Happy Birthday to You

The Social Ladder

 

 

Jungkook lied down on Yoon Hee's bed which was the lower bunk, feeling exhausted after spending just another day of his life with BTS. Yoon Hee on the other hand had a concerned look on her face as she sat beside Jungkook.

"Jungkook, the guys hate me, don't they?" she asked in a serious tone.

Jungkook was a bit startled and he shot straight up.

"Why do you ask that all of a sudden?" he asked her back.

"Answer me."

"Well, I mean, urm...I guess...yes?" he hesitated a bit. Jungkook's heart was starting to soften as he saw a different side of her today. He was feeling guilty whether to say the truth or not, considering that she sort of changed now.

"Why?"

"You're seriously asking why?"

"Why?"

"Are you pretending not to remember or are you just too guilty of what you did to us?"

Yoon Hee blinked her eyes innocently. She honestly didn't remember anything except for the fact that L always tried to mess up with Jin.

"So what? We're just one of the other million of bad things you did to everybody else? Is that it?" Jungkook's gaze suddenly changed. 

Yoon Hee felt uncomfortable, but it was the bitter truth.

Jungkook got up from the bed and walked towards the bathroom. "I'm taking a shower first," he said.

"At least tell me what I did wrong!" she half-yelled.

"You're unbelievable, do you know that? No wonder you're like this now. You're facing karma right now. You deserve it. To lose your house, your parents, your friends."

Yoon Hee bit her lips and gritted her teeth. Jungkook's sudden change of aura was very unpleasant. He was like a totally different person than he was in the day earlier.

Before he stepped into the bathroom, he turned around and said,"No wonder people call you the 4 Deadly Devils. Even when you're wrong, you still don't have a clue what you of did."

He closed the bathroom door with a loud bang, leaving Yoon Hee flustered.

 

The blaring sound of the alarm from phone caused Yoon Hee to stir in her sleep. She was in a deep, deep sleep and this alarm just messed everything up. She searched for her phone under the blankets and when she found it, Yoon Hee automatically pressed the snooze button.

She opened one eye and peeked around. She looked at the time and it showed 9 am. At first, she thought she might just slept in for another 5 minutes, but wait, wasn't it Monday? She immediately shot her eyes open and got up. Yoon Hee looked at the top bunk and she realized Jungkook was already gone. Aisy, he must've left me, she thought.

Mrs Jeon was already at her bakery by the time and Yoon Hee noticed her message for Jungkook.

Jungkook,

Don't forget to walk Yoon Hee today as well. I have to open the shop early today. Be good to her. 

Love, Mom.

Yoon Hee thought that Jungkook purposely ditched her because of last night. God, she was supposed to be angry at him. He always judged her without asking her opinion. 

When Yoon Hee finally made it to school after having a hard time finding the way, she noticed the teacher on duty was already guarding the front gate. She cursed under her breath as she went to the back gate of the school. To her surprise, another student was throwing his backpack to the other side and he seemed like he was ready to jump over.

"V!" she ran toward him thinking that he might help her get across as well.

V turned his head and he immediately frowned.

"You're late too?" she asked.

"Ya think?" he retorted.

Yoon Hee threw her bag to the other side as well and asked V to crouch down. He scoffed, thinking that how ignorant could she be. He hated her and he was pretty sure he made his point. Who would ask for help from the person that hated you?

"Just help me, please," she pleaded.

V was going to just leave her alone and save himself when suddenly, a teacher saw them and he shouted, "Who's there?!"

Both of them panicked, and in that state, V crouched down. He did not know why he did so. He could've just left her there.

"Quick!" he ordered.

Yoon Hee stepped on V's back, climbed the wall and jumped to the other side. V swiflty followed her and they ran for their lives when they saw the teacher who was trying to climb the wall to catch them.

When they get to in front of their class, they stopped. Both of them panted, obviously tired from the running. However, unknowingly, they chuckled at the situation. As in Yoon Hee and V himself.

"Thanks, V, " she uttered. 

