Second Chance: For Us

The Tutor/Second Chance

YoungGuk

As soon as my father in law called me saying Haeun got into a car with a unknown man I dropped everything and packed Irisi and I a bag to go get our mommy. I didn't know who this guy was but I wasn't going to let Haeun go without a fight. We had come so far there was no more going back for us.

"Daddy hurry!" Iris said jumping around the front door with her little backpack on.

Iris was excited to finally see her mommy.

"Let's go bring mommy home princess."

 

Haeun

I was asked to make a report on Jay at the police station. I sat there over night going over details about what happened and giving all information I can about Jay to the police. It turns out he was caught with street drugs and a hazard to the public. He had attack three people so far for money to feed his addiction. He had come to me for money. The car he was driving wasn't even his.

After a night of no sleep I finally was able to go home. The police man who interrupted Jay was nice enough to give me a ride back home.

"Mommy!" Iris ran to me when I got inside the house.

I picked her up and hugged her for a while before I let her go. She was talking about helping grandma make pancakes and daddy watching television with gramps in the living room.

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask looking around at everyone.

"We came to take you home. We miss you." Iris held onto my hand. "Right daddy?"

YoungGuk appeared. "Right." He cross his arms on his chest not happy. "Princess why don't you go help your grandma finish the pancakes. Daddy needs to talk to Mommy."

"Okay" Iris ran off leaving me to face off YoungGuk on my own.

I headed to my room and he followed me. He waited until the door to question me.

"Where have you been? You're father called me worried that you left with some unknown man."

I sat on my bed and pat the spot next to me for him to sit but he wasn't moving. "Remember I told you about Jay?"

"Your loser ex who cheated on you." He nods. "Why were you with him?"

"I never told my parents about him remember and dad just got better. I didn't want to worry him about Jay...I just felt it was safer to talk to him away from the house. You know how my dad is with his gun."

"Okay, so why are you just coming in now? Where were you last night?" YoungGuk ask accusingly.

"I wasn't with Jay if that's what you're thinking." I answer back offended. "He might be my ex but there is nothing left between us to make me do something stupid like spend the night with him. I can't believe you even think that of me."

"I'm a guy I can't help it if I get possessive or jealous of my wife taking off with her ex. You guys felt something for one another before, those feelings could easily come back. With you out all night what was I suppose to think?"

I hate to admit it but he was right on some level. I was still a little mad he thought the worst of me but the way he's standing there across from me hurt and pissed off made me love him more than I was mad at him. Standing I walk over to him and hug him around his waist. He was trying to fight me but the longer I stayed there the less timid his body became.

"The whole time I was with him the only thing I thought about was you and how mad you'll be or how you'll come and take me away from him. There is nothing between Jay and I. I'm over him."

Finally he held me back squeezing the life out of me.

"I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too." I look up at his handsome face and kiss his stubbly jaw. "I like this." I rub his jaw with my fingers.

He grins at me and then tries to take a bite of my fingers. "Are you okay?"

I nod. "I was a the police station all night."

"What?" He pulls back angry. "What did that bastard do to you?"

I pull him back to hug. "Nothing serious, he's...he needs help and the police have a warrant out for him for possession of drugs. He was trying to get money from me. I was always the provider in our relationship and he thought he could get me back and then get money from me."

"Did he lay a finger on you?"

"Just a slap."

"Slap?" YoungGuk pulls me off of him and cups my face. "That en bastard, when I get my hands on him I'll teach him not to touch what's mine."

"I'm okay, I'm just happy that you're here."

 

YoungGuk

Waking up to my girls is one of the best ways to wake up. Iris refuse to sleep in her bed after we got home. She was scared that her mother was going to be gone when she woke up so Iris has been sleeping in our bed with us for two weeks now. We tried to explain it to her that Haeun wasn't going anywhere but she still won't sleep in her bed. Last night we thought we got her to sleep in her bed but during the middle of the night when Haeun and I were having our quality time together Iris came knocking and crying at our door. We gave into her and let her spend the night with us.

Haeun rolls over to face me and buries her face into my chest sighing. I kiss the top of her head smelling the rose shampoo that she loves to use.

"Can we just spend the day in bed?" She mumbles into my chest.

"Any thing you want." I answer petting her hair.

"But I have so much things to do today."

I chuckle. "Maybe I can help you."

"Maybe"

 

I don't know why females complain so much about grocery shopping, I'm having the time of my life. Haeun sighs next to me shaking her head. She has been doing that all day as I accompany her and Iris around town. I learn to just smile at her and not comment on her moody self. Iris grabs a bag of chips and throws it into the cart which is full. Haeun takes it out and put it back on the shelve.

"No more junk food, your daddy has bought enough to last us a month."

Iris pouts at Haeun and then turns to me to give me her puppy eyes.

"Just one more babe." I grab it but Haeun slap my hand away.

"No. You can't just give into her all the time YoungGuk."

"It's just a little bag of chips Haeun, no big deal." I grab it and place it in the cart rolling it away from Haeun.

Haeun mumbles a few words behind me and follows Iris and me as we head for the meat section. I grab a few bags of chicken since it was on sale and three pounds of pork belly. I was thinking we could have a barbeque tonight. Haeun stood silently a few feet away crossing out items on her shopping list. I told her to put it away and just buy whatever but she keeps insisting we stick to it. I can tell she was angry when she kept scribbling on the paper like a mad woman. I grab some slice beef as well hoping it will cheer Haeun up and then stroll to the cashier.

 

As we drove home Haeun stayed silent while Iris sing along to some Taylor Swift song on the radio. When Crayon Pop came on I started singing along with Iris hoping to get a reaction out of Haeun. Iris giggles in the back loving every moment of it. I kept glancing at Haeun to see if she would smile but she didn't even move a muscle on her face.

Iris and I help put away the groceries with Haeun before beginning to prepare dinner. Haeun reached into the pantry and pulls out a pack of ramen in silent and started to boil some water in a pot. I was hoping we have a family barbque on the table with the electric grill. I turn off the burner earning a glare from Haeun.

"Why are you eating ramen? I bought all the meat to grill tonight."

"You can eat whatever you want, I want some ramen."

I sigh dumping out her water into the sink. That made Haeun even madder.

"Why are you so moody today?" I ask crossing my arms on my chest.

"You seriously don't know why I'm being this way?" She mirror my stance.

"No so please tell me."

"I hate being the bad guy." She quietly spoke.

"I don't understand."

Haeun took a deep breath and step back ready to blow. "With Iris, I hate being the one to tell her no all the time. It makes it worst when you don't back me up. It makes me look like the bad guy in the situation all the time! I need you to take my decision into consideration too! I feel like you don't respect ME! When we were at the grocery store I told you no but you ignore me and put whatever you wanted in the cart. Same goes for Iris, when I told her no you don't listen and do the same. What's the point of asking me when you are just going to do it anyways? Do whatever you want, eat whatever you want! I don't care!"

She storm off out of the kitchen.

"Mommy?" Iris calls after her from the dinning table.

We forgot she was there. I thought I saw her run off with her bag of chips when we were putting away the can goods.

Iris jumps down from her chair abandoning her chips and ran off after her mom. I walk over to the stairs to stop Iris.

"Princess, why don't we let your mommy have some quiet time for a moment?" I gently spoke to her. She had tears in her eyes ready to fall out. "Why don't we cook mommy dinner? Mommy's been working so much lately I think she deserve a break."

Iris nods. "Can we bake mommy a cake too?"

"How about ice cream? You can make mommy a sundae."

 

Haeun

I didn't mean to raise my voice. I just got so mad at YoungGuk. I retreated into my home office and lock the door to clear my mind with some proofreading. I was an hour into my work when my phone started ringing. My assistant's name was flashing across my screen and I answered even though I hated when she calls me on the weekends. She was supposed to be at her mother's this weekend so why was she calling me?

"Yoona, why are you calling me on a Saturday night?"

"I just got the e-mail from work about the flash drive I gave them yesterday before I left. They can't find it and I need to send them another copy."

I groan. "Seriously?"

"I'm so sorry boss. I'm calling you because I left my work things at home when I came to my mother's."

"I'll have to go to the office. I left it there as well."

I hang up with Yoona after assuring her she still had a job. I couldn't afford to lose Yoona even after this mix up. I grab my office keys and a light jacket. I was going to tell YoungGuk I was leaving but he and Iris look like they were having too much fun in the kitchen so I left a note attach to the front door where they could see it and left.

 

After taking care of the situation at work I drove home tired and ready for bed. It took me two hours to get to the office and watch as my team assemble and took care of business before I left. I saw that YoungGuk had called me multiple times but I was still mad at him to answer. He even text me but I erased them before I even read them.

Opening the door I could see Iris sitting in the hall with her favorite blanket with red eyes and a tear streak face. I heart broke into a million pieces seeing her that way. I was so mad at her father I didn't think about how it affected her. She lifts up her face hearing me close the door and got on her feet to run to me.

"MOMMY!" She ran crying to me.

With open arms I gather her into my chest and kiss her head hushing her and telling her I was sorry. She clung onto me tightly saying she miss me and that she was sorry she was bad. I can hear YoungGuk walking over to us but he didn't join us on the floor where we were hugging and crying.

Iris let me go for a few seconds so I can take off my jacket then she was back to clinging onto me. YoungGuk even tried to get her to let me eat my dinner but she would cry when he took her from me. In the end I ended up sitting with Iris in my lap and YoungGuk feeding us. He hasn't said much to me yet but I can tell we were going to talk later when Iris was asleep.

Iris finally fell asleep after I held her in her bed. She kept telling me she will be a good girl from now on and ask me to promise her that I won't leave. I assured her I wasn't going to leave and promise her. She even ask her daddy to kiss me because I was home from work and he hasn't give me my kiss yet.

Slowly moving Iris I got up from her bed and went to my own. YoungGuk was still up reading a book in bed with the side table lights on. I went on with my normal bed routine and then climb into bed with him.

"Did you really go to the office? Or was that just an excuse to get away for a moment?"

"I did, Yoona called me about some files that were misplaced."

We fell into a silence before he started talking again.

"About today, I'm sorry I made you feel that way Haeun. I can't help it if I want to give Iris everything that she wants. I feel guilty for not being a part of her first three years. Buying what she wants when I can afford it is no big deal to me, she is mine as well as yours and I'm sorry for not taking your feelings into consideration."

"I'm sorry I yelled." I spoke quietly. "I just...I don't want to feel like the bad parent who always says no. I love Iris but I don't want her spoil. I want her to be thankful for all that she has."

He reaches over and held my hand. "I understand, I don't want to be that parent either."

"But we both have to. We have to have ground rules."

"Okay."

I move closer to him and laid down placing my head on his chest.

Wrapping his arms around me he spoke softly into my hair. "I love you, and I don't want you to think that I don't care about you or your feelings. I do care, a lot."

"You love me?" I look up at him.

"I love you and Iris more than anything or one in this world." He cups my cheek and then leans down to kiss me. "Marry me."

I giggle. "We're already married."

"Yeah but I never got the chance to do it right and we never had a wedding."

"I don't need a wedding." I hug him. "I have everything that I want and need."