Chapter 17

Imagine You, Imagine Me.

We held Kris’ welcoming party at a casual dining restaurant, it was my favourite, no, and it was our favourite. It held a lot of memory and I’m guessing another memory will carve in today. We sat on a table for six; we had to add in one more for Kris’ company, Jane.

Jess asked who she was and I didn’t know what to answer. Kris lied to me, he didn’t settle it. Most importantly, he broke his promise. I kept quiet during dinner because I really didn’t want to ruin the mood. I was content with my friends being happy. They were happy because Kris was back and our group was back to six plus one.

Alex, Jess, Mike and Mia kept on asking Kris about his time in Singapore. They also manage to talk to Jane about Singapore. The boys were already making plans for their basketball practise. I could only smile along with the girls.

“How are you, Lena?” Jane finally asked, I thought she wasn’t going to talk to me at all.

“I’m fine, better” was my answer. I finally started eating our food immediately after it was served. I could feel the mood getting better. Everyone was talking, laughing, giggling and there I was, quiet. My mood wasn’t good, it was not better.

I manage to glance towards Kris and I couldn’t stand looking at him. I started avoiding his eyes after. I could feel all the things I had once felt back in Singapore. I was mad at Kris; I was disappointed in him as well. I told myself to let the feelings go and just enjoy the night. After tonight, you can go your own way Lena.

At the end of dinner, we said our good bye and our see you. Kris manages to pull me out of the group and without anyone else noticing, I manage to pull myself out from him.

“Take care everyone” I said and walked back to my car leaving everyone. I didn’t cry, I guess, I had a feeling about this. It was as if my heart knew it would get hurt.

 


 

Kris tried to call me for the past three days, I ignored all his calls. My phone finally held a new record of 30 missed calls. I didn’t check my messenger application. I even felt like removing all the applications. I knew however, I couldn’t hide from Kris for long. The fourth day, when I heard my mother calling me from downstairs, I had a feeling Kris was here.

I walked out my room and went straight towards our living room, I saw Kris standing there with both my parents.

“Lena, Kris is here!” My mother smiled, I haven’t told her about what had happened. In my mother’s mind, Kris was probably almost the perfect boyfriend for me.

I only smiled and walked back to the kitchen; I poured some juice and place them on the tray. My mother came in and asked that I should also serve Kris some snack food. I wanted Kris out of the house; my mother however, wanted Kris to stay for lunch. I didn’t say anything though.

I walked back into the living room with the tray and put them on the table. I handed my father a glass, “Give one to Kris, Lena” and I gave him one of the juice. I sat opposite my father and Kris. My mother was already busy in the kitchen.

“How was Singapore, Kris?” My father asked.

“It was great, I learnt a lot of new things” Kris said and smiled towards me. I almost glared at him. I decided to help my mother.

“I’m going to the kitchen” I simply said and walk away.

Lunch was long, very long indeed. Kris sat next to me opposite my mother. As usual, my father was at the right side of the table. I had no interest in their conversation and my mother finally noticed, “Are you okay, Lena?”

“I’m fine, mom. I’m just really tired” I muttered. I wished Kris understood the idea, I wanted him to leave.

“Oh? You were fine last night? Did you sleep late?” My father asked instead.

All I could do was shook my head, I was really tired. I was tired of keeping this act on. At least if it was us alone, I wouldn’t need to pretend.

After lunch, I did the dishes and Kris stepped in the kitchen. It was finally the two of us alone. Kris immediately back hug me, his hand surrounded my waist.

“Stop it Kris” I shove his body with little effort. “I really need to finish all this work” I said.

Kris insisted so I had to do the dishes while he was still behind, he also helped dry some of the dishes. I hated this sight; I hated the fact that he had a routine whenever he comes over. We have lunch or dinner with my parents and he would help with the dishes.

When I turned over to Kris, he immediately stopped me from going forward. I rolled my eyes and just pulled his hands away. “We should go out” I said.

“No, I want to stay” Kris said and hold onto my hand. I roughly pushed his hands away and crossed them. “Len, please?” I could only sigh and walked over to our small living room, my living room because I usually spend most of my time there. It shouldn’t even be called a living room; it was more of a work room.

“I get it Kris. I get it, we just can’t work things out” I said while sitting on the sofa. “So let it go, I’ll let you go, I won’t hold any grudge against you, so just go” My tone became unsympathetic, I didn’t mean what I said. I was mad at him.

“I’m sorry” Kris sat next to me.

“Sorry? How many times have we been sorry to each other?” I asked and raised my eyebrows. I was really angry. I couldn’t keep it in any longer.

“You are mad” Kris stated.

“Mad? Of course I am, what did you expect? You promised me, Kris. You promised! You said you will work this out, you said you will be honest!” I finally burst.

Kris didn’t know what to say and all he did was took my hands and asked me to look at him.

“I had enough! I seriously cannot do this! You should not have come to the airport, you should not have promised if you can’t fulfil it!” I almost choked on my own words. “Just get out!” I shouted.

“No, please, Lena! Don’t do this” Kris pleaded.

“Then why? Why did you do all of this? Why is Jane here?” I asked. I wanted the truth. I knew I was terrible for thinking that Kris should leave Jane but I was sick of everything. I was mad at myself.

“I, I don’t know” Kris whispered.

“Are you kidding me? You don’t even have a valid reason?” I stood up, I almost reached the door when Kris pulled me and forced me to look at him.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I wanted to be better, I wanted to be a good guy for you” Kris appealed.

“Wanted? That’s not enough, you need to be better, you need to think for your own self” I opened the door and left him. I ran up to my room. I was sick and tired of this situation. I was angry. I was upset. I wanted to hit something; I wanted to just throw something. I should have known. I should have not hope.