Chapter 24

Imagine You, Imagine Me.

It turns out all the guest went out tonight, we were left with the three of us; Jake, Tia and me. Jake really wanted to taste my cooking so I gave up and finally started getting out all the ingredients.

“I’ll help as well!” Jake perked up, Tia only manage to shake her head.

“No help from me guys, we don’t want the kitchen to burn” Tia said and walked to the front. We both laughed at her comment.

“Well, we should start with the garlic then” I handed Jake the garlic. “I don’t mix well with this guy”

Jake laughed and immediately started helping with the garlic. I on the other hand, started working on the lemon juice.

“Why is this, your best dish again?” Jake asked while chopping and slicing.

“I used to have this obsession with this pasta, every time I walked in a restaurant, I would order it. So, I decided to try and make one. It didn’t go well at first but after a few, I was happy. I spend a lot of hours, days perfecting this” I answered and Jake nodded.

“I really like pancakes, explains why I like making pancakes in the morning” Jake said.

“You know, I love pancakes. If I could, I would eat pancakes all day!” I believed and handed Jake a small bowl.

“Who said we can’t eat pancake all day long? We definitely could!” Jake said and started explaining about a restaurant which uses pancakes as buns for their burgers.

Jake finished with the garlic and saw me still squeezing juice out of the lemons. He step in to help and I stood next to him. I grabbed some hot chilli and started chopping them in small bits.

“But do you know what I like the most?” Jake asked while working on the lemon juice.

“What?” I asked.

“Sushi” He answered and looks over me.

We both laughed, that wasn’t really a secret, we once went to a sushi restaurant and we both almost burnt our wallets and pockets while ordering. I love sushi and Jake did to.

The chillis were too hot, it was spicy, I could smell and feel it. My hands were getting hot and my eyes were almost fill with tears. I started coughing and sniffing.

Jake turns towards me and started laughing. “You should have let me cut all those”

I was shutting my eyes out and rubbing them with the back of my hands. Jake immediately brought me towards the sink. We were laughing because of the ridiculousness; “All this tears because of a few chillies!” I exclaimed.

After a few rinse, Jake started teasing again. I hit him lightly on the shoulders. I put the chillies in a bowl. Jake finished extracting the lemon juice and stood next to me while I was grating cheese, “Do you like to put in cheese in any of your pasta?” I asked Jake.

“Not really” Jake answered and I nodded, I didn’t like cheese that much too. So, I only grated a few enough to just give taste. Jake then boils in water for the linguine pasta.

As we waited for the pasta to cook, Jake asked “Have you started on any books lately?

“I don’t have time; I need to visit the book store, the library maybe. Why?” I looked at Jake who was sitting on the chair.

“I found this book.” Jake took out a book from his back pack and handed them to me.

It was Norwegian Wood. I was searching for this book when we had visited the book store a few months back and they had none in store.

“Wow, how did you know?” I glanced at Jake who was smiling.

“You searched for it. When I saw it in the book shelves, I remembered” Jake answered. I was happy and was still fascinated with Jake’s memory when he stood up and rinse the pasta.

I immediately put the book in a safe spot and took olive oil and graze them on the pan. Jake stood next to me to see what I put in next. I slowly put in chopped garlic and commented “You practically mince the whole thing; I could never do that without my mum”

Jake just smiled and I motion him to pass me the chilli. I waited for the garlic to turn golden brown before putting them in. I took the pasta and pour them into the pan. Jake helped stir them while I pour in lemon juice, sprinkles salt and pepper, parsley and beef rashers. I also manage to put in some sugar.

I stood there and asked Jake to try some of the pasta before I decide to put in more of anything and he look towards me and smiled widely; “I love it!”

 


 

I walked out the lecture theatre and saw Jake waiting for me. We both had class at 10am and decided to go for lunch before heading home. “Hi!” I immediately waved towards Jake.

“How was lecture?” He asked.

“Great, it was great. I manage to write half of the important he said, so I think that is quite alright” I sighed. The lecturer was tough, no notes, no slides, just talking and explaining but he was nice. If we had questions, he would be willing to help.

“That’s great, mine was okay. As usual, the only thing was I was hungry half way through the lecture” He explained.

“You didn’t eat enough breakfast, that’s why.” I insisted. We woke up late today; we spend the night talking about what if, what not and why. So Jake was rushing with breakfast, we only manage to eat toast with butter and jam.

“I need my pancake.” Jake stated and I could only grin at his words. He was definitely hungry.

“Sure, we’ll get pancakes then” I answered.

“Len”

I heard a familiar voice behind me. I knew that voice, even if I haven’t heard it for a while. I still knew who it belonged to.

“Len”

I stopped in my tracks and Jake was the first to turn instead. I looked over his face; he had a surprised expression and immediately turned towards me.