SC4: Second Best

Forever & Always {AWESOMELY COMPLETED}
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: Hello! Do you still remember me? It has been a loooong while (yes, years) since I've last updated my fics here in AFF. Anyway, here's a special chapter dedicated to Choi Siwon and Hwang Tiffany's son, Junmyeon. I've written this long long time ago and only able to upload it now. Hope you enjoy this update. Happy Holidays!

 

“Eunji-sunbaenim!”

I whirled around to see our student council treasurer running towards me. She handed me a folder containing the budget plan for the upcoming school festival.

“You have to sign this before I give it to Professor Kim Heechul for the final approval,” she told me. I skimmed through the papers and searched for my name.

Jung Eunji, Student Council President.

Reading President made me groan mentally. I was only second during the last election. I was only delegated as president because the student who won gave up his position and transferred to another school. I am also the second child in our family, the never favored kid since my oppa is always the best to my parents. In grade and high school, I also graduated as salutatorian. In every competition I joined at, I always bagged the 2nd prize. Worst—when I fell in love for the first time, I was only the second choice of the guy I like. So yes, I am Jung Eunji, cursed to be always second in my whole existence.

“Sunbaenim, I’m also hearing from the students that they wanted a party on the last day of festivities.”

“Not sure if we can accommodate that request—just the festival itself is a handful,” I replied hesitantly.

“We’ll take care of the party,” a voice interrupted us. We glanced at the owner and saw a smiling Choi Junmyeon.

He had been my classmate since first year college in BS Biology. This maybe the reason why he’s always kind to me—but dude, he’s Mr. Nice Guy of Seoul National University.

“The boys are all free this semester,” he said—referring to EXO, “no soccer practice to focus on, so, I volunteer my team.”

Their junior squealed in delight. “Thank you so much, Junmyeon-sunbaenim!” She was all smiles when she left us.

“You shouldn’t have said that—don’t give her false hope,” I told him bluntly.

“What’s wrong? I merely did something for the happiness of the whole school—besides, Uncle Heechul would surely support us.” He pinched my cheeks suddenly when I frowned at him. “Cheer up, Pres. I have one task unloaded off your plate. Now, let’s walk together to Biochemistry class or else we’ll be late.”

 

 

Then came lunch, and I was suddenly surrounded by 12 good-looking guys. I’ve got to give it to Hera and Chaeri for being able to stand these kids. It’s a complete riot whenever they’re complete. And here they are planning the party—loudly. Why am I even here? Junmyeon dragged me with him after our am classes.

“We need to have a theme,” Sehun voiced out.

Tao giddily suggested, “Masquerade!”

“Too common,” Kyungsoo quickly negated him.

“How about a Hollywood theme?” Chanyeol asked.

“God! We are not holding a Halloween party, Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo replied in exasperation. “Can’t you think of something elegant or classy?”

“Sorry—can’t help you, guys, brainstorm,” Baekhyun shrugged. “My brain can’t function well if I’m with Chaeri. ‘Coz all I think about is her,” he winked at his girlfriend.

I almost laughed when I felt Junmyeon literally cringe beside me. “Not in my presence, please, Byun Baekhhyun.”

“Maybe, we could do a Victorian-themed party and prepare a cotillion for 30 people,” Luhan finally said something sensible.

“Sounds like a plan,” Minseok uttered and everyone agreed to it.

 

 

The upcoming school festival proved how much of a true leader Junmyeon is. He led the boys in organizing the party. Even in a normal school day, he shows his charisma in leadership. Just like now, for our group research.

“How did you know that—that was awesome. I wish I could be like you. I always at these things.”

“Don’t say that to degrade yourself, Eunji-ah,” he chortled.

“It’s not like I’m not used to being a loser. I’m always second best in everything. It .”

“You should take a crash course on self-love from Kris—ouch!” he winced when I elbowed his side—stabbing his right rib. “I am gonna report you to the disciplinary office—this is student violence, Pres.”

I just shrugged and ignored him, diverting my attention to the thick book in front of me. Silence engulfed both of us as we concentrated on our readings.

“By the way, Eunji-ah,” he spoke.

“Hmm?”

“Has someone asked you out as date to the party?”

My eyes blinked as I stared at his serious expression while waiting for my answer. “W-what is it to you?” I stammered because suddenly, my heart beat weirdly.

“It matters because you are required to attend with a partner. He will be your ticket to the event,” he explained.

“Whose ridiculous idea was that?” my brows creased.

“Mine,” he smiled sheepishly. “I proposed that to the boys so I can ask Irene out.”

Hell yeah—Bae Irene, the prettiest girl from the tourism department—she’s definitely Junmyeon’s type. From beating rapidly, my heart stopped functioning and consequently broke into pieces. “I think I’m going to be sick on that day,” I muttered while looking away from the gaze of my first love.

“Geez—what a bummer.”

 

 

The following days, the cotillion participants began their practice. 15 pairs were handpicked by Mr. Kim for the dance and the list was posted in every department’s bulletin board. I didn’t read the names for I know only the popular kids will be chosen.

I just heard that Luhan and Baekhyun were paired with their girlfriends—not sure about the others. Even if I’m in the same class as Junmyeon, I never asked him. I started avoiding him because I hated the gnawing feeling inside me when I’m with him. Thus, I busied myself with org. works to distract myself.

I was on my way to the SC office when I passed by the soccer grounds where the cotillion participants were assembled.

“Line up, Kids,” Mr. Kim instructed.

“Samchon, I think we’re missing one girl,” Luhan pointed out. “Junmyeon doesn’t have a partner.”

“Impossible! There are 30 students on the list.” He did a roll call to check the attendance. “Jung…Eunji? Does anyone know her? Is she not informed about our practice today?”

My eyes bulged in shock. Did I hear it right? He called my name. Holy molly—they must not see me. I quickly ran away and hid behind a tree nearby. I don’t understand—why am I part of the line up?

“I know her, Samchon. She’s probably with the other Student Council officers. I’ll ask her to come tomorrow.”

Thank you so much for saving my , Luhan. But I still don’t like the idea of joining the cotillion—especially dancing with Junmyeon. My fragile heart simple doesn’t approve.

 

 

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Before I could reach the door, Junmyeon already blocked my way. “Home,” I answered him nonchalantly as if I haven’t heard anything yesterday.

Please let me escape. Please let me escape!

“What? Not yet.” He shook his head and unceremoniously held my right arm. “Didn’t you know you’re part of the dance?”

“Jeongmalyo?” I faked a surprised look—hoping he’d buy it. “But I don’t dance and most importantly, I have to run an errand on that day.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter