Fifth heartbeat

Heart of the Ocean

" Ara can you hear me? "

" ! Ara, god damn it! "

 

-

 

" I shouldn't have allowed her to go alone. She's still new to everything. " Kris muttered, looking down at the girl who was fast asleep.

" Glad that you finally figured that out " Kai said sarcastically over his shoulder.

" It wasn't his fault, why are you being so overprotective over this girl? " Naeyong shot Kai a dark look.

Kai cursed under his breath and turned away from Naeyong. She was inching closer to making him snap and he knew that Kris wouldn't be happy if he were to throw Naeyong against the wall.

The guards had finally found Ara crumbled and broken on the forest floor. Thankfully, her injuries were not so severe and Lay had been able to heal her. The trauma had drained all of Ara's energy and she had been sleeping for 15 hours now. The guards had left after making sure that Ara was fine. The rest of the guardians lingered in Ara's room and everyone had been unnaturally silent. Though nobody wanted to admit it, everyone had been worried about the girl. The only exception was Sehun and Naeyong. She couldn't stand the way that everyone was fussing over Ara. As for Sehun, he couldn't be bothered about Ara.

" Hey guys, chill. It's not like she had been on the brink of death or anything right. " Naeyong blurted out, interrupting the deathly silence.

12 pairs of eyes turned to her in disbelief. " Naeyong you are seriously - " Kai began heatedly when Kris stood between Naeyong and Kai protectively.

" We need to talk, Nae. " Kris led her gently out of the room.

Kai growled under his breath while Chen patted his back soothingly. " She's just not used to Ara joining us, don't blame her too much. "

 

" I know you're jealous but honestly, there's no reason for you to. " Kris looked down at the pouting girl.

" You're paying her so much attention, something that you only do for me or your brothers. " Naeyong turned away from Kris.

" She's one of us after all Nae, that should be a good enough reason to treat her well. Besides, she's injured. "

" You'll aways love me only right? " Naeyong gazed up at Kris, locking her fingers with his. Kris nodded and lightly pecked her on her cheek.

At least, that's what I hope. I really have no idea regarding my feelings towards Ara, Kris thought silently.

 

Ara blinked her eyes groggily and tried to sit up. Immediately, hands shot out to support her and someone placed a pillow behind her back. 

" You okay? " 

Ara squinted and came face to face with a gorgeous face. Kai

Looking around, she realised that all of the guardians with the exception of Kris, Naeyong and Sehun were looking at her anxiously.

" What happened? " Ara questioned as she rubbed her sore head. The guys explained to her everything and how she was being found and healed.

She turned to Lay and gave him an appreciative smile which he returned warmly. 

" Feeling better now? " A deep voice broke out and Ara turned to see Kris walking in with Naeyong by his side. She had an unreadable expression on her face as she gazed at her without a word.

Ara nodded, feeling a jolt in her heart as her eyes noticed that their hands were interlocked. They seem really in love

" Take it easy for a few days, no training until you feel normal again. " Kris continued, looking at Ara who just nodded again.

" Since you're okay now, I guess we should leave " D.O muttered awkwardly and left the room, followed by the rest of the guys. Kai stayed behind though.

" I'll accompany you for today. " He laid on the armchair lazily and stretched his arms. Ara beamed at him, making Kai blush a little.

For the rest of the day, Ara and Kai teased each other and chatted about everything. Ara was beginning to feel extremely comfortable around the handsome man, he was just like an elder brother that she had always wanted.

 

" Where's Kai? " Sehun questioned when he realised that Kai had been missing the entire day.

" He's with Ara. " Tao stated, munching on an apple. The guardians were all lazing in the backyard enjoying the good weather. Sehun rolled his eyes and laid back on his chair. He still didn't like her. To him, she was just a spoilt brat. No one had ever talked back to him like how Ara did previously.

" Speaking of Ara, I want you to apologize to her. " Kris ordered, looking directly at the maknae.

Sehun gasped and choked, spinning around to stare at the leader.

" You were the one who outcasted her the most. This is something that you should do and no arguements, Sehun. " 

Sehun stood up and stomped away, he couldn't believe what Kris had just said. Naeyong glanced at Kris from the corner of her eye. She knew that Kris was being unnecessarily bothered about that girl's issues. She was angry and jealous but she knew that she shouldn't show it. I'll find some way to get her for that, Naeyong smirked to herself.

 

Ara left her room to get a glass of water. Kai had offered to get it for her but she was sick of being treated like an invalid. The girl descended down the marble staircase but was blocked by a figure. 

" S-sehun. " Ara stammered, feeling shocked. She knew that he hated her and didn't welcome her in their life at all.

" Look. I'm sorry. For treating you like... whatever. " Sehun looked at her with cold eyes.

It was apparent that he was being forced to do so as there were no signs of remorse in his hard eyes. Ara took a deep breath and forced herself to meet his unfriendly glance.

" You don't have to do this. I know that you didn't mean your apology. As much as I can't figure out your hatred towards me, but I'll respect that. I guess everyone's entitled to dislike someone even if there's no reason needed. I will try to stay away from you so you don't feel burdened to treat me nicely. " Ara said softly, looking down at her feet. She bowed slightly and stepped past him to the kitchen.

Sehun remained rooted in his position in shock. He had expected her to throw her temper or even attempt to insult him. He had never expected her to behave like how she just did. As much as he didn't want to admit, he felt himself becoming more intrigued by her. Park Ara, what kind of a person are you?

 

" And so, I told him that I was already in love with you. That's the fourth guy that I rejected all because of you! " Naeyong rumbled on and on beside Kris. Kris wasn't paying any attention to her though. It was weird. Whenever he was with Naeyong, she had always captured his fullest attention. Not today. He couldn't stop thinking about Ara. He was worried that she might still be in shock over her recent ordeal.

" Seriously, it's all that Ara's own fault. Even if she activated the tracker device, she should still have tried to stand up and find her way back instead of just blacking out. She's a guardian after all, for god's sake! " Naeyong sniffed.

That caught his attention. Kris turned to Naeyong and stared at her.

" What? " Naeyong grinned at him, making a cute face.

" How did you know that Ara managed to activate the tracker device? " 

Kris watched in disbelief as the grin was wipped away from Naeyong's face. Instead, it was replaced with a guilty expression. 

" I-I.. "

" I can't believe you did that. I knew that you were jealous of her but to purposely endanger her life? Naeyong I'm disappointed. "

Kris exhaled and stalked away from Naeyong whose eyes were b with tears. " Kris! " He ignored her plea and walked towards the mansion.

The rest of the boys had heard their exchange. " Naeyong... " Suho whispered with a pained expression on his face.

" How could you? " Tao exclaimed.

Naeyong turned away uncomfortably from all the glares that the guys were giving her. It's all that 's fault. I will get you for this, Park Ara.

 

Kai had left to give Ara some space on her own. She was gazing out of the window. For some reason, she couldn't help feeling jealous when she remembered how close Kris and Naeyong were. This confused her. " Am I actually starting to like him in a way? " Ara thought out loud. She sighed, knowing that he wouldn't ever return her feelings. It was just impossible.

" May I come in? " A voice sounded outside her room. It's Kris, Ara noted in shock. " Yes "

The tall man walked over to Ara and sat beside her. Ara didn't know what to say. She just looked at him and waited for whatever he had to say.

Kris gazed down at the girl, meeting her warm hazel orbs. He somehow felt that she could read everything on his mind. 

" I'm really sorry for leaving you to complete that challenge on your own. " Kris sighed, not taking his eyes off hers.

" It's fine. I was the one who said that I could do it. " Ara mumbled looking down. She felt bad that he was feeling guilty about her.

" No it's not fine. Naeyong saw that you alerted us through the device but she kept quiet on purpose. I would have never expected her to do something like that. " Kris continued. He was looking at her as if asking for forgiveness. Ara could sense the hurt and disappointment in his eyes.

" I know she doesn't like me much. I'll try my best to not upset her at all. "

Kris gazed at the girl. She was so different from anyone he had ever met. They held each other's gaze until Ara coughed and looked away. Kris felt disappointed when the contact was broken, to his amazement.

" I'll leave you alone to rest. " He mumbled gruffly and stood up, straightening his collar. He turned to leave and gently shut the door behind him.

Ara lifted her hand to feel her thumping heart. Why am I reacting this way? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 











Imagine Kris giving you his signature look. /plops on the floor/