It seemed so real that tears began pouring down Ara's cheeks. She looked around the room shrouded in darkness and shuddered. The room was so huge that Ara felt uncomfortable. She had always shared a room with her parents and the girl wasn't used to an environment like that. " I won't be able to sleep tonight after that dream " Ara muttered to herself. She decided to go downstairs and take a breather to calm down.

As Ara left her room, she collided with something hard and warm. Gasping, she tumbled back only to feel a pair of strong hands support her waist before she could topple backwards.

" Careful " A low voice startled Ara, it was Kris.

" S-sorry. " she stammered. Kris looked down at her in suspicion.

" Why are your eyes red, have you been crying? " He frowned.

Ara shook her head but before she could defend herself, his hand shot up to touch a dried tear on her cheek. " I don't like people to lie to me "

" I had a nightmare. It was nothing " Ara whispered, holding her head low.

Kris stared at Ara for a long moment. " Do you want to talk about it? "

" No " Ara replied softly. She didn't feel comfortable revealing her disturbing dream to the cold and intimidating guy. 

Kris hesitated, before taking her hand. " Follow me " He muttered to a shocked Ara. Her eyes widened as she noticed Kris's fingers interlocked with her own. What is he doing

Kris led Ara up several flights of stairs before arriving at a rusty metal gate. He unlocked it and the door swung opened with a loud creak, startling Ara. Without saying anything, he gestured for her to enter.

Ara gazed up in wonder as she stepped onto the large rooftop. Thousands of stars were twinkling among the dark night sky. It was so beautiful and magical to look at that Ara stared for a long time. 

" I come up here when I can't sleep too. " Kris whispered beside Ara after some time, breaking the silence.  The girl tore her gaze away from the stars and focused on Kris. He was staring at the stars as well. In the moonlight, his dark brown eyes shone and the shadows casted on his face illuminated it, making him seem much more handsome. Ara couldn't help admiring his beauty. She blushed when he turned to look at her. " The next time you have nightmares, just come up here. The stars will make everything better. There's a reason why we're called the Guardians of the Stars. Our powers rely on them, you know. " He smiled mysteriously.

Ara felt amazed. Kris wasn't acting like the cold and unfriendly leader anymore. Right now, he was being nice to her. Even though he may seem different now, he's still Kris. The man who loves Nae Yong, Ara reminded herself, biting hard on her lip.

" Go back in now, it's cold here. " Kris noticed Ara trembling and ordered. Ara bowed slightly and returned to her room, her mind full of questions. She wanted to know more about him. Where he came from, what his powers were, and much more. However, she knew that she didn't have the right.

Back on the rooftop, Kris watched Ara's retreating back. He had to admit, he felt worried when he noticed Ara's tear stains. It was good to know that she just had a nightmare and not anything else. He had thought for a moment that she had been hurt. Kris felt suprised at himself. He didn't normally bring people up here. It was his santuary, his alone. Even Nae Yong had never been here. " Why did I bring her up here in the first place? " Kris wondered. He sighed, thinking about the way Ara's face lighted up when she saw the stars. Her soft smile and the rosy cheeks could honestly melt a man's heart. Even though he had Nae Yong, Kris couldn't stop himself from thinking about Ara. He felt extremely guilty about it but there was nothing that he could do. It was weird though, he had toyed with women far more attractive and mature than Ara. 

" I'll just keep my distance from now on. Being colder towards her should be better. " Kris resolved.

 

The next morning, Ara woke up feeling groggy thanks to that stupid nightmare. She headed down and joined the guys for breakfast. Catching Kris's eye, she smiled tentatively at him. Her heart sank when he turned away to smile at Nae Yong, despite him obviously noticing Ara's smile. Just as I thought, it was just a one-moment thing, Ara thought bitterly.

" Have you heard? " Kai turned excitedly to Ara.

" What? " Ara widened her eyes. Kai was smiling so wide that his whole face was animated.

" We'll be having a competition with the Guards later " 

' The Guards? " Ara couldn't understand the term.

" They're like our cousins. Different origin of powers but still powerful nonetheless. " Kai explained. " We occasionally meet up for sparrings and stuff. "

Ara nodded, taking in the new information. 

" This will be their first time meeting you. I heard from one of them that they are looking forward to it. " Kai's tone soured a little.

" Why? " 

" Because they heard from us that you're really prett- , ahem, because you're new. " Kai cleared his throat and changed his sentence halfway.

" I see " That explains the high level of energy in the room. The guys were all pumped up for the match.

 

Ara squinted in the sunlight as the guardians stepped forward into the meadow to meet the guards. Welcome hugs were exchanged and greetings were heard.

" Yo man, still as buff as ever huh "

" Says the man who could win over two lions "

" aw sheesh "

" Xiumin! hey! "

" Nae Yong look at you! If it weren't for Kris, I'll be wanting you as my woman now "

" Stop it, Seung Gi! "

 

Ara stood awkwardly at the side as everyone around here mingled. 

" You're Ara right? " Ara turned to her left, facing a tall muscular guy was was grinning at her. " I'm Seung Gi, one of the Guards. Nice to finally meet you. "

Before she could return his greeting, he scooped her up into a bear hug, almost crushing her ribs in the process.

" I- Can't- B-Brea- " Ara choked, feeling her eyes water. All of a sudden, he let go of her. Ara turned to see Kai pulling Seung Gi off. " Keep your hands away from her " He snarled, glaring at an abashed Seung Gi.

" Sorry about that, Seung Gi here is a little touchy feely. " Kai looked over and nodded at Ara.

" Only to beautiful women " Seung Gi winked.

" Shut.Up " Kai hissed while Ara blushed. 

Kris's eyes widened in outrage as he saw Seung Gi hugging Ara. Something in him roared in anger and he stridded forward to where they stood. Before he could do anything to that brat though, Kai threw him off. " Flirty " Kris muttered.

When everyone had settled down, Ara looked at the newcomers closely. There were 8 of them and like the Guardians, they were all handsome and well built. All were men though, they had no females among them. All of their eyes were focused on Ara. She noticed and smiled back at them, receiving a huge beam from every single one.

" She's really pretty, duizhang! " One of them turned to Kris.

" We've all had our fair share of pretty women, but this girl's quite different. " 

Kris coughed and looked away from Ara, ignoring their comments. " So what are we going to do today? "

" Competition. Pair up and follow a map. The first team who reaches there first wins. " 

Kris nodded eagerly. " You're on. "

 

The guys quickly paired up. Since the number was even due to DO's absence aside from Ara, all the teams were formed quickly. Kai hesitated when Sehun came over. 

" Ara, I'll pair with you alright? "

" No, don't. Go with Se Hun, I'll be fine on my own. " Ara insisted when Se Hun's eyes widened in anger at Kai's words.

" It's your first time - "

" I'll be fine. " Ara smiled reassuringly at him. Kai looked upset, but he nodded and turned to join Se Hun.

Kris was with Nae Yong when he realised that Ara was alone. The guards noticed as well and they looked at each other. 

" It's fine, I can do this on my own. " Ara said when she noticed that everyone was staring at her uncomfortably.

" You sure about this? " Kris asked Ara doubtfully. She nodded, determined. Everyone's eyes were on Ara at this point and she felt extremely uncomfortable. Ara just wanted this thing to be over and done with.

Each pair were handed a map and told to follow the trail closely. Just before the teams set off, Kris headed to Ara with a reluctant Nae Yong by his side. Nae Yong had told Kris that Ara would be fine in the daylight but Kris wasn't convinced.

" Follow the trail carefully and do not stray away from it no matter what. If there's anything wrong, press the button on the tracker device and I'll come for you. Understand? " He gazed seriously at the girl. Ara nodded, feeling unsettled at the man's intense stare.

The clock started and everyone headed towards the many different trails. Ara chose one that led south into the forest. She shuddered as she recalled being almost kissed by the strange man the last time she had been here but it was now daylight. The shadows wouldn't step out in the day. Ara slowly hiked among the dense jungle, being careful of her every step. It had been almost 2 hours when Ara started to feel tired. However, according to her map, the trail she took was ending soon and she would reach the site. Ara felt proud that she could do this on her own. However, Ara was busy in her own thoughts and didn't notice a fallen log right in front of her. Shrieking, she tripped over it and lost her balance. Ara fell head first down a step cliff and landed unconsious in a pile of dried leaves far off the trail.

Meanwhile, all the teams had already gathered at the meeting point. Kai frowned anxiously when he noticed that Ara was the only one who hadn't returned. He and Sehun had been the first team to arrive, therefore securing the championship for the Guardians. He had been waiting for Ara but now that everyone had already shown up, Ara was still absent. 

" Ara is still not here " Kai exclaimed, tousling his hair in worry. " Could she be lost? "

" You worry about that girl too much. She's so weak that she probably just needs more time to reach " Nae Yong replied , smiling at Kai.

Kai ignored her and scuffed his foot against the grass. He had always doted on Nae Yong like a little sister but this time, he was getting irritated at her attitude towards Ara. " Kris, I'm worried about Ara. " Kai turned to the leader.

Kris narrowed his eyes. It was taking too long and he was getting worried as well. However, if Ara was in trouble, she could have alerted him through the device. " I think she's fine, let's just wait a little while longer."

Kai sighed in fustration and punched the trunk with his fist. " I'm going to look for her since it's obvious the rest of you don't care. "

Everyone fell silent as Kai stormed through the woods cursing loudly.

" I think we should try looking for her too. " Lay muttered as he took off after Kai, followed by Baekhyun, Chen and Tao. Se Hun remained where he was while Chanyeol hesitated. The guards stood up and left in search of Ara as well.

" She'll be fine, so many people are looking for her. " Nae Yong placed a restraining arm on Kris when he moved forward. Kris stared at Nae Yong. His heart was desperately telling him to look for Ara but his mind was warning him that Nae Yong might get jealous. Kris nodded silently as Nae Yong beamed.

 

Ara opened her eyes, struggling to sit upright. She placed her hand on her head only to touch something wet and sticky. Pulling her hand down, Ara noticed with a shock that it was blood. Her forehead was covered in blood and all her limbs were aching. Her ankle while Lay had previously healed was swollen again. Groaning, Ara reached with difficulty for the tracker device and pressed the red button hopefully. 

Back at the site, the tracker device flashed with a signal from Ara. Kris was pacing up and down anxiously and it was Nae Yong who spotted the light. Smirking to herself, she hid the tracker device under a pile of rocks and made sure that it was hidden from view.

A long time had gone by and Ara knew that the tracker device had not worked. She felt herself starting to panic. Her vision was starting to get blurry and the wound on her head was stinging so badly that her ears were ringing. She struggled to reach for the tracker device one more time before darkness clouded her mind.