Second Chance: Reunion

The Tutor/Second Chance

Ha-eun

Iris couldn't keep the smile away when she woke up to YoungGuk and I sleeping beside her. He was right, she needed both of us and it wasn't going to work if we were in two different places.

We took her to school together earning the biggest smile on earth and stop by a cafe for breakfast. The morning was going well.

"How are we going to tell my parents?" I ask stirring my coffee.

He looks at me with a arch eyebrow. "We? What you talking about WE? You mean you."

"You knocked me up." I answer a little too loud. I look around in case someone was paying attention to us.

"Hey that took both of us to do."

"Excatually that's why it's going to take BOTH of us to tell my parents."

YoungGuk smirks. "You're dad's going to kill me." Shouldn't he be scared instead of smirking?

"We can send them a card."

"A card?" YoungGuk looks at me like 'are you serious?'

I shrug. "No? What about a text?"

"Are you serious right now?"

"Yeah, remember my dad has a gun we don't want to be anywhere near him when he gets the news."

"Let's go see them after we sign our marriage certificate."

I sigh. "Fine kill yourself."

 

YoungGuk

Zelo and his girl Naeun happily agree to be the two witnesses for our marriage license. It was a quick process with some inside help and we were quickly married. Sure I felt bad for not giving Ha-eun a dream wedding but if she wanted that I have no problem giving that to her. It just has to be later when I find the time.

Iris is sleeping in the back of the SUV hugging her teddy bear. She was so excited to go met her grandparents she didn't sleep much last night. Ha-eun is freaking out beside me as we get closer to her parent's house. She spoke to her parent's yesterday for the first time in years but she didn't inform them of Iris or of our marriage. She just told them she have something to tell them. She told me it wasn't polite to tell them these important things over the phone.

I grab one of her sweaty hand. "It'll be fine."

Ha-eun exhales. "Whatever you do don't leave my side. If my daddy get's you alone I don't know what he's going to do and I don't want to think about it."

"I'll be fine."

"I'm serious YoungGuk. Don't wander off with him alone."

She was over reacting. I said nothing else and just nodded.

As the white farm house appears in front of us Ha-eun started shaking. I reach over to her and offer my hand for her to squeeze. She took it and with all her might squeeze the out of my hand. She was one strong girl.

Behind us a car was pulling up the drive way as well. I could see YoSeob and Ye-eun in the car. I had called them and told them we were going to be in town for the weekend. I told them we had something to share with them but didn't tell them about Iris. Ha-eun didn't want me to tell them, she even follow me around the house as I spoke to them to make sure I kept my lips seal.

Ha-euin was the first to get out of the car. Her parents came out of the house hugging and crying because they miss her so much. She was crying herself. I walk behind her and YoSeob and Ye-eun came over to welcome us back.

After greeting her parents Ha-eun walks to ma and I entwine our fingers together. Her dad was not too happy to see our action but her mother and YoSeob was beaming with happiness. Ye-eun surprised me by being just as happy as YoSeob.

"We have something to tell you guys." Ha-eun spoke squeezing my hand for courage. I squeeze back telling her it was okay. "We're married." She held up her left hand to show her wedding band and diamond ring.

Her mother and Ye-eun gasp while YoSeob smirk and her dad didn't look too good.

"When?"

"How?"

"OMG"

Were the responses from them all at once.

"Okay we need to get inside and talk about this. I need a drink." Ye-eun suggested.

"We have something else we need to tell you guys." I let go of Ha-eun's hand and walk back to the car. Iris was awake and out of her car seat looking out the window. She smiles at me from inside and wave to me. I open the door and pick her up in my arms.

OH MI GOD came out of everyone's mouth when they saw Iris. She was a little shy but she wave to them with one hand while holding onto me with the other.

"Everyone meet Iris, our daughter."

Ha-eun's mother was sobbing and walking up to Ha-eun to hug her. Her dad looked at Iris with so much love I knew he wouldn't be able to say no to Iris with her requests. YoSeob and Ye-eun approach Iris and I saying hello and getting a better look at her.

