The Cook and The Hero

The Social Ladder

 

 

The water from the shower was pouring like natural rain. His eyelids kept getting heavier as the water kept on dripping onto them. Jungkook literally froze, he just stood there not bothering to clean up that much. His mind had trailed off to where he almost kissed Yoon Hee earlier. Those luscious lips were practically screaming at him to be kissed. Yoon Hee's perfection shone, contrary to what Jungkook thought before; her face was as plastic as her personality. But that was the past. He swore that she suddenly emerge as this drop dead gorgeous angel earlier. She looked really, really beautiful.

He walked out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his body. As if on cue, the door swung open to reveal Yoon Hee who had just got back. She immediately covered her view with her left hand and turned to the other side. It was not like that was the first time Jungkook decided to show up half-, but for some very peculiar reason, she felt embarassed. Her cheeks were tinted with pink as she screamed, "Aish! Put on some clothes already!"

Seeing her reaction amused him. He smirked and quipped, "Why? Girls at our school would line up to watch these babies," as he pointed to the perfectly carved abs. "Just wear a shirt already!" she exasperated. 

Even though he was amused by the unexpected reaction from her, he still grabbed a cotton blue t-shirt stuffed in one of the drawers of his closet. "Done?" she carefully asked, still not letting her hand down. "Eo," he shortly replied. She slowly removed her hand that had stuck to the corner of her eye earlier. She straightened out the hem of her uniform skirt awkwardly before Jungkook started a conversation. 

"About earlier..." before he could finish, she interrupted, "Stop! Let's not talk about that anymore, okay. Uh...it's just going to be awkward if we do so let's not."

"But..." Jungkook still tried to continue. His words were cut off once again when Yoon Hee covered her ears and started blabbing out random words, hoping that whatever Jungkook was going to say would be inaudible to her. She started to walk away to their double-decker bed, facing her back to him. Jungkook chuckled, thinking this was getting more fun that he thought. He strided to her and removed her hands from the back, a smile was painted on his face the whole time. Jungkook lowers his head to her ear and he whispered,"I was going to say how did it go with V hyung earlier. Did the lesson ended well?"

Stunned by his subtle words, Yoon Hee only managed to nod. She was brought back to reality when his laughter filled the room and broke the heated tension between them. "I'm going to take a shower," she said abruptly before stomping her way to the towel rack.

"Oh, mom's going to be at the bakery again tonight. So, hurry up and let's cook," he blurted. "But I don't know how to cook," she replied in a calmer tone. 

"I do."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Just get down after you're done, okay?"

 

The wonderful aroma of Korean food cooking wafted all around the kitchen that night. Kimchi stew was still boiling, and although the smell was making her famished by the minute, Yoon Hee had to hold it in. According to Chef Jungkook, the longer it boiled, the more delectable the taste. Jungkook poured a bowl of eggs that he had beaten earlier lavishly onto the burning hot pan. He then sprinkled a handful of chopped scallions to complete the process of making pajeon. He fluttered to the counter and asked her to cut up the remaining vegetables.

"But...I don't know how to cut them," she bit her lips, feeling slightly embarassed by the fact. Jungkook gaped at her for a few seconds before saying, "Seriously? You have got to be kidding me." "What? I used to have ahjumma cooked everything for me," she tried to defend herself. He sighed heavily. "Well, from now on, there's no ahjumma. So let's start," he grabbed a medium-sized knife and started chopping them like a pro. His level of skill and speed in doing that could even match a Masterchef's.

"Wow!" she clapped her hands out of amazement. He smirked, feeling proud of himself. "Now, your turn," he handed her the knife and carefully guided her for the next steps.

After hours of chopping and stirring and tasting were done, dinner was finally served. It had been quite some time since Jungkook cooked such a hearty meal like this. Probably because he was always alone most of the time when his mom worked overnight. But even then, his skills were not rusty and still put in good use. He was slightly proud and flattered from all the compliments that Yoon Hee had been throwing to him since they started prepping even. He opened the lid of the ceramic pot and immediately steams puffed out from the opening, creating an atmosphere filled with the smell of kimchi. 

Without further ado, both of them devoured the meal with their chopsticks tightly clutched between their fingers. Only approving nods and satisfying responses could be heard for the first few minutes. Such a delectable meal from Chef Jungkook. Bet Yoon Hee did not see that coming.

"Are you still not over that douchebag?" Jungkook randomly start up a conversation.

Engrossed in eating the food, Yoon Hee remained silent. Jungkook looked up only to see the girl blatantly ignoring his question. He pouted at her actions and started kicking her leg to get her attention. "Yah! I asked you a question," he finally exploded. She sighed heavily, feeling annoyed that someone was disturbing her dinner by mentioning L.

"I don't know. I guess this whole battle got me so fired up, all I want to do is just spit fire to his face," she finally replied.

"How did you guys even met anyways?"

"He's my dad's friend's son. You know, the traitor. Pfft, that whole family are traitors. Like father, like son," she couldn't help but to remember that L's family was the one who put her family and her in this situation.

"Well, it's better for you to find out now, right? A guy like that doesn't deserve a girl like you," he blurted. But the minute he realized what he just said, he mentally scolded himself. He was becoming too nice by the moment and his gangster-like image was not used to it. He was expecting her to for being just a bit cheesy or anything.

Instead, she sweetly smiled and muttered, "Thanks."

 

"And cut!" Ms Ma, the drama teacher-in-charge shouted the final cut for the day. "Great job, everybody! Tiffany, would you take it from here darling?" she uttered before sashaying out of the school theatre. "Alright guys, gather around!" she ordered. As usual, being the president of the drama club, she was used into handling pretty much everything. The other actors all darted towards the front of the stage where a few were standing, some were sitting on the stage and a couple sat on the floor.

"So autumn's already starting and I know it's only been a few practices but we really need to push it this year. Namjoo, I need you to work more on your expressions, okay? Jonghyun, please memorize your script. Really, I'm begging you," she said the last part with a sarcastic tone. The same-aged friend only responded with a sly grin and a salute. "And Sungyeol, how do I say this? Be more evil?" she was always straightforward when it came to acting criticism. He simply nodded, obviously exhausted from all the practice that day. His tiredness became the least of his problem when Tiffany praised Jin instead.

"So next practice, tomorrow, after school, be punctual! Dismiss," the whole group flocked away, their chatterings echoed throughout the theatre. 

"Fany, I need to talk to you," Sungyeol approached her after everyone left. They were on bad terms ever since this play thing started but both sides refused to falter. Tiffany had had enough with his choding acts and Sungyeol was never going to be pleased to be in a play with someone from his rival group. "If it's about Jin, just save it. I'm tired and I don't want to deal with you again," she stuffed the rest of her things into her Carlo Rino sling bag before storming off.

Sungyeol hastened, immediately following her. Outside the theatre, he managed to grab her arm but probably put too much force in it since she flinched at him. "Just listen," he sternly said. "What?" she hissed.

"Are you like by any chance...have a crush on that gangster?" he warily asked. She merely glared at him, feeling unbelievable that her 3-year boyfriend would be so foolish. How childish could he get? Was that the only reason he could think of? How far would he go? Those questions kept on circling around in Tiffany's head. "Seriously? Lee Sungyeol?" she scoffed.

"Look, did I do anything to piss you off? Just tell me if I did. You know I'm bad at hints. Don't just punish me by giving more attention to that !" he was starting to look more desperate by the second. Tiffany rolled her eyes, she didn't expect him to be this obsessive. "First, you should know better than anyone else that I am very professional when it comes to acting. Second, face it, Jin's a better actor than you are. Third, let me go, now!" she tried to let herself loose but his grip was getting stronger.

"No! Just please! I couldn't stand being embarassed by Jin. Even Infinite hyungs start to tease me and compare me and all. I would anything to get that role, Fany," he kept on rambling and pleading her. By then, Lee Sungyeol was on the verge of desperation. "Just let me go!" she hollered. Her other hand tried removing his grip but he only managed to grab her other hand as well, putting her in an uncomfortable position.

"Yah! What the hell are you doing?!" a voice resounded down that hallway which startled the two. The guy marched down the hallway, his stomping were the only thing audible at that time. "Let her go."

"It's none of your business. Go away, will you?" Sungyeol glared at Jin, his force on her unknowingly was becoming too strong. "It's okay. I can handle this," she lied. The last thing she wanted was to invovle another innocent stranger in her relationship fights. "Okay my ! Just let her go, man," he insisted. The only answer Jin got was Tiffany groaning in pain even more. "My last warning, dude. Let. Her. Go."

And the next thing Sungyeol knew; he flew across the floor and landed with lips that was bleeding. Tiffany gasped, she didn't think that punching him was necessary. After all, why would Jin fought to save someone like her? "Yah! Hwang Tiffany! If you leave, we are over!" he managed to scream before Jin dragged the poor girl away. Sungyeol grimaced, a fist was balled up in his hands as he gritted his teeth. 

"Thanks," she mumbled after they arrived near the front school gate. Jin didn't bother much about it, he was just simply being reasonable. To him, using your strength to a girl made you no less than a coward. "Your driver's waiting for you out there, right?" he inquired as he put on his helmet. Tiffany was only able to nod slowly. "Then, see you tomorrow," he bid his goodbye before zooming out of the scene.

Tiffany's eyes trailed to where he went until he was no longer seen in her view. She breathed out a relief, thinking that maybe she made the right move to accept him as the lead.