Chapter 35

Imagine You, Imagine Me.

I was sitting on my sofa when Jake passed me some hot chocolate. It was almost ten in the evening and I couldn’t bring myself to sleep.

“Thanks Jake” As I took the warm cup from him, Jake sat opposite me.

“Do you have class tomorrow?” Jake asked as I took sips from the hot chocolate.

“I have a lecture tomorrow, I’ll be back home by lunch, I guess” I put down the cup on the coffee table and leaned on the side of the sofa, hugging my own knees.

I cried all afternoon because of what had happened. I still could not believe what happened. I knew I had to say and told Kris everything.

“What are you thinking about?” Jake asked as he puts down his cup of hot chocolate.

“I honestly cannot believe what happened back there” I whispered. “I told Kris, I would not be mad if he told me the truth but as soon as I saw him, I couldn’t hold it back” I sighed and look out the window.

“You can’t keep holding out your feelings, Lena” Jake nodded, trying to make me feel better.

“I really hate myself, I hate the situation, I, I don’t know anymore” I almost started crying again and Jake immediately hold onto my hands.

“Don’t hate yourself. It’s not your fault, it’s no one’s fault” Jake said.

 


 

I couldn’t concentrate in class, my mind kept on replaying all the things that went on yesterday. I was half expecting Kris to show up outside when I finished my lecture. He was nowhere to be found though, I then felt like beating myself up. I knew I shouldn’t hope, I can’t. There is no future between Kris and I, I should accept that reality.

I smell flour right when I entered the house and immediately went for the kitchen. I saw Jake pouring some into a bowl, and in front of him, on the counter were strawberries, chocolate, sugar, cocoa, eggs, vanilla and all sorts of other ingredients but what caught my eyes the most were the red food colouring and the cream cheese. “Are you making Red Velvet, Jake?” I immediately asked, clearly excited.

Jake who finally realised I had arrived smiled and “Do you want to help?”

I nodded enthusiastically and put down my bags. Jake handed me an apron and showed me the recipe he had printed out. “Where are you up to?” I asked.

“I just started; do you want to continue pouring the flour out?” I nodded and took over that job from Jake. Jake started another mix of oil, vinegar, food colouring and vanilla. I help passed some of the ingredients and watched as Jake mix everything together.

Jake added his mix with mine and I continued to mix the beat. I was beginning to smile as I see the batter combining well. Jake gave a little pat on my head, clearly telling me I was doing a good job. After a while, I started to forget what I was mad about in the first place and was starting to be more focused on baking.

Jake had asked me to pour the batter in, but clearly, all I could do was make a mess out of it. I almost pour them out of the cake pans but Jake manages to save and showed the right way to do it.

“I’m hopeless!” I almost shouted and laughed out when we poured in the batter.

Jake decided to put some of the batter I spilled on my cheeks, “You are just clumsy, not hopeless” and laughed along.

“I’m always clumsy” I agreed, “I don’t have that much luck with cooking” I continued and decided to give Jake some of the mix on his face.

“It’s not that you don’t have luck, it’s because you worry too much about cooking” Jake grabbed some tissues and wiped off the mix of my cheeks.

“I can’t wait to frost this cake” I wiped the mix off his face when I saw him wiping off at a different area.

“We need to wait a good half an hour; do you want to make some hot chocolate?” Jake asked as I sat over the chair.

“You know what? Do you want to try my chocolate shake?” I suggested my go-to drink.

“Chocolate shake, that sounds good.” Jake smiled as I got off my seat. He finally sat down in the kitchen while I work on finding the things I needed. Surprisingly, I knew where everything was unlike back home, I will keep asking my mother things that I need.

“I used to make this for my brother back home, when he left, I had no reason to make it anymore” I explained, “So, if it taste weird let me know” I smiled and Jake nodded while watching me make chocolate shake.

“When is your brother coming back?” Jake asked curious.

“I don’t really know. He was supposed to come back a few months before I left” I scooped some chocolate ice cream. “He then decided to stay, for the experience he says” I shrugged.

“How did your parents react?” Jake asked while turning on the blender.

“They were fine, we never really argue. Sometimes I feel like we don’t talk but I think we were all expecting my brother would stay” I sighed, “I missed his company though.” I confessed.

“I don’t have any older siblings, well siblings for that matter, so I can’t say I know the feeling but I think I can say I understand, there are times when I feel I need company, someone to talk to, someone to vent out on, someone I could always count on” Jake was an only child but I could see he was very close with his parents.

“Hey, you can always count on me, I may not be a good listener but I’ll try just like you always do” I glanced over to him.

“I know I could count on you” Jake smiled and passes me two different glass, “If you ever need to talk to someone, Lena, you could always count on me” He continued.

I nodded and smiled because I felt it then, Jake’s sincere feeling.

 


 

I was greeted by a lovely couple in the kitchen when I went for dinner. Jake wasn’t anywhere to be found and I asked Tia where he was. Jake apparently had an engagement to attend. I helped Tia with dinner and we served pasta for the couple. Other guests were out and about.

“How long are you staying?” I asked the couple, they were married for a few months now.

“Three days, we are off to Malaysia next” Grace answered and I nodded.

“Off on an adventure, I see” I claimed while passing the two some salt and pepper.

“Yes, believe it or not, we’ve known each other for a while but we were never that close, this is our first trip together, we didn’t really date for a long time” Grace explained.

“How long have you known each other?” I asked Grace.

“We knew each other since high school, we were never in the same crowd though, she was always with hers and I was always with mine” Max now took over talking about the two.

“Wow, how did you, em, ended up together?” I hesitated asking but when I saw Grace smiling, I knew they didn’t mind.

“Well, for a long time, we were always with the same crowd, dated among our own crowd for a while too. But when I met Max in New York, we instantly clicked, I was used to my crowd and I never dared to explore but when I did, I was happier than I’ve ever been” Grace explain and I was still trying to understand.

“What Grace meant is, we were both used to the people we had around, we believed our future only revolves on those people, we never thought we could go out, meet other people outside and start something amazing” Max continued and I started to understand.

“It’s like we keep saying that person is the one because we are so use to having them around when there could be a better person out there for you” I rephrased and asked to the couple if that was the right way to interpret what they went through.

“Something like that, we both sacrificed friendships when we decided to get together but you know, in the end, everyone was happy” Max smiled as he looked towards his wife.

 

 

 

A/N : Sorry for the late update, I had a really huge writer's block and still having one. Lol. :|