A Good Start

The Social Ladder

 

 

The first class for 1-3 had not started yet. Jungkook was listening to some music, headphones on, as he laid back on his chair with his arms crossed. He was looking out the window, the weather was welcoming autumn slowly. It was a bright and sunny day outside. Pretty much the same as what Jungkook was feeling. He felt happy. A little giddy. It could be because of all the attention they received earlier.

But Jungkook knew better. It was because of another reason. One much more important.

His mind was distracted when a hand suddenly appeared in front of him. He looked up to see a girl waving to him. It was one of his classmates, he was sure of. "What does she want?" he thought. Jungkook took off his headphones and motioned for her to talk.

"Hi! I'm Soojin. I was just wondering if you want to go to the cafe for break later?" she bit her lip in anxiety. From the way she talked, it was too fast as if she had perfectly memorized a script in her head before.

"Umm..." Jungkook was thinking about what Yoon Hee had taught him two days ago. He could still remember clearly what she told him, "Remember, be nice to everyone. Make friends with other people and get people to like you. Not like me, people were just faking it, but really like you. And don't forget, smile!"

He looked up to this supposedly Soojin girl and replied, "Sure." Jungkook flashed the biggest smile he could muster, enough to the level that it seemed like an eye-smile. The girl smiled winsomely in return, her heart was ecstatically dancing on the inside since she didn't expect that the maknae of the gangster group BTS would agree and smile to her like that. She didn't even know Jungkook could smile.

Soojin her heels and went back to sit at her place which was far more front. Her friends were there, squealing and giggling as she went there. Soojin was blushing, and the fact made Jungkook felt somewhat...good? The old him would just ignore anyone who tried to talk to him, but this newly reformed side of him was way better. Sure it would be nice to treat her like a jerk considering that nobody ever bothered to talk to him berfore. But it was better to just to turn on a new leaf and start a better life. Jungkook mentally noted that he might had to thank Yoon Hee for this.

Despite all the smiles and laughters, there was one person who showed an opposite reaction. He was not happy. He was certainly irritated and the sudden attention that Jungkook got made him itched. This wasn't right. This was not how it was supposed to be. He was mentally cursing BTS and living up to his anger until his deskmate called him.

"Sungjong! What are you looking at so intently?" the deskmate trailed his eyes but Sungjong managed to shook him off. With a simple, "Nothing," Sungjong turned back to the front, putting on his ever-so-sweet lemon candy smile as a facade while his hand was balled up in a fist underneath the table.

 

The atmosphere for Class 4-1 was starting to change too. They obviously still were talking about 'what in the world had happened to BTS' but whenever RapMon caught eyes with one of his classmates glancing at him, he would just simply smile. The other person would smile back in return, a bit terrified, but less scared than before. 

The classmate had tousled jet black hair and RapMon recalled his name as Yunho. He turned to his circle of friends, made them huddled in a bit and said, "You see? He actually has eyes. On top of that, he doesn't look so monster-like without his sunglasses."

The girl with the frizzy hair replied, "I know. He can even smile! Oh and he has a freaking eye smile!"

Her other friend responded, "He looks less scary like that. I mean I would've asked him a few questions before because you know, he is kind of a genius."

Yunho said, "True that. He was one of the top 10 in our school remember? I wonder what Sohee did to try and prevent him from entering the Student Body."

"All I know is that this semester is going to be really interesting. BTS vs Infinite. I think BTS has a chance of winning," the frizzy-haired one said.

"No, no. Infinite is unbeatable. I'm saying Infinite's got this," the other one opposed.

Sunggyu stopped writing his notes. He had been hearing EVERYONE talking about BTS today. This would be absolutely abnormal compared to how ignorant people were to them before. He thought about Yoon Hee's words the other day.

"But once I do, don't regret what you guys did to me. Oh, and Sunggyu oppa, thank you for siding with them as well. I never thought you could do this to me but since you did, thank you. Because now, I can hate you all I want." 

He sighed. Sometimes he wondered what had he got himself into. Was this really what he wanted? Yoon Hee used to be a dongsaeng he cared for a lot. Having to treat her like this sometimes disturbed his conscience. But then again, maybe he was too late. Too late to back out from all of this.

