Second Chance: Iris

The Tutor/Second Chance

Ha-eun

I push YoungGuk into my room and shut the door. He turns around steaming angry.

"I have a three year old daughter? Why didn't you tell me?" He screams.

"How could I? If I told you I was pregnant I would have been stuck with you!"

"Is being with me that bad?" He threw his arms up and then grabs his hair.

Pushing him with everything I got I snap back at him. "You didn't want me! How can I be with someone who hated me?"

"I didn't hate you!"

"Yes you did! You blame me for Ye-eun's accident and miscarriage!"

"I was freaking out and you where the only one there of course I blame you but after wards I admitted I was wrong but you left without telling me!"

"So you're blaming me for this too?" I scream back.

The door burst open.

"Stop it!" Zelo came into my room without Iris.

"Where's Iris?" I started panicking.

"She's with Naeun. She heard you two arguing and it upset her. She's crying so you two better put your act together and find a way to work together because I will not stand by and let you two upset her."

"Oh gosh" I sat down on the bed feeling guilty for letting her hear us and making her cry.

"Who the is Naeun?" YoungGuk ask with his arms cross.

Zelo glares at him. "She's my girlfriend you ."

"Girlfriend?" YoungGuk looks at me then Zelo. "So you two aren't...together?"

"What?" I stand up disgusted. Did he really think I go for Zelo, his right hand man? "Are you stupid?"

"Eww hyung, it's not my thing to be taking other people's girl." Zelo chuckles.

"Then why did you leave?" YoungGuk looks at Zelo.

"I told you, I got bored and there was too much stress. I wanted to be a bum. I told you I come back when I was ready."

"I thought you hated me for Ha-eun."

"Oh I do." Zelo nods. "She's been through hell raising that little girl. As much as I hate you for doing what you did to Ha-eun Iris need you as well as she need Ha-eun. Iris has been waiting for you to come back from a business trip for three years and I think we owe it to her to get along for her sake."

I sigh, Zelo was right. "Fine"

We walk back out of my room and then to Zelo's apartment. Naeun was cleaning the dishes and pointed to the couch. Iris was sitting on the couch with her blanket and teddy bear wiping her cheeks. I walk over to her and pick her up kissing her chubby cheeks and whisper my apologies to her and told her how much I love her. Iris kisses me and told me she loved me too before reaching out to YoungGuk.

"Daddy"

Closing my eyes I let her go to him.

"I'm sorry I upset you." YoungGuk spoke to her with a soft tone.

"I forgive you." Iris hugs him. "Can you take me to school today?"

"I would love to take you to school."

"Mommy, daddy is taking me to school." Iris smiles at me.

I smile back even though I didn't like the idea.

 

YoungGuk

I let her go and I swear my heart broke so many times watching her go. Ha-eun is standing next to me waving to Iris. I stand up to watch Iris with Ha-eun. I wipe the tear in my eye away.

"Gosh you're worst than Zelo." Ha-eun shakes her head. "He cried after we got home."

"How can you do it?" I ask Ha-eun. "She's turning four only so why is she in school?"

"It's not like she's going forever, it's only four hours. She's in school because I have to work and Zelo can't watch her all day. He'll go crazy even with Naeun's help."

I follow her out of the building and towards my car. Ha-eun walked away from the building without looking back while I turn back every few steps to make sure Iris wasn't running back out. Ha-eun waited for me by the car with her arms cross.

"We need to talk."

"Yeah we do." I nod.

Ha-eun sat down across from me and orders a full western breakfast with orange juice. I did the same. Time has been good to her even after the baby. Her body has changed but it was for the better she had curves I don't remember seeing and her skin was glowing and flawless. Ha-eun looks up at me from her phone.

"I won't let you take her form me." She spoke.

"I'm not going to unless you make it hard for me to see her."

"I'll let you see her but on my conditions."

"Depends on what your conditions are."

"I'll make a list later and then let you know."

"Fine with me." I sigh slouching in my chair. "When's her birthday?"

"April 20th."

"So her birthday is coming up."

"Yeah she'll be four."

"Was she a good baby?"

Ha-eun nods. "She only cried for her bottle. She was a really good baby. I got my sleep at night unlike other parents."

"Did she ever ask about me?"

"All the time. She called Zelo her dad when she first met him. She was only two but once I gave her your picture and told her her dad was away on business she waited for you every day by the window hoping you come. Kids made fun of her for not having a dad and she'll tell them her dad was working. She only cried when she came home to tell me about it. She's so little but knows so much."

"She's a smart one."

"Please don't hurt her."

"I won't."

Ha-eun nods even if she didn't believe me.

--------

I tap my foot as Ha-eun called into work to make sure everything was going smoothly without her. Ha-eun came back over to me putting her phone  back in her bag. I stand up.

"Can we pick her up now?"

"It's only ten thirty. She gets out at one YoungGuk."

"Can't we take her out early?"

Ha-eun rolls her eyes at me. "Seriously? She likes school and it's only four hours let her play with her friends. You can play with her when she gets out."

"Will you let me?"

She sighs. "Yes. I know we aren't on good terms but I won't keep you from her. She's really excited to have you."

"Are you okay with me coming into your life like this?"

"I...I don't know. For Iris it's good. I guess its okay...kind of."

--------

"There she is!" I pointed to Iris.

Ha-eun chuckles at me.

"Daddy!" Iris ran to me and picks her up hugging her. "I draw a picture for you." She waves the paper in her hand at me.

"You drew me a picture?"

"Yeah"

"Thank you princess."

She giggles. "You're welcome daddy."

Iris reaches for her mother and I let her go.

"I missed you mommy." She hugs Ha-eun.

"Mommy misses you too."

Iris reaches back for me and I pick her up again.

"Ready to go play?"

Iris lights up. "Play?"

"Yeah."

"Can we go to the playground?"

"Anything you want princess."

She giggles again.

"Are you that happy to go play?"

"You called me princess. I'm not a princess."

"Well you're my princess."

She giggles again. "Yay"

---------

Ha-eun hands me a sandwich. She left Iris alone with me to go make something to snack on since Iris said she was hungry. We're in the play ground in front of their apartment building. Ha-eun calls Iris over to eat her sandwich and she came running.

"Yum grapes!" Iris picks up a grape and eats it.

"You like grapes?" I ask watching her eat.

"They're my favorite daddy."

"I'll remember that."

Iris smiles at me. "Daddy what's your favorite fruit?"

"Apples"

"Yum apples are yummy too but I like grapes better. Mommy likes peaches."

"Really?"

Iris nods. "Daddy"

"Yes princess?"

"Nothing I just like saying daddy."

I chuckle along with Ha-eun.

After we finish our snacks Iris ran back to play on the playground. Ha-eun was playing with her for a while before she came back to sit next to me. I kept my eyes on iris as she climb higher and higher on the jungle gym.

"Isn't she too high?" I ask Ha-eun worried.

"She'll be fine." Ha-eun looks at me. "It's scary being a parent huh?"

I nod.

"It's normal to be constantly at worry for their safety."

I nod again and continue to watch as Iris climb back down to climb it again. We continue to watch her play until Iris became tired. I die so many times watching her climb that stupid jungle gym again and again. I was happy when she ran into my arms. I carry her back to her room and lay her down to nap. With a kiss I wish her sweet dreams and close her door.

Ha-eun was waiting for me in the kitchen.

"Don't hurt her...that's the only thing I ask of you. You brought yourself into her life so please be there for her when she asks you to. Put her first and love her with everything you got."

"I will Ha-eun, thank you. Thank you for giving birth to her, for allowing me to be part of her life."

Ha-eun nods and points to the door. "You can leave now. When she gets up I'll let her know you'll see her tomorrow."

 

Ha-eun

I push Iris's door and walk over to her picking her up. She was up and crying. I wipe her tears and hush her to calm her down. She looks up at me with watery red eyes that broke my heart.

"Daddy left."

I nod.

"Why? Was I bad?"

"No sweetie you were so good daddy love you so much."

"Why did daddy leave?"

"Mommy and daddy...we don't get along. Daddy lives not far and he will be back tomorrow to play with you okay? It's not your fault daddy lives in a different house. Mommy is still mad at daddy for not wanting mommy."

Iris looks up at me and wipes the tears I didn't know were coming down my face.

"But he came back mommy. He want us."