The Lead Role

The Social Ladder

 

 

Late that night, the weather changed abruptly. Sheets of rain began pouring its way, contrary to what Jungkook had thought. Truthfully, he had imagined himself and Soojin having the perfect 'hangout' on a perfect day with the perfect weather. But he amissed. Mother Nature seemed like she was disapproving of what looked like to be something blossoming between the two teenagers.

"I'm home!" Jungkook carefully shut the front door, not wanting to wake up his already drained mother who was probably already sleeping to the rain's lullaby. He ruffled his hair, now wet due to the drizzling outside.

"I guess you had too much fun on your date to consider you coming in so late," Yoon Hee mused. She didn't mean it in a bad way, it was just that she couldn't shake away this disturbing conscience she had ever since she met Soojin.

"You didn't need to wait up for me," he made his way to the leather couch and plopped right next to her. His eyes were glued to the screen illuminating Go Ara's latest drama. She always had this facial features that Jungkook seemed to be fond of. "I wasn't," she replied sternly, a bit too denial.

The increasing intensity of irritance in Yoon Hee's reply earlier did not bother him to the very least. Perhaps it was the ever-so-excellent acting of his favourite actress, or perhaps he was just as tactless as he seemed. Jungkook's hand naturally slid into the bag of chips Yoon Hee had placed on the coffee table and he munched on the salty potato goodness. She sighed, feeling relieved that he decided not to question her motive for still staying up this late on a school night.

"Yoon Hee, doesn't it make you cringe when guys do aegyos?" Jungkook finally uttered after 15 minutes of silence. Startled, she only managed to asked again, "Eo?" He tilted his chin towards the screen; a scene where the character Trash was talking in an unacceptable nauseating voice to his girlfriend.

"Some guys could pull off aegyo really well," she defended. Frankly, she wasn't into guys who would do a gwiyomi song just to console his sulking girlfriend. But she couldn't deny that idols like EXO's Baekhyun was just meant to swoon noona fans worldwide with cute gestures rather than masculine approach. Despite the fact that she was younger of course.

"What about me?" his question caused Yoon Hee to be taken aback. "I am the maknae of BTS and I've seen the way Sungjong uses his lemon-candy-like-smile to get his noona fans to buy him stuff."

"Yeah, but you being cute doesn't suit up to your gangster image," she replied nonchalantly. He disapprovingly squinted his eyes, feeling a little bit challenged by her blunt reply. Jungkook made a mental note to himself to prove that she was wrong when the right time came.

 

Jin removed the helmet from his head and tried to fix his disheveled hair by looking at his motorbike's side mirror. He glanced around only to find the other students who just arrived at school dashing towards a certain direction. Everyone looked like they were in a hurry, as if a Hollywood celebrity just decided to appear at the humble Seungri High. 

Sparked by curiosity, Jin made his way to where a crowd of people had hovered at the school's notice board. He tried to get his way past them, but it was much more difficult than he thought. After a few struggles and pushes, finally, he made it right into the front. He scrutinized the printing on the A4 pink paper; Cast List for Winter Play 2013. His index finger scrolled down to the list of names and he was more than stunned to see his name as the lead for the play. 

What was even more shocking was Hwang Tiffany was listed as the lead's love interest.

"Daebak! Tiffany actually chose Jin over Sungyeol!" Jungkook's ears perked up hearing the words of the female student who passed by him. He exchanged knowing looks with Jimin who seemed to have heard the same thing earlier. On cue, they strided to where the massive amount of students were heading towards to.

"Jin hyung!" the two called out as soon as they saw him with Yoon Hee near where everyone was huddling at.

"What the hell is going on?" Jimin asked confusedly when they made it to where the two were standing. "Jin oppa got casted as the main lead in this year's winter play!" she exclaimed brightly, her excited face was clearly portrayed. "Aish, it's not something to be proud of, Yoon Hee," he carefully removed her hand that was tugging his jacket since earlier, slightly embarassed.

"Waaa! Then congrats, hyung!" Jimin continued the celebratory act by giving him a good old pat on the back. His cheeky grin was plastered on his face as usual. "If hyung gets to be the lead, then what about that skyscraper?" Jungkook creased his eyebrows. 

 

"I am the what? The villain?!" Sungyeol screamed right next to his girlfriend's ear as he reached out for a tissue after spurting out his americano. "Just so you know, your character is the main supporting one, alright. So don't start complaining," Tiffany bluntly replied but she was cut short by the call from her cellphone. "Oh, ssaem. Yes, don't worry. I'll go right now," she hung up and immediately got up, walking out on her so-called boyfriend just like that.

"Yah! Where are you going? What about my part?" he shouted from afar but the only response he got was a slight wave with her back still him.

"But don't you think something's strange? I mean why would that drama queen let Jin hyung to be a part of something that she practically had been preaching for ever since she was in kindergarten? No offense, hyung," at the other side, Jungkook was still questioning Tiffany's motive.

Yoon Hee nodded in response but she merely said, "You're right. But for now let's just put that aside. Oppa is in the play and that's exactly what we wanted."

"Then, that means hyung is going to be the most popular kid in school or something like that?" Jimin's eyes clearly showed that he was excited for that meant BTS was going to get more recognition as well. But all that earned a smack from Jin. "Don't be so happy. I'm still not relaxed about all this," he confessed. "Oh, isn't that her?" Jungkook pointed to the direction Tiffany was walking.

"You guys go ahead first. I'll go confront her," Yoon Hee sent the boys away before she fluttered to the diva. A bit startled, Tiffany stopped in her tracks almost too immediately. She tried to get past, but Yoon Hee spread her arms wide, blocking her from doing so. Knowing she couldn't do anything, Tiffany sighed in agitation and barked, "What?!"

"Why do you put Jin oppa as the lead?" Yoon Hee crossed her arms, acting tough.

"Isn't that what you want?" Tiffany wasn't going to back out on this easily.

"Exactly. Why are you giving me what I want?"

"Listen here. If you're wondering what do I have up my sleeves, I don't. Jin is a good actor and I am being professional. You know this play is my main priority every year, right? And I don't mix personal issues with business," she spat out before storming off. Yoon Hee gaped at her action but there was this part of her that believed Tiffany. For some reason, she felt like that was truth. She shook away the thoughts, a part of her was still worried that she would fall for the act of the school's biggest drama queen.

 

Out of boredom, V dragged his foot back on forth, forcing the soles of his sneakers to be worn out even faster than it should've been. He had been waiting like that for only ten minutes, but it felt like eternity when you had nothing better to do. Was he doing the right thing? The question kept on lingering in his mind. Maybe he shouldn't do this.

He turned his head towards the massive group of students happily walking back home and squinted his eyes to search for her. After a 45 degree turn, he finally spotted her smiling and being a little bit amiable than usual with Jungkook. "Yoon Hee yah!" he waved his hand to her, urging her to fasten her steps.

"Uh, V hyung. What are you doing here still?" Jungkook asked innocently. Ignoring the maknae, he straight ahead went and grabbed Yoon Hee's flail arm. "I need to talk to you, alone," his eyes slightly glared towards Jungkook, which was not what he would usually do.  "But Jungkook and I are going to the ddeokbokki store," Yoon Hee whined. She didn't dare to question again when V showed off his fiery glare, but that was just his way in saying S.O.S.

"Well, looks like it's going to be next time, Jungkook. Sorry," she shrugged apologetically before getting dragged by V. Jungkook was left alone. He sighed in grimace, wondering the reason of why V would act like that. Guess he might just asked Soojin out again.

 

 

*Ssaem = teacher.

Author's note 

28th_GDA_BTS_BTS.jpg

CONGRATS TO BTS FOR WINNING GDA ROOKIE AWARD! ^0^