Sunggyu's thoughts crawled back in when Woohyun shook his body. He looked up only to see their Mathematics teacher was already in. Everyone was looking at him, waiting for him to give his greetings as the monitor in charge. He stood up and bluntly said, "Attention! Good morning sir!" The lesson continued as usual with the students opening their books. 

Half an hour after the lesson, J-Hope was starting to feel drowsy again. It was obviously not his first time. Everyone in his class knew he was the kind to get kicked out of class for sleeping. That day, J-Hope tried hard to keep awake. His head was slowly bobbing to the right, his eyelids were slowly closing but thankfully his head hit against the wall which was like a wake-up call for him. He looked around to see if anyone noticed but they hadn't. Rap Mon was busy taking notes and Suga was just staring at the teacher.

J-Hope shook his head and gave himself slow slaps on both cheeks to not feel sleepy. The effort didn't last long since the Mathematics teacher suddenly called out his name. Clueless, he still stood up and said, "Ne?"

"I said what is the answer for question no 21?" the teacher repeated his question.

"Uhhh...." J-Hope was unsure what to respond but suddenly RapMon nudged him and pointed the answer he had written on his notebook. RapMon remembered what Yoon Hee told about helping each other out and making a better impression on the teachers.

"39," J-Hope shouted the answer confidently. The teacher eyed him suspiciously before allowing him to sit down. 

Suga glanced to the back and slowly said, "Phew, that was close." J-Hope gave a quick reply, "I know right," before trying to not fall asleep again.

 

"I am serious! That was the first time I saw V being all polite!" Jimin exclaimed excitedly while munching on his kimbap. V just glared at him and then he mumbled something barely audible as if he was scolding himself for acting that way.

"So, what did you say her name was?" Jin asked.

"Namjoo. She is pretty cute and sweet. I totally approve her," Yoon Hee commented.

"Yah! Who are you to approve? I don't need your approval to date anyone!" V spatted but just then he realized he just made the situation a lot worse than it already was. "I guess I won't be needing to seat next to you in class anymore, V," Jimin teased. "Are you kidding? Obviously V would choose a cute girl than you any day," J-Hope commented. The whole group bursted into laughter while V's face couldn't help but to turn red in embarassment.

"But I guess we do have to thank Yoon Hee for everything. Look at today! Our lives are slowly getting better," RapMon spoke up. "It's nothing oppa. If getting a girlfriend for V would make his anger more manageable, then I think I'm doing it for everyone's sake," Yoon Hee replied. The gang laughed at her comment but suddenly Suga spoke up, "Hey where's the maknae? I haven't seen him since break started."

"Oh yeah, I wonder what changed for him," Jimin tapped a finger on his chin. Yoon Hee too noticed his absence and she wondered if his classmates were treating him better or the teachers are going a little bit easier on him now. "Oh there he is!" J-Hope pointed to where Jungkook was walking with a girl. "Wait, who's the girl?" Suga asked. "Don't tell me the maknae too..." Jin thought that maybe the same case happened to Jungkook.

"Hyung!" Jungkook greeted them happily and sat beside V while Soojin sat next to him. She was facing Yoon Hee and unknowingly, Yoon Hee was eyeing her in a weird way. Like in a 'who the hell are you and what are you doing with Jungkook' kind of way. Jin faked a cough and managed to mumble, "Who's that?"

Jungkook finally realized what they meant and introduced the girl, "Ah, this is Soojin, my classmate. Soojin, you know, my hyungs. Suga hyung, Jin hyung, RapMon hyung, Jimin hyung, J-Hope hyung and V hyung. Oh and obviously you would know Yoon Hee."

"Ah, annyeonghaseyo," she bowed slightly and flashed the sweetest smile BTS had ever seen. "Ohhh maknae, looks like V won't be the only one getting a girlfriend this semester," Jimin cooed. As a response, V kicked his shin underneath the table. Jimin groaned in pain and V just smirked at this. Soojin unexpectedly chuckled at the two to which Jungkook and Yoon Hee noticed. For some reason, Yoon Hee felt that her plan might work but she might also regret the consequences to her actions.

