Tenth heartbeat

Heart of the Ocean

" , today is Ara's Birthday too. How could I have forgotten my own sister's birthday? " Suho bit his lip in fustration as he recalled the date. He was seated beside D.O who was driving happily away, oblivious to the fact that Suho had a frown on his face. The man quickly whipped out his phone.

 

To: Kim Jongin

Kai, I've forgotten. Today is Ara's Birthday as well. What to do?

From: Suho

 

To: Suho

What?! Are you ing kidding me? How could you have forgotten about this?

From: Kim Jongin

 

To: Kim Jongin

Mind your language you brat, I'm still older than you after all. What should we do?

From: Suho

 

" Damn it " Kai cussed angrily as he tightened his grip on the phone. Baekhyun glanced sideways at the grumbling man and turned around to give Kris a questioning look.

" Baek, turn around. I need to get back. "

" Kai what are you trying to do? "

" Kai, what is your problem? " Kris cut in irritatedly before he could reply. He had already been worrying about Ara celebrating her birthday alone and now Kai had to act up.

" That beside you is my problem. Today is Ara's birthday as well, did you know? Or maybe you were too blinded by Naeyong's whining to even remember. " Kai hissed vehemently.

" What? " Baekhyun's eyes widened and he narrowed his eyebrows.

Kris sighed while Naeyong rolled her eyes.  Just my luck to have the same birth date as her. 

" Look, I only just remembered too. I feel guilty right now all right? What can we do anyway? The car is already nearing Lotte World. " Kris stated as a matter of fact. True, he was feeling horrible deep inside but it would make no sense to just turn and head straight home. Being the most rational member of his pack wasn't that easy right now.

" It's Ara's first time being away from her parents and you're just going to let her celebrate her birthday alone? In case you've forgotten, Ara is a part of us as much as Naeyong is. " Kai's deadly whisper hit the raw nerve that Kris had been worrying about. " The minute we reach, I'm going to turn straight back and head home myself. "

Kris remained silent while Baekhyun nodded his agreement. He too, didn't want Ara to spend her birthday all alone.

 

To: Suho

I will go back home to accompany Ara. Don't worry

From: Kim Jongin

 

Suho sighed in relief as he read the message. As much as he wanted to spend Ara's birthday with her, the girl didn't have a clue on how they were related yet. It would definately have been weird if Suho were to appear in front of her all of a sudden. Kai on the other hand, had always been closer to Ara.

 

-

 

Ara wandered around the huge mansion aimlessly. The maids were all busy completing their chores and there was no one to talk to. Giving up, Ara returned to the living room and laid her head down on the wooden table.

" Why so glum on your birthday? "

Ara snapped her head upright only to find a grinning Kai staring down at her. Immediately, her eyes brightened.

" How did you know? And why are you back? "

" Let's just say I have my own means of finding out. " Kai's dark eyes crinkled into a smile as he noticed her joyful face. Thank god I found out in time, Park Ara.

" Get changed, I'm taking you out of the house. " 

 

-

 

The welcoming bell sounded as Kai opened the door for Ara to enter. He had brought her to a quaint little cafe several miles away from the residence of the Guardians. Immediately, the heavenly smell of freshly baked bread and pastries combined with the strong aroma of served coffee filled the air. The cafe was packed with teenagers and young adults alike. Giggles from the girls around were heard as Kai led Ara to the table. Aa noticed that the ladies in the cafe were all regarding her with a mixture of envy and hatred. 

" It's hard being so immensely good looking sometimes, you know." Kai whispered in her ear making Ara snort. 

" How egoistic can you be? " 

" I'm just stating a fact. " He shrugged his shoulders and smirked back.

They were only seated for a few seconds when a server bounced over. " What can I get for you? " She turned to Kai with a huge beam and tucked her hair behind her ears. Kai seemed oblivious to her behaviour and just gestured towards Ara. She quickly scanned the menu and ordered a carrot cake with Americano. " One ice latte for me please. " Kai stated after Ara.

" Just that? Would you like something to eat too, sir? " The server fluttered her eyelashes while Kai just coughed and turned away. " Nah it's fine. "

Ara held back her laughter as the server retreated with her shoulders sank in defeat. " That was kind of funny. "

Kai rose his eyebrows at Ara's amused expression. " Now you know how honoured you should be that I'm by your side. "

Ara made a funny face and rolled her eyes while Kai just stared at her openly. Cute, he thought.

