Dare (CS)

Spotted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

 

- 56 hours before the article was released

 

 KPAD’s school cafeteria was filled with hungry bustling students as they prowled the area looking for the best joint to satisfy their appetite. In the middle of this chaotic afternoon was the very prim and proper princess Suzy seated in secluded table nibbling on her sandwich in a distracted bored manner. She was punishing herself for her own unhappiness as she isolated herself the entire week avoiding her friends, family and most especially avoiding a certain man who had no qualms in doing that exact same thing to her. L, her Myungsoo, eluded her like plague. But she had no one else to blame but herself because she came to this decision so she has to it up and live by it.

“Being a daddy’s girl is leaving me at disadvantage….” She mumbled to herself in between bites and sighs.

As she gave up altogether in trying to eat, she dropped her sandwich on the ceramic plate, dusting away the crumbs on her fingers. She lifted her shoulders and dropping it again trying to psych herself as she breathed in and out deeply. She shook her head making the mild waves of her hair graze her shoulders she lifted her eyes and met those that had occupied her thoughts.

If Suzy were paying attention of her surroundings she would have known that for the past hour L who was across the café she was in has been watching her the entire time in deep concentration. Well, until he was busted of the act that is why he immediately lowered his head pretending to focus on the magazine he was supposedly reading. L swore under his breath guilty that he has been caught in an awkward disposition. L felt Suzy’s heated stare even from this vantage point that is why he could not help himself but steal a glance.

As L lifted his gaze towards Suzy he found that she was no longer alone because seated across her was Sungyeol who had his face disturbingly close to Suzy. That scene had L gritting on his teeth and the hand on the table in a balling fist. He slammed that same hand on the table as he lifted himself off the table quite abruptly as he stalked out of that cafeteria losing his appetite altogether.

Suzy heard a loud bang as Sungyeol lowered his head quite closely towards hers engaging intense eye contact with her that got her distracted momentarily from the thoughts of L. Looking behind Sungyeol she saw the leading role of her thoughts leave the area. A pout formed her lips as she saw L going. But was surprised when she looked back at the person across her, who still had his face too near for comfort, forming a very satisfied grin on his lips.

Suzy leaned back on her chair to put distance on Sungyeol’s face still quite puzzled on the turn of events just a few seconds ago. She looked back up at Sungyeol a grim line forming on her lips as she try to analyze what this person across her was up to. As if he had done nothing wrong Sungyeol nonchalantly took a large French fry from Suzy’s plate and popped it in his mouth. Still smiling at Suzy as he chewed.

“What are you up to?” Suzy asked lifting her brow. She knew Sungyeol for the longest time so she knew that popping in front of her at this very moment was not mere coincidence. Especially when that boy has a mischievous smirk on his lips. He is up to something.

“Nothing.” He shrugged as he leaned back on his own chair as he directed his gaze to the disappearing figure of L. “Is it not proper etiquette to greet an acquaintance most especially an acquaintance who’s an old friend?”

“You did not greet me.” Suzy crossed her arms on her chest. “You just sat across me made your presence known and got disturbingly close.” She pointed out.

“Indeed.” Sungyeol nodded his approval. “But how can I greet you properly if you were intensely staring at someone?” He questioned lifting the arch of his left eyebrow.

Suzy blushed and avoided Sungyeol’s questioning stare.

An avoidable deep sigh escaped Sungyeol’s lips.

“If you should know I am here to invite you to a luncheon at L Empire’s prestigious club for a meeting.” Sungyeol stated deciding to change the subject and not to dwell on the subject on hand to avoid discomfort for Suzy and himself. He watched as Suzy opened and closed as if she was hesitating for a proper answer but concluded not to speak her mind.

“Relax Suzy.” Sungyeol assured as he leaned forward as he placed his hand on the table. “It’s a business meeting amongst our other friends who will be willingly to give a helping hand on my mother’s foundation first charity event. If you want to help you are welcome to join.” Sungyeol explained

Suzy still had her doubts as she processed the idea first before agreeing. “Of course I will help…..but…..” She met Sungyeol’s gaze hesitating again.

A forced laugh escaped Sungyeol’s lips. “If you think I have a hidden agenda don’t overthink this offer. It’s an innocent request believe me and my mother specifically wants you to be there as well. I have forgotten about my intentions for you in regards to marriage.” Clearing his throat to ease the sudden squeeze in his heart but he steadied his emotions as he confidently continued. “Have you not seen the articles in numerous papers? My priority right now is not to find love nor is it my priority to force it upon a person who has been an important part of my life.” Sungyeol tried to meet Suzy’s gaze as he said this putting much effort in keeping a trembling smile on his lips. “Friends?” He extended his arm. “Good friends?” Sungyeol repeated, he could not help it if he sounded desperate but he wanted this and his hoping that Suzy will be agreeable to it. It’s his last chance in staying in Suzy’s life. He swallowed hard, held his breath and waited for an answer.

It took Suzy merely five seconds before a smile broke on her lips as she accepted that hand offered to her. “Good friends!” She agreed finally, satisfied that at least she fixed a relationship in her life that she has been bitter of ever since she had left Korea two years ago.

Once those words escaped Suzy’s lips that she was agreeable……………… Relief was the first emotion Sungyeol felt and then joy because once again Suzy was in his life even if it was not the most suitable situation he’d rather be in.

 Sungyeol realized that he will take what is offered to him and he shan’t be forceful on what he wants to be given to him. This time he will let life play by its own accord. He would not dare again jeopardize relationships around him merely because it did not play according to his constructed plan. He will not go back to where his life falls apart and then try his hardest in piecing it back together to its specific original plan. He will keep an open mind from now on until he will be given a chance to get it back to how it use to be……if given the chance, a big if. It’s all up to faith or once destiny.

 

)--------------(

 

Bora did not think that in twenty four hours after she has sworn off alcohol she’ll find herself in a bar once again cradling a bottle of Soju in her slim fingers. She had thought that she already moved pass from depression ever since Sunggyu left town in quite a haste. IU has already assured her that her cousin is in a better place that is according to IU’s uncle who has repeatedly told IU that Sunggyu wanted this. IU believed it and Bora wanted to believe it as well but she could not erase the doubt in her heart. She had seen Sunggyu before he had disappeared and he had told her that he will go back to the world they lived in together once his ready which is soon. But then maybe he changed his mind. He could never get use to the new lifestyle and the attention that is why he disappeared elsewhere. But Bora could not picture Sunggyu as a coward and run away to a “better” place. So here she is mourning the loss of a friend that became quite important to her.

As the sky darkened and the evening crept in, the pungent taste of the alcohol burning Bora’s throat made her decide that she had enough wallowing on her own and slowly slid herself off the bar stool. But something caught the corner of her eye. On the dark corner of the room in a booth of this club someone was drowning his sorrow with a bottle of Soju as well. This sighting was unusual to Bora so without hesitation she made her way towards that form to kill her curiosity.

As Bora slid herself in the booth and made her presence known the response she got was a loud groan and a hiccup from the other party.

Bora looked heavenward and propped her chin above her hands, her elbow resting on the dark marbled table. “I never imagined in my entire life that I will see this scene in front of me. I always thought you weren’t made of the same substance like the rest of us.”

L pouted, raised the bottle he held and drank a good amount of Soju before responding to that comment. “I waas neeveer fond of alcoohool and aaaas much aaas poosssible…..” L slurred his words. “..I veeeeered aaaawaaay whaaat society is expected of meeeee.” He hiccupped again before straightening his shoulders to meet Bora’s gaze and pounded on his chest with his fist. “I wanted to staaaaay far, far away from sinful substance such as this bottle of concoction. Everyone thought I was tooo gooooood to be involve in what noormaal full red-blooded male does and experience.” L slouched back on to the couch his gaze faltered towards his thigh. “Sorry to disappoint you. I am only human and I make mistakes like the rest of us.” He lifted that bottle to his lips and drank again. “I just wish this won’t ruin my chances in impressing the lady fans of the society or putting a scratch to my impressive reputation. For, I the “prince” can be like any normal male with flaws, hang ups and all the other mumbo jumbo crap that we get ourselves involve in…..counting in the crap our ancestors has done that has been carried over to us!” He stressed on the last part.

Bora giggled as L recited his issues of the world, before L could take another swig of his drink Bora stole it from him. “I’ll drink to that!” Bora raised the bottle up in the air as L childishly pouted because his property was stolen from him. “To our flaws and mistakes. To our elders who passed their mistakes to us.” Bora chugged down the half empty bottle in one go.

L watched grumpily as the contents of his last drink disappeared down Bora’s throat, his brows furrowed disapprovingly. That is why he lifted his arm calling the attention of the waiter.

“Another bucket of Soju for us please.” L demanded

The waiter looked down from where he was standing at L appalled by such request. “Master L I do not think, Mr. Kim will be very pleased if we served you another bucket of drinks.”

L stood up and grabbed hold of the waiter’s collar. “I don’t think I am pleased with that tone of your voice. This is L Empire’s private club I own this whole bloody shenanigans right after my father. It is only right that you…..” pointing on the waiter’s chest “….provide me what I want.” L pointed to himself.

The waiter swallowed first before nodding his head in approval with a satisfied grin L let go of him and sat back on the chair shrugging his shoulders answering the questioning stare that Bora gave his way.

“This will be an interesting long evening….” Bora thought to herself. “…for the prince dared to be like the rest of us.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter