Second Chance: Family

The Tutor/Second Chance

Ha-eun

Iris's giggles wake me up from my sleep. I turn around to look for YoungGuk but he isn't there. Iris giggles again and I get out of bed to go look for her. I follow her conversation with her father and find them in the kitchen. Iris is sitting on the kitchen island watching her daddy cook and making conversation as she wiggles her feet back and forth.

"Daddy what happen to your eye? Are you wearing make-up?

YoungGuk laughs at her. "Daddy ran into a wall."

"You silly!" Iris starts giggling.

"Good morning" I walk into the kitchen and they turn to smile at me.

"MOMMY!" Iris puts her arms up waving for me to walk over.

I walk over to her and kiss her. "How's my sweetie?"

"Hungry"

"Why don't you help mommy set up the table?" YoungGuk ask us.

"Can we go to the beach today?" Iris ask me in her best puppy pout.

"Anything you want." I kiss her and then pick her off of the counter.

"Can we have a beach party?" Iris looks at YoungGuk.

He smile wide for her and nods. "Anything for you princess."

"Can we invite Uncle YoSeob and Auntie Ye-eun and grandma?"

YoungGuk looks at me as if he was asking me if it was okay. I nod. I was fine with it. We came back to visit them didn't we? Even if my father isn't happy at the moment it'll be fine. He'll come around. While I wait for him to come around I'll catch up with my mother and sister.

I called Ye-eun and mom to come over for a family cook out. Ye-eun and YoSeob was here as soon as I called them. They were on their way over anyways. Mom arrived by herself. Dad was still not talking to me but it was fine. I'll wait for him to be ready. I did wrong I know I did and I'm admitting it but still it hurts that I'm getting the cold shoulder.

YoungGuk brings over a empty plate and sets it in the sink. Everyone was outside having a good time but I was here sulking. He rubs my shoulders and I relax.

"You okay?"

"Umm" I lean into his chest.

"He'll come around."

"I know."

He turns me around to face him. "Don't be like this...put on your smile and go spend time with the rest of your family out there. They love you and care for you. You sulking in pain isn't making it easy for them to approach you."

I push myself into his chest and wrap my arms around him. I really needed a hug. Everything happen so fast I'm so scared it all might be some kind of horrible dream. I'm scared that when I do wake up I'll be alone, YoungGuk won’t be here, Zelo and Naeun would be strangers, my mom will be back at home with my father and Ye-eun would be living her perfect life with YoSeob without me.

Ye-eun enters the kitchen with more plates. I push away from YoungGuk. Without telling him I wanted time with my sister alone he knew and squeeze my shoulder giving me strength before taking his leave. Ye-eun rinse the plates and places them into the dishwasher. She cleans her hands and then turns to me leaning against the counter keeping her eyes on the floor.

"She such a beautiful girl Ha-eun. Her smile and her laughter are a carbon copy of you. You turned into a great mother."

"Thank you."

"I'm happy for you...envious even."

"You envy me?" I tsk. "That's hard to believe."

"Oh? Why?"

"Because...look at you...you're perfect. Always have been and always will be."

"I'm not Ha-eun."

"Well to me you are...I always wanted to be like you. You always seem to be so put together."

"On the outside I might have looked like that but it's not the case all the time. You shouldn't want to be like me Ha-eun. I have baggage."

I admit I did hated her once because I was so envious of what she had and how she looked but now hearing this from her, we're not as perfect as we thought about one another. The grass really isn't greener on the other side.

"Who doesn't?" I grab her hand and squeeze it.

Ye-eun looks up at me for the first time since we began talking and smiles.

 

YoungGuk

I made sure I got there before he left the house. I waited for him on the porch and gather my courage to clearly speak my mind to him. Mr. Park comes out of the house ready to begin his day at the winery. I stand up and give him a respectable bow.

"Good morning Sir."

He doesn't acknowledge me. He passes me and continues walking to his truck. I turn around and watch as he got into his truck and drove off.

I got in my car and drove after him to the winery. His workers were already there to begin their day. Mr. Park sighs at my presence. I was trying to tell him I wasn't backing away easy but I didn't want to further piss him off so I tell him what I came here to say. My family was at home waiting for me to return with breakfast. I know what Ha-eun and I did was not right but this was not on purpose. We want to be forgiven but I didn't want Ha-eun to go on living with guilt, we have to move on and I'm doing so. We have a daughter to raise and if he wants to be part of our lives I'll let him come to us.

"I know I'm not your favorite person right now but I still want to apologize to you, Ha-eun and I didn't plan this and we never wanted to hurt anyone. Ha-eun feels bad about keeping her secret away from her parents but maybe she thought she was doing the right thing at the time. What's done is done. She's your daughter and I know you are not happy with her right now about her decisions but they are in the past, let's leave them there. Be happy and be a supporting dad to her. She needs you right now. She needs her family. She knows she did wrong and she's admitting her mistakes. We're going back today...whenever you're ready to talk to us or her call and we'll come."