Graduation

The Social Ladder

 

Jungkook and the others were waiting anxiously in front of the operation room. The red light was still on, indicating a surgery was in process. No one said a word, they just all sat in mute silence. L was pacing back and forth, his hand ruffling his already messy hair. They were all exhausted and worn out, but no one wanted to leave. They chose to stay.

A woman in her mid 40's marched towards them, she was wearing something very extravagant for just a visit in the hospital. A girl whose age was around the one of an elementary student trailed behind her while tugging at her jacket. Both of them seemed like a tragedy just occured to them.

"Omoni?" L stopped pacing, saving the soles of his sneakers from wearing out. His eyes widen at her sight and he bowed to her immediately.The rest did the same although half of them didn't even know who the woman was.

"How is she?"

"She's still in the operating room," L answered flatly. The woman's shoulders deflated as she staggered to the back. She seemed like she was going to pass out any moment and Jin immediately stood up to help her sit down. "Umma, what about unni? Is she going to be okay?" the little girl was so innocent that it made her mother bursted out of tears. The tears that she had been holding in ever since she received the news.

The glass doors beneath the red light slided open, revealing a group of doctors with masks covering their faces and scrubs tainted will splashes of little blood. One of them was standing out more than the others. He stood a little more front compared to the others. With a complexion of skin slightly tanner than most Koreans, his eyes were stoic and opaque. Nothing could be translated out of those two pair of hazelnut orbs. Only when he removed the mask masquerading his visual did he start breaking down the news.

"She's fine. The bullet caused severe internal bleeding but luckily it didn't hit the major organs. She's passed out for now and will need a lot of rest. Family and friends' support would be helpful for her recovery."

Like someone just gave back the oxygen to the stark, cold hallway, everyone heaved out a sigh of relief. It washed over them at the right moment. Because they weren't sure if they could handle it if the doctor had said otherwise.

"I'm going in," the woman made her way to the first class hospital room, specificially catered for Korea's best designer's daughter who had the knack for fashion as much as her mother does. Behind her was Somin, still tugging at her mother's velvet jacket. She was uncomfortable with the whole atmosphere of being in a hospital. The smell of medicine infiltrated her sister's room and she could evidently hear the beeping sound of the strange machine she only saw on televisions. She went to clinics when the fever caught her but no, not the hospital. It only made her logic accepted why people hated hospitals so much.

Sohee was lying on the bed, onconscious. There were these wires that were connected to her as if she had been a sick kid ever since she was a baby. She seemed like a sleeping beauty. Just lying there with her eyes closed, her long lashes complimenting her surreal beauty. Her long jet-black raven hair was all rolled into a surgical cap and she was in the hospital's gown. 

But Sohee looked different that day. She was vulnerable and weak. And that shattered her family's heart explicitly.

"Sohee-yah," she softly called her out. Her hand interlaced with her daughter and it just broke her soul even more feeling the insensational cold feeling from her ivory grip. There was no warmth. But then again Sohee had never show the warmest affections to her either.

"I'm here. Omma is here."

"Unni, please wake up. You're making mom cry. Unni," Somin cooed, she was standing by her mom at the edge of the bed. She could register what had happened albeit the lack of explanation from anyone even. She might be young, but she was matured enough to know it was probably the worst tragedy that could ever happen to her family.

"I'm sorry, honey. It's my fault you're here like this. I know you won't forgive me but please, open your eyes. Your friends, they're all outside. All of them."

No matter how many words were spoken that night, Sohee didn't budge. It made her seem like a living corpse, which was far worse than death. And no matter how much tears rolled down Somin's pallid cheeks, her heart won't stop clenching. She was scared, scared of losing the only sister she ever had. Only then did she learned that losing someone was a person's worst fear. Worse than experiencing death instead.

Exchanging turns of visit was probably the worse idea ever. Yoon Hee had agreed to at least see how Sohee was after Infinite did, but only on the condition that she would go alone. It wasn't because she was afraid she might cry over her mortal enemy and everyone else would witness it. It was because she felt like she wouldn't cry over it and everyone would think of her as a heartless person. 

Yoon Hee was there the moment it happened. She witnessed every second of it; when the bullet hit Sohee where everyone believed to be near her heart, when her body thud against the floor, when the sound of sirens blasted throughout the room, when she was wheeled into the operating room. She recalled the past events vividly.

And yet, it still felt surreal.

felt dry and her palms were getting sweaty. She closed the door and turned around on her heels only to be faced with a motionless Sohee. It was a bit unusual for her to see Sohee in a state like that. But she embraced all courage and stepped closer to get a better look.

Having a rival or an enemy, it made strive for the better. That was exactly what Sohee did to her. Yoon Hee could remember all the fights and the hair pulling and the shouts, how much hatred they harboured towards one another. At that time, it was merely "I hate you." Just that and that alone.

