Winter Play

The Social Ladder

 

 

There was something in the Busan air that was refreshing and awakening. It wasn't arid and humid like the one in Seoul, polluted by soot and whatnot. It was clean and cool, the soft gushes of breeze caressed Jungkook's cheeks as he inhaled it. He had never felt so relaxed and peaceful before. An irony come to think of it, considering that he was suspended from school due to the 'theft' incident.

The sound of wheels being dragged on the hard concrete floor whirled Jungkook around, to see the cause of the noise. His lips curled upwards into a smile seeing the sight of her. She was busily dragging her large pink suitcase, the one which she stuffed everything in with the thought of never returning back to Seoul. It was heavy, and he could see she was struggling getting it down the small staircase. Even the sight of her creasing her eyebrows and frowning in frustration seemed cute in his eyes at the moment. Before he would have an indenial battle with none other than himself, but now, he just gladly indulged into the fact that he has feelings for this bratty devil. 

"Need a hand?" he offered after the much amusement he enjoyed earlier.

Yoon Hee let go of the suitcase immediately, huffing and puffing afterwards. She wiped the sweat glistening at the edge of her forehead as if she had done some awful labour work. "Thought you're going to let me die of tiredness first." 

He swiftly grabbed the suitcase's handle and successfully carried it all the way to the back of the cab's trunk, already wide open thanks to the driver. It was already there since 7.30 am, as the promised time, but it turned out Yoon Hee needed more time to make sure everything fits into that already gigantic suitcase of hers. She had to admit, she was impressed by his strength. Not even a complaint escaped his lips, in fact he broke into a satisfied smile of his own, to which she deemed adorable.

Yoon Hee shook her head. She only kissed him last night, but the love effects were taking place much faster than she thought. It wasn't like she never viewed Jungkook as cute, it was just that thinking that smile was meant for her could already make her blush.

And Park Yoon Hee do not just blush when a cute guy flashes a smile to her.

"Well, that's about it. You kids be careful. Don't get on the wrong bus," Mr. Park appeared beside Yoon Hee, patting her back in the process. "Jungkook-ah, you take good care of Yoon Hee, alright? She always like to take charge but isn't it better for you to take over now that you two are..." there was a glint of mischievousness in Mrs. Park's eyes but she was cut off by Yoon Hee. "Er--umma, appa, we'll get going now. Don't want to miss the bus!"

Jungkook bowed politely just in time before Yoon Hee dragged him out of the scene and into the awaiting cab. She lowered the window down to wave goodbye to which her parents did the same. Genuine smiles were formed on their faces. They were happy to know that their daughter was then happy. The whole L thing was a big blow to Yoon Hee's face, and knowing she was finally moving on washed her parents with a wave of relief.

"Are you two siblings?" that was the first question that popped inside the cab. Curiosity must had killed the cat when the cab driver ahjusshi peered through the rear view mirror, deeming for an answer. 

Yoon Hee and Jungkook exchanged weird looks with each other, bewildered at the sudden question. It must had been the scene with the two of them parting from Yoon Hee's parents, making it seem like a picture-perfect family from Busan who was sending off their only children to Seoul to make a better living for their parents. It was the classic country bumpkins travelling to the city to make it big. Jungkook smirked. He had a playful look on his face and Yoon Hee eyed him cautiously for it.

"Noona," he called out. Yoon Hee raised an eyebrow, wondering what was he thinking to be fooling that poor ahjusshi. They didn't even look alike in the slightest. "Ahjusshi's asking. You should answer it, noona," Jungkook drawled at the word noona, but before she had the chance to respond, the amiable ahjusshi intercepted first. "Ahhh, so you're his noona."

Yoon Hee threw Jungkook a judging look to all he did was shrugged. Just last night they were all dramatic and acting out the whole heartbreaking story of two lovers who had been apart miles away before having the chance to confess. Just last night did he took the courage to mumble out those words. Just last night she kissed him on the lips, happy by what he said before that.

And now they were siblings?

