Episode 3

Darkened Skies and Surprises

Zitao’s eyes opened ever so slowly, his pupils looking around the room that he was currently in, trying to figure out where he was. Sitting up, he turned to the side and flinched back when he saw a pair of bright red eyes staring at him intensely. Titling his head, he smiled when he realised who exactly who it was.

Moving out of the bed quickly, he launched himself into the vampire’s arms, sitting on his lap as Chanyeol hugged him tightly as well.

“Chanyeol!” Tao exclaimed, a grin on his lips as he felt the vampire’s body crushed against his own. It was a miracle the small wooden chair that Chanyeol was sitting on took both of their weights.

“Hey Tao.” The vampire whispered into the other’s ear, Tao’s hair softly.

Both of them lay in silence – Chanyeol just taking in the boy’s sweet scent that he had missed, and Tao just grinning away.

And then when someone came in, there was a loud crash.

Tao jumped back, right off of the vampire to look at what had happened.

He saw Sehun standing there, his hands in the air but they were empty. On the floor must’ve been the tray he was carrying, with liquid and food covering the carpet now. Sehun looked traumatised, and Tao tilted his head a little.

“What is it Sehun?” he wondered. The wolf just stared at him before he took a few steps forward, through the mess on the floor, ignoring it completely.

Chanyeol’s eyes never left Zitao’s, however. He didn’t want to miss another moment.

When the wolf reached Tao, the boy just stared at him. It was making Zitao rather uncomfortable and he finally spoke up again.

“You’re really creeping me out.” Tao said in a monotone voice.

Sehun just stared.

“O…kay. Well, weird child, I am super hungry so… excuse me.” The boy stood up and smiled sarcastically at the younger boy before he stepped around him and right out of the room.

Chanyeol stared after him surprised. He looked over to the wolf who looked just as confused as he did.

“Let’s go.” The vampire grabbed Sehun’s arm and pulled him out of the room after Tao.

As both of them reached the living room, they looked around to see if anyone else was here. Magically, the rest of them were all sitting in the living room – all in silence however, they must’ve not realised that Zitao had awakened. Chanyeol dragged Sehun into the room and he cleared his throat to gain everyone’s attention. They all looked at him, with slight bored expressions, and he motioned into the kitchen where Tao was.

“Zitao is awake.” All of them stared at him in disbelief.

Lu Han and Kyungsoo instantly stood up, and without waiting for any other words they rushed into the kitchen. And of course, everyone else followed them.

When they reached the kitchen, all of them stood and stared at the boy within it.

Zitao was currently rummaging around the fridge, looking around for some food to sate his hunger. Looking around the shelves, he pouted when there was hardly anything good in there.

But then he saw a packet of something that just looked absolutely delicious.

Grabbing it, he shut the fridge and failed to notice the audience he had acquired. Moving to the kitchen table, he placed the packet on it and took a seat. And he grinned like a maniac as he ripped open the packet and put the food straight into his mouth.

That’s when Lu Han instantly ran to him and grabbed his wrist.

“Tao!” he shouted, and the boy stared up at him.

“Lu Han?” The younger boy tilted his head, his mouth still moving a little to chew threw the food in his mouth.

His older brother stared at him with big wide eyes.

“You… do realise what you’re eating right?” Lu Han asked, and Tao stared down at his food and looked right back up at the other. Giving him a firm nod, the other scoffed loudly. “Then why are you eating it?”

Zitao took his wrist away from his sibling and popped the rest of the food in his mouth.

“Because its ing delicious.”

Kyungsoo moved up next, the sound of profanities moving past his baby brother’s lips was preposterous to him.

“Tao, its raw meat.”

The younger boy his lips. There was blood all around him, looking like he had just munched on a full bloodied animal. Eating another bit, he stared at his siblings and shrugged his shoulders.

Lu Han turned to Kyungsoo and bit his lip. Sehun eventually moved forward with some napkins, holding them out for the other to take.

But when Tao looked at him, he scoffed.

“Why don’t you talk?” he asked, a smug smile appearing on his lips. But he still grabbed the napkins from the young wolf, wiping his mouth with them before shoving the dirtied cloth right back into Sehun’s hands. “There. Happy now?” Tao asked his brothers who were just gaping at him in astonishment.

Yixing instