Displaced

Spotted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A week had passed since the Ball, leaning on a bench under a tree in KPAD University campus garden, Suzy took a deep breath. Closing her eyes she imagined she was back in London comfortably lying down on her Victorian style bed. Suzy had somewhat gotten over her jet lag and yet is still recuperating from the emotional encounter with Bora. Her ex-best friend decided to crash her welcome party or rather sneakily involving Woohyun, making herself his plus one.

-Flashback to the week before-

 As soon as Suzy saw Bora entering the ballroom the big smile on her face to welcome guests dropped.

Bora in the meantime walked towards Suzy with a big smile. She stood in front of Suzy meeting her gaze, she shifted her weight to her left leg exposing her thigh that became visible because of the long slit of her black Armani dress. She leaned towards Woohyun for support since she felt her knees wobbling at the sight of her good friend who she truly missed.

Extending her arm towards Mr. Bae for a handshake and leaning her cheek towards Mrs. Bae for a kiss. Bora did not take her gaze away from Suzy, and vice versa. Once she stepped back in the assuring arms of Woohyun, taking her gaze away from Suzy she transferred her attention to Mr. & Mrs. Bae, "I apologise for coming without an invitation. Woohyun here, extended the invitation to be his date for the night" returning her gaze to Suzy. "I hope you don't mind. I would like to stay in your good graces Mr. & Mrs. Bae, since we've been family friends for more than 20 years now." Ending her speech with a smile she looked at both of the elders.

Waving her hand in front of her, Mrs. Bae responded, "Of course it's okay dear, I think it’s just that your invitation got lost in the mail." Putting aside the misunderstanding, looking at her husband he gave him the look of "Why didn't you invite her?" Getting her full focus back to Bora, she whisked both her and Woohyun to their assigned table.

Mr. Bae looking at Suzy with concern, "Are you okay princess?"

Forming a smile on her lips, Suzy assured her father "I'm okay Appa. You don't have to worry."

The rest of the evening was somewhat tolerable except for the fact that Sungyeol was by her side the whole evening who was acting extra careful and too nice for her liking, serving her hand & foot, like a puppy dog slave. At one point in the evening Suzy snapped at him, which Bora witnessed resulting to a giggle that she tried to hold back. Laughing loudly now, Sungyeol looked at Bora with an angry stare. Bora could not help it, she thought “Not because of the irony of the situation but rather because of the pained look that came across Sungyeol’s features.” “Karma’s sweet, serves him right!” Bora mumbled to Woohyun beside her.

Jieun who sat across Bora on the dining table watched the whole encounter between everyone. Suzy was sitting on the other table beside theirs, so it was only natural that they could hear everything. Nudging Sunggyu who sat beside her. Jieun saw that his cousin was gawking at Bora. Realizing why her cousin was like that, she slapped his shoulders. “Yah!”

Startled, Sunggyu dropped the fork he held, looking at his cousin with his eyebrows cringed “What?”

“Shouldn’t you wipe the drool that’s on your chin hmm?” Jieun responded with her eyebrows raised.

Embarassed Sunggyu grabbed the table napkin and started wiping his mouth.

“It was an expression, dear cousin. I was not referring to you actually drooling. You were just busy drooling over that Bora girl in front of you.” Jieun whispered sarcastically.

Blushing like a tomato Sunggyu chose not to answer her cousin and returned to eating his meal.

On the other table Suzy glanced at Jieun bowing her head she smiled at her. Jieun smiled back at her warmly. Jieun returning her attention to her meal, caught the eye of Woohyun who was staring at her curiously.

She mouthed to him, “What?”

“You’re displaced.” Woohyun mouthed back. Rolling her eyes, Jieun decided to put an invisible wall across her, completely ignoring Woohyun the entire night.

-Back to Present day-

Sleeping peacefully on the bench with her head resting on the back rest, Jieun found Suzy’s sleeping face rather “Angel-like”. Sitting beside her, Jieun got a thick brown notebook with gold edgings and a Fiber Castel pencil from her recycled design satchel that she sewed and recreated using her favorite cargo pants and jeans. Jieun started lightly sketching on her notebook with graceful of her right hand.

She was now on her lunch break instead of eating she decided to sketch to release the tension in her body. She found sketching flowers and trees very relaxing, and since she arrived in Korea her body had been chaos. Adjusting to the weather was one and the other she discovered that the press in Korea had nothing better to do but to follow celebrities and socialites around. She was not even both but being cousins with rich Sunggyu got her in this tight spot. Dropping her pencil on her lap, she closed her eyes, and breathing in the smell of fallen leaves she thought, “Maybe, Woohyun was right she was displaced, and being different, a newbie in fact the more the press found her interesting to write about.” Leaning abruptly towards the bench Jieun hit her head on the edge with a bang, “Ouch!” rubbing her head she cursed. Sensing a pair of eyes watching her she looked beside her and saw Suzy wide awake staring at her.

Bowing her head, Jieun looked at Suzy apologetically “Did I wake you?”

Smiling, Suzy looked up at the sky. Shaking her head, “You did not wake me. I was awake for a while now I saw you silently sketching then you stopped. What were you thinking about anyway? It was as if a lot of things were troubling you.” She turned and looked at Jieun who had eyes on her still.

“Nothing really…” Jieun replied, “It’s just that….” Smiling shyly she scratched the back of her neck.

“You’re not used to all the attention…?” Suzy finished for her.

“Wah…” Slumping her shoulders looking at Suzy with surprised eyes. “Do you happen to have the power to read minds?”

Covering with her fingers, Suzy giggled. “No. I don’t read minds. You just remind me of someone and both of you have the same dilemma. The only difference is that person was born in this world while you were born in a different one. So I understand why you’re not use to it for that person I don’t know the reason.” Standing up and shielding her face from the sun she looked down at Jieun. “I think we should go, our class will start soon, but before we go to class let’s grab a sandwich on the way. I’m starved.” Placing her hand on her stomach she smiled at Jieun.

Standing up, Jieun walked beside Suzy. “I was starving also, so good thing you suggested it.” Stealing a glance at Suzy, Jieun blushed. “I’m actually…I”

“Thankful that you found a friend like me…” Suzy finished for her again.

Jieun was surprised again, “I think you really have the power to read minds!”

Stepping in front of Jieun, Suzy h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter