Episode 3

Darkened Skies and Surprises

It’s been two weeks, and there was still no sign of Lay. Kyungsoo didn’t want to show that he was worried, but deep inside he was, somehow (and he didn’t want to admit this either), the house felt much safer with the healer around, just knowing that if they did get into any trouble, they would be fine.

But Yixing hadn’t even called.

They weren’t even sure if he knew their house number or mobile numbers.

Zitao was out of the house a lot now, considering he worked all weekdays for about 7 to 10 hours a day, the pay was amazing though, and the good thing about it was that if Zitao felt homesick or something similar, he could work from home and continue to send in his documents.

The boy always went on about how Kai was such a good boss, and how he never stopped talking about Kyungsoo.

The middle brother knew Tao was trying to set them up.

He could feel it.

Lu Han was forever practising, waiting for Yixing to come back so he could show him how much he had improved – which was a lot. He was starting to be able to move objects with his mind only, no actions, but it was hard. Just now, he was at the level of being able to move pencils with just his eyes.

But still, he was progressing.

Zitao, whenever he was off of work, practiced a little too.

Still, he wasn’t able to stop time as much as he did the first time, and it was still confined to a small space or a room. But he did use this power to get a couple of extra hours of sleep, although time still passed outside of his bedroom. It really annoyed his two older brothers when he did do that.

Kyungsoo still hadn’t tried to use his power.

That bit of fear still hung low in his stomach, and he didn’t want it to overpower him even more. So he continued to pretend that he didn’t have that power, and he tried to stay as calm as he could.

Currently, Kyungsoo was on the couch watching television with his older brother, waiting for the youngest to come home from work. It was currently 8pm, and when the door swung open, someone they didn’t expect entered.

And it made both of them boys stare at him with wide eyes.

“Lay!” Kyungsoo and Lu Han shouted in unison as they stood up and ran over to the boy who they hadn’t seen in two weeks.

The healer smiled at them and chuckled when he was tackled by hugs.

“Miss me?” he asked, and the two boys coughed nervously and straightened up.

“Where have you been?” Lu Han asked, nudging the other’s shoulder playfully.

The healer sighed and moved passed them before he sat on the couch, waiting for the other two to join them.

“A friend of mine called me back to his, to discuss you three.” He explained, and the other two just stayed silent as they waited for him to continue. “It was basically a check-up, so don’t worry. However, we also tried to find out the identity of the person who attacked you.” There was silence as Yixing took a deep breath. “We found no record of him anywhere.”

Kyungsoo sighed and leaned back, his shoulder started to ache as he remembered the injury he gained a while back.

Lu Han sighed.

“Is he going to come back?” he wondered, but Lay shrugged.

“I don’t know. But I think you are safe for now.”

Both of the other boys took a sigh of relief.

Lay smiled before he turned around and began to glance around the house.

“Where is Zitao?” he asked, but as soon as he did, the entrance of the house opened again and the mentioned boy stepped through, shrugging his shoes off and hanging up his jacket before placing his bag to the side.

When he treaded through the hallway, he stopped when he saw someone else in the room.

“Lay?” he whispered, and when the healer stood up, Zitao smiled. “Hey! Glad to see you’re back again.” The boy said before shaking hands with the other. Lay smiled back and nodded.

“Nice to see you again.” The older whispered. “How was work?” he asked, and immediately Zitao’s face darkened. “That bad?” he asked, and the younger shook his head before smiling.

“Just hard work is all.”

Lay smiled and nodded before moving back to the couch.

As they all sat, an hour later, Zitao was currently lying on Lay, sleeping peacefully as the rest just continued to watch television. Kyungsoo was about to fall asleep too – considering it was only about to turn nine, he felt obliged to stay up – but Lu Han was wide awake, happily watching his favourite program on the television. Just as the middle child was about to fall asleep, there was loud knocking at the door.

Tao shot up immediately.

“Who could that be?” he asked, clutching onto lay’s arm just by instinct. The other two shrugged before Lu Han stood up and walked over to the door, opening it and squinting at the stranger in front of him.

“Uh, can I help you?” he asked, and the tall stranger in front of him nodded.

“I’m looking for Kyungsoo.” The dark stranger said, and Lu Han squinted his eyes suspiciously for a moment.

“And you are?” he asked.

The stranger chuckled before he removed his hat and let Lu Han see his face before he gave a kind and comforting smile to him, bowing politely and apologising for his rudeness.

