Second Chance: Six Months Later

The Tutor/Second Chance

Haeun

My parents invited us over for a weekend at their house to celebrate my nephew coming into this world. It was the same thing they did when we introduce Tristan to them. They didn’t treat Tristan any different from Iris and completely accepted him.

Slowly we’ve been working with Tristan on talking but still there seem to be no progress. He’s a smart boy and he understands us all but he wasn’t talking. The doctor said he was fine and that when it was the time for him to talk he would.

It’s Saturday night and we had just finish eating a big meal made from the day’s fishing trip catches. Since my sister and I cooked my parents wouldn’t let us clean and kicked us out of the kitchen. Yoseob and my sister had their first kid last month. Tristan has taken the role of big brother to the baby and stuck next to the baby’s side. Iris was getting a little jealous of the baby getting all of Tristan’s attention but he knew when to give her just enough attention to make her happy.

I’m sitting next to Yongguk talking and laughing to my sister when Tristan turns around to frown at me.

"Mommy shh"

Everyone stop talking in shock. His first words.

"Oh my god." I turn around to YoungGuk. "He talked!"

Tristan puts his finger in front of his lips and hushes me again.

"Shh baby sleeping." He went back to looking at the baby sleeping and lightly rocks the basket.

My eyes got watery hearing his few words. Iris walks into the room with Yoseb and ran over to me worried.

“Mommy why are you sad?”

“Oh baby I’m not sad.”

“Why are you crying?”

“These are happy tears sweetie. Mommy is just so happy to hear Tristan talk.”

Iris looks at me like I lost my mind and shrugs. "Tristan talk all the time."

I look over to Yongguk to see if he knows what Iris was talking about but he just shrugs. We turn our heads to the children. Iris was sitting next to Tristan as they sat quietly with their new cousin.

Yongguk wraps his arms around me and kisses the side of my head.

“I guess he fooled us didn’t he?”

I chuckle. “Our little genius.”

He nuzzles my neck. “I think we should get started on baby number three. Seeing Yoseob’s cute little boy is making me jealous.”

I roll my eyes shaking my head. “I think we should wait just a little bit. We just got Tristan not long ago.”

He pouts not happy with my answer.

I giggle at his pout and kiss his cheek. “But we can always practice.”

“Oh” He wiggles his eye brow making me laugh louder.

“What’s so funny mommy?” Iris squeezes in between Yongguk and I and sits her little behind between us breaking us apart.

“You want to know what’s so funny?” Yongguk asks.

Iris nods.

Yongguk grabs her and start kissing her all over her face. Iris giggles her little off wiggling around to break free from her daddy but Yongguk had a pretty good hold of her to make her escape less possible. Tristan walks over to me rubbing his eyes.

“Mommy” He quietly spoke.

I could feel the tears coming again but held them back.

“Hey baby boy, are you getting tired?”

He nods and I pick him up to hold him. He places his head on my chest and wraps his arms around my waist. We watch as Iris breaks free from her daddy and then runs off into the kitchen where her grandparents are. I watch as she runs to them and asking for help so her daddy won’t catch her. Yoseob ran up to her offering to help her but as soon as she was in his arms he was tickling her.

I look around me and see all the people who mean the most to me happy. I think of how all this started from my mother passing to college and then coming home for the wedding I knew nothing of and of the wrong I did trying to break a happy couple apart. I have done some bad things in my life but because of those bad decision I am who I am today. Because of second chances I am a mother of two beautiful children, a wife to the most awesome husband, a better daughter to my parents and a sister.

The END.