Third heartbeat

Heart of the Ocean

Ara stood up, feeling much better after crying her heart out. She seldom cried but when she did, it had always made her feel a whole lot better. 

" If you're done crying and being a weakling, follow me. It's time for dinner. " 

Ara jolted in shock at the sudden appearance of Kris. He didn't even bother looking at her while speaking. She pressed her lips firmly together before she could lose her temper at his rude behaviour. He strolled out the garden and Ara had to practically run to catch up with him. Damn him and his long legs, the girl thought sourly. She followed meekly behind him as he entered the dining room. The rest of the guys including Nae Yong were already there. Kris went to take a seat beside Nae Yong while Ara hesitated, standing awkwardly at the side. The only empty seat left was beside Se Hun and the latter was glaring at her, as if telling her that it wasn't her place. Ara bit her lips, wondering what she should do. The guys looked at her in silence. Just as Ara decided to go towards Se Hun, he placed his long legs up on the seat, preventing Ara from sitting beside him. The guys smirked while Se Hun just examined his nails coldly. Ara was trembling with rage. She couldn't believe what huge jerks they all were. Even Nae Yong was giggling ily. Kris just gazed at Ara, an unreadable expression in his cold eyes. 

" You s " Ara muttered under her breath. Even though it was low, everyone heard it.

" What was that? " Tao pricked up his ears and raised his eyebrows at Ara. " Could you please repeat it? "

Ara glared at him, finally provoked. " s. All of you. " She spat out, every word distinct. The fury in her eyes were unmistakable.

" You people are the ones who made me come here. And now, you're treating me like some piece of garbage even though I sure as hell didn't do anything to offend you. Sure explains a lot about the character of the Guardians. " She spat, folding her arms.

Everyone in the room stared at Ara in shock. They didn't expect that someone who looked as demure and gentle as her would be capable of standing up for herself.

" You're just a spoilt brat who lived in the comfort of a normal life " Se Hun turned to Ara and hissed, venom in his voice.

" You don't know anything about me or my life, so shut the hell up. " Ara shot back immdiately, causing Se Hun's eyes to narrow in fustration. 

Before anyone could say anything, Ara her heels and stalked out of the room, making sure to slam the antique door in the process.

" She's sure something " Kai muttered under his breath, just as shocked at her sudden outburst as the rest of his brothers.

" She's finally standing up for herself. That's who Park Ara is, actually. " Kris laughed.

 

Ara left the huge mansion in anger. The cool evening air blew against her smooth skin, making her relax.

" As much as the people here , this place is truly beautiful. " Ara couldn't help sighing in awe, admiring her surroundings. She could hear the clangs of cutlery and laughter echoing from the house and she knew that they were all enjoying their dinner without her. Ara tried to ignore her hunger pangs and decided to take a walk in the woods surrounding the mansion. It was a calm day and Ara took a slow walk, processing everything that she had been exposed to so far. It seemed like it was too much for a young girl to handle but Ara was strong. She forced herself to accept the truth and promised to adapt to her new life to the best she could manage. Humming a tune from her favourite chinese song, Ara didn't notice that the sun had already set.

" I should probably head back now, it's getting really dark. " Ara glanced up, feeling the temperature in the air start to drop as night approached. She shivered in the biting wind and turned back on her trail.

Meanwhile, Kris was wondering where Ara went too. His brothers were having their meal, Ara's outburst still lodged in their minds. Kris couldn't help wondering about her as well. 

 

 

" So lovely, so pure. " a menacing voice behind her drawled out.

Ara turned back in shock, spotting a black figure cloaked in robes among the gnarled trees. Something told her that this being before her was not like the Guardians back at the mansion. Danger screamed through her every vein. Following her natural instincts, she turned and ran in the opposite direction. However, the figure caught up with her in ease and within seconds, Ara was being embraced by a strong pair of cold hands. The figure let it's hood drop and Ara was face to face with a handsome young man. His features were sharp and manly. However, pure evil glinted in his eyes as he slowly brought his head down to meet Ara's lips. Ara struggled without much success as she tried to escape from his strong grip.

" It's useless to struggle. " He paused in mid air, his hand lifting up Ara's chin gently " One kiss and you'll be mine, I swear. " 

Ara continued to resist with all her might. Before their lips could meet, however, Ara felt herself thrown back. She looked up in confusion and fear, only to see a familiar back. Kris. He crouched in front of Ara protectively, facing the man. 

" Leave her alone. " He hissed, his voice so chilling that it sent shivers down Ara's spine.

" She'll be mine " the cloaked man replied confidently. Kris lashed out at the man but before he could injure him, the guy was gone in an instant.

 

" Who was that " Ara shook violently. 

" You must never leave the mansion alone, you understand? " Kris whipped around to face Ara, his face in apparent rage.

" What was that thing? Why was he trying to kiss me? " Ara persisted, needing to know the answer.

" You're such a huge burden did you know that? Why can't you just remain quietly in the house and follow my instructions? " Kris lost his patience and shouted in Ara's face.

He knew that it was a mistake after seeing Ara's expression change.

