Healing Camp Part III

The Social Ladder

 

 

Her eyelids felt heavy and her head was throbbing badly. It was as if she was experiencing a killer headache. She opened her eyes slowly, only to be revealed with an unfamiliar surrounding. It seemed dingy and dilapidated, as if it was abandoned for a hundred years. Dust was in the still air and she scrunched her nose when the place gave off a stench, unpleasant smell. Boxes were stacked up on the right side of the room and a door to the room she was in was ajar. 

Yoon Hee was still busy registering where she was or what happened earlier when her eyes caught sight of L. He was just right next to her, passed out while being tied to a metal, rusty chair. She then realized she was pretty much in the same state and she fumbled with the tangles to try and let loose. But of course it came to no avail. Her effort was hopeless.

The next thing that crossed her mind was to reach out to him. She tried extending her leg as far as it could go to try and kick L, or at least his leg, hoping he would wake up. 

"Yah! Yah!" she whispered, but audible enough for him to hear her. The guy was just a few metres away, of course he would. "L! Wake up! Yah! Kim Myungsoo!"

As if calling his real name had some sort of waking effect on him, L's eyelids started to open, he flinched slightly at the sudden light from the bulb hanging above them. Realization washed over him and soon the panic started to take place. "Where am I? Why are you here? Where is this place?" It took him 3 seconds to recall past events of what had happened. And when he did, he sighed regretfully.

"I know I was going to regret this. Ugh, this is all your fault!"

"Me? How is it my fault? I didn't beg you to follow me, you idiot!" Yoon Hee glared, frustrated at his words.

"Well, I couldn't just let you walk into some random place alone," he mumbled almost faintly.

"Why do you care?"

"Oh trust me, I don't."

Their little argument was the least of their problem when a somewhat middle-aged guy walked in through the ajar door, every step he took was intimidating enough to scare even the hot headed L. "Aish, first you trespass and now you're making so much noise! Useless kids," he spit on the ground before kicking a nearby chair. Honestly, there was no real reason for him to do so, maybe he thought it would make them scared. 

He strided towards Yoon Hee, a finger tracing down her cheeks and then collarbones. "Especially you. A pretty face like this...it'd be a shame if you're dead, right?" Yoon Hee only managed to flinch at his touch, disgusted by the way he treated her. It somehow managed to cover up the fact that she was scared of his threatening words. L glanced at her, and if he wasn't tied like he was then, that guy's face would be landed by a flying punch from yours truly. It fueled him up to not being able to do anything.

A certain ringtone blared throughout the room and it turned out it was the guy's phone. He tried to find some privacy by walking out of the room but his words were more audible than expected. "No, sir. Don't worry. We got them."

"I-uh, no really, we have everything under control. No boss, no, of course not. I don't think so. I understand."

And just like that, his phone call was over. His voice was totally different from his taunting one earlier. It was more towards scared, which was weird for both Yoon Hee and L. Maybe he got scolded from his boss, they thought. Maybe it was because they trespassed 'their area.' But Yoon Hee was sure they were hiding something there. Something that they didn't want anyone to find out, especially not by some useless kids.

 

Jungkook ran his hand through his hair out of frustration for the umpteenth time. Most students were already up in their rooms since night was busking in. The teachers gave them a free schedule instead of the heartfelt talk session between the counsellors and the students. It was like the only thing that was 'healing' compared to the other activities. The others were more fun-related rather than relaxing.

"Aish, are we all just going to sit around like this and do nothing?" Jungkook finally bursted, he shot straight up from his seat. His other hyungs were at the lobby lounge as well while their teachers and a few of the hotel staffs went searching for Yoon Hee and L.

"Jungkook-ah, calm down. They're searching," RapMon tried to reason. "Yeah, I'm sure she's fine," Jimin stood up next to him this time, patting him on his shoulders. "But isn't it strange that L's missing too?" V piped up. "I mean, out of all people, why would L be lost with Yoon Hee?"

"I just hope L's not the reason they're missing," Suga casually stated. "I mean it's not like he'll harm the poor girl, right?"

All eyes went darting towards him once those words came out of his mouth. "We don't need your pessimism, hyung," Jimin glared at the elder, making sure he understand to shut his mouth to avoid making Jungkook more conscious than he already was.

"But I feel like a useless boyfriend, hyung. Yoon Hee's out there in the wild and I'm here? In a hotel? All warmed up when she could be freezing or getting eaten by wild beasts out there?"

"Like he said, we need to be more positive here, okay?" Jin tried to calm him down this time. "Besides, even if we do search, there's little possibility to find her. Not with only the seven of us and certainly not in the dark out there."

"Maybe we could help," a familiar voice resonated in the background along with the christmas song that was being played at the hotel's speaker. BTS turned their heads almost at the same time, seeing them there was the least expected thing to happen.

Sunggyu made his way to the front, nearing BTS to make sure he got his point out. "L's missing. And so is Yoon Hee. Jungkook's right, we can't just sit around and wait like this. We have to do something." 

"Yeah, even if we have to, why would we have anything to do with you?" V hissed. His eye was still twitching out of anger due to the 'Infinite effect.' He didn't know why but everytime he saw them, it was like he would explode anytime soon.

"Yah, show some respect!" Woohyun butted in. V scoffed and spatted back, "s like you don't deserve respect." That was the only thing needed to tick off Woohyun's bomb. He tried to lunge forward but was held back by Hoya and Dongwoo. V kept on taunting, which was not making the situation any better. "Look, we came in peace. Yoon Hee and L are our main priorities now. So I say we work together and put aside our differences this time. So are you in or not?" Sunggyu continued proposing, hoping that his appeal for cooperation would be accepted. 

"Hyung, I don't even know why you want to work with these losers," Sungjong managed to spite, but Sunggyu only glared at him, telling him to shut up. BTS stayed silent, they didn't know what to do. They did want to find Yoon Hee, and they knew they needed help. But pride was winning and they couldn't bear to work with their mortal enemies since day 1 of high school.

"Deal," RapMon stepped out front as the leader, hand extended for a handshake. Sunggyu lifted his head up and he gladly accepted it. He smiled, thankful that his plan to persuade them worked. If it didn't, then all of him persuading his own Infinite members would just be a useless hassle earlier.

"But hyung!" V protested. "No buts. I'm the leader here. If you don't agree then you are welcomed to leave BTS," RapMon sternly stated without even looking at the latter. Hearing his words, V knew his hyung was dead serious. RapMon had always been more of an easygoing type, but then, his expression clearly meant he wasn't in a mood to joke or listen to his whines. The other members of BTS kept silent and only agreed after they heard the leader's threat.

"Well then, let's get going," Sunggyu motioned for them to walk out of the lobby lounge to begin their search mission.

 

With only two torchlights they borrowed from the hotel staff and also the torchlight app on their phones, they set their journey forward into the thick forests and ever darkening night. The night was not a full moon night, only a crescent, supplying the least light possible. They were seperated into two groups, eight on each, to make the search mission easier.

Sunggyu, leading the first group at the very front headed west with Woohyun by his side, as a loyal sidekick. It had been only 15 minutes, but they felt like they had been trudging through the forest according to the provided rails for hours. Not to mention the constant yelling they had to do to attract the missing people's attention.

"L! L!"

"Yoon Hee! Can you hear me? Yoon Hee, where are you?"

"Yah, Myungsoo! Where are you?"

"Park Yoon Hee!"

In the group that was heading south, RapMon was at the most front, leading all the others behind him. He had volunteered to take two girls in his team, even if that meant they were the girls who had made Yoon Hee's life change into something unexpected. Of course, some Infinite guys were sent to his group, because as Sunggyu said, it was better to split so that it would be balanced. They couldn't just split into Infinite and 3D's, then BTS. The number would be uneven and it won't be fair. This shocked RapMon since Sunggyu was actually taking into consideration about it being fair or not.

"Ah, I'm feeling tired," Tiffany whined, her legs gave in as her shoulders slumped downwards. It had been hours since they began their search which was quite impressive. Albeit the many howlings and peculiar sounds that no one dared to ask what, they kept continuing their journey. Only a few breaks along the way, but even those took only three minutes each.

Tiffany was sitting on the many tree roots which were hard and sturdy enough to support her. It hadn't been long since the last break and she felt herself giving in again. She did not want to give up this search but her body stamina was saying the opposite.

"Oh boohoo you brat. Get your up before everyone leaves you here," Sungyeol who happened to be walking behind her stopped in his tracks just to spite her. "What? You want to tell Jin 'oppa' about it?"

"No one ask for your feedback, you jerk," she glared at the latter before J-Hope tried to be the peacemaker. "Ya ya! We're in the middle of the woods and you're fighting? You guys better quit it or we'll leave you two alone here."

Sungyeol scoffed, not because he was offended by what J-Hope said, but because the idea of getting left with Tiffany just shuddered his thoughts. "No thank you," he said while quickly trying to catch up with the front of the group. Tiffany mumbled something incoherent while making disgusted faces, unpleased with the idea as well. Thank goodness Sungyeol didn't see it or else the fight would never come to an end.

Woohyun was lagging behind now. He used to be right at front with Sunggyu but he was too worn out after walking for hours. One glance at his watch and he realized that midnight had passed. He was practically at the most end of the group, with Sunggyu still in front, holding it in with all his might. Jin was right behind him followed by Bora. It was at times like this Bora proved to be more athletic than half the guys of this group.

Staying behind had its perks. You might see something others didn't manage to. You might discover things others missed to look at. And it was exactly what happened to Woohyun.

A man in full black suit was litting up a cigarette, one that he had stuck between his upper and lower teeth. Albeit the drop in temperatures, he managed to get the lighter burning, just enough to lit it up for him to smoke. He inhaled the toxicity and huffed it all out in one big smoke. As if smoking was healing his stress, he closed his eyes to enjoy the 'tranquility.'

"Ya," he whispered, patting the back of the person right in front of him. Jimin turned around, stopped in his tracks and trailed to where Woohyun's finger was pointing to. It took him a few seconds to register that a man in full suit in the middle of the woods was not the most normal, logical thing there was.

Jimin told Suga who passed the information along the line of Jungkook, Bora and Jin, all the way to Sunggyu. The group finally made its halt as they observed the peculiar sight. They switched off whatever light source they brought and only used the minimal moonlight to seee him. Maybe the night being dark was a blessing. The man wasn't able to see them amidst the darkness and the direction at where they were at.

Soon after, the man received somewhat a call from a walkie-talkie. He crushed the cigarette with his foot on the soil ground, extinguishing the flame in it. Carefully pulling the handle to the secret door was no use since it obviously creaked at its hinges afterwards. He cringed again, somehow he felt like the sound was going to blow their whole cover. 

Woohyun turned to look at Jimin who had the same expression as his. They were awed by the secret passageway available out in the middle of the forest. At the time, everyone had the same thought; were L and Yoon Hee in there?

 

"I can't do this anymore. There's got to be some way out," Yoon Hee exhaled audibly, her signs of getting frustrated by the second was clearly visible. 

"Yeah, mind telling me once you actually manage to get out of that," he was referring to the knot tying them down. It was impossible to just untangle it, as if some sort of professional was hired just to tie them.

She tried to use her sense of survival, maybe just all the kidnap movies she used to watch to get some sort of inspiration coming so that she could use something out of the room to free her way out. She had it already planned out, once she succeed, she would stealthily find her way around just so she could get back up. They were in a basement room, so it wasn't just about escaping through windows. There was only one way out; back to the way they came in.

In her mind, things were much easier and seemed plausible. But now, even breaking through these ropes was a hell of a job.

"So, boss had decided what to do with you useless punks," the older man earlier entered the room again breaking Yoon Hee from her trance of thoughts. He had a gun in his hands which they weren't sure whether he was going to use it. L widened his eyes the moment he filled up the slots with bullets one by one, and once the round was chambered, he prepared to take aim. "Who should we kill first? You? or you?"

"Wh-what do you want? Money? I can give you money," L blurted. He just laughed at the latter's stuttering, thinking how ridiculous people became once they were about to die. "We didn't kidnap you, so why would we want money? Stupid kids. Why? Are you some chaebol, kid?"

