Nineteenth heartbeat

Heart of the Ocean

Several more weeks passed. Ara made a face as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. On Kris's orders, she hadn't been allowed out of the house. The girl had tried reasoning with Kai about the matter but the man wouldn't budge. Kai knew about the danger Ara was in and he refused to let her leave the compound, even if it was for just a short time. None of the other guys except for Kai and Kris had bothered to acknowledge her. They still felt that she had been the culprit. A sudden knock on her bedroom door startled the girl.

Ara hurried over to the door as the knocks continued on urgently. Kai stared down seriously at her when the door clicked open.

" Naeyong woke up. "

 

The pair hurried into the nearby room as the frail girl perched upright on her bed surrounded by the worried guys. She still looked at beautiful as ever as everyone turned anxiously towards her.

" Who did this to you, Nae? " Kris questioned softly.

Naeyong hesitated for awhile before scanning her surroundings. Her gaze landed on the petite girl beside Kai and she pointed her slender fingers in that direction.

" Ara. "

Ara stared at her accusing fingers in disbelief as everyone's eyes flashed dangerously to her. " Why are you doing this? I didn't - "

" Ara? " Kris whispered in obvious pain. " It really was you? "

Kai stiffened beside the girl as he sensed her confusion. Ara struggled to keep herself calm. Her mind was swirling right now as she took a deep breath.

" Naeyong, I don't understand why are you being like this when you obviously knew who - "

" It was you! Why did you have to hurt me like this? " Naeyong yelled hysterically while interrupting Ara's explanation. The guys hurried to pacify Naeyong while Kris her hair softly. 

" Why? " The leader looked up from Naeyong and turned to face the Ara when the girl finally calmed down. His hands were still on Naeyong's shoulders protectively as his eyes blazed with hurt. " Why did you have to do this? "

Kai clenched his fists in anger. He couldn't take it anymore. If Ara wasn't going to stand up for herself this time, he would do it for her. 

" I didn't." Ara forced the words through her teeth before Kai could say anything. Everyone fell silent at the pain in her voice. 

" I didn't do it and I have no idea why things are turning out this way. I didn't, and right now, I wish that it had been me who was attacked instead! " Ara burst out uncontrollably as teardrop after teardrop rolled down her cheeks. The girl turned away and ran from the room leaving everyone stunned. Kai cursed loudly and followed Ara immediately.

" It really was her! Yifan, I'm scared.. " Naeyong whispered as she buried her face in his chest. Kris brought up his hands around her shoulders. " Shh. I'm here, don't worry. " He forced himself to push the pain and hurt deep down in his heart as he comforted the weak girl. Ara, why?

Naeyong smirked as she leaned against Kris. " Let's see if Kris will still like you after this. "

 

-

 

Ara burst through the wooden door as she ran without thinking. She couldn't believe how unfair everyone was being. Why couldn't they see that it wasn't her? She would never do such a thing against her conscience. Why was Naeyong doing this?

" Ara! " Kai caught up easily with the tearing girl.

" I want to be alone right now, please. "

Kai swallowed as he maintained a firm grip on the girl's wrist, taking care not to hurt her. 

" Ara, don't be like that. " He closed the distance between them and turned her around so he could survey her face. Ara struggled to keep her tear stained face away from the man but Kai gently enclosed her with his strong arms. They were so close to each other that he could see every teardrop clinging on to her long eyelashes. He hated to see her being like this. Kai knew that there was nothing he could say right now to take away her pain. He badly wanted to punch the rest of the guys for being so blind to the obvious truth but that wouldn't help Ara at all. The only thing he could do for her right now was to be there by her side. The man remained still as Ara sobbed on his shoulder. He could feel her tears staining his shirt but Kai couldn't care. As long as it made her feel better. 

I won't ignore you like I did before, I promise.

 

 

" I never knew Ara was such a person. " Tao complained as he stared at Naeyong. " She seemed so nice! "

" You never know about such things... " Chanyeol muttered darkly in a forbidding tone. 

Kris remained silent as Naeyong rested her head on his shoulder. He wanted to believe that Ara had an explanation for her actions. As much as he was hurting inside, he wanted to listen to her side of the story. The Ara he knew would not have done something like this. Naeyong tugged on his shirt making him look down.

" Accompany me today? "

He nodded half-heartedly, not having the heart to refuse her when she was still so weak.

" Ara is really so scary. " Naeyong murmured as she snuggled closed to Kris. The rest of the guys looked at each other, still troubled over the fact that someone as sweet and sincere as Ara was possible of such an act. A loud sigh broke the disturbing silence.

" What's up with you? " Tao frowned at the silent guy.

Sehun stretched his lips before turning his emotionless gaze towards Naeyong. " You're being really stupid, you know that? "

Naeyong widened her eyes at his accusing statement as Kris narrowed his eyebrows. " Sehun, I don't know what is your problem but - "

" Kai was right, you guys are really blind. " The tall maknae snorted as he strode out of the room.