 

"Umm...let's see. No, no, no, oh! This one!" Yoon Hee pointed to the poster stapled onto the notice board amongst the other posters. That poster stood out than the rest due to its extra large size and shocking pink colour. Jin shifted his gaze to the notice board. He did not like it.

"Are you serious? Drama Club? Really now?" he stated with a blur expression on his face.

"It has an audition today and I bet this club is going to be the first to be active this semester," she said.

"Have you forgotten? This club is run by Tiffany! Hwang Tiffany! Not to mention that skyscraper who's stuck to her like a glue," Jin retorted.

"Don't worry about them, oppa. And you're calling Sungyeol skyscraper? Then what are you, oppa?"

"You're siding with him now?" he gaped.

"That's not the point. Look, you're good-looking and good-looking people often succeed as actors. The ladies will love you."

"What's the point of being an actor when you can't act, huh?"

"Just try the audition, oppa. Plus, you don't suit other clubs that require thinking skills. The soccer club don't start unti next year," Yoon Hee persuaded. Jin wanted to refused and he could just babble on 1001 reasons why he hated that club. But Yoon Hee had a point. This was to help him in co-curricular activities, so that he could actually graduate this year. His dad would kill him again if he messed this semester up.

"Okay, just one audition. But I can guarantee that and her skyscraper boyfriend won't let me in the play," Jin finally agreed.

 

"Next, number 18, please," Tiffany announed through the microphone placed on the table on her right.

Backstage, Jin had been practicing a few lines with Yoon Hee. They script provided had a few lines of the supporting characters and a few lines of the main character. The contestant of the audition could choose any scene they liked but considering it was his first time, Jin had chosen a few lines from the supporting character.

Hearing his name got called was a bit terrifying for Jin. Who wouldn't have stage fright, right? 

"Yoon Hee, maybe I shouldn't do this, oh? Let's just cancel this. Let's go back," he started to panic. "No, no, oppa. You have to go. That's your number. Fighting!" Yoon Hee pumped her two fists and pushed Jin to the center of the stage. Tiffany and Sungyeol looked a bit taken aback seeing Jin on stage but they continued with the audition anyways.

Jin recited a few lines and he was better than expected. Tiffany asked him to read a few lines for the main character as well which earned a complaint from Sungyeol. Regardless, Jin did as told and although she didn't show it, Tiffany was amazed by his acting.

"Thank you. We'll put it on the notice board at the end of this week for those who make it," Tiffany informed before Jin bowed and left the stage.

"What's this?" Jin looked up. He was sitting on a bench a few metres outside the grand theatre, feeling relieved after the audition. "Iced coffee. A reward for my handsome and soon-to-be actor oppa," Yoon Hee opened the can and handed it to him. She opened a can of fizzy drink for herself and sat right next to him. 

Jin chuckled and took a sip of the iced coffee. "I'm not going to get in. There's no way they would let me in, okay?" he made a point. "If it's about Tiffany, I'll handle her, oppa. Don't worry. The main thing is you did your best today and I'm so proud of you," she grinned. "Ah, I heard maknae has a date today with that Soojin girl," he suddenly mentioned.

"I know," her answer short and simple.

"Well just so you know, if I was Jungkook, I would look at the girl who had been beside me all this time rather than searching for a new one."

"What's that supposed to mean?" she narrowed her eyes.

"Nothing. Just saying. You are prettier than her, you know," Jin said.

"Are you trying to get on my good side now?"

"Maybe. It's working isn't it? Buy me more iced coffee then, pretty," he winked playfully.

"Ah, c'mon. Seriously, oppa? Not working."

"Aye, it is. You're blushing!" Jin .

"No, I'm not!" she retorted.

That evening ended beautifully. Yoon Hee and Jin's relationship was getting better and so was BTS and the whole school's. It seemed like a good start. Perhaps they would even have a memorable semester this year. But who knows what lies ahead? With big goals come massive hardwork. With happy events come obstacles and challenges. What the end has in store for them is the real question here.

 

Author's note 
Another update! Hehe, thanks for the subscribe guys! Don't forget to comment as well, okay? Have a nice Christmas to everyone ! ^^ 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoQpt4lrTFG0OiitHZv_p