Five

You've Got Some Nerve Howon

HOYA'S POV


“Shh. Don’t say a word. Just trust me.” The room is silent. There’s footsteps in the hall. Then they stop.

“You sure they went this way?” Manager hyung asks.

“Yeah.” An unfamiliar voice says. It’s a girl.

“Who are you guys looking for?” Jiyeon asks.

“This crazy boy Howon. He was with a girl.” Manager hyung says. I can picture him shaking his head.

“Ah. He was probably just showing Lori around. She’s new here. You know the class president always has to help out the new kids.” Jiyeon explains.

“Oh, well I guess we’ll start practice without him.” Manager hyung says.

The people move away and that’s when I realize I’m still hugging Lori. I let go. “Hey I’m sorry for-“I start.

“No, it’s okay. I understand. Your manager was just worried about you.”

The door opens and we both scream at the sight of Jiyeon.

“Gosh. I know I’m scary beautiful but that’s too much. I’m truly flattered.” She puts her hands over her heart.

Right. Whatever. “Thanks for helping me. That wouldn’t have turned out right.”

“No problem. I’m sure you would have done the same.” She says and walks off without looking back.

We continue walking towards the counselor.

“You guys work so hard to be famous. Why do you do it?” she sounds kind of sad.

At that second I know she’s never felt what it’s like to be on a stage. I laugh a bit at the thought of not ever having performed.

“Hmm. Well that’s a strange question. Well the fame is just a part of it. We do it because it’s what we love. Once you’re on that stage nothing else matters anymore. It’s a chance to finally show off all the hard work you put into it and it feels good that other people enjoy watching you."

“Performing sounds great, but I’m no good at singing or dancing.”

“Why don’t you try acting?” I suggest.

“Acting… that might actually work.” She smiles. We reach the counselor and she turns to look at me “Thanks Hoya.” She gives me a kiss on the cheek and goes into the room.

I stand there for a second. She just called me Hoya. Not Howon, Hoya. All day I thought she didn’t like me because she only called me Howon. But she said Hoya. I smile and walk back quickly. Then again no one can resist me.

As soon as I walk into the practice room I’m tackled by everyone.

“Hyung, who’s the girl?” Sungjong asks.

“She’s pretty.” Woohyun says.

“Very.” Dongwoo agrees.

“Yah kids break it up. Manager hyung wants to talk to you Hoya.” Sunggyu says.

Aish! These guys. Acting like they’ve never seen a girl before. Manager hyung stands in the corner with his arms crossed.

“I know I’m late. But I had to help the new girl. I’m sorry.” I bow a bit.

Hyung puts a hand on my shoulder. “I know. Take it away Sunggyu.” He says.

“Ye.” Sunggyu replies.

As we practice I can’t help but replay the moment she kissed me on the cheek. Lori, just who are you?

 

LORI'S POV March 14, 2010


"I can’t decide what to wear!” I say as I throw everything out of my closet.

“Why don’t you just wear this?” Jieun holds up a white dress.

“Nope. This won’t do. My closet it is. That’s why I left that bag with stuff in the living room.” Jiyeon says.

“But your clothes are too pretty!” I state.

“Exactly.” She says and puts down her phone. “Hold up, I’ll be right back. I know there’s something in that bag.” Jiyeon walks out into the living room.

“I don’t get it. Why is it so important?” Jieun asks.

“I don’t know. It just is.” I walk back and forth.

“I’ve got it. Here!” She tosses me a black miniskirt.

“Perfect.” I smile.

“And it goes with that shirt over there.” Jiyeon points at a white halter top that sits on top of the mess I made of my closet. “And those black heels too.”

“I still don’t get it.” Jieun says.

“Okay let me explain. We’re pretty sure Hoya likes Lori. He’s way too nice to her and he’s always helping her with everything. Lately the guys say that he’s pretty distracted during practice. That's just weird considering his attitude towards everyone else.” Jiyeon explains.

“So? That doesn’t mean anything. You need proof.” Jieun says.

“That’s what tonight is for. Think. What is today?” Jiyeon points at the calendar on my wall.

“March 14… White day?!” Jieun finally gets it.

“Yes. We might be going out to dinner with the guys as just friends. But if Hoya really likes her he’ll make his move. Especially with her looking like that.” Jiyeon signals for me to spin and I do. I have to admit it, I look great tonight.

Just then Jiyeon’s phone rings. “Myungsoo-ah. Yeah we’re going. Yeah, yeah,okay. Bye.” Jiyeon hangs up. “Well girls. It’s show time."