“Forgive me. I’m Kim Jongin, Zitao’s manager?” the boy said, and the other nodded his head in realisation. He had heard about this one, whose other name must be Kai, and he put a finger out to motion for the other to wait a minute before he turned around and moved back into the house. “Kyungsoo? That Kai guy is here for you.”

Kyungsoo’s and Zitao’s eyes widened at the same time.

“What?” Kyungsoo asked, gulping at the situation whilst Tao just chuckled.

“Can you get me a promotion?” he wondered, and he just got hit by his older brother. Lay chuckled at the scene but just stayed silent as Kyungsoo stood up and walked over to the door, taking a deep breath before he opened the door again and he stared at the man in front of him.

He really wanted to know why he was here.

“Um, Kai, what are you doing here?” Kyungsoo asked, looking at the clock on the wall beside him once more. “It’s 9 o’clock at night.”

The one in front of him smiled before shrugging.

“I just got off work, so I came to see you.” Kai explained, stepping inside without a formal invitation but he looked back at the other. “I hope you don’t mind. “The boy smiled kindly. Kyungsoo gulped a little before he shook his head.

“Um, of course not. What is it… that you wanted?” The older asked, folding his arms over his chest and trying to look stern and serious.

Not nervous or embarrassed before the other was actually here surprisingly.

Kai chuckled.

“I already said, to see you.” Kai said, moving forward and putting his hand on the other’s shoulder.

Okay, Kyungsoo was getting very nervous.

Sliding out of the other’s touch, he chuckled nervously before he leaned against the wall.

“It’s very late Jongin.” He said, trying to keep on a straight face.

The other sighed and smiled.

“Well then, are you free tomorrow?” Kai asked, his eyes hopeful. Kyungsoo bit his lip as he thought. Of course he was free – he never ever done anything – but he was thinking about whether he actually wanted to go out with his little brother’s boss and risk screwing his job up.

But then again, Jongin was really handsome, and he did come all this way to his house just to ask him out.

Sighing silently, he nodded slowly and he watched as Jongin started to grin.

“Great! I’ll pick you up at one, okay?” he asked, and as the other nodded, Kai chuckled before he moved through the door again and waved behind him before he entered his car.

Kyungsoo shut the door and sighed.

When he returned to the living room, the other three were grinning like maniacs at him.

“Whatever.”

Zitao was at work, Kyungsoo was on a date, so Lu Han and Lay were currently alone in the house, feeling rather bored. They had tried to work on Lu Han’s powers, but neither were up to it.

Lu Han sighed as he kicked his feet up on the table.

Maybe he could use this time to squeeze some information out of their healer.

Turning to him, he nudged him slowly.

“So Yixing, tell me who you went to see.” Lu Han said, smiling mischievously.

The healer sighed but he decided to have a small chat with Lu Han since it was only they two in the house.

“My friend, his name is Kim Joonmyun.” Lay explained, and Lu Han nodded.

“How does he know about us?” Lu Han wondered.

“I’ve known him for a long time, he was the one who told me of my very own powers.” Lay explained.

The other nodded his head in approval of the other’s explanation, but then questions kept appearing in his mind.

“Does Joonmyun have a power?” he asked, bringing his knees up to his chest as he got more comfortable.

Lay nodded.

“Yeah, he can control water and create it.”

Lu Han’s eyes widened in amazement. The scene playing in his mind was amazing and he really wanted to see it.

“That sounds awesome! Can I meet him?” The older bounced in his seat, but he stopped when the other shook his head as a ‘no’. “Why not?” Lu Han asked, pursing his lips into a pout. Lay sighed before he explained.

“No, it’s not the right time for you to meet him just now.” Lay explained.

Lu Han frowned.

“Why?” he asked again.

“It’s complicated, sorry.” The healer whispered, feeling bad that he had to be so puzzling, but it was only proper. The older sighed before he nodded and smiled at him.

“It’s okay.” He replied.

As they smiled, they heard the door getting banged open. They jumped on their seats and stood up, immediately running to the door before they both gasped at the sight they were met with. Lay immediately closed his eyes as Lu Han just stared in amusement at what he was watching.

He had no idea Kyungsoo was such a straight-forward guy.

