The Tutor: Jerk

The Tutor/Second Chance

My parent's back yard was big enough to host a wedding so Ye-eun had her wedding here. The back yard is filled with lanterns, food, candles and flowers. Tents were set up and a DJ was hired to play songs and the dance floor was made of grass. It was beautiful, everything is beautiful but me. I'm the only ugly thing about this wedding. All I think of is "That should be me". Am I this selfish? I should be happy for my sister. I should not be frowning and throwing curses at the new couple in my mind. I feel evil.

"Earth to piggy."

Ugh! That jerk. I turn to YoungGuk and glare at him. Piggy princess, that stupid nick name he gave me in the fourth grade. It was during the spring festival. My class was supposed to create costumes to hand out fliers and candy. I was pretty princess because my dad always called me that and YoungGuk took the two PP for pretty princess and turned it into piggy princess. I was a kid then and yeah I was shorter and chubbier than other kids my age but why did he have to call me that in front of the whole school? I even had first graders laughing at me.

"Ha-eun"

"What?" I hiss.

"I said do you want to dance?"

"With you?"

"I don't see anyone else asking you." He looks behind him.

Jerk! Jerk!! Jerk!!!

"No thanks." I turn away and drink my sorrow away.

I don’t care if no one ask me to dance, I can have fun all by myself.

 

YoungGuk

Ye-eun and YoSeob are taking care of Ha-eun. She drink herself sick and the newlyweds are feeling sorry for her. Ha-eun is very honest when she is drunk. Everyone found that out when she was standing in front of the crowd crying into the microphone telling everyone why she hated her sister and YoSeob but love them as well. She said she had a crush on YoSeob since they were kids and that she will forgive them because she wasn't pretty enough for YoSeob and her sister was the better fit for the town's golden boy.

Ye-eun burst into tears after her parent's got Ha-eun off the stage and pulled her in doors. Like a good friend I comforted her until YoSeob came back and took over. YoSeob and Ye-eun my two best friends, I would have never thought they would end up together. I always thought it was going to be Ye-eun and I. We were always the troublemakers and YoSeob and Ha-eun were always the ones covering for us. But like Ha-eun I didn't think I was good enough for Ye-eun and moved to make myself better. I should have told her my true feelings before I left maybe then I would still have a shot at her.

I stand in the door way of the bathroom where the three are in and clear my throat. Ye-eun looks at me and walks out signaling for me to follow her. I follow her into her room and shut the door.

"She ruined everything." Ye-eun sat on her bed.

"It was just a little part at the end Ye-eun don't be upset."

"Why did she have to tell everyone that I took her man. He didn't even know she had feelings for him. I didn't do anything wrong did I?"

"No Ye-eun, you can't help who you fall in love with."

She sighs. "Since my mother and I moved in I always felt like...she was always the princess who ruins everything. I want to hate her so bad but I can't do that. Her father married my mother and took us out of the slum and into the wealthy side of town."

"I know. Look on the bright side, you're married to YoSeob now and you don't have to live with Ha-eun anymore. You won't have to deal with her any longer."

"Thank you YoungGuk, you're my best friend. All I have is you. You're always on my side."

 

Ha-eun

Whoever said sunglasses works as a disguise lied. People are still staring at me like some kind of freak. These sunglasses aren't helping. I walk into the cafe and stand in line to order my morning coffee. My mom made me coffee all week from instant powder and I really needed real brew coffee before I go crazy.

The girl takes my order of a large strong brew black coffee and I step to the side to wait for my cup. I take a look around the place and notice people still looking and pointing at me. What was everyone’s problem? Do I have something on my face? Or is my skirt tucked in in the back? I turn around to check and sigh in relief.

"What are you doing?" YoungGuk looks at my behind like I was earlier and I cover my .

"What are you doing here? The wedding is over shouldn't you be in Seoul?"

"I'm on vacation. What are you still doing here?"

"I'm on vacation too. I haven't been home in four years I should be here for my parents. I'm starting to regret my decision though."

"Why is that?"

"Everyone keeps staring at me like I'm weird. I know I acted a fool at the wedding but that was like a week ago."

He laughs. "Have you ever thought that maybe you are putting yourself out there for them to stare at?"

"What do you mean?"

He points to my sunglasses. I haven't taken them off.

"People around here aren't use to seeing people like you and I here. Take off the shades and they will stop looking."

I side the shades off my face and slip them into my bag. The girl behind the counter reads the order.

"Large, strong brew, no cream, no sugar."

"Me" YoungGuk and I raise our hands at the same time.

The girl looks surprised and looks at her screen. "Ha-eun" She calls.

I walk up to grab my cup and walk out of the tiny cafe. Moments later YoungGuk jogs up to me with his cup in his hand breathing hard.

"You drink your coffee black?" He asks.

"Yeah" I sip on my coffee.

"That's hot."

I glare at him knowing he wasn't talking about the coffee. "Eww don't say that to me."

He chuckles. "Why not?"

"Because I'm not one of your arm candy. Your flirting won't work on me."

He looks at me amuse. "You stalking me?"

"No, you're always on the news Mr. Millionaire."

"You shouldn't believe everything you see or hear on the news. I swear half of those girls that I went out with weren't true. I met most of them at the party and simply took a picture. I didn't bring them or slept with them."

"But you did bring and slept with the half didn't you."

I was accusing him not asking him and he didn't look happy.

"I didn't sleep with all of the other half either. What do you think I am?"

"A rich bastard."

He laughs shaking his head. "What are you doing today?"

"Why?"

"Is there a reason needed to hang with an old friend?"

"Old friend? I don't know where you got the indication that we were friends but I despise you as a kid. You were always mean to me and nice to Ye-eun. We are not friends."

"What are you talking about we are friends. You always tag along with Ye-eun as kids. We hang out a lot."

"That was back when I was in the third grade and you guys were in the fourth grade. I got the hint that I wasn't wanted around you three and stop tagging along with Ye-eun. We didn't hang out that much."

"Well the love birds are not back yet and you are here. We once hang out we can do it again."

I roll my eyes. Why is trying to hang with me? Didn't he have somewhere better to be? I stop walking. "Look, thanks for the offer but I don't want people to misunderstand. If we are spotted doing things together it will spread like wild fire. You know how small this town is and how fast news spreads. I don't want any troubles."

"I'm not asking you out on a date."

"I know but will people who sees us think that? No."

I continue walking and to my surprise he didn't follow me. Part of me was relieved but the other half was...disappointed? I walk into the post office and pulls out the mail I needed to mail out. I grab the pen provided by the post office to write my parent's address but the pen was dry out and no ink came out. I tap the pen on the desk, for some reason I thought it was going to help get the pen to work. I reach into my bag and search for a pen in my bag of junk. I swear the bigger the bag the more junk I stick into it. I try carrying a smaller bag before but it didn't have enough room for my stuff. I groan when I couldn't find a pen.

"Here"

I look up and YoungGuk was waving a pen at me. What is he doing here? I didn't hear him follow me I thought he gave up on annoying me but obviously he wasn't. But why am I even surprise? He's YoungGuk he lives to annoy and torture me in any way he can. I take it, the pen was a nice pen, heavy and writes smoothly. I hand it back to him murmuring a thank you as I walk away.

After the post office I decided to go into a old book store where I use to spend all my free time because my step sister hate me and I wasn't welcome to hang with her and her two best friend. I didn't want to hang out with them anyways YoSeob was nice to me back then but he was always paying attention to Ye-eun and YoungGuk, he was always calling me names and making me cry. I had nowhere to go and my school friends didn't live close by so I went to the book store and search for books to read.

The shop has been clean and organized. The old men who use to own the store had retired and his grandson had taken over. The grandson has added new updated books to his grandfather's old book collection bringing in new customers. I was looking through some older books when I caught YoungGuk in the corner of the room where the new books where at. He was looking through a book about pasta. Did he cook? I place the books in my hands down and walk out the door. I step to the side and waited. Moments later YoungGuk came out with the pasta book still in his hand.

"Why are you following me?" I ask crossing my arms on my chest.

"I'm not" He looks at me and then walks away.

"So you just happen to go to the post office and same book store as me?"

He stops walking to turn back around. "You don't own them I don't see why I can't go."

"You were following me."

"No, I just happen to be at the same place as you." He grins at me.

I roll my eyes. He was so following me. I walk off the opposite way and he came jogging next to me. I look at him and sigh; he wasn't going to leave me alone so I might as well make most of his presence.

 

YoungGuk

Ha-eun puts down the menu. I was sure she was going to try and shoo me away again after following her to the tofu shop but she made me help her carry two cases of tofu to my car and let me drive her to deliver the tofu to her father's workers. It was a gift from her to them. She wanted to give them beef but she had already gifted them that two days ago and they wouldn't accept it again so she got them tofu. Her act of kindness threw me off. I had always imagine her the geeky snobby princess who no one liked but she was showing a side of her that I never saw before. She was kind hearted not the rich girl Ye-eun had bad mouth about.

"Ready to order?" I ask her.

"Yep"

"What are you getting?"

"Pasta this is an Italian restaurant."

"Would you like wine?"

"No, I'm not drinking ever again."

I laugh at her remembering her drunk episode at the wedding.

"Shut up, my mom was not very happy with me and my sister. Oh gosh she must hate my guts." Ha-eun picks up her glass of water and takes a drink.

Hearing her calling her step mom and sister without the step took me by surprise again. This is twice from her today. When Ye-eun talks about Ha-eun and her dad Ye-eun always calls them step dad and step sister. I know Ye-eun doesn't really like Ha-eun growing up but now she is more accepting and comfortable with Ha-eun and her dad. Ye-eun always cried to me saying she felt like a burden living with the rich daddy's girl. She never felt like she was good enough to fit in the family. This was one of the reason we were best friends, we came from the poor we understood each other. She always said Ha-eun got everything her way and cried like a spoil brat if she didn't. I know a person changes when they grow up but in my mind I just always imagine Ha-eun the spoil brat and nothing more.

"Are you and Ye-eun close?"

Ha-eun looks at me surprised by my question. "Not really. I don't think she likes me. No wait I know she doesn't like me. As kids...you know, it was weird to suddenly have her in my life. I use to have my dad all to myself and then Ye-eun and mom came into our life. I felt like they were taking him from me. Daddy loved mom and Ye-eun was her daughter so they made a nice family but then there was me...I didn't feel wanted. I know it was hard for mom and Ye-eun to accept me too but I was a kid then, I acted like a spoil brat when daddy told me no. I wanted his attention. I was scared of losing him. I grew up while I was living by myself and change my ways, I use to have so much hatred but now I'm okay. I'm glad to have mom and Ye-eun. I wouldn't have the courage to leave if my dad was by himself. I'm happy he's not alone when I'm not around. I understand why Ye-eun dislikes me but I will be lying if I say I hate her as well. I always wanted a sister. Even though we weren't best friends we still held each other's secrets at one point in our lives. Even now that she married the crush of my dreams I don't have the right to be mad at her. She fits better next to him than me. She's beautiful and outgoing unlike me."

Her answer made me feel like the jerk she always claim me to be. I was mean to a girl not knowing she was hurting and did the only thing she knew to make sure she wasn't losing her father.

 

Ha-eun stretch her arms out once we got out of the restaurant making her shirt rise up and giving me a glance at her tone stomach. Who knew she would be that tone. Looking at her legs I figure she must do some running but wow she must work out.

"Thanks for dinner." She turns around.

"Thanks for the date." I .

"It is not a date jerk. My date would never call me piggy princess when I wanted desert."

I chuckle at her angry face, it's...cute?

"Anyways I'm gonna go."

"I'll drive you home."

"Nah, I have my bike."

"Why don't you have a car?"

She shrugs. "I like my bike, I bought it with my own money. Besides in the city I walk and take public transportation so there is no need for a car. I have my bike here when I come home so I don't need a car. Besides a car is a lot of money."

"Have your dad help you with it."

She shakes her head. "I stop living off my dad once I move out. I got a full ride scholarship and pick up a job to support myself during college. I haven't ask anything from my dad since then. Besides I don't need to, I have a job, if I want it I will save and buy it for myself."

I look at her in awe. Who was this girl again? Ye-eun got her car after finishing beauty school and still live with her parents up until she got married. Ha-eun left at the age of eighteen and supported herself until now and she was the rich girl not Ye-eun.