Fixed Marriage

Married to Mr. Arrogant

 

You almost choked as you settled the bowl of cornflakes that you’ve been gnawing for the past fifteen minutes. Your father Chun Han and your mother Min stared back patiently waiting for your reply.

                “A fixed marriage meeting?” you asked in rising hysteria. As you replayed in your mind the news your parents reported in full detail, your mother started to speak again but now you tuned her out.

                “~~~~, we don’t want to break this to you and we honestly dreaded it. But we couldn’t withdraw from this situation because we agreed to this before. We signed up for this. We know you’re too young…” Min took a deep breath and glanced at your father for help.

                He spoke calmly, “You’re going to get married ~~~~. And you’re going to meet him tonight in a fixed marriage meeting.”

                You replayed it twice more in your head and tried your best to absorb it.

                I’m going to get married? No way… no way! No way? You thought to yourself. You don’t want to believe it. You wanted to demand your parents how long they’ve been keeping this, how they could have the guts to take away your freedom of choice. Instead you pursed your lips and took your bag from the floor.

                “I’m heading for school. I hope by the time I’m back home, both of you will meant everything you said as a joke.” Then you hook on the straps before stalking out the house.

                “Aish! That girl!” you heard your father exclaimed gruffly.

                “Oh my nampyon *husband,” your mother sympathized. “She’s just shock, she’ll get through this later on in our meeting.”

                You shut the door harshly and stumbled outside to ride your bike to school. As you felt the wind on your hair, you thought what kind of boy you’d be forced to marry. What does he look like? Will you both get along well?

                It’s too early to think about things like that and you know you’ll never be prepared. You just hope the marriage wouldn’t be too soon. It’s just too crazy! It’s the 21st century already and how come a thing exists to the modern generation?!

                You tried to push the whole marriage subject away as you entered school. But your mind will never be at peace again.