Yoon Hee entered the class and bowed to the teacher teaching in front. Strangely enough, V followed right after her and he took his seat where Jimin was beside. Sohee saw this whole thing and sensed that something was going on between BTS and Yoon Hee. Something like a friendship?

 

After class, Yoon Hee saw Jimin at his locker and she fastened her steps toward him. She was eager to know about the reason of why BTS hated her so much. Jimin widened his eyes at the question and nervously laughed.

"No! Why would they hate you?" he tried to sound convincing.

Yoon Hee stared at him, not buying it at all.

"But they hate you because of the old you. You've changed haven't you?"

"I don't know if you should be so sure about that. I'm not the nicest person you know."

"You really don't remember what you did to us?"

Yoon Hee shook her head slowly. Yeah, she was mean and all, but she did that to everyone.

"To Jin hyung?"

Yoon Hee's eyes shone with a glint of guilt. The name Jin certainly rang a bell in her head.

"The guys, they're not that bad like everyone says. Sometimes, the reason they're like that is because that the other person really deserves it."

"You're saying I deserve it?" she asked. She thought Jimin was on her side.

"If you're sorry, say it. Don't just act like nothing happened."

Yoon Hee lowered her head. She was feeling guilty. Even after all this, she still felt a tad bit ashamed to be hanging around with the 'gangsters' of the school. She hated herself for that especially now, she realized that BTS are just normal people. They hated other people because other people hated them first. And that was all because of her.

"Come on, let's go. The guys are waiting," Jimin said as he casually slung an arm over her in the intention of comforting her.

 

As usual, when Jimin and Yoon Hee got to their seats, the BTS guys stopped talking immediately. Jungkook was not there as he had to finish his assignment, last minute, again.

"Are you guys talking about Jungkook's birthday?" Jimin was like a mind reader.

The other guys groaned and V gave him the you-ruined-everything look. They did not want Yoon Hee to be a part of the plan for Jungkook's birthday.

"What?" Jimin asked, pretending that he didn't know anything.

"Jungkook's birthday? When?" Yoon Hee's interest perked up.

"In 2 days time," Jimin replied shortly. 

"Really, what are you guys planning? I love to plan surprises. Once, I planned a really awesome surprise birthday party for L..." she trailed off as she saw the guys start to lose interest in what she had to say.

"We're just doing the usual. Smashing cake into the face style, right guys?" Jimin asked to confirm. When they didn't respond, J-Hope spoke up, "You can help to plan if you want."

That was enough to earn glares from V, Suga and Jin. 

Rap Monster chimed in,"Yeah, I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind, right?"

Their stiff expressions certainly indicated otherwise. Yoon Hee was going to disagree, feeling not comfortable with them irking at her presence. But suddenly, like a light bulb, an idea popped up in her mind. She thought this was the perfect opportunity to show Jungkook that she was not as bad as he thought. To repair their strained relationship.

 

The ringtone of 'What's Your Dream?' filled throughout the room, disturbing his sleep. Jungkook stirred and stirred, not wanting to pick up the call but that other person surely was irritating. It kept on ringing so Jungkook had no choice but to get up.

"Hello?" he answered the call in a low voice.

"Jungkook! Jungkook! Help me!" she said in an alerting tone, but almost like a whisper.

Jungkook slowly started to recognize the voice. He widened his eyes when his brain finally processed who she was.

"Yoon Hee? Why are you calling me? What's happening? It's almost midnight! Where the hell are you?" his voice sounded worried.

"Just come quick! I think someone's following me!"

"Haisy, okay. Where are you?"

"Near the bakery."

"I'm on my way," he got up and immediately got out of his room to rescue the girl he hated just minutes ago.

He ran, searching for Yoon Hee frantically, thinking that what if something bad happened to her. He shook the negative thoughts away and as he turned around, he saw her. Alone. Nobody was following her whatsoever.

"Yoon Hee!" he called. She didn't turn back and instead just kept on walking. She walked up towards the rooftop of a building, while Jungkook, in much confusion, just followed her. "Yoon Hee! Where are you going?"