Kyungsoo wrapped his arms around Jongin’s neck, pulling him closer as their lips passionately touched, mewling softly as he felt the other push him up against the wall, and shove his tongue into his mouth. As he ran his fingers ran through Jongin’s hair, he closed his eyes as he thought about what he was really doing with Zitao’s boss. He wasn’t usually like this, he wouldn’t naturally make out with someone he didn’t even know, but Kai’s touches and mouth was too addicting for him to leave him alone.

Jongin placed his knee between the other’s legs, smirking as he heard the other’s shaky moan leaving his throat.

Separating, he moved to the older’s ear before he pressed his lips against it, softly kissing the other’s earlobe.

Kyungsoo let his head fall back a little as he felt the other’s knee rub against his crotch.

Turning to the side, he noticed two people staring at him.

And then he remembered exactly where he was, and exactly what he was doing, and who he was doing it with.

Bringing up his hands, he pushed Jongin away and gulped before he pushed him right out of the door, shutting it hard as he lay against it, panting hard and trying to ignore the stares of the other’s in the hallway.

“Uh… have fun?” Lu Han asked, smirking along with Lay.

Kyungsoo’s face turned even redder before he shook his head and moved into the kitchen.

Lay and Lu Han closely followed behind.

“Come on, spill the details!” Lu Han shouted, leaning on the table.

Lay chuckled.

“I think we’ve seen the details already Lu Han.” He said, and Kyungsoo huffed as the embarrassment grew once again. Trying to ignore them didn’t even seem to be working at all.

Kyungsoo shook his head.

“Ugh, just leave me alone.” He said, trying to get the image of Kai out of his head.

Lay and Lu Han glanced at each other once again before chuckling.

Just then, the door was opened and the youngest boy came in, his skin trembling as he stumbled all over the hallway. Grinning, Lu Han turned around to face Zitao, but the smile was quickly washed off of his face as he noticed the state the other was in and his eyes widened.

“Tao!” he shouted, running over to his brother who was leaning against a doorway with all of his strength. His outburst notified the other two who rushed over to Tao as well.

The boy looked beaten up.

His hair was a mess, there was bruises over his neck and arms, and his clothes were nearly ripped to shreds.

It looked like he had been attacked by a large dog.

“What happened?!” Lu Han shouted, holding tightly onto his younger brother’s hands as he tried not to hurt him. Kyungsoo stared at Lay who nodded and began to get started on the boy’s wounds, healing him slowly.

Tao took a deep breath as he tried to regain enough strength to speak.

“A-Attacked… on… w-way… h-home.” Zitao whispered, stuttering the whole way through as he winced when he felt the wounds closing up. Kyungsoo’s hands clenched into fists at the thought of someone hurting his baby brother. Anger began to boil up inside of him.

“By who?” The eldest asked, but Tao shook his head slowly.

“Don’t… know… l-looked like… a-an… a-a-animal…” Zitao managed to slip out before his eyes shut and he quickly and without a warning fell unconsciousness.

“He can’t come in today.” Kyungsoo spoke through his phone, sighing when he heard Jongin trying to convince him that his little brother had to come in that day because of some big thing going on.

Kyungsoo could care less to be honest.

“Sorry, he can’t.” The boy tried again, but Jongin was very persistent.

“Tao needs to come in. I don’t care if he’s sick. Get him in.”

Well, Kai was getting very, very frustrating. Well, Kyungsoo supposed he just had to tell Kai the truth then.

“He can’t come in because he was attacked last night coming home from work. Some sort of animal attacked him.”

There was silence on the other line.

At least Kai finally shut up.

“Are you serious?” Tao’s manager asked, and the other sighed.

“Yes, now please, let him have at least a day’s rest.” Kyungsoo pleaded, and he could hear the other sigh slowly but agree finally.

“Okay, tell him to get better.” The phone call ended abruptly, but was Kyungsoo glad to get off of that phone call. He didn’t think it could have been any more awkward, especially because of what had happened when they had been together yesterday and neither wanted to discuss that.

Sighing, he put the phone down and moved back into the living room where Tao lay on Yixing’s lap, still panting and trying to catch his breath. Lay had healed him already, but the other was still in shock, which was something that couldn’t be magically removed. So the youngest lay there, still not awake, terrified and trembling. Kyungsoo sat on the opposite couch beside Lu Han, watching their younger brother with teary eyes.

“Any changes?” The middle child asked, but Lu Han shook his head.

“No, he still won’t wake up.” You could hear the sadness deep in his shaking voice.