 

Ha-eun

Mom and Ye-eun had Iris sitting in the middle of them looking through baby pictures of Iris. YoSeob was with YoungGuk catching up on life and my dad was nowhere to be found. YoungGuk and I had explained everything to them over dinner and even though everyone was not happy about my decision they were happy I was back and I was giving Iris a chance to meet her family.

My dad didn't say much to me. He had a frown on his face and wouldn't even stay for desert.

Iris loved everyone and even gave my mom the name nana. My father hasn't approach her yet and she told me she was scared of him earlier. I told her he was just having a bad day and that she should do something to make him smile but she didn't want to and ran off to her favorite auntie Ye-eun and uncle YoSoeb.

I walk into the kitchen to help my mom with the dishes but she was already done and putting dishes away. She told me to go talk to my dad and make him understand me and my decisions so I went looking for him. I went into the garage to look for him but he wasn't in there. I walk out and down the backyard where the small stream was, I saw him with YoungGuk. They were just talking but I know it wasn't all they were doing. I ran towards them when I saw my dad swing and connect his fist with YoungGuk.

"Daddy stop!" I scream running.

Why did YoungGuk not listen to me when I told him to not be alone with my dad?

"STOP!" I scream when daddy swings and hit YoungGuk to the ground. YoungGuk wasn't fighting back and my dad was just going at him.

I grab my dad's fist and held it. He turns to me and I shiver. He wasn't one to mess with when he was angry.

"Please daddy stop."

He stands up leaving YoungGuk and I on the grass. "Leave"

"Dad"

"I said leave!"

"Please dad" I beg for him to listen but he wasn't going to.

"You don't come home for years and then when you do you come back with a husband and child. You acted like we aren't family and you kept everything away from us. Go back to your life and don't contact us again. You seem to prefer it that way so let's keep it that way. You are not my daughter."

 

YoungGuk

"Don't hit my daddy!" Iris ran out crying.

She approached Mr. Park and hit her little fist on his leg crying. Mrs. Park came running to Iris and picks her up. "its okay sweetie Grandpa is just playing with daddy. Come with grandma okay?"

Mrs. Park picks up a crying Iris and went back to the house to Ye-eun and YoSeob. Mr. Park was standing above Ha-eun and I still. He had said something he would regret but I was letting it go since I know he's angry at us right now. When he calms down we will talk again. He walks away from us and towards the garage.

Ha-eun is sobbing in front of me. Her father just disown her and it was no one's fault. I wrap my arms around her.

"It's okay Ha-eun."

She shook her head.

"We'll talk to him again when he calms down. He didn't mean what he said babe."

She turns around to cry in my chest.

I shush her and rub her back to calm her down. "I'll make sure everything is taken care of before we leave okay? Everything will be fine."

Ha-eun pulls back wiping her tears. "I'm sorry." She touches my face. "Are you okay? Does it hurt?"

I flinch when she presses a spot near my eye but I assure her I'm fine and pick us up off the ground. "Let's go to my beach house for tonight okay?" I wipe her cheeks with my thumbs. "Let's go get Iris with a smile okay? We don't want to upset her."

It was hard for Mrs. Park to let Iris go but we had to. Mr. Park hasn’t come home yet and it wouldn't be comfortable staying with them. We still have all day tomorrow and Sunday to talk with him. Even if he doesn't want to talk by Sunday I'm making him talk. Iris fell asleep in the car on the way to the beach house so we haven't gotten time to talk to her about what happened. Ha-eun tucks Iris into one of the rooms and came back down stairs with the first aid kit. I already clean my cut but Mrs. Park didn't have the ointment for it. Mr. Park might be old but he could pack a punch and it hurt.

Ha-eun kneels in front of me and pulls out a cotton swab and the ointment for my cut. Carefully she brush it on my cut.

"You're going to get a black eye tomorrow."

I shrug. "It'll heal. Besides I think I deserved it."

"Is that why you didn't hit him back or try to stop him?"

"I didn't hit him because he's your father and my elder. I didn't stop him because he has the right to be angry. I knocked you up and you ran off for four years with no contact. And when you did you're not his little girl anymore. I took you from him."

"He went overboard with it. You shouldn't be hurt. He shouldn't have scared Iris."

"I know baby."

I stand up and pull Ha-eun up as well.

"Let's get some shut eye it's been a long day."