But one of the weirdest feelings was to see your rival beaten up. Weak and defeated. She never gave up nor did she lost to Yoon Hee, but somehow then, she was obviously the one with a disadvantage. 

Yoon Hee sat on a plastic chair that was placed beside her bed. She examined the beeping machine and somehow she felt relieved. Relieved that Sohee didn't die. Relieved that it was all over. But who knows what Sohee might bring up the table once she got all these wires snatched off her. She might keep on torturing her till graduation, she might continue after high school ended. What Yoon Hee knew was that she'd be prepared then. And she'd be much more reasonable and composed. Because she would always keep in mind that Sohee was the one to pity here, not her.

Sohee lacked attention but she truly cares for Somin. She worked hard to get the number one ranking for every test but never did her mom acknowledge such a wonderful accomplishment. She has the brains and the beauty, maybe with a little bit of popularity, but she never felt hapiness. Not enough compassion. Not enough attention. Not enough love.

No tears were formed but Yoon Hee knew that she wasn't a bad person. Because for the first time ever she felt sorry for Sohee, genuinely.



Like the news of Seungri High were infamous for spreading in mere minutes, the healing camp gone wrong incident couldn't be left out. By the time Christmas was over, everybody was bustling around with the news but no one knew what really happened aside from them. Rumours were spread from original stories, adding up unnecessary incidents and ridiculous information. People who claimed they were on the same bus or shared the same room with them were the ones others chose to believe in more. 

Infinite, Yoon Hee, 3D's, even BTS decided to keep quiet about the whole incident. No one spoke up as to what really happened since it would be no use anyways. No one dared to ask them too, and so they preferred to keep it that way.

The news about Sohee getting shot was the first to shake the whole school into great terror. Parents came riling up and making complaints about their child's safety. Reporters were flooded in front of the school, the hospital and Sohee's house almost for the whole week after the incident. Mrs. Ahn didn't sue the school or gave any comments to the media regarding the incident. She instead spent her time taking care of Sohee, something she hadn't been able to do for the years that she lived. If there was anyone she wanted to blame, it was herself. 

Karma exists. And when karma bites back, it bites back hard at you.

That was the one thing L learnt after this incident. Not long after the police investigations, Kim Yoochang was exposed for his evil deeds and crimes. It was revealed that he embezzled money from his own company and accused his ex-partner, Sohee's dad instead. The money embezzled was then linked to drug trafficking as to where the basement was one of the places he stored them. L's dad was arrested and it was only a matter of time before L's reputation went down the hill. 

In just a blink of an eye, L was an outcast.

But just like when Yoon Hee had BTS, L was lucky to have Infinite. They were more loyal than he thought and for the first time in his lives, he knew exactly who were his friends. BTS and Infinite's rivalry was of no importance anymore and so was Yoon Hee with her 'ex-best friends.' As if the tragedy of nearing death was a wake up call to Sohee, she no longer bothered about reputations and positions. She felt elated seeing her mother when she first opened her eyes in the hospital and after a series of apologies, she reconciled with her mother. 

She felt happy and that was all that mattered.

In case you were wondering, 3D's disbanded. Sohee never picked up any fights with Yoon Hee again and she was smiling that beautiful smile of hers more often. Tiffany kept on chasing Jin after she confessed and he (politely) rejected. He couldn't really run away since he joined that acting agency which belonged to Mr. Hwang's close friend. Bora dealt with her family issues to which she found comfort among her friends. She still got to see her twin brothers every now and then though.

L laid low for the rest of the year and he was getting less mad nowadays. He made up with Yoon Hee and he liked to say that he's cool with her now. Same goes to her. Jungkook was slightly sad when Yoon Hee moved out of his house considering now that her family moved back to Seoul. They still see each other at school so no worries there. Yoon Hee? She was happy with where she was now. She got her friends, family, boyfriend. What else could she ask for? 

It was as if her life was finally perfect.



"Hey how do I look?" Jin showed up amidst the chaotic scene of getting everybody ready. He grinned while twirling around in the blue robe and graduation hat. "Hyung!" his dongsaengs were just as excited as he was. Finally, Jin was able to graduate.

"Oppa, you look handsome as always," Yoon Hee went on and fixed his graduation hat so that it was properly placed. "Don't I always?" Jin raised an eyebrow as J-Hope sighed. 

"This hyung is always so over confident with his looks!"

"It's the truth. Deal with it," Jin smirked as the latter rolled his eyes.

"Hyung, they're calling us already," RapMon came running and informed them that the event was about to start. Suga and J-Hope took note as the rest of BTS bid goodbye to the graduates. "Yoon Hee! Be sure to take lots of pictures of me!" Jin managed to shout before he too went to take his seat.

Yoon Hee strided towards the open lawn where over a hundred seats were arranged for the graduates and over two hundred more for the parents and fellow friends. She took a seat beside L who was fiddling with his phone at the moment.

"Yoon Hee! You're here," Sunggyu greeted as the rest of the boys smiled. L looked up and saw Yoon Hee only blocking half the sunlight that was blinding him earlier. "Wow you're shining today," he joked while Yoon Hee just scoffed at him. She carefully sat, not wanting to wrinkle her delicate skirt. Yoon Hee took out her polaroid camera and tried to prepare by taking few shots of the graduation scenery.

"Why don't you just take a picture of me? I'm better looking than the crowd obviously."

Yoon Hee turned to the side and captured L smirking, his bangs were put down covering his forehead unlike his usual spiked up hairdo. "There, happy?" she handed him the instant photo which was still too dark for the image to be visibly seen.

"Where's your boyfriend?" he drawled on the word, making Yoon Hee glare teasingly at him. 

"He's here, somewhere."

"You know I feel sorry for him," L was still staring at the picture waiting for it to show his face.

"Why?"

"Because he has to deal with someone like you. He's a keeper though. Not anyone can stand a brat like you."

Yoon Hee pouted and started hitting him by the arm, feeling annoyed. "Yah, yah, I'm joking! Geez, take it easy woman."

"You're right. Not anyone can stand someone like me," she smirked before turning to face the front once more. 

"Are you guys still fighting or do you just hate each other that much?" Jungkook finally came followed by Jimin, Sohee, Bora and Tiffany. The girls sat behind by one row while the boys sat in the same row as Yoon Hee. "L, quit teasing her," Tiffany reprimanded while eyeing L who was still rubbing his arm. "Unless you wanted to get hit, of course," Sohee bluntly remarked and Jungkook couldn't help but to chuckle.

The grand music by the school band started to play gaining the audience's attention. The graduates entered by two lines, walking in order to their assigned seats. As soon as they did, the music stopped abruptly and Mr. Oh began his job as the emcee of the graduation event. It followed suit with a few words from the principal which was surprinsingly shorter than his usual speeches. The graduation ceremony was officiated by the cutting of the ribbon and soon the valedictorian speech was next.

"Now, let's hear from this year's Seungri's valedictorian, Kim Sunggyu!" the slit-eyed senior sauntered towards the podium while the others clapped and cheered for him.

"Uhm, I know that the smartest kid always make the speech and no doubt I'm the smartest one here," the audience laughed at his ment. "But I think there's someone more deserving to stand here and talk today. Someone much senior than us," Sunggyu went down the mini stage and gestured at Jin to take his place. Though shocked, Jin managed to drag his feet all the way to the podium but he was still lost for words.

"Well, I...honestly don't know what to say."

"Go Jin hyung!" Jimin shouted enthusiastically while standing up amidst the crowd as Jungkook just glowered in embarassment. Jin laughed at this, he felt thankful to Jimin because he felt less tensed now.

"I'm not supposed to be here," he began his speech. "All of us who go to Seungri High knows that I should graduate earlier but didn't pass the qualifications to," his confession earned a few gasps from the parents. "But I'm glad I didn't. In fact I'm very glad I didn't."

"Early this semester, I am a troublemaker. No, the troublemaker of Seungri High. I cause chaos and pick up fights. I didn't have a goal in life and unknowingly, I was too much into high school. In here, it's always about social standards and who wears the best clothes or who's at the top of the social ladder. But the truth is, there's more to that in life."

"Because in the end, no one will remember petty things like that. We will remember our friends, the ones who stood by our side no matter what happens. Some of us might remember their high school romance. Sadly, I don't have one," laughter once again resonated amidst the audience.

"We all have to forgive and forget, and I'm glad I did that too. Because now, I found great people to be friends with and now, I feel happier. I'm proud of who I am today and the people I am with. And so, thank you for making my extra high school senior year something worth remembering. Both the good and the bad."

"Enough with all the touching talk, let's give it up for Seungri's senior year of 2013!" 

The crowd once again erupted in cheers and claps, even some whistles in between. Scrolls were given out one by one to the graduates and Yoon Hee was in position to take pictures of her oppas. The ceremony then officially ended and all of Infinite, BTS and the girls gathered together. "We graduated!" they did the classic move of throwing their graduation hats into the air, wide smiles were painted on their faces. They all then shuffled out of the school's lawn, stepping outside into the real world of life.

 

Author's note 
I'm so glad I get to finish this story despite the constant writer's block and that college's starting soon. This story ended on a good note. They're all not necessarily friends with each other after that camp, but they don't fight or hate each other anymore. Thank you for all of you who subscribed, commented, upvoted and read this story. You guys who stuck till the end, thank you so much really! <3 I couldn't have stick to this without you guys so yeah.  Hope all of you have a great summer later! ^^ /throws hearts through jungkook.