As he stepped out into the open rooftop floor, he was taken aback by the sight that he was seeing. His BTS hyungs were all there, with Yoon Hee holding a cake with candles lit on it. They sang him the birthday song as all of them walked closer to where Jungkook was standing.

"What are you waiting? Make a wish and blow the candles!" V said.

Jungkook was still processing what was happening but he blew the candles anyways. The other guys clapped happily and Jungkook chuckled at this. Yoon Hee's lips formed a curve upwards. It was that smile, she thought. A very sincere smile from him. And she was the one to make him smile like that.

After that, they sat down on a big used table that was there and cut the cake. Everyone literally induleged themselves into the goodness of the chocolate cheesecake.

"Wow! It's really good!" J-Hope spoke up after taking a bite.

"I can't believe we made this!" Suga added. 

"We?" Jungkook raised an eyebrow.

"Yoon Hee suggested that. She said why not have a change for once. And plus, we're outside, eating cake, chilling out on a rooftop, on a school day. What could be better?" Jimin explained.

"Yeah, your house is just downstairs hyung," Jungkook pointed out.

"We couldn't think of another place that's cool enough, okay. No shop would be open at this hour."

"And you guys got out how?" Jungkook was getting more suspicious by this sudden surprise.

"You don't know your hyung? We sneaked out, of course," RapMon said.

"Heol! Daebak! You made BTS bake and sneak out just for their maknae that they never care for?" Jungkook widened his eyes in admiration toward Yoon Hee. She nodded acknowledgingly and boasted,"I know, I know. Best birthday ever right?"

Jungkook scoffed at the question and suddenly, Jimin and Jin grabbed something under the table. They pulled it out and started to lit it up.

"The best part yet," Jin said and immediately fired it towards the sky with Jimin's help.

Fireworks were sparkling in the night sky, creating explosion sounds and colourful patterns. RapMon brought one to Jungkook and asked him to fire it himself.

"Um, is this even legal?" he asked.

"Since when do you care?" the leader replied.

Jungkook smirked and fired his own firework to the sky. The other guys started joining them, fascinated by the fireworks. It was not everyday that you got to fire your own fireworks. Yoon Hee watched from afar, satisfied with her plan. It was successful, as always. Might not be the best birthday party, but definitely the most memorable one. For once, she felt like she had done something good in a long time.

 

"For you," she handed Jungkook a box wrapped cutely in a polka dot wrapping paper with a black ribbon on top when they reached home. They had snucked in quietly, unknown to Mrs Jeon's knowledge. 

"Thanks," he uttered. He was surprised enough that she would plan all that for him, and now a present? She was definitely a different person than what he imagined. He tore the wrappers and unveiled a box containing a pair of brand new sneakers.

"You're going to play basketball at the Sports Fest right?" she reasoned.

Jungkook was bewildered. She did not seem that bad, now that she put it this way, he thought. "Where'd you get the money?" he asked.

"I have my savings. Don't worry I didn't rob a bank or anything," she joked.

"You know, you should drop 'the judge the book by its cover' act," Yoon Hee continued. Jungkook was shocked. He knew perfectly what she meant.

"I know you hate me, but don't judge me like that. I might not be the nicest person out there, but I still have feelings, you know," she said bluntly and walked to the bed. She lied down, facing the other way, while Jungkook was stunned by her words.

How did she manage to always make him feel guilty when she was the one at fault? Jungkook sighed and went to sleep as well.

 

Author's note 
My exam is still ongoing, but I have like a few days of break first so, I'm updating this!!! This chapter is dedicated to the forever cute, the one and only idol dongsaeng that I know is younger than me; JEON JUNGKOOK ^^ His birthday was on Sept 1 and Bangtan Channel premiered on the 3rd! Heeeee :3 They are so variety-ready. Hillariously fun, right??? Ahhh, my bangtan feels~

Anyways, thanks for subscribing and commenting! It keeps me motivated :D