Exhaustion

The Social Ladder

 

 

"Faster, faster, faster!" Jin had been busy coaching Yoon Hee playing soccer for a few days now. However, it had not been easy. Yoon Hee was not that fit and training her was one hell of a job for Jin. To make it worse, they could only use their school field at night because in the day, the other teams would be practicing and Bora would make sure there was always someone using the field.

Yoon Hee panted as sweats trickeled down her forehead and onto the green field grass. She was very exhausted due to the constant trainings. The school's coach hell training at day, followed by Jin's training at night.

"Oppa, can we take a break?" she asked when she finally managed to catch a breath.

"Yoon Hee, if you stop, you're not going to survive this Thursday!" Jin was starting to act more like a real soccer coach by the moment.

"Please, oppa. I'm exhausted!" 

Jin stared at her for a few seconds before giving in. She really did look like she was going to pass out.

"Thank you oppa!" Yoon Hee exclaimed before her legs gave way to fall to the ground. She did not even have the energy to walk to the bleachers to get her things. She just sat there and Jin came, joining her sitting on the field.

"There's so many stars tonight," Jin blurted while staring at the beautifully lit sky. The stars glowed even brighter as if they understood him.

"Yeah. I used to go star gazing with my dad when we were little. But I guess I got a little caught up being in high school. I didn't even spend that much time with my dad after that," she said, mesmerizing the stars hanging above them.

"We're all like that aren't we? High school is just a tough phase. Don't worry, I'm sure your dad would understand," Jin shifted his gaze to Yoon Hee.

"He always does. I...kind of miss him now."

"Don't worry. Everything is going to be just fine. I promise," Jin messed Yoon Hee's raven hair, causing her to flinch a bit. "Ahh oppa! You're messing my hair!"

"Is it just me or these two are making me cringe even more?" a voice startled the two of them. They turned around and saw Suga alongside RapMon, J-Hope and Jungkook.

"Aren't you just jealous because she didn't call you oppa, hyung?" Jungkook quipped.

"Yah! When did I say that?" Suga protested.

"Should I call you that then, Suga oppa?" Yoon Hee giggled seeing the older's reaction. His body shuddered at the sudden call, showing how much he refused to be call that by her.

"I don't mind, I don't mind!" J-Hope dorkily raised up his hand while jumping a little.

"Alright, fine then. J-Hope oppa, what brings you guys here?" Yoon Hee asked.

"We came to help you practice of course," he beamed.

"You can't just play soccer with two people, can you?" RapMon chimed in.

"Play against you boys?" Yoon Hee sounded worried having to play for real.

"Why? Scared?" Jungkook teased.

"Not a chance, dude," she glared. "Okay, let's do this then!" Jin announced.

 

"Over here!" Suga shouted as he ran to get an open space. Jin swiftly passed the ball to him and just when Suga was about to kick it into the goal guarded by RapMon, J-Hope came out of nowhere and stopped him. He smoothly snatched the ball and dribbled along the field, heading straight towards the opposite team's goal. Jin was not planning on being lenient so he picked up his speed and he was getting closer to J-Hope by the second.

J-Hope too felt that he was going to lose the ball any moment, but he quickly thought what he should do considering the goal was only a few feet away. He threw all negative thoughts away and just gave one strong kick with fingers crossed. However, Jungkook managed to block the ball by just a split second, enough to send the ball rolling to where Yoon Hee was standing.

Suga and Jin saw this and as if in slow motion, Yoon Hee could hear them shouting, "Get up Jungkook! Get up!"

With a certain nod from RapMon, Yoon Hee took that as a signal and kicked the ball straight into the goal.

"Goal!!!" J-Hope and RapMon screamed their lungs out making their way to the shooter and high-fived her multiple times. Suga and Jin made their way to help Jungkook get up on his feet as J-Hope did his happy dance. Jin walked to Yoon Hee afterwards.

Clasping his hand on her shoulder, he said, "Nice job. On second thought, I think you're going to be just fine." Yoon Hee gave him a reassuring smile in return.

"Hyung! Then why not buy us some food? All this tranining is making me hungry," J-Hope said while rubbing his stomach.

"Yah! You're just the one helping out, you don't even train," Jin made out a point.

"Ah hyung, come on. All those part-time jobs that you did? I bet you haven't spent last month's salary," Jungkook tried convincing him.

"You think I make money for you guys or something?" 

"Awh oppa! I'm hungry too. Doesn't this hardworking soccer player deserve your treat?" Yoon Hee tried to attempt him to buy her food.