" I-I'm sorry " Kris began but he knew it was too late. Ara's eyes were full of hurt and anger. " I want to go home " 

" That's impossible. " Kris sighed, his face softening at the desperate tinge in Ara's voice. He glanced at Ara, her face still darkened with fury. Kris picked her up and hurried back to the mansion, ignoring her yells at him. 

" Look. I'll try to get everyone to be nicer to you. Just give us time, we're not used to new people entering our lives. " Kris told Ara silently, after taking her back to her room.

" That doesn't mean you get to act as a huge jerk " Ara shot back. She was still hurt at his harsh words.

" I said I was sorry already, didn't I? " Kris sighed once again. " Anyway, get some seep. You have training early tomorrow morning. " With that, he shut the door and left.

Ara's shoulders sank in defeat. So this was how her new life was going to be. Lonely

She tossed and turned, unable to fall asleep. Ara didn't had any dinner and her stomach was growling so loudly that she could hear it herself. Ara slipped out of bed and headed down towards the kitchen.

Kai, Chen and Baekhyun were gathered around the kitchen table, drinking wine and talking among themselves. They fell silent when Ara entered. As much as they didn't want to admit, all 3 found Ara to be extremely pretty. Her dark brown hair was adorably messy and she was clad in a night gown that showed off her petite figure. In the moonlight, Ara actually looked like a living doll.

Ara gazed up at the three guys staring back at her. She was still bitter over the whole incident during dinner. Ara turned her back on them and walked out of the kitchen before they could insult her again.

Kai knew that the girl was hungry. Why else would she enter the kitchen at this time of the night? " Wait! " he called out to Ara's retreating back.

Ara turned back with a raised eyebrow. " Yes? " She said coldly.

Chen sighed beside him while Baekhyun stiffened.

" We're sorry. We were talking about it and I guess..... it's been unfair to you. Se Hun felt sorry too. " Kai said truthfully in a low tone, looking at Ara sincerely.

Ara put on a blank face and turned to leave again but Kai stridded forward and caught her arm. 

She struggled to snatch her arm back but Kai was much stronger. Glaring into his dark eyes, Ara opened to say something but Kai interrupted first. " We're truly sorry. Please "

Ara studied his expression. She had to admit to herself, he was really breathtakingly gorgeous upclose. Hie eyes were soothing and his plump lips were strong against his hard jaw. Right now, his eyes were blazing with sincerity. 

" I don't know, you guys were pretty mean. " Ara mumbled, breaking the gaze and looking down at her feet. Anger rose in her as she thought about the way she was treated in the evening.

" That's why you should give us a chance to turn things around. " Kai answered softly, gently letting go of her arm. 

Baekhyun cleared his throat. " Kris should have explained to you that we don't welcome strangers. That's why we treated you the way we did. But you're one of us after all so I guess.... " His voice faded off usurely.

Chen nodded and looked at Ara, giving the girl a hesistant smile. Ara looked at all three of them before smiling back, though the smile was still a little cold.

" I guess it would be nice to be able to finally make friends here. " Ara thought to herself.

" You're hungry, right? " Kai's voice broke her train of thoughts. Ara blushed as her stomach made yet another loud growl.

" It's our fault you didn't get dinner " Chen apologized, his face turning a little red. He had just realised what jerks they were for treating Ara that way previously. She was still a girl and if Nae Yong was precious to them, they should treat Ara right as well.

Kai headed to the refrigerator and took out a few ingredients. Ara widened her eyes. " What are you doing? "

" What does it look like I'm doing? " Kai snorted before giving her a smirk. " Cooking your dinner, of course. "

 

Ara consumed the entire place of fried rice eagerly, not being able to believe Kai's amazing cooking skills.Baekhyun and Chen had helped out as well, as a form of apology to Ara.

" You should take smaller bites " Kai frowned disapprovingly as he watched Ara eat. He admired her rosy cheeks and pink lips, watching her from where he sat. In a way, I'm glad that I got to meet a girl like her, Kai thought to himself. 

 

Kris stared out of the window broodingly. He couldn't help wondering if Ara was alright with skipping dinner like that. He felt a little worried that the shock of almost being kissed by one of the Shadows would get to her. He mentally hit himself for losing his temper and shouting at her like that. He didn't mean to. He had been so worried that he said things he didn't mean. Grumbling, he left his room and headed to Ara's room. He felt compelled to make sure that she was okay. Surpisingly, she was not in. He searched the house, finally finding her in the kitchen. To his amazement, Ara was there with Kai, Baek and Chen. They seemed friendlier to her than before. Seems like there was no need to warn them to behave towards her anymore. Since she was more than alright, he turned and left feeling relieved. 

 

The next morning, Ara headed to the kitchen where sounds of laughter could be heard. She was a little nervous at how they were going to treat her. Kai, Baekhun and Chen may have been nice to her last night but what about the rest? Especially Se Hun. 

" Good morning " Lay noticed her and said, a little hesitantly. The rest of the guys turned to face her and some gave her shy smiles. Nae Yong looked colder though. Se Hun ignored her, but at least he didn't glare.

" M-morning. " Ara stammered. Kai motioned her to sit by his side while Ara nodded unsurely. 

