Second Chance: Daddy-Daughter Duo

The Tutor/Second Chance

Ha-eun

My phone started vibrating on the night stand and jerks me awake by the loud noise. The phone went dead and then back up again when I started to fall back into sleep. Who was calling at this time? It was barely five in the morning. I reach over to the table and search for it.

"Pick up your phone." YoungGuk sleepily groans into my ear.

I hit his arms to let me go, he was all wrapped around me.

"I can't reach the phone, let me go."

He groans again disapproving but lets me go anyways. I sat up holding the sheet on to my chest and tap the lamp to turn it on. My phone was all the way to the edge on the other side.

"Hello?"

"Mommy?" It was Iris sniffling on the line.

"Sweetie what's wrong?" I sat up straighter and all the sleep in me vanished.

"Are you coming home?"

"I'll be home soon baby. Daddy and mommy are coming to pick you up later okay?"

"Okay. Mommy?"

"Yes baby?"

"Can I talk to Daddy?"

"Yes, hold on."

I poke YoungGuk. "Iris wants to talk to you."

"Iris?" YoungGuk sat up quickly and snatch the phone out of my hand. "Princess what's wrong?"

I could her Iris's mumbling voice wrapping her daddy around her little finger. She was such a daddy's girl and I knew one day it was going to all come back and bit YoungGuk in the if he doesn’t set rules with her. I didn't like to be the bad one all the time. YoungGuk kiss her through the phone and then hangs up.

"We're leaving first thing tomorrow." He sets my phone down next to his. "Iris isn't sleeping well."

I shook my head at him chuckling. "You're going to turn her into such a daddy's girl. She needs to learn that we won't always do what she says. If she wants something you buy it for her, if she wants to be picked up you do it as well. You have to set boundaries and rules for her. Like the other day I said no ice cream before bed time but she came to you knowing you won't turn her down and got what she wanted. She didn't sleep until one in the morning with all the sugar."

YoungGuk pulls me into his chest and wraps himself around me. "I said I was sorry."

"I know but still, you need to have a talk with her when we get home."

"Okay fine."

I shook my head at the daughter daddy pair’s hugging fest as I walk pass them to go to Naeun and Zelo. YoungGuk and Iris were acting like they've been apart for years. She talked non-stop about her weekend and YoungGuk listen and commented on her stories as if they were the only ones around. I thanked Naeun and Zelo for watching her and then made the two get into the car to head home.

Once home YoungGuk had Iris in his arms or on his back constantly. Iris only hug me because I ask her for one. Everything I told YoungGuk this morning disappeared. Before I left them alone to do some editing for work I told Iris no candy before lunch and she went to ask him. He gave her some cookies which filled up her small little stomach and made her not want to get a proper meal when lunch time rolled around. Iris came looking for me two hours later hungry and I fed her. We ended up eating a late dinner because Iris wasn't hungry yet when dinner time came. Iris knew I wasn't happy with her but she hid behind her daddy and he stood up for her when I nag her.

I let the pair played to their heart's content and went to sleep. Before I went to bed I told YoungGuk he was going to be the one who wakes her up the next morning because I know Iris wasn't going to wake up with less than eight hours of sleep. She gets cranky in the morning if she didn't get her beauty sleep. I told him I wasn't going to put up with it so he was going to be the one who deal with her tantrum in the morning. He told me it was okay and he got it so I let him give her cookies and ice cream before bed time.

 

YoungGuk

I tried to get Iris to wake up but every time I try to wake her she cries and kicks. I was regretting the decision to let her have cookies and ice cream yesterday night. Ha-eun was sticking to her words and was not helping me. I apologize and begged her but she said it was my problem. I walk back into our room to look for Ha-eun. I found her in the bathroom fixing her make-up.

"I can't get her up, I'm sorry help me." I plead.

"I thought you said you 'got it'" She kept her eyes in the mirror.

"Well I obviously don't. Please Ha-eun, I'm sorry." I walk up behind her and wrap my arms around her waist. "I will listen next time."

She jab me in the stomach with her elbow and walks out of the bathroom talking to herself. I couldn't hear her but I know she was talking about me and cursing me. I followed her out and into Iris's room. Ha-eun sat down on the edge of the bed and gently shakes her. Iris stirs groaning.

"Iris, it's time to get up sweaty. Mommy has to go to work and you have school."

Iris began protesting. "No"

"Come on sleepy head. Mommy told you not to eat cookies and ice cream before you sleep but did you listen? Mommy knew you wouldn't be able to sleep and be cranky in the morning."

"No" Iris cover her eyes and begins to cry.

"Yes, come on." Ha-eun pulls the blanket off Iris and lifts her up.

Iris was rubbing her eyes as Ha-eun carried her to the bathroom but she wasn't happy about waking up. I let Ha-eun wash Iris up and brush her teeth while I went down to the kitchen and get breakfast ready for Iris. Ten minutes later Ha-eun was holding hands with a sleepy Iris down the stairs. I wanted to help Iris up onto her chair but Ha-eun shook her head and I stop. I watch as Iris got into her chair and handed her her bowl of cereal.

"I'm late." Ha-eun glares at me as she grabs an apple out of the fruit basket and ran out the door.

I look at Iris and watch as she slowly eats her breakfast. Ha-eun was right. Iris had me wrapped around her little finger and I can't do anything about it. By the time I got Iris to school she was five minutes late and I was late for work as well. I learn my lesson; no sweets before bed.

When I got home Iris was coloring at the dinner table and Mrs. Nam was cooking dinner. I was surprised to see Mrs. Nam since she usually left after Ha-eun came home. I kiss Iris hello and put down my brief case.

"Where's your mommy?" I ask Iris.

"Work."

"Work? It's dinner time already."

"Ha-eun said she'll be in late tonight. There was a work emergency so she had to stay." Mrs. Nam set the table and took away Iris's coloring.

I thank her and then tried to get her to stay for dinner but she refused. Once dinner was eaten and Iris was clean we watched a little television before bedtime. I refuse iris a cookie and made her get into bed. She wasn't happy about me saying no but she still asks for a bed time story indicating she wasn't too mad at me. After the story I tuck her in.

"I think mommy is mad at me." Iris spoke.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because I ate the cookie and did not sleep."

It amazes me at how smart she was.

"Mommy is mad at both of us."

"Can we buy mommy flowers to say sorry?"

"I think that's a great idea. Let's pick out some flowers on Friday and surprise her at work okay?"

"Okay daddy!"