"Yes, she's my noona. But not exactly my real noona," Jungkook continued much to Yoon Hee's confusion. She couldn't tell where this was going. "She's my dearest noona, the one I'd also call jagi and aegi at times." Yoon Hee elbowed him out of instinct and he rubbed his right rib, pretending it really hurt him. "See? She hates it when we display public affections, so I just call noona in public," he continued talking and found the ahjusshi shocked but also fidgeting awkwardly by the whole situation. Yoon Hee glared at the younger, warning him to keep his mouth shut for the next 20 minutes.

"Please don't mind him, ahjusshi. He's just not feeling well today to be spurting such nonsense," Yoon Hee tried explaining although it was worthless.The ahjusshi wasn't going to dissolve in new information since it was obviously true they were dating. Plus, she didn't technically deny it. Jungkook felt satisfied since she kind of acknowledged it in a way. He leaned in closer to her and whispered, "Yeah, lovesick."

A short snort was heard from her before the ride resumed silently the rest of the way. She never thought Jungkook was the type to go all cheesy. Not that it mattered since she kind of liked it in a way.

 

The bus to Seoul took approximately 4 hours 12 minutes, with the occasional stops at rest centres for food and bathroom purposes. At one of the stops, Jungkook was acting up again. She didn't knew what was his problem, but apparently he decided to go all aegyo mode on her to get her buy all the things he 'needed.' Like the hot steaming sweet potatoes just a couple of feet away from the bus parking spot. Or the bibimpap which caused the bus to almost leave them stranded somewhere in Daejeon. Or the cotton candy which she still hadn't believe she complied to.

It was all the aegyo to blame to. He kept on whining and pouting and calling her noona, causing Yoon Hee to falter under his magical cute charms. At the end of the journey, he reasoned out that he was to prove he was still the maknae of BTS and younger than her, and could still manage to do aegyos unlike what she told him the other day. Yoon Hee obviously scoffed at this, but when she found out he was serious, she scoffed even more. What kind of stupid reason was that to cover for her money expenses on his useless hunger needs. 

"Don't you ever dare leave like that again," those were the first words coming out from Mrs. Jeon's mouth, who had her arms crossed and lips pursed into a straight line to greet the arrival of her almost-daughter-like-maybe-will-be-daughter-in-law and her son who left with just a note stuck on the refrigerator. Yoon Hee glanced towards Jungkook who seemed just as nervous. He wasn't sure whether his mother was directing it to him or her, or worse, both of them.

"And I received a call from your beloved BTS hyung. You guys need to get to school. Apparently, that wasn't a given," Mrs. Jeon was still being stern about it. "Didn't hyung tell you..." Yoon Hee elbowed Jungkook in the ribs, causing him glower in pain. "I'm just so so sorry, ahjumma. Girl issues. Promise you it'll never happen again," she made an okay sign, flashing off her best confident smile.

Mrs. Jeon finally broke out into a sigh and opened her arms, encircling all three of them into a big, tight hug. "Just don't ever do that again, you hear me? You too, young man." The truth was she had been worried all day thinking that maybe Jungkook took off with Yoon Hee and secretly marry her in North Korea or something, but of course that'd be impossible, but then again mothers would think of anything when they were in a dire state. Only after the phone of call from the Park family that they were safe in Busan managed to keep to not call the police and report them missing.

"Now, go to school. Jin said it's important," Jungkook eyed Yoon Hee weirdly, wondering what could possibly happen for Jin to even call his mother. "Well, what are you waiting for? Go!" One last shout from Mrs. Jeon sent them off into the streets, walking their way to school despite it being already noon. 

"Maybe I should consider arriving at noon. No scary teachers to give us detention for being late," Jungkook blurted out. It was true, though. What teacher would still be standing still in the scorching sun just to wave off a few detentions to latecomers? None. At least they were still sane. "Yeah, but no everybody else, too." Yoon Hee scanned the area of the school as they walked past the main gate and towards the main building. But no, nothing, nobody. It was ominous silence. Even the classes seemed to be empty.

