Eighteenth heartbeat

Heart of the Ocean

" Where has Sehun been disappearing to these few days? " D.O grumbled softly when the maknae excused himself from Naeyong's room yet again. The rest of the guys shrugged. 

" Naeyong, wake up quickly will you... "

 

Ara sighed. She would occasionally stand outside Naeyong's room to find out more about her condition since the guys were still generally unfriendly towards her. Even though she played no part in hurting Naeyong, the girl would never forget how Naeyong collapsed right in front of her. Ara really prayed that Naeyong would be able to recover as fast as possible.

" None of this is your fault, please stop blaming yourself. " Kai spotted the girl standing worriedly in the hallway. Ara looked up to meet his comforting eyes.

" She will get well, won't she? "

He nodded and gently rubbed her shoulders. " Come on, I should really take you out of the house. The atmosphere in here pretty much . "

Ara rolled down the windows as Kai sped down the deserted road covered in wilderness. The area around the Guardians' residence were completely unoccupied thus providing them with ample privacy. Fresh country air filled the car as the girl inhaled deeply feeling much calmer.

" Where are we going? "

" You'll see. " The man replied with a smirk.

 

" This place is amazing! " Ara beamed as she surveyed her surroundings. Kai had taken her to a rundown barn which looked as if it hadn't been occupied for almost a decade. The peeling brick walls and rusty railings gave the place a certain unique antique charm.

The man smiled to himself seeing Ara's reaction. " Whenever stuff relating the guardians piss me off, I come here to relax and take my mind off things. It's nice to pretend living life as a normal person sometimes. "

The girl looked at Kai in suprise. She had never thought he felt this way too. " Who wouldn't prefer a peaceful life? " He replied as if reading Ara's thoughts.

Ara nodded as she sat down gently on a pile of hay. Kai settled himself beside her as they fell silent.

" Feeling better? " He turned to the girl a few hours later.

" I feel so much lighter now. " Ara smiled as she stretched her arms. " It's as if we were able to escape all the tension even if it was just for a little while. "

" Can we come here again? " 

" Why not? " Kai laughed as he gently guided the girl back out of the barn. 

 

" Hello Ara, and oh? Jongin as well? "

 

Kai cursed under his breath at the voice and as he immediately threw himself in front of Ara. 

" Himchan. "

The name uttered by Kai was filled with so much venom that Ara couldn't help flinching. Squinting her eyes, Ara gasped at the familiarity of the young man before them. It was the same guy who had attempted to kiss Ara when she got lost in the woods.
 
" Since when did you Shadows appear in the daylight as well? " Kai questioned with a tone dripping full of sarcasm. Ara noted a hint of worry in his face though.
 
Himchan twisted the purple gem stone on his ring lazily as he leaned past Kai to grin at Ara. " I hope you pardon me for our first meeting. I should have behaved better. "
 
" Don't you dare talk to her! " 
 
Ara placed a comforting hand on Kai's shoulder. He was practically trembling with rage but slowly softened at Ara's touch.
 
" What the hell do you want. "
 
Himchan pretended to pout at Kai's harsh words but Ara was not fooled. Every single thing about the guy screamed danger. Kai's muscles were tensed, ready to break Himchan's bones if he dared to try anything towards Ara.
 
" I came here to practice my skills, stop acting as though I stalked you guys alright. "
 
" Doesn't change the fact that you tried to kiss Ara. "
 
Himchan chuckled as he openly checked out Ara, his eyes roaming everywhere on her body.
 
" I'll dig your eyes out. " Kai hissed as Ara fidgeted uncomfortably. The man sensing her discomfort, wrapped a protective arm around her waist as he pulled her closer to him.
 
" Alright alright. I'll be leaving now. I know when I'm not welcome. " Himchan backed away laughingly as he gave Ara one last final wink. Kai narrowed his eyes at the Shadow's retreating back while not relaxing his stance. Who knows what that bastard had up his sleeve.
 
" Kai? I think he's really gone. " Ara muttered. Kai shot Ara a worried glance before scooping her up easily in his arms bridal style.
 
" I'm not having any chances. We better teleport back home. " Kai explained before Ara could protest. The anger in his eyes were hard to ignore. 
 
 
" Himchan? What are the shadows doing in the daylight? " Kris narrowed his eyes at the disturbing news. His glance landed on Ara who was staring down at her feet. Kai immediately sought out the leader once they landed back in the mansion. Kris remained silent as he contemplated about the new finding.
 
" I suspect it has something to do with the ring he wore. " Kai speculated as his face darkened. He couldn't bear to think what would happen if Ara had been on her own. Kris massaged his temples. Things were honestly getting complicated around here.
 
" Who are they? What do they want with me? " Ara broke the silence. Kai opened his mouth to explain but the leader quickly cut him off.
 
" Ara has a right to know. " Kai muttered disapprovingly.
 
" I know, just not now. "
 
Ara shot Kris a pleading look which he ignored. He didn't want Ara to worry about stuff like that. Kris wanted to keep Ara away from as much things as he possibly could. He didn't want her being in danger. However, Kris knew it himself. Ara was already in danger. That was the whole reason why they had brought her here in the very first place.
 
" Do not leave the mansion at all. And Kai? " Kris hesitated for a short time before continuing. " Take care of Ara. "
 
" I will. " Kai called out as Kris strode away from them. 
 
" Can't you tell me what all this is about? " Ara pouted unhappily at the man.
 
" Sorry, this is not my call to make. " Kai teased. His playful tone faded as he bent down to meet her gaze seriously. " But I mean it when I say that our situation isn't that great. "
 
" What's the point of telling me that when you wouldn't even explain to me what is going on. " Ara sighed as she looked away from him. The girl couldn't understand the reason for their secrecy.
 
" Ara. " Kai brought his hands up gently to lift her chin, forcing her to look at him straight in the eye. " You will understand everything one day, trust me. "
Kai had been tempted to tell Ara everything. He knew that she hated being kept in the dark especially when the matter at hand concerned her. He couldn't, however. Everyone had to follow Kris's orders and in addition, Kai knew that Kris was trying to protect Ara from everything that has been going on. Not telling her meant reducing her worries. Kai agreed with Kris on this one, the girl already had too much to deal with. The young man wasn't a fool. He knew that their leader felt something for Ara. The way he looked at the girl was different from the way he looked at Naeyong. It was similiar to the way Kai himself stared at Ara. Something told Kai that this was going to get complicated. He stole a glance at the girl standing beside him.
 
I will fight for you, even if it means going against my own leader. But when it comes to your well-being, I'm with Kris. Sorry for not telling you anything.
 
 
-
 
 
Ara widened her eyes as the tall maknae appeared in front of her. Come to think of it, she hadn't been seeing Sehun around the house much. 
 
" Have you had blood drawn from you before in your life? "
 
His sudden question confused her.  " Why are you asking me this? "
 
" Answer my question. " He snapped coldly.
 
" Not that I ever recall of, I haven't even been to a hospital before so - " Ara stopped suddenly as a faint memory flashed in her mind,
 
 Sehun glared at her, willing her to go on. 
 
" I... I have been cornered by a few guys before. They didn't do anything apart from giving me a small cut on my wrist. The police were informed but they couldn't find the culprits. "
 
The cold man sighed as he narrowed his eyes. I knew it
 
" What's going on? "
 
" Nothing you should know about. " He turned away swiftly with those words leaving Ara behind.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Hellooo