" You okay with pancakes? " Kai passed a plate to her. Ara nodded again and smiled at him. Kai felt his heart beat unevenly as he met Ara's eyes. They were filled with warmth and gentleness. Kai hadn't seen a girl like Ara in a long time. She was honestly sincere and kind, he could sense it. She wasn't like those money-minded girls that he and his brothers frequently toyed with.

 

Kris remained silent throughout breakfast. His eyes were fixed on Kai. From the way that boy looked at Ara, Kris was sure that Ara managed to touch the maknae's heart in a way. A sour feeling rose in him. Even though he liked Nae Yong, he wasn't sure what he felt about Ara. He didn't like this feeling one bit. He strained to keep his thoughts on Nae Yong.

I'm in love with Nae Yong. Only Nae Yong. Kris chanted to himself.

 

The guys didn't feel comfortable starting a conversation with Ara so breakfast was spent in awkward silence. " We should begin training. " Kris glanced up at the grandfather clock chiming in the living room.

The rest of the guys went to change into practice wear and Ara did the same. The maids had already laid out a simple white tanktop and a pair of black sweats on Ara's bed.

Ara changed into them and put her long hair up in a ponytail before heading down to the huge garden. All 12 guys stared at Ara wordlessly as she joined them. With her hair tied up, her face was clearly revealed showing her doll-like features. Huge eyes framed with long lashes, a small delicate nose and pink lips caught their attention. Nae Yong frowned while noticing the boys preoccupation with Ara and cleared , turning their attention away from Ara. 

" It's your first day of training but don't think we'll go easy on you. " Nae Yong turned to Ara and said a little coldly. She was feeling jealous at Ara's beauty. Besides, she had always been the only girl here and she enjoyed all the attention and care from the guys. Now, it wasn't the case anymore because of Ara's addition.

Ara bit her lip and gazed worridly at Nae Yong, who turned away. Kris stood up to lead the practice session and he made everyone run up and down the hill beside the garden. The rest kept pace easily except for Ara. She wasn't used to such grueling exercises and before long, Ara was panting as she crouched down struggling to catch her breath. Nae Yong shot her a scathing look while Kai looked at her worridly.

" Maybe Ara should take it easy for today? " He turned to Kris and asked.

Kris was about to nod when Nae Yong went to his side. " It's unfair if we let her rest. Everyone had to go through this when they first started anyway. " She looked up at Kris with doed eyes. Kris smiled tenderly at her in agreement and turned back to Ara.

" Pick yourself up and continue. Don't stop no matter what. " 

Ara stared back at Kris in disbelief while Kai shot her a pitying look. As much as he was closer with Nae Yong, he knew that she was being jealous of Ara and he didn't like the way she was manipulating Kris.

Kai jogged over to Ara's side and helped her up, supporting her waist gently. " I'll help you. " He muttered softly in her ear. Ara beam at him and continued running. Kris glanced at Ara's pale face covered with sweat and couldn't help feeling a little anxious. It WAS her first day after all, but he already agreed with Nae Yong that it wasn't an excuse.  There was no way he could take that back in front of everyone now. By the time they were done with the running, Ara was practially white as a sheet. Her cheeks were flushed in an unnatural shade of red and her breaths were ragged. Kai felt his heart clench when he looked at her. He couldn't bear to see her so exhausted.

" We should do sparring now. " Nae Young smirked to herself and announced to Kris, who once again nodded his head. 

" Are you serious? Ara can't even stand up now! " Kai shot, his fury rising.

Kris shoot a glance at Ara and got pretty worried too. " Then I'll spar with her, I will take it easy " Nae Yong whispered into his ear. As much as Kris was unwilling to put Ara through anymore of this, he had no choice but to agree with whatever Nae Yong wanted.

" Stand up. " Nae Yong commanded, looking down at Ara. The rest of the guys besides Kai weren't so worried though. They believed that Nae Yong would not take things too far. They were wrong.

Nae Yong immediately went for a kick that landed squarely in Ara's gut. She gasped and fell back, spitting out the warm liquid from . Kai went insane when he noticed the blood dripping from Ara's mouth. Everyone fell silent in shock.

" Are you crazy Nae Yong? " Kai approached the grinning woman in complete disbelief.

Kris held him back, frowning. " Kai, don't take that tone with Nae. She didn't mean it. " 

" She obviously - "

" Enough. " Kris interrupted Kai, his voice taking a dangerous undertone.

Kai stared at his leader in anger while Kris looked at Ara. He felt horrible that she was in this state but he couldn't bring himself to be mad at Nae Yong. He hesitantly made his way towards her and crouched down, lifting up her chin carefully. " You okay? " he asked softly, feeling extremely bad seeing the blood still dripping out of Ara's mouth.

" Does it look like she's okay? " Kai hissed, pushing Kris out of the way and helping her up. " Lay! "

Lay went over to Ara and placed his hands around her stomach. Almost immediately, Ara felt the pain fade away and Kris relaxed, upon seeing the look of ease on Ara's face. Nae Yong glaced at Kris in suspicion, he seemed to be too worried about this insignificant girl. Her eyes narrowed as she clenched her fist unknowingly.