“We can’t do anything until he wakes up.” Lay whispered, knowing what was going through the other two boy’s head. “Then we’ll catch whatever done this to him.” The man swore.

Lu Han growled in annoyance and frustration.

“Why didn’t he just use his power?!” he shouted, trying to think of something that would’ve made this so much better. Then his younger brother wouldn’t be in a comatose state.

“He was probably attacked from behind.” Kyungsoo whispered the logical explanation.

“ing coward.” Lu Han gritted his teeth.

“It had to be an animal.” Lay explained, remembering what the younger’s scars and injuries had looked like, a person couldn’t have done this unless they had extremely sharp claws and extremely sharp teeth. No, it had to be an animal, either a vicious dog or wolf.

Just as Kyungsoo was about to comment on Lay’s statement, they all heard a small whimper escape Tao’s mouth.

Both of his brother’s rushed to his side immediately.

Sweat was still beading down his face, and his hair was still a mess.

“Taozi?” Lu Han whispered, placing his hand on the younger’s hair and running his fingers through it, knowing how much the other had loved the feeling of it when he was a little boy. Tao groaned again as he scrunched his eyes tighter, his mouth fell agape.

“I think he’s coming to.” Kyungsoo said, merely in hope.

And when he said that, Tao’s eyes fluttered open and his chest had stopped moving frantically.

Everyone grinned at him before Lu Han spoke softly.

“Hey Taozi, how are you feeling?” he asked, and the younger boy closed his eyes a couple of times to try and get used to the bright light shining above him. Groaning once more, he held onto the edge of the couch to prop himself up.

Looking at them all, he spoke groggily.

“What happened?” he asked, worried about the expressions on their faces.

“You were attacked, remember?” Lu Han said, and the other scrunched his eyebrows together as he tried to think about what had happened earlier.

“I… think so.” Tao whispered, having vague flashbacks of walking down the street at night, and then reaching the house with exceedingly painful wounds all over his body, but he still didn’t remember who the attacker was, or what it was that had targeted him. “Sorry… I-I don’t remember.” The younger said, but Lu Han shook his head.

“No, just rest.”

As he said that, Tao nodded and Lay put him down on the cushion to sleep.

He almost immediately fell into a slumber.

The other three moved into the hallway to try and discuss what they were going to do.

“Do we look for it?” Kyungsoo asked, the other two rather surprised that he’d want to throw himself into harm’s way like this. Lu Han looked at him worried before pressing his hand against his forehead.

Looking at Lay when he removed his hand, he shrugged.

“Nah, his temperatures fine.” Lu Han teased, and the younger hit him. “But I vote yes, we look.”

Lay nodded before he glanced back at Tao.

“For now, I say we leave him here to rest, and try to look for it ourselves.” He suggested, and the other two simply nodded in agreement. They couldn’t take Tao back out to search for the thing that had viciously attacked him. They didn’t want to see what he’d do.

Kyungsoo nodded his head before moving to get his coat.

“But where do we start?” Lu Han asked.

“Let’s just, follow the route that Tao takes to go to work, and we can start from there, okay?” Lay said, and when he got the nod, they all took off and went to search for the thing.

Zitao groaned as he lay awake about six hours from when he had dozed off.

The windows showed that it was turning into night again.

Sighing, he stood up and stretched his limbs before he realised that it was a little too quiet around the house.

“Guys?” he shouted a little, roaming the hallway in search for any of the other three.

Pouting when he received no answer, he moved up the stairs to check any of the bedrooms. But still, he couldn’t find any sign of his brother’s or the healer, so where could they have gone? Shrugging, he moved into his room and walked to the cupboard, eager to get out of these bloody clothes.

As he was changed, he heard a mysterious noise to his left.

Stopping instantly, he looked to the side to see his window completely open, making him frown.

“I’m sure I left that shut…” he whispered before he moved over to it and slammed it shut, locking it completely before he went back to the cupboard and pulled on a baggy t-shirt.

When he was completely changed, he sighed in relief at how comfortable he felt.

Turning around to the door, he froze completely on the spot.

Something was in front of him, snarling and hissing, salvia dropping from its jaws as it bore its teeth. The fur was completely deep black, and the magnificent red eyes sent shivers down Tao’s spine.

He knew exactly what it was, because it had left its mark on him simply the night before.

Where the hell was everyone?!


Upvote and subscribe please! <3

Sorry for being a day late! I was recovering from Blackpool yesterday!

Next episode 3/7/2013