The doors to the main building swung open, and seemed to answer all their questions. Students were crammed up in the hallways, all the way leading to the school's office. Jungkook couldn't possibly imagine who would top his 'stealing' record, but someone seemed to be in huge trouble considering the attention he or she was gaining from it.

"Jungkook! Yoon Hee!" the familiar voice resonated despite the chaos and they turned around only to be greeted by the ever so Bangtan Boys. Jin smashed both of them into a crashing hug followed by J-Hope and Jimin.

"Geez, what's with everybody and hugs today?" Yoon Hee quipped. They all chuckled, maybe they showed it too much that they already missed her. Suga tried to keep it cool by saying, "Running away? So not the Yoon Hee I imagined." Yoon Hee just pulled him into a crashing hug as well, leaving the latter startled, then freaked out. "Yah, maknae! Take care of your girlfriend before she goes around hugging random guys." "Not that you refuse, eh?" RapMon nudged him, but that silent stare he received made him stop teasing Suga.

"Well, no time for that. Congrats, Jungkook! You're going back to school," Jin patted him on the back. "And you young lady, should thank us. Since you never bother saying goodbye, we never really say that you're leaving school to the principal."

"Wait, what? I thought I'm suspended," Jungkook asked confusedly. This was still making no sense. But just then, Bora walked out of the office, with Coach Yoon trailing behind her. She had her usual purple backpack slinged over her shoulders with her hair tied up like always. Sohee and Infinite approached her, stopping her in her tracks. Coach Yoon seemed to go first, to which Bora nodded, but Jungkook could not really decipher what they were talking about.

"Apparently, Bora confessed that she was the one to steal the bracelet. She even put up the whole stressed out daughter act as an effect to her parents' divorce just so she could get the liberty of not getting expelled," J-Hope explained. "Coach Yoon came, and well Bora just got a month's suspension. No cops or anything."

Yoon Hee and Jungkook nodded, trying to process the new information. "But it's all so weird. Why would she confess for Jungkook?" Yoon Hee questioned. "Ah, but that's the thing. Maybe she did stole the bracelet. J-Hope guessed it before, but we didn't expect for it to be her. For real," Jin uttered. BTS was honestly shocked by this sudden confession as well, but J-Hope saw it coming. He was glad she took his advice. At least she won't be living with guilt for the rest of her high school years.

Bora stomped her way out after obviously getting confronted by Sohee due to her sudden action. She made her way to BTS however, much to their surprise. "Just so you know, I'm still the devil. This is just courtesy, out of the friendship I had with her," she said aloud enough for all of them to hear. Her usual demanding, dangerous tone was on, making her seemed tough and fearless. It was just trying to scare BTS off, because confessing didn't mean she won't be the bad girl or make peace with them. She did it for her, for her sake only. Guilt eating you alive, not a pretty feeling.

 

Ever since the headlines of Bora being the actual thief, no one made it to top her. Which was a good thing, frankly speaking. No more gossip in the school headlines, only real news to be printed. 

Tiffany scrolled the school page for the umpteenth time. She was more than thrilled to see today's headlines. It happened only once a year, and she was glad there were no crazy rumours or steaming gossips that would make her news go down the drains. 

Winter Play 2013 : Possibly the best with new hottie Jin as the lead?

A knock was heard and she could see Jin's head peeking through the door. "Hey, ready?" he inquired albeit knowing the answer. This was Hwang Tiffany we were talking about. Born to act, it was in her blood basically. She had yes, proudly hold the leading roles in all productions of mini theatre back in kindergarten, elementary and middle school. She had always been the president of all the drama clubs she entered, just like then. Nerves didn't usually get to her.

But strangely, that night, she found herself being more nerve-wrecked than ever. Particularly, when Jin was around. 

"Always," she flashed a sweet smile before getting up from her seat to prepare for the performance.

