Counterattack

The Social Ladder

 

 

The windchime created a short harmonious sound as the front door was pushed open. Another customer walked in for the 50th time that day and strided straight towards the counter. "Welcome to JJ's bakery! How may I help you, sir?" Yoon Hee's lips curved up into the best smile she could muster at the moment. It was Sunday, meaning the first day of getting grounded begins. She was there along with Jungkook since Mrs. Jeon said they were lacking staff. Jungkook just thought that his mother was never going to trust them with the house alone anymore.

"Give me one caramel macchiato and one cafe latte. Extra whipping cream. Oh and get me one of those peanut butter cupcakes," he ordered smoothly. Yoon Hee thought that he must be a regular considering his know-how in the menus. Heck, he even knew better than she did. Who to blame? She never worked before, and a bakery would be the last place she would ever imagine. Yoon Hee had not see this coming. She hated working part-time, but since it was just for a day, she decided to go along with it.

Jungkook and Yoon Hee scrambled off their feet and got working. Despite being taught just this morning on how to prepare the drinks, Yoon Hee was doing a pretty impressive job herself as she mentally replayed the steps in making a caramel macchiato. Jungkook on the other hand was pretty used to it, it wasn't the first time his mother asked for his help like this. Yoon Hee then grabbed both drinks and handed them over to the customer earlier with a big smile painted on her face. "Thank you, please come again!" 

The girl behind the customer earlier stepped forward for it was now her turn to order. As usual, Yoon Hee greeted her, bowing 90 degrees all the way down, but as her body straightened up again, the smile on her face earlier faded away. It was instead replaced with a frown. "Why? Not happy to see me?" Sohee smirked. Yoon Hee then realized that a few of her friends were also there. L, Hoya and Bora were seated at a table about 7 metres away from her. Yoon Hee scoffed thinking how she was the one who would be sitting in Sohee's empty seat right there, how they were her friends. But that was a long time ago, a very very long time ago.

"Um, give me two americanos, one peach tea and one mango frappe," Sohee finally blurted her order out. With hesitation, Yoon Hee got going to the station where most equipments for making drinks were located. Jungkook noticed the change of aura around Yoon Hee which ticked her off. He stretched his neck to gain a clearer view of the 'customer' who just made her order. To his surprise, he found Sohee there. Ahn Sohee, the that was making Yoon Hee's life miserable. He didn't know why, but he too felt outraged. It was as if Yoon Hee's mood was contagious. Just then, Jungkook matched eyes with Sohee, who in return looked at him bluntly. "Can you bring our order over there? Because it seems like she's going to take forever," she ordered before loped towards her friends.

JJ's Bakery didn't really serve food right to the customers' tables. The customers themselves are usually the ones to order at the counter and carry them back to their places. What Sohee did was irrational and unacceptable, but Jungkook didn't want to start a fight again. Not in his mother's bakery on top of that. It was enough that he got grounded, his electronics privileges confiscated and now even helping out at the bakery. He sighed heavily before he walked away to help Yoon Hee with the orders.

Minutes later, Yoon Hee brought their orders to their table. Jungkook insisted to serve, but Yoon Hee said that it was okay. She assured him nothing was going to happen. "Here are your orders," Yoon Hee said flatly whilst handing out the drinks. She was about to turn away when she heard Sohee shouting, "Hey, I don't drink frappe. I want a mocha latte!" With all the patience Yoon Hee had left, she her heels and spoke up, "But you ordered mango frappe earlier." "Oh, did I? Oops, my bad," Sohee pretended to show her an apologetic look. Yoon Hee had no choice but to just change the order.

After another round of coffee grinding and whipping cream, Yoon Hee went to serve Sohee her order. Again, Jungkook insisted to give it to her, but Yoon Hee refused. Well, Yoon Hee should've listen to him because as she was almost approaching their table, she felt something was in her way and tripped her to fall down flat on the face. The mocha latte dramatically splashed onto Yoon Hee's shirt on the process, causing her chest to be smeared in it. She heard the faint laughing in the background and the whispers of the other customers in the bakery. "What the fu-" Yoon Hee was interrupted by Jungkook who immediately dashed over to help her get up. "Are you okay? Did it hurt?" those were the questions that kept on repeating and coming out of Jungkook's mouth.

"What in the world is wrong with you?! You ordered some stupid drink and then say to change it. You freaking ask for a service when we don't even charge anything for it here! Then you trip me over? Seriously, what do you want you !" that was it, Yoon Hee's persevearance was gone. She couldn't take it anymore. The fact that everyone else was staring at her, she completely disregarded it. She had a bad feeling when she saw her this morning, and she was right. When Sohee was around, it never was going to be normal and peace. In response, Sohee pretended to yawn and put her hand over . "Ahhh, this is so boring. Are you done yet?" she taunted. 

Yoon Hee gritted her teeth. That was it. She had had enough. Yoon Hee raised her hand and she swore she was going to slap the madness out of Sohee. This girl needed a lesson, she thought. Her intention was stopped when Jungkook held her wrist. "Don't. Can't you see? This is what she wants. You're going to get into a lot of trouble later," he slowly whispered, consoling her from her spontaneous reaction. Yoon Hee stole one last glance at Sohee whose mind she could never read. Sohee had always been a pokerface when she first know her. No one could tell what she was really thinking. Even so, Yoon Hee believed in Jungkook. She let her hand down, in defeat.

"What is going on around here?" Mrs. Jeon finally came into the scene as Jungkook tried hard to not let her through. "Oh, nothing really. But you should really teach your worker here some manners, Mrs. Jeon," Sohee uttered, her words boiled Yoon Hee's blood even more. Just then, Sohee looked over to search for someone and when her eyes caught Bora, who did an 'ok' sign with her hand, she immediately said, "We'll get going then." L and Hoya followed silently behind her as Bora exited the bakery as well. 

"Park Yoon Hee, clean up this mess and take off for the day. I think you did me enough favour already," Mrs. Jeon weakly said and she strided away from the scene. Yoon Hee could tell she was disappointed rather than angry, it was written all over her face. She couldn't help but to feel even more fired up towards Sohee who was practically the cause of all this. Yoon Hee balled up a fist, promising herself that Sohee was going to pay.

 

"Yah! Yah! Have guys heard it?" Woohyun came into Class 4-1, his eye twitched in excitement as if he couldn't wait to tell his friends whatever that had happened. "What?" Sunggyu looked up to his seatmate curiously. Dongwoo who was seated behind Sunggyu also craned forward, all ears to what Woohyun had to say. Perhaps the whole class was, actually. When someone came in running like they knew who was going to win the next Olympics, everyone became alert. 

"Coach Yoon got a divorce! It's all over the news!" Woohyun exclaimed, loud enough for the WHOLE class to hear. J-Hope who was surprisingly on his light sleeping mode lifted his head up and his gaze first landed on Woohyun. "The national soccer team's coach? As in Bora's dad? For real?" Dongwoo inquired one question after the other. Woohyun nodded convincingly as a girl with black bob hair fluttered to their seats which were at the front of the class. "Oh yeah, I saw it too when my dad bought the papers this morning!" Then another guy who had the same slit-like eyes like Sunggyu also joined in. "Daebak! What's going to happen to her?"

Woohyun merely shrugged, as if he forgot the fact that she was his friend. Sunggyu on the other hand had a void expression, no one could tell what was going through his mind. J-Hope who had been observing all this was trying to digest what he had heard. He was beginning to connect all the dots as to what happened yesterday. He remembered back how troubled her face looked and all the initial cold responses. "So that's what happened," J-Hope mumbled to himself now that everything was crystal clear.

In Class 1-3, the same situation was taking place. Soojin and her group of friends were busy gossiping about the same thing and Jungkook could not help but to overhear. It was funny to think how only a week ago they had been gossiping about the cause of Tiffany and Sungyeol's breakup with an additional rumour of Jin being the third person. Only now the news had changed. It was kind of groundbreaking considering that Bora's father was a sports icon. He was Korea's soccer team's coach, the one who moulded The Reds to what they were today. So not only the students in Seungri High would know about this, it wouldn't be surprising if the whole South Korea did too.

The sliding doors created a harsh banging sound against the wall as it were opened. The little groups of secret gossip circles scampered back to their seats and Jungkook shot his head to the direction, expecting the 40-year old male with freckles on his cheekbones and a fluent Korean greeting as if he wasn't an Australian citizen himself. What met his eyes was a total unexpected twist as Sohee marched into the classroom with a few teachers behind her back, as if escorting her to these innocent freshmen. "There he is!" she pointed her finger confidently.

All eyes trailed to where the finger lands on, and as Jungkook tried to find whoever her next victim was, it was then it clicked. "Jeon Jungkook, out now," Mr Han, the principal of Seungri High himself ordered him. It wasn't the proud feeling when you became the exemplary student, it was the opposite. The feeling of when you were going to get into trouble. 

Jungkook stood up and strided to the front. All eyes were on him, Soojin's was filled with slight concern. Everyone in the room knew that something was wrong, something that triggered Sohee's fury. In the meantime, Mr Do who was the school's mad dog, the one whom you might want to run away for the rest of your life if you are really bad at abiding rules, made his way to Jungkook's place. He grabbed Jungkook's backpack strapped at the back of the chair and started rummaging through it. He poured all of its contents, the other students gaping at his action. With a little more searching, Mr Do finally found it.

"That's it! That's mine!" Sohee pointed towards it as she pushed a student out of her way to retrieve it from Mr Do. "What the hell? I haven't even seen that before!" Jungkook defended himself but it was too late for mere words. Proof was right there in front him, and everyone was witnessing this founding. "What thief would admit that he steals? This is my bracelet, everyone knows it's mine," Sohee once again pointed to the charm bracelet that she had already put on by then. Jungkook scoffed, not believing that she would do something as childish as this to get back at BTS. "You are unbelievable, do you know that, ?"

"Words, Jungkook! Follow me to the principal's office now!" Mr Do barked, leaving him no chance but to obey. Whispers and murmurs could be heard already as he exited the classroom with heavy steps. A few students - both girls and guys fished out their phones and immediately started texting, spreading the latest rumour. Sungjong did the same, but it was different than the rest.

To : Infinite

It's settled. Bora noona did well! Sohee noona is such a genius. Now time to move to part 2 of our plan.

 

It was one of the days when Namjoo decided to sit beside V. This happened occasionally since Jimin no longer sit with V anymore. If in the past V would throw a fit when Jimin decided to dump him for a girl like Yoon Hee, but now, his temper had shrunk down a lot due to Namjoo. They were going out, but nothing serious yet. Yoon Hee kept on telling him to just shoot the question, but V said that he wanted to take it slow. There was just something in that girl that could control his anger. Love could change you, alright.

"Hey V...Isn't this your friend, Jungkook?" Namjoo suddenly spoke up, disturbing V from mesmerizing her lovely facial features. She was not the prettiest girl in school, but to V, it was enough to catch his attention. Namjoo showed her phone screen to V to which he grabbed it to get a better look. His eyes bulged, shocked by the caption of the photo;

Who'd knew he even steals nowadays? Heol~ Unbelievable.... 

"Where did you get this? Why does the caption says that?" V kept bombarding questions to the poor Namjoo who was like the last person to ever get invovled in trivial things like this. "It's all over the school page. Says here that Jungkook stole Sohee's bracelet," she explained calmly but V wasn't able to stay still in a situation like that. He glanced around only to see the rest of the class playing with their phones, mumbling and whispering inaudible things while glaring at him and Jimin. V didn't need to have superpowers to figure out who is the latest person they were going to be gossiping about this week.

He stood up immediately, fist clenched and eyes glaring. This got the attention of not just Jimin and Yoon Hee, but the whole class who were busy exchanging comments on Jungkook's sudden thief occurence earlier. V made his way to his two friends with Namjoo's phone in hand and showed them the real situation that was happening right then.

"So this whole time...people are talking about Jungkook stealing?" Jimin questioned the obvious which V could only sigh to. "This must be their work. God, I can't believe they're playing dirty like this," Yoon Hee was half-worried, half-infuriated by the situation. "This cannot be it. I have to go and find Sohee," she was the one to stand up this time and strided away from Jimin and V.

"I think we should go. Just in case," Jimin said the reasonable suggestion and V perfectly understood what he meant. The look on Yoon Hee's face was enough to cause a ruckus in this school and they knew she would not hesitate to do it. Especially when it invovled the ex-best friends who betrayed her right under her nose.

"Yah! Ahn Sohee! You!" Yoon Hee pointed her finger as she marched angrily towards the group of people crowding the school's office's entrance. Sohee was one of them of course, she was waiting outside whilst the interragation being carried out towards Jungkook. She scoffed, as if she had been expecting Yoon Hee to come and pull her hair out. "I don't know how you do it, but you are one sneaky ! Pfft, what? Stealing your bracelet? Yeah, as if he's that desperate for your bracelet that's probably almost worn out by now. And you still wear it? The one I bought and gave it to you because it doesn't fit my wrist size?" Yoon Hee lashed out everything. That was the after effect of knowing Jungkook's condition. She was unexceptionally more emotional that she hoped for, more furious that she thought. It was as if Sohee was doing this to her.

"You think people would believe him or me? Let's see...I'm the Student Body President, the most righteous and innocent person who probably is just a victim of this incident. So I'd say me," she smirked, which ticked Yoon Hee off. She lunged forward, ready to fight back but thank goodness V and Jimin came in time and held her back. "Let me go! Let me go!" she hollered.

"Yoon Hee, calm down!" Jimin begged her while trying his best to control her rage. "There's nothing you could do that can change this devil," he glared at Sohee who was guarded by L and Hoya by her sides. Bora was there too, but she didn't dare to meet eyes with V and the rest. Her head was hung low and her lips was sealed shut. It was not like her at all to behave like that. But everyone was too preoccupied with the current almost happening catfight that they didn't notice.

"Actually...there is," Sohee piped up, sparking curiosity from Yoon Hee, Jimin and V. "But I'm going to just have speak to you alone." She signalled for Yoon Hee to follow her to which V and Jimin tried to prevent her from going. "It might be a trap," he warned. "I can take care of myself," Yoon Hee assured them before following Sohee into the ladies' bathroom. Sohee made sure that no one was there first before she proposed something that would make sure this whole game of climbing the social ladder end.

"What is it that you want me to do?" Yoon Hee asked.

"I'm going to just let this slide and not report him to the police. He'll probably get suspended but it's better than jail right?"

"Straight to the point," Yoon Hee growled while crossing her arms.

"But if that's going to happen, then you have to follow exactly what I'm about to say," Sohee answered confidently, victory was evident just a few metres away from her now. Park Yoon Hee was going to leave her and her queen bee reign for good. All Sohee had to do was just to use her best card.