Twenty seventh heartbeat

Heart of the Ocean

" You... you have four pairs of eyes did you know? "

Kai sighed as he bundled the girl securely in the car seat before sliding in himself. " Hurry up Yixing, don't blame me if she pukes in your car. "

Lay hastily twisted the key in the ignition as the car roared to life. 

" I'm so so soooo sorry. " Tao repeated himself for the fourth time as Kai shot him a look.

" Are you a talking panda? " Ara beamed at Tao as she patted his cheeks. " Do you want some bamboo shoots? " Kai snorted as Tao widened his eyes in outrage.

" Serves you right. " 

 

" The other guys must be having the time of their lives surrounded by girls and here I am driving a drunkard back home. " Lay complained as he pulled up into the driveway.

" The only ones who have a license are you and Chanyeol and since that guy is busy sticking his tongue down a random 's throat, you're the only option left. " Kai calmly retorted as he carefully supported the flushed girl in his arms.

" You would have a license too if your car didn't end up in the repair workshop 5 hours after you got it. " Lay shot back earning a glare from Kai.

" Whatever, I'm taking Ara back to her room. "

 

-

 

The man easily ascended the steep stairs with Ara in his arms. She felt as light as a feather to him as she continued muttering nonsense.

" You're surprisingly cute this way you know. " Kai chuckled softly as he gently placed her down on the bed. He pulled up the thick fleece blanket, making sure that her body was properly covered. 

" Don't go. " 

Kai froze as the girl grabbed on to his arm while pulling him down to her level. His eyes widened when he realized that their faces were just inches apart. Ara mumbled a few words as she tightened her grip around the man, hugging him as though he was a pillow.

With his heart pounding wildly, Kai swallowed as he tried to calm himself down. He knew that this wasn't an ideal condition for the both of them, he was still a man after all. The man struggled to remain under control as he gently pried her hands away from his waist. Ara frowned at the sudden loss of warmth when Kai pulled away from her.

" Please... don't go. " The girl thrashed about as she continued frowning in her sleep. Kai gazed at her with conflict burning in his dark eyes before quickly leaving the room.

I don't want to do anything to you but I don't trust myself if I'm here with you like that, sorry Ara.

 

-

 

" You're finally back. " 

The tall man managed a weak smile at the worried maknae. " I'm alright. "

 

-

 

Ara opened her eyes as she groaned. A wave of pain shot through her as she squinted in frustration. The girl supported her head as she gingerly sat upright. Ara had never felt this before and it was horrible. Her mind was clouded and every muscle in her body was aching terribly. The pain in her head was the worst. This was definitely not a normal headache.

" I'm hung over. " The girl winced as she struggled to recall last night's events. The only drink that she had was a glass of coke which tasted funny. How could she possibly be drunk?

Ara slowly headed to the kitchen after making sure that she was decently dressed. She hadn't even bothered combing her hair or putting on light makeup. The discomfort she was feeling now was so bad that Ara couldn't care about anything else.

" Ara I'm so sorry! " Tao blurted out as she entered the bustling kitchen. The girl slowly shook her head as Kai came forward to take her hand. He quickly supported Ara to her seat before handing her a glass of warm milk. " You'll feel better soon. " Kai promised.

" Mind explaining the situation to me? "

Ara forced opened her eyes as she heard the familar voice.

" You're back? "

The leader sighed as he gazed at her ashen face. " You haven't answered my question. "

The girl studied him as they held each other's eyes. Kris looked the same as how he always looked. However, Ara noticed the slight tinge of paleness showing on his handsome face.

" You're okay? "

" Someone better open their mouth about Ara before I personally do it for you. " The man turned away from Ara without answering her question as he scanned the guilty faces surrounding him.

" We were bored so we... " 

Kris raised his eyebrow in question. " Continue. "

" We decided to... takearatoaclubsoshecouldgainsomeexperience. " Chen mumbled as he kept his eyes on the table. Looking around, Ara realized that no one was meeting Kris's intense gaze.

Silence fell before Ara looked up to realize his angry eyes on her.

"You guys... took Ara to a club. " Kris stated flatly.

" It was an interesting experience. " The girl meekly said when no one spoke.

The leader exhaled roughly as he pinched the bridge of his nose. " No one asked you for your opinion, Park Ara. "

" A club? Seriously? Do you even know how complicated such places can get? " Kris hissed after a minute of total silence.  

" It wasn't her fault, someone gave her a huge glass of Tequila. " Kai defended her as he targeted his stare at a fidgeting Tao.

" Whatever. " Kris stood up as he made his way towards his room with a slight limp while everyone watched anxiously.

Was he sick? Ara thought to herself as she noticed his unusual behavior.

" What's wrong with Kris? " The girl turned worriedly to Kai. " He's fine, just tired after traveling. " The man replied as he avoided her suspicious look.

Ara quietly left the room when everyone was busy engaging in their conversation. She knew that something was up with Kris and for some reason, the girl felt that it may be because of her.

She knocked apprehensively on the ornately carved door before pushing it open.

" Do you need something? " The man asked without looking up. Kris knew that it was Ara, he could smell her sweet scent from where he was. She gently approaching the brooding male as he rested his head on his arm.

" Where have you been? Luhan mentioned that you were in danger and- "

" I was fine all along, nothing that you should be concerned about. " Kris interrupted the girl before she could finish her sentence.

" But you- "

" I said, I'm fine. " He sighed as he sat upright, tousling his dirty blonde hair.

Ara bit hard on her lower lip as she tried to think of something to say. Kris seemed as though her presence was disturbing him but she couldn't bring herself to leave, not before she finds out the truth.

" Could it be because of me? "

Kris flashed his eyes warily to Ara when she uttered that sentence.

The girl realized how her words sounded like so she hastily tried to clear herself. " I- I mean, it was directly after the incident with the Shadows when you disappeared without a word so I thought that maybe... "

" Who are you to me that I should do such a thing for you? "

His harsh words pierced straight through as Ara widened her eyes.

" You're stressing yourself with things that doesn't concern you at all. Instead of worrying about useless things, why not just try to keep yourself out of trouble for once? Stop blindly following the other guys around to clubs, it's dangerous for a girl like you. "

Ara inhaled as she felt anger and hurt rising in her. What did he mean by a girl like her? From what she knew, Naeyong frequently followed the guys alone whenever they visited such places. If Naeyong was allowed to, why not Ara? 

" I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself, if that's what you're trying to imply. " Ara spat out as she turned swiftly to leave the room, her brown eyes blurred with disappointed tears. He sees me as a burden doesn't he?

Kris looked up as the girl left his room. He hated the way she was making him feel. Most of all, he hated the way that he had to lie to her. Kris knew that Kai and Ara were something special. He had suspected that the girl was slowly softening to Kai judging from her actions and what he heard from the rest of his brothers. Even though his heart roared in protest, Kris wanted the best for Ara. And he wasn't the best that she deserved. 

 

Luhan shook his head as he picked up on the leader's thoughts. She may feel something for Kai but she would never be able to feel for him like the way she feels for you, you egoistical idiot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

School tomorrow... TT

p.s I have no freaking idea why AFF rated my previous chapter M. HAHAHA *cries*