Settling

Decisions
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With trembling fingers, Sehun immediately dialed Suzy's number. It rung numerously but was not readily picked up. Sehun's chest was thumping loudly as each ring sounded like a rejection for him.

"The number you have dialed can not be reached.."

"Aish," Sehun muttered as he started dialing her number again. For him, it did not matter how long he will keep on calling, as long as she answers the call. The sentence that was written in her message made him want to talk to her desperately- so desperate that he was almost on the edge of crying.

"Hello."

 Sehun closed his eyes and let Suzy's voice linger in his ears. Her voice was husky and Sehun suddenly realized that the time gap between his place and Korea is seven hours. It might have been morning for him but it was just past midnight in Korea.

"I'm sorry," Sehun said. "I might have woken you up."

"It's okay," Suzy answered. "I was worried that you didn't call a few hours ago so I called you instead but you didn't pick it up."

"I'm sorry," Sehun said again. "I was too tired that I drifted to sleep without noticing."

He heard Suzy sigh on the other line before she mumbled, "I miss your voice."

Sehun can't help but smile as he replied, "Just my voice?"

He heard Suzy chuckle before saying, "I miss you."

"Hmmmm," Sehun hummed. "I miss you too."

"So aren't you going to tell me about your day?" Suzy asked.

The small smile on Sehun's lips slowly faded as he felt his heart clench when he suddenly remembered what he had called for.

"Actually," Sehun started. "I called to ask you about your message."

He heard the rustling of blanket on the other line and he could only infer that Suzy shifted to sit on her bed. With that, Sehun had an idea that it was going to be a long talk between the two of them.

"What happened Su?" Sehun asked again.

"Is this my lucky day?" Suzy asked herself as she sighed in frustration. The rain already started pouring but she still can't find a cab.

"Miss," the street vendor called her attention.

"Neh?" Suzy asked.

"The cabs are on strike today," the vendor said and pointed at the newspapers that he was selling. "They're on strike because of the oil price hike. You won't find any today."

Suzy bit her lip and mumbled. "I should have attended driving lessons."

She then uttered thanks to the vendor who generously smiled at her before making her way to the bus stop. Luckily, Hana's school was just a bus from home and a bus from her own school. She kept biting her nails inside the bus as anxiety filled her brain and with disorganized thoughts, she hadn't noticed that the ride was already over and she was already in front of Hana's school. She let out a heavy breath before making her way out of the bus and into Hana's school. Her creased brows suddenly softened as she saw Hana lying on Jongin's lap. With hesitant and heavy steps, she walked towards them making Jongin watch her moves.

"She fell asleep while waiting," Jongin said casually as Suzy squatted down and brushed Hana's cheek with her fingers.

Suzy then looked up to him and whispered, "Thank you."

"No... problem," Jongin mumbled as he felt his heart thump at the proximity between him and Suzy.

Suzy then got Hana's bag and bit her lip again when she realized that she had too many to carry. She had a school bag and an extra paper bag with her while Hana had another school bag. With the rain, she had to carry an umbrella and a sleeping Hana too.

"I could take you home if you want," Jongin offered as he saw how uneasiness was written on Suzy's face.

"Do you have a car?" she asked in return.

Jongin then sheepishly scratched the back of his neck as he whispered, "No."

"But I can carry Hana and accompany you on your way home so that you would have less difficulties," he suddenly blurted out fast and regretted it after because he sounded like a desperate teenager wanting to take his crush home. However, he suddenly felt relief and awe when Suzy chuckled softly.

When was the last time I saw your eyes turned to crescent slits?

How long was it since you laughed for me? Jongin thought.

Jongin felt a mix of sadness and happiness overwhelming inside him with just a simple chuckle and to his surprise, Suzy's response to his offer was,

"Okay."

"The driver was not able to fetch Hana today," Suzy started as she decided to take things step by step.

"Why?"

"He called just later this evening and said that his wife was rushed to the emergency room and we weren't able to contact him because sold the phone so that his wife can be immediately treated."

"Aish," Sehun muttered. "He could have just borrowed money!"

"He's old, Sehun and he was panicking so he could not think straight," Suzy tried to calm him and it was effective.

"Who fetched Hana then?"

"I did," Suzy replied. "And I was able to talk to Jongin."

Suzy was holding the umbrella and carrying the bags as Jongin carried Hana in his arms. The silence between the two of them didn't help ease the atmosphere. Fortunately, the bus came but it was packed. Suzy kept being pushed around by the people going in and out of the bus. Jongin stood protectively in front of her, shielding his back for her and enveloping Hana more in his arms. However, as the bus becomes more crowded, the distance between them becomes closer and Suzy could do nothing but look down because it was dangerous to meet his face at times like this.

"Sorry," Jongin mumbled, apologizing for the awkward situation they were in.

Suzy then hesitantly met his eyes and mouthed an 'it's okay'. Jongin's face on the other hand, flushed red when he realize

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter