Twenty second heartbeat

Heart of the Ocean

The girl slowly opened her eyes as she scanned her beautiful surroundings. The marble floor was glittering under the bright lights and somewhere, the soft tinkling of a fountain could be heard. Nothing seemed familiar to her though. Feeling confused, Ara lifted up her hand to rub her sleepy eyes only to realize that she couldn't. Her hands were bounded together in some sort of silk material. Even though it didn't hurt her, the silk cuff greatly restricted her movements. There was no possible way for her to move her arms. Ara felt herself starting to panic as her memories swarmed back. The last thing that was etched in her mind was someone approaching her from behind to cover .

The girl gritted her teeth desperately as she struggled against the velvet armchair. Ara tried furtively to stand up straight but for some reason, she could not feel her legs. She had no strength at all. Forcing herself to remain calm, Ara took in her environment with alert eyes. She seemed to be in some sort of a ballroom which was undeniably furnished elegantly. 

" I see you're awake. "

The girl widened her eyes in recognition. Himchan.

" Are you going to try and kiss me again? " Ara hissed as she tried to hide her growing fear.

" I wouldn't mind but my plan has changed for now. No kissing involved. " The man chuckled lightly as he eyed the girl before him. " Unless.. you would like me to? "

" Over my dead body. "

" Oooh, feisty huh. Be careful of what you say though, you might really just end up dead. " 

Ara swallowed hard as she realized his intentions. " So you are going to kill me. " It was more of a statement than a question.

Himchan narrowed his eyes before meeting her terrified eyes. " That, would actually be something I am hoping to avoid. So you shouldn't just jump to conclusions you know. "

 

-

 

" They took her, I knew it! " Kai cursed under his breath as a glowing orb which signified Ara appeared right in the middle of the Shadows' abode. Kris scanned the golden globe anxiously before sighing in relief. 

" It's still pulsing, Ara must be fine. "

" She better be, if not I'll personally strangle Himchan myself I swear. "

The guys looked at Ara's orb in worry. All their anger directed at the girl previously concerning Naeyong's attack had faded the instant Ara had been taken. Though no one mentioned it, they had long already accepted the fact that Ara was one of them. Suho punched the wall in frustration. No matter what Ara did to Naeyong, she was his only sister. How could he have just stood aside and ignored the whole situation? He wasn't fit to be an elder brother at all.

" How are we going to take her back? " Tao whispered guiltily. He had always liked the girl for her innocence and warm heart before she had hurt Nayong.

" Simply teleporting there would definitely fail. " Kris replied, guessing Kai's thoughts. " We need a proper plan. "

 

-

 

Ara turned her head away as Himchan attempted to place a spoon of food in . She knew that she was being childish but Ara would rather starve than accept food from the enemy.

Himchan sighed. " You got to eat unless you plan on dying of starvation. "

" I rather starve to death before you can kill me. " Ara's quick reply made Himchan purse his lips in pure frustration.

" Suit yourself. "

After the man left impatiently, Ara forced herself to think of a solution. She wondered if the Guardians would have noticed her absence. Then again, they probably wouldn't bother about it since in their minds, she was still at fault for hurting Naeyong. Ara could only hope that Kai would at least find out about this. For now, the girl knew that she was on her own.

Ara slowly worked at the knots on the silk cuff as she tried to work out the loose ones. With beads of perspiration dripping down her forehead, the girl knotted her eyebrows in concentration as she spent her time loosening the various knots. Ara breathed a sigh of relief as the silk band fell to the floor. One problem solved. However, Ara couldn't stand up no matter how hard she tried. They must have fed her something to make her legs weak. 

" Nice work with the knots. " Himchan sauntered back while flashing a handsome grin at Ara.

The girl remained silent as her heart dropped. Now he was probably going to tie her back up again. So much for her efforts. Panic rose in Ara as she prayed silently that help would turn up soon. Sure enough, Himchan quickly proceeded to tie Ara's hands but as he turned to face the girl, Ara swore that he actually had an apologetic expression on his arrogant face. 

" Just so you know, I do have a heart alright. Just that my heart isn't as pure as you guardians. " The man winked before leaving Ara after making sure her hands were securely bound together.

The girl bit her lip as she admitted defeat. With her legs being rendered useless, there was nothing in her capability that she could do.

 

-

 

It seemed as though several hours passed before Himchan returned, this time accompanied by a tall masked figure. Ara shivered as she sensed the tension in the air. Himchan kept his eyes averted from the girl as he frowned down at his feet. The masked man approached Ara and knelt down to her level.

" What do you want from me. " Ara spat out with all her courage and strength.

The man remained silent for awhile before removing his hood. The dark hair, piercing eyes and sharp features struck a chord in Ara's memory. It seemed as though they had met before.

" Sorry about what I am about to do. Truly sorry. " The man patted Ara's cheek before revealing what was under his sleeve. Ara gasped as she saw the silver glint of an elaborately carved knife.

The girl winced in pain as the man glided the blade softly against her pale skin. It wasn't a deep cut but it hurt nonetheless. Blood dripped out periodically from the open wounds that the knife left behind as the man drew the cut from Ara's elbow all the way down to her wrist. From her peripheral vision, the girl could see Himchan flinching.

" That should be enough to make them worry. " Himchan hastily said before the man could draw any more blood. He whipped out his phone and quickly snapped a photo of Ara with her bleeding arm before turning swiftly out of the room. The man stared at Ara for a long moment before following him.

 

-

 

" Dammit. I'm going to kill that bloody bastard. " 

Kai clenched his fists tightly as the picture popped out on the screen. Ara bleeding with terror shown in her eyes. 

" We're going to get her now. And I mean right ing now. " The man growled as he met Kris's gaze filled with the same amount of pain and worry.

 

-

 

Ara's head drooped as she her chapped lips. Refusing all forms of food and water seemed like a foolish idea to the girl now. Her bleeding arm was beginning to sting badly and her legs were still numb. In that moment, all the girl wanted to do was to see Kai's reassuring smile and listen to him tell her that everything was going to be alright.