"Yes," L answered truthfully which earnt a glare from Yoon Hee. "My dad is Kim Yoochang, CEO of YC Holdings. You know who he is right?"

"Yeah, right, and I'm Bill Gates's son," he remarked, scoffing.

"No it's true. I can call him if you want me to," he tried to prove.

The latter's eyes squinted, as if trying to examine his highly handsome features would be an identification to his child he was. "What's your name?"

"Kim Myungsoo," L replied, he was sure the man with the gun would spare him now.

Instead of a mock or a definite answer, the guy just walked out of the room and ordered something to one of his underlings. He whispering made it impossible for Yoon Hee and L to eavesdrop but the other guy gave it off immediately. "What?! Does boss know that boy is his..." was the only thing they managed to get. The older one covered the other one's mouth with his hands, shushing him in the process.

"Hyungnim, we have intruders!" another one allegedly reported. The mean, elder one hissed and darted towards the other way. Other footsteps were heard and Yoon Hee turned to face L. "I hope it's the cops." 

L only managed to shut his eyes and nodded, he couldn't agree more.


Bora made her way to the hallway leading to many rooms. Basement was ice cold, her fingers started to feel like they were frozen. Tiffany trailed behind her, tugging her shirt out of scare along the way. They were following Sohee's lead, hoping that those two would just appear to make the job easier for them. These three were assigned to go and rescue Yoon Hee and L while the guys created a distraction and threw a few flying punches and high kicks. Seemed like all those fighting BTS and Infinite got themselves into before was being of much help now.

"Yoon Hee! L!" Sohee ran towards them once she stepped into the room located at the end of the hallway. Tiffany and Bora did the same and helped to release them from the ties. "Y-you three? How could you guys get here?" Yoon Hee was bewildered. Honestly, they were the last people she could think of that would be her lifesavers.

"You did call the cops, right? You didn't just barge in stupidly with just you three, right?" L asked.

"Gee and here I was expecting a thank you," Bora spatted back, rolling her eyes in the process.

"Relax, BTS and Infinite are outside. The cops would be here any moment too," Tiffany reassured as L finally finished untangling himself. After Woohyun's little finding, Sunggyu had directed him and Jimin to head towards south to meet RapMon's group. RapMon then instructed Jin and V to go back to the hotel to get more help aka call the police. The two obliged and the rest followed Woohyun's direction to meet up with Sunggyu's group who was ready to ambush the secret passageway. It was crazy to just barge in when they weren't sure if L and Yoon Hee were in there. 

But at that time, they were desperate in finding those two. Any possible indication to where they were was highly crucial.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Not so fast. Where do you think you're going?" the scary ahjusshi came in with the same gun, already taking aim closely at Tiffany who happened to be the closest to the door. She trembled under the barrel of his gun, hands already up in the air as if waving the white flag.

"So cute. Your friends trying to save you and all. But here's the thing, once you're in here, there's no way you would make it out alive," his eyes pierced right through hers as the others panicked of what to do.

From his lateral view, he could sense that Bora was about to do something and so he threatened, "You four stay still. One move and your friend's head here will blow up. Got it?"

At the time Jungkook suddenly make an appearance. Fortunately, beknownst to the man's knowledge. Jin arrived soon, maybe both of them were sent to check out on the rescue team. Thank goodness if that was the case because they were desperate of help right then.

Jungkook froze up but Jin suggested that they attacked him blindly. There was no other option. Jin couldn't stand still when a gun is on Tiffany's forehead. He had to do something. With the signal sent to Jungkook, they both pounced onto him. Jin tried to fight it off with him while Jungkook tried to let his hand let go of the gun.

Amidst the fighting scene, the unwanted happened. Something that they all feared the most ever since they saw the loaded gun. 

Jungkook darted his eyes towards them immediately. 

It had hit her.

And she fell to the ground with a thud.

 

Author's note 
Okay, so I posted until now. Final chapter is in progress, please wait. I'm trying real hard to finish this story so wait for it yeah~