Meanwhile, front stage was filled with parents and other students mainly juniors, bustling into the theatre hall to take the best seats. It was crowded like every year, the only difference was the row of Jin's fangirls who were holding placards written with 'Jin oppa, you're the best!' and 'Saranghae Jin oppa!' Jin had always been known as the hot rebel in the school but he always seemed so unapproachable which scared everyone away. But when he joined the drama club and even got the lead, pushing Sungyeol out of the way, people started to see him in a different light. Mostly girls, of course, which led him into gaining some.

Some whom may happened to be Sungyeol's fans long time ago.

"Whoa do they always make this play this big of a deal?" Jungkook chirped while taking a seat beside Yoon Hee. "This play is a big deal. Have you forgotten this is the play where Hwang Jungmin's daughter is in?" J-Hope motioned his hand towards the man in dark jeans and olive jacket seating at the most front seat. 

"I just can't believe Jin hyung's in this," V commented. Suga who sat right next to him nodded,"I know right. I've been going to this school for 4 years now and hell, this is my first time I went to a school play." RapMon put a hand on his shoulder before saying, "Well, we are doing this for Jin hyung." "Ahhh I think I'll get goosebumps if I hear hyung's cheesy lines. Even if it's acting," Jimin uttered, to which Jungkook squirmed. He too couldn't imagine the tough hyung he looked up to so much to be acting out romantic scenes. Not to mention with Tiffany.

"Hey guys, I'm going to the toilet for a while," Yoon Hee blurted, but not that they even cared. Only Jungkook of course mentioned something about the play that was going to start. He even offered to accompany her considering schools could get pretty dangerous or scary at night. Yoon Hee laughed, "I think I can handle myself."

Even when he hesitated, he still got up from his seat and let Yoon Hee get out from the row to excuse herself to the ladies. He was still worried, just in case anything happened to her. But he took a deep breath and shook all the negative thoughts away. Now that he was her boyfriend, he might just be paranoid. Jungkook sat at his place back and focused on whatever his hyungs were talking then.

Yoon Hee the tap and the water flowed out almost immediately. She washed her hands before wiping it dry with the tissue paper on her right. She also made sure to check her appearance then, not that her makeup was ruined or anything. A couple of hair fixing and there, she was done. She stepped out of the bathroom and took the nearest route to the theatre hall.

"No! I don't want to hear any excuses. Just make sure you carry out my order!"

Yoon Hee stopped in her tracks and turned her head to the left, searching for the source of the voice. She immediately hid behind the wall at the corner after she found a visage talking to someone on his handphone. It was dark. She could only see him under the moonlight. But that figure....he seemed familiar.

"Huh, fine. Bring it there, then. And remember, if you fail again, you are dead."

Something about his tone made Yoon Hee feel uncomfortable. She could feel shivers down her spine and all the goosebumps. And she was pretty sure it wasn't because of the chilly wind.

"Dad, the play's starting."

Yoon Hee peeked to see and yup, she was right. That was L. The figure earlier turned his body sideways to face L and muttered, "Alright. Let's go then."

She leaned against the wall once again, startled and panicked. If that was L, then that must be L's dad. Kim Yoochang. The one who destroyed her family, her home, her life. She knew he sounded familiar. But what could he possibly mean by that phone call? It was vague, she couldn't really point out anything. Maybe she was paranoid since she hated him so much. Yoon Hee stepped out of her 'hiding place' and went to the hall back. But what she heard earlier kept on bugging her mind. 

An uneasy feeling crept inside her. She felt like something's bad coming, and she could only hope she was wrong.

 

Author's note ♔ 
Hey ho! Look who decided to update after a month. lol /shot. So I've made all the chapters except the final one, but they're all in draft mode, still. I revamped the foreword and all, hope it looks pretty x) I'm planning to release the chapters one by one starting today, then tomorrow, then so on. Let's hope that works out. BTS came out with repackaged album with new track, Miss Right. Give lots of love to it! Okay, enough blabbering. Hope you will subscribe and enjoy reading!