"You too, Yoon Hee? All this training and this is what I get?"

"Please," the rest of them chorused.

"I am never going to win, am I? Huh, fine, let's go," Jin finally gave in. The younger ones pumped their fists in the air and they walked off happily even with their stomachs grumbling.

 

"Wahh, this is so good," RapMon sniffed in the aroma of the grilling beef as he flipped over the almost burnt out to its rare side. The other boys were busy grilling meat as well except for Jungkook. He seemed a little tired than the rest till the point that he sort of dozed off. Yoon Hee who was sitting next to him was stunned when she felt something heavy on her shoulder. She turned her head only to found that Jungkook was leaning on her. Yoon Hee completely froze in that position that she didn't dare to move.

Jin nudged Suga who was eating spoonfuls of rice and signalled to look at Yoon Hee and Jungkook with his head. Suga gaped his mouth wide open despite knowing that his mouth was full of food. Even J-Hope and RapMon who was generously dipping their grilled beef into the special sauce diverted their attention towards the two. At that time, it felt as if the chatterings of the other customers, the sizzling of the beef and the noise of the ahjumma shouting orders blended into one big blur. It wasn't her first, but why did it felt new to her?

The time seemed as if it resumed when Jungkook's phone rang. He stirred up a bit at first but when he opened his eyes, he saw his hyungs staring at him like he did something wrong. The thing was, maybe he did. He turned to his side and found Yoon Hee's face to be only inches away. Jungkook was startled at first, but he composed himself and picked up the phone.

"Yes mom, we're eating out. Yes, with Yoon Hee and hyungs. Okay, mom, bye," he murmured and hung up.

"Ahhh! I guess I'm really worn out. I'm gonna get going first, hyungs," Jungkook excused himself, trying to get out of that uptight situation. He knew he had to send Yoon Hee anyways, but that night, suddenly falling asleep on her shoulder was pretty embarassing for him. He just hoped that he could get out of the job for once. 

Huh, not so fast, Jungkook.

"Wait, Yoon Hee lives in your neighbourhood, right? Give her a walk home," RapMon instructed.

"Uh, it's okay. I can go back home on my own," Yoon Hee was also flustered by the scene earlier.

"It's not safe for a girl to walk home alone okay. Jungkook, just walk her. Hyung's order," Jin made a serious look that Jungkook couldn't help but obey. He grabbed Yoon Hee's arm and dragged her out. "Ow, ow, ow, ow. Yah! Jeon Jungkook! Slow down, will you?" Yoon Hee's voice disappeared after they walked out of the shop. The rest of the gang just laughed at their antics.

 

The whole journey home couldn't have gotten any more awkward. None of them bothered to say anything so they just kept their mouth shut. When they reached home, Mrs Jeon was up waiting for them while watching her favourite melodrama. "I'm home!" Jungkook announced his presence and just went straight upstairs. Yoon Hee followed right after even though she contemplated the whole way on how to sleep in the same room that night considering on the event earlier.

After Yoon Hee showered and did her daily night skin-care routines, she found that Jungkook was already sleeping, facing the other side of the bed. She too went to the lower bunk and lied down. The scene of Jungkook falling asleep on her shoulder replayed again and again. It was like the replay button in her memory was broken or something. Yoon Hee was on the verge to actually say that he was cute, but suddenly Jungkook's voice disrupted her.

"Hey, are you asleep?" he asked, despite knowing that she wasn't.

Startled, she replied, "No. I thought you are."

"Yeah, well, I tried. But I can't. It's weird you know, I never had troubles sleeping before," Jungkook said. He too, was thinking about the scene earlier. 

There was an ominous silence that filled the room after that. Yoon Hee, for the first time, did not have anything to say.

"About earlier..." Jungkook spoke up first. "You know it wasn't on purpose, right? I mean...I was just tired."

"What earlier? Oh, that. No worries. I'm totally cool with it. Plus, thanks for still coming to help me with soccer. I know you had basketball training all day and wow, you even showed up at night," Yoon Hee lied about the part that she was cool. One of the things she got used to being a mean girl.

"Oh that's nothing. Well, glad you think that way. And Jimin hyung would've come if I didn't so...doesn't make a difference."

"Yeah," she uttered. Jungkook closed his eyes shut, trying to fall asleep

"But it did," Yoon Hee mumbled almost inaudible for Jungkook to hear. Fortunately, he did hear it and his lips curved upwards as he drifted off to sleep.

 

Author's note 
My exams are over~ Woohoooo! I'm free for a long time now! So now I hope I can update as much as I can! Thanks for subscribing :D