Healing Camp Part I

The Social Ladder

 

 

Jin grabbed her wrist, almost too forceful. She jerked back, tears were cascading down her cheeks. There was nothing more heartbreaking than this. "I'm sorry. I'm just so stupid not realizing my feelings before this. Saranghae Jihyun-ah." The next thing she knew was his lips crashing onto hers. She tried to fight, but soon was lost in the deep kiss. Without herself knowing, she too gave in.

And with that, the audience clapped, some even rose from their seats. The mahogany curtains closed, signifying the end of Seungri High's 2013 Winter Play. Cheers were heard, mainly coming from BTS who was overwhelmed and shocked by the kiss. It was acting, they knew. But still, he did kiss her. Acting or not. Period.

"Hyung!" the younger's voice resonated at the hall's backstage, where most actors were busy removing their makeup and changing their clothes into their own. Some were just chattering, talking about how they killed this year's play or how they were relieved that it was finally over. It was a busy sight. People running here and there, the chattering couldn't seem to ever end.

Jin greeted them with a smile. His face was definitely portraying happiness. Something that was genuine but long gone from his life. Who'd knew he found it in the form of acting? 

"Oppa when you're famous, I want to remind you who put you into this again," Yoon Hee crossed her arms, pretending to be serious. "Hyung, you are like so actor-like? It was...whoa, wow, yeah just wow," Jimin praised. This was followed by J-Hope who clapped his hands repeteadly, "If you're that good, maybe you would get an award or something, hyung."

"Ei, don't go overboard, will you?" Jin scoffed, waving off the overflowing praises and compliments. He thought they were just messing around with him like always. But a voice made him think otherwise. "I wouldn't say they're overboard. You were really good earlier."

Tiffany made her way to the gang, her heels click-clacking against the hard wooden floor. Following her from the back were two guys, both looked middle-aged and there was a proud smile on each of their faces. Jin squinted his eyes as the view of those two became clearer. One of them was wearing a familiar attire; dark jeans and olive jacket. 

All of them widen their eyes the moment they registered who those people were. On instance, they bowed but those two only laughed and waved it off. "No need to be so tensed. This isn't your first time seeing an actor? Or is it?"

"Sunbae, this is my dad. And this is Director Moon, talent scout director at my dad's agency," Tiffany introduced them to Jin specifically. Seeing an actor upclose like that was making all of them starstruck but knowing the other guy's true identity made them gasp in shock. Jin was the most obvious. He couldn't hide the fact that hearing what he was capable of was making him on the edge. He once again bowed to the two, this time in full 90 degrees.

"So you are the talented sunbae my daughter talks all the time," Jungmin, Tiffany's dad remarked to which she playfully hit her dad's arm. "Appa!"

The elder laughed, even the director. "I did the right decision by coming to this play. I was having high expectations of this year's hottest rookie actor in Seungri High, and you...you surpassed it," Director Moon patted Jin on the back, as if congratulating him. Jungmin butted in suddenly, "Have you had any thoughts in acting? You're a natural, you know."

Jin bulged his eyes, the question took him aback. "Acting? Like for a career?"

"Yeah, sunbae. I think you have what it takes, right ahjusshi?" Tiffany stated to Director Moon, more like a statement than a question itself. "Not to mention, you do have the visuals. With the talent and a little bit of polishing, I believe we can see the next Hwang Jungmin here," the director commented. "Uh, I...." Jin was lost for words. He never really know what to do with his life, but now seeing there was an opportunity for him to actually be someone useful, it sort of made him happy. The only problem was whether he would really do it. This play, it was for him to graduate. But doing it in real life meaning doing it for yourself.

"Don't bother the poor boy. Let's go get a drink, shall we?" Jungmin drived away the director before he could persuade Jin anymore. He didn't want Jin to feel burdened or anything. "Alright, take your time. But if you're interested, just call me," Director Moon handed out his business card before leaving with Tiffany's dad.

"Whoa...hyung, you're actually going to be famous!" V immediately slung an arm around his hyung's shoulder, peeking a look at the business card. Jungkook joined in the party, stealing the card from Jin's hand and then Jimin did the same to him. It seemed like they were the ones to get scouted.

Yoon Hee clapped her hands to get their attention. Boys, she thought and sighed. "Okay let's not get over excited here. Why not we just go and celebrate Jin oppa's succesful 'debut' today? Urmm, I'm thinking...pizza?"

"Call!" BTS shouted in unison and then laughed. They were always okay when it came to food. Any food, really. "I'm buying tonight then," Jin announced, which received cheers from his dongsaengs. "Assa! Finally!" Jungkook pumped his fist in the air but Jin soon headlocked him. "What did you say? Finally? I treat you all the time, you ingrateful maknae."

Yoon Hee noticed that Tiffany was being silent this whole time. Maybe she felt outcasted since they didn't actually invite her. She braved herself to talk to Tiffany. After all, if it wasn't for her, Jin wouldnt've been here. "Urm, you want to join us?"

"Oh, no thanks. I'm tired. Gotta get my beauty sleep," Tiffany chuckled dryly. That situation was way awkward than what Yoon Hee pictured in her head. It had been forever since she last spoke to Tiffany without fighting. Strange, when just a few months ago they'd spend hours talking non-stop just about Lee Jongsuk. "You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm good. You go ahead," Tiffany smiled reassuringly.

"Yoon Hee! You're coming?" Jungkook shouted from afar. By then, the boys were already making their way to the hall's exit. "Yeah! Coming!"

 

BTS and Yoon Hee shuffled their way out, making noises as usual along the way. They were teasing Jin about being an actor, but then someone would pop up with the idea of persuading Jin to let them drink beer. He was the only adult technically, and boy, taking care or should he say babysitting these underage kids was not easy. They kept on whining, saying that this was their chance. Jin thought they were underestimating him, thinking that he was easy, and so he kept on saying no. "No way! Not a chance!"

"Ah hyung~" they cooed.

Sohee turned her head towards their direction. She sighed. How could fate do this to her? Or maybe karma? Ugh, either one didn't matter since she was still the one losing. She had given up everything to get this far, the top. She was Ahn Sohee, the school's fashionista, student body president, top GPA scorer, most popular girl in school and not to mention the queen bee of the whole social pyramid. She gave up her best friend just to get to this spot. She gave up her time to study like hell just to get that president position. 

Ironically, yet there she was, alone.

She pondered, maybe that was why it's called the top. Because there was only one position. You can't bring anyone else up if you still want to reign. It is a lonely position. A price you have to pay.

Her phone vibrated, startling her from her thoughts. The caller ID read someone who she had been waiting for the past 3 hours to come but never showed up. Although bored by her excuses, she still picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Sohee-yah, I'm sorry. Got caught up with work again. I promise I'll go to the next one, okay? Take care of your dongsaeng, sweetheart. I have to go, bye."

The line was cut and the only thing she could hear was the beeping sound from the other line. "Yes, umma," she muttered despite she already ended the phone call. It was always like that. Always next time. She felt sick hearing that word. She grew used to the word promise that she even forgot the actual meaning, considering her mom never did as said.

Winter's Play wasn't a parents-teacher meeting or anything, but most parents would come even when their children were not in the play. It was like a bonding time, but of course Sohee's mom never understood that. Almost everybody had their parents or friends there, but all she had was the cold night. Her friends were busy with their own parents, some already fled home.

"You think the play's boring?"

She turned her body to the right on reflex and laughed. L stood there, his hands in his pants pockets in hope to get some warmth against the chilly breeze. "What's so funny?"

Sohee hit him in the arm playfully. She knew that he must had noticed her long face. It wasn't the first time she got caught zoning out alone with a pout on her face. L was aware of her family problems since he did catch her that one time in the same situation as this. Ever since, she'd talk to him sometimes if she felt unhappy, but that was rarely. Usually, L would have to approach her first.

"I think the play . That is no actor," L continued talking.

"Really? What a shame. I think he's pretty good."

"What's that I hear? Ahn Sohee praising her enemy?"

"Hey, hey, he's your enemy. He's just my...acquaintance?"

"Acquaintance my ," L joked. He eyed the now laughing Sohee. Her laugh, it wasn't sincere. "Mom problems again?"

She stopped laughing, her lips was pursed afterwards. "Yeah," a soft mumble was heard and L sighed to this answer. "Come on, it's a great day. Night's still early, wanna hang out with me?" he casually slunged an arm, in efforts to comfort her. She glanced towards him, giving a suspicious look. "You're asking me out? At 11 pm?"

"Take it or leave it, miss president," L let go of her and crossed his arms, as if letting her know that everything was up to her. Whether to drown in sorrows alone or have fun with a friend without a care. "Okay," she smirked.

"L! Where are you going?" a man with buttoned up polo shirt and slacks approached them from the back. "I thought you're already going home, dad," L replied as Sohee bowed to the elder. Ignoring the question, Yoochang stepped forward and greeted Sohee. "Isn't this Sohee? Daughter of AW Corporations?"

She just merely nodded. L's dad and her mom couldn't avoid the fact that they had to work together a few times and with L and her being friends, she could say that she knew the guy. "You've grown so well the last time I saw you."

Seeing that Sohee was uncomfortable, L excused himself and her, promising he would be home by midnight. "No, it's fine. You young kids go and have fun. Night's still early," Yoochang waved off the two of them, as if giving approval or something. Sohee then bowed and walked ahead first. L, who was suddenly held back by his father was stuck there for a while.

"She's a pretty good catch. Be good to her," he whispered to L. L was perfectly aware that his dad only uttered those words because he knew Sohee was the most financially stable aka rich after him in the school. AW Corporations was famous as Korea's top brand especially for outdoor clothes, the ones which Sohee's mom was in charge in designing. If it wasn't for status, there was no way he'd let L befriended her.

Enraged, L shook off his father's arm on his and spatted, "She is my friend. And I won't be doing anything you ask me to anymore. Just like what you did to Yoon Hee." L stormed off the scene, leaving Yoochang behind, as he tried to catch up with Sohee.

 

It was that time of the year again. The offical winter healing camp of Seungri High open for anyone who goes there.

"Alright, gather up, guys! Juniors, follow me!" Sohee shouted, giving her best shot to get their attention. Amazingly enough, they all heard and abided her, slowly shuffling behind her to a bus marked with he number 53. The trunk was open widely and so was the door, revealing the now seated bus driver. Courtesy to L, they managed to get executive coaches that would be their main transportation to get there. It was always the same every year actually. Last year, Hoya was the one who sponsored the transportation. 

It wasn't just the kids, the parents were more eager about this camping trip too. Or more like to flaunt who would sponsor and had the power to do so. This year, Hoya's parents decided to sponsor the meals and drinks instead. Sohee's mom sponsored the outdoor jacket as usual, no one else ever did take over that sponsor before. Tiffany's parents sponsored the activity fees while Sunggyu's dad volunteered for the accomodation. Although, it was just basically tents and all. Bora for the first time ever just tagged along. Due to the whole family conflict and her thief scandal, she decided to lay low and just enjoy the camping trip like the other kids normally would.

"Gather around!" this time Hoya helped. "Alright, listen up to what Sohee has to say."

She cleared , ready to project her voice rather than the usual more monotonous tone she always used. "So, first of all, this is the annual healing camp and I know all of you are excited, but please keep in order. I don't want to be losing anyone because they didn't hear what I said or wandered off somewhere. I will lead this group while Sunggyu oppa will handle the seniors and Sungjong with the sophomores. Solji will be leading the freshmen."

"Drop your luggages in the trunk or carry it up to your seats. Your choice," she shrugged. "Okay, last rule," the rest of juniors groaned. "Have fun!" she grinned cheekily to which everyone heaved a sigh of relief. Some even laughed, glad that was it. Immediately afterwards everyone did as ordered and climbed onto the seats.

Jungkook and Yoon Hee, V and Namjoo. The lovebirds definitely wouldn't miss a chance to seat close to each otehr. They all sat quite in the back while some of Infinite and 3D's sat in the front. It was pretty thrilling for all of them, considering healing camp was always the higlight of all the activities of Seungri High. It was a bonus too considering they invited anybody to join, sponsor or not. Didn't matter if you didn't pay a penny to go, all that matters was the attendance. You go, you have fun, no tricks.

The bus soon started moving after Ms Ma finished her head count. A total of 30 people exactly excluding herself and Mr Oh. She was of course at the most front row, just in front of Sohee and Tiffany. Instead of giving a damn about taking care of these 30 hyperactive teenagers who were high to have fun, she just decided to fall in a deep slumber with a pair of sunglasses rested on her eyes and a soft neck pillow giving her comfort.

The bus had a flat screen tv in it and of course, a radio. Noticing this, Tiffany stood up and walked to the front to whisper to the bus driver ahjusshi. He nodded while smiling, leaving Sohee who was watching her since earlier, curious than ever. 

The next thing she knew Tiffany was tapping the microphone, the kind that would be available in a tour bus and used by a tour guide. The difference was today was no tour and that she was no tour guide. Today, Tiffany was just a teenager reliving the sweet memories of every camping session she had every year.

"Ah, ah," she spoke up. "Testing, 1, 2, 3." Everyone's attention was turned to her and Tiffany was more perked up than ever. She wasn't really the bubbly type but the healing camp really got her excited. "As you know, we all have our tradition. Karaoke on the bus!"

Her announcement only confirmed what Sohee feared most. Cheers and claps erupted, the response was better than expected. All of the juniors perfectly knew what she was talking about, although some were unsure of the possibility for that to happen.

"Okay, to kick off this 4 hour journey, we need someone to get this started. Any volunteers?"

Jimin coughed awkwardly and sneakily raised Jin's hand. "Here!" Got to give him credit for his best attempt to mimic Jin's voice. Bewildered, Jin found himself being stared by the rest of the bus, to which he shook his head. "Oh no, no. Hell no! This brat did it." It was a little bit too late for defence considering Tiffany shoved the mike to him. Jin tried to remain rooted but Jimin and Tiffany pulled him out. The next thing he knew he was near the front row, all eyes were full of hope. What? Just because he acted, did it meant he was naturally gifted in singing?

"Give it up for our hottest rookie actor, Jin!" Tiffany tried to enlighten the mood. Jin waved it off before saying, "But I ain't going down this battleship alone. V, Jimin, Jungkook, get your asses here or I'll make sure your parents know what you drank the other day."

With no other choices, the three dragged their feet to the front. "Mean hyung," Jungkook managed to mumble. "You dragged me into this," Jin glared at Jimin but V was the one to answer. "I didn't do anything!"

"Too late. You're already in ever since you joined BTS," Jin smirked. The truth was the rest of BTS was on another bus, and so the maknaes were the only ones left to be 'sacrificed.'

The music began playing slowly and as the crowd cheered, Jin prepared to make (hopefully not), the biggest mistake of his life. He swallowed hard and crossed his fingers that his voice would somehow deemed acceptable.

 

 

With the ending of Jungkook's high note, massive clapping was heard while the boys hurriedly walked back to their seats. Everyone looked impressed, especially some of Jin's fangirls who somehow managed to board that bus with him. So, the actor sings, what could be better than that aside his totally perfect looks and bad boy attitude?

"Okay, that was really good!" Tiffany raised her thumb up while grinning towards Jin as if congratulating him for the mini performance. "But, this is the camping trip. We want to go and have fun, right?" the students hollered the word 'right' back at her. "And so, just like any other years, tradition goes on. I present to you, Twinkle."

The familiar upbeat music cranked up and Tiffany started it off with her usual high-pitched almost screaming like tone. It was a thing that the 4D's would always do, ever since freshman year, just for the camping trip. It was the only one opportunity where people could hear them sing, and when they do, it was always an attention catcher. So, whoever that got on the same bus on them was considered lucky to enjoy their free voice belting out session.

Except this year, no matter thought that they would still do it. Not since 4D's turned into 3D's.

Regardless, Tiffany made her way to Bora, who had been silent ever since she returned to school after her one month suspension-hiatus. She knew Bora was the easiest to approach and always the life of the party. And she was right. Bora hesitated at first, but seeing the hopeful look on Tiffany's face, she sang the words in her head that was already stuck in her memory for years.

The twinkle, twinkle, the twinkle, twinkle
The twinkle, twinkle, the twinkle, twinkle
Even if I hide it, I twinkle - what do I do?
It catches the eye instantly 
Even if I'm covered with a veil
I obviously twinkle

Along the way of the duo's singing, they made way to Sohee who was seated next to Sungjong. The two tried pulling her into the karaoke group, and after that failed, they just shoved the mike to , waiting for her to sing her line. Her usual line. Sohee looked at Sungjong who only shrugged, claiming innocence and had the I-didn't-have-anything-to-do-with-this look.

People began chanting from the back, "Sing! Sing! Sing!" Even the asleep Ms Ma woke up to see what the commotion was all about.Sohee threw a glaring look at the two before uttering the lyrics to the song, which was her part. Well, the part where she always sang.

Other people like the twinkling me too
You need to take caution till the end
You're the one who stole this gem

Always protect my side, only linger around me
Don't take your eyes off me
Fall into my charm

As Bora and Sohee hit the chorus, Tiffany slowly approached Yoon Hee at the back, to which everyone else were giving questioning looks. "She's not going to - is she?" one boy whispered, but audible enough for Tiffany to hear. She didn't care, she just had to do this. Honestly, she missed having Yoon Hee as her best friend, but she didn't think she was in the right place to ask her to forgive herself. And so, counting last night that Yoon Hee didn't seem to be so pissed at her, she thought that one song wouldn't hurt, right? 

After all, it was their tradition song, the one they always sang during camping trip.

Yoon Hee was feeling a little bit awkward at first, not sure what to do, but when Sohee and Bora both stopped singing, it clicked in her head. It was her part, then. They still remembered, or at least their system was just used to it that they didn't kept on singing. Jungkook held her hand and pressed it against his own palms, assuring her that it was fine. 

And with that, Park Yoon Hee was back to the spotlight. At least for a while.

I want to look good for you
I want to be prettier and twinkle
Why are you the only one who doesn't know my true value?

Even if I hide it, I twinkle, what to do?
It catches the eye instantly
Even if I'm covered with veil
I obviously twinkle

The rest of the song continued peacefully but in a fun, enjoyable kind of way. Which was surprising for most people considering that they would never think the 3D's give a damn about Yoon Hee anymore. Tiffany was the first to ask, Bora was cool with it and Sohee, well, she didn't retaliate.

There was a reason why they chose that song the first time in freshman year. Twinkle. It was in the name. They twinkle. They always feel like they're better and brighter than anyone. It was sung with pride and attitude, which the girls exuberated so much.

But at that time, no one thought about it. About how they should sing or perform or act. All of them were just having fun, sincerely. They were putting aside their differences for that one moment, just so that they could enjoy and savour the trip. It was the beginning, but hopefully, the fun wouldn't just die in the middle. Hopefully, it would last till the end.

 

Author's note 
Next chapter is up! As promised. Also shameless advertisement coming. After this story, I plan to make a sequel for my first fanfic. It's called Perfect Two. If you're an Inspirit, or your bias is L, or Krystal, mind checking it out? There's also Kai and Apink Eunji in the story ^^ Thanks for the subscribes and shoutout to minnie34 since she's the only one commenting lately, lols. Thank you to you too silent readers orz/. Here's a badass princess for you xD