" Today's your birthday, what do you want to do? "

Ara thought for a moment before answering. " Anything's fine, I'm just glad that I didn't have to spend it alone thanks to you. "

Kai softened. " Next time, you should just say that it was your birthday instead of shrugging it off. " He muttered disapprovingly. 

 

-

 

" Let's take the rollarcoaster! " Naeyong exclaimed brightly as she tugged Kris and the rest of the guys to the queue. The rest of them were silent as they just followed Naeyong wherever she wanted to go. After Baekhyun let it slip that today was Ara's birthday as well, the boys were feeling guilty and no one was in the mood to have fun anymore. Except for Naeyong, that is. She felt glad that she had the boys to accompany her while Ara was being left at home. Serves you right, you should know your place.

Kris twitched in fustration as Naeyong pulled him towards the ride. He was suprised at himself. In the past, he had never been irritated at Naeyong regardless of what she did. Today was an exception. He could feel jealousy bubbling in him as he thought of Kai celebrating Ara's birthday with her. As much as he was reluctant to admit, he wanted to take Kai's place so badly. Just then, a glimmer on a shop display caught his eye. 

" Nae, you go with the guys for the ride. I think I just spotted someone familiar. " He lied.

Naeyong pouted but allowed Kris to gently untangle himself from her arm and continued dragging the quiet boys along. Kris sighed in relief as they disappeared from sight and quickly entered the shop. 

" Perfect ", he smiled to himself.

 

-

 

" You seriously at this. "

Ara hit Kai's arm, upset at his remark. They had been in the arcade for 2 hours now and Kai had been winning her in every single game.

" You're a guy, it's unfair since you have more strength! "

" Since when does Dance Revolution rely on strength? " He teased while flicking her lightly on the forehead. Ara mumbled incoherently as she recalled their previous game. If Ara hadn't know better, she would have thought that Kai had been a professional dancer. 

" Aha! This! " Are finally spotted a game that she knew she could win.

" Seriously? " Kai scoffed upon realisation. " You want me to play this stupid game? "

The game Ara had pointed to was a posing booth. Basically, the players would have to strike poses in front of the camera which would then decide who was the better ' model '. 

" Scared you'll lose? " Ara wiggled her eyebrows. 

" Is that a challenge? "

" Only if you think it is "

Kai rolled his eyes at her reply and turned to face her. " Don't blame me if you lose this. Again "

" I won't " Ara stuck her tongue out at him and slidded into the booth.

 

The girl sighed in fustration as Kai's score hit 100. To be honest, she saw it coming once the game started. To her suprise, Kai was suprisingly comfortable in front of the camera and his poses were shockingly stunning. There was one particular one whereby he tilted his shoulders slightly towards the left and stared at the camera with an expression so y that Ara couldn't help blushing. To make matters worse, the curtains surrounding the booth were transparent and there were hordes of girls oggling at Kai posing. It kind of ruined the game as they started shrieking whenever Kai made a move.

" It isn't fair. " Ara muttered as they left the arcade.

" Sore loser, are you? " Kai winked.

" Course not. " 

The pair headed to an ice cream shop. They had agreed that the loser would have to pay for dessert.

Just as Ara was about to take out her wallet at the counter, a restraining arm shot out to stop her. She blinked in suprise.

" I'll pay this time. It's your birthday after all. " Kai handed the money over before Ara could object.

The girl at the counter blushed as she took the money from Kai, making Ara sigh inwardly. Why did he have to be so good looking? They were receiving unnecessary attention everywhere they went.

Ara was concentrating on her red velvet ice cream when Kai reached out his hand to gently wipe away the ice cream stain on the corner of . She blushed furiously before muttering thanks. Kai chuckled and shook his head at her before continuing on his own ice cream. Pabo

It was almost nearing 9pm when Kai pulled up on the driveway. Ara stepped out of the car and headed back into the house with Kai by her side. " Thank you for everything today. "

" You're welcome " He shot her a disarming smile and gently led her through the doors.

 

" Suprise! " A loud chorus greeted Ara when they stepped into the living room. The room suddenly flooded with light and Ara blinked furiously to adjust to the sudden brightness.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Do you guys prefer Kaira or Krisra? ;)

p.s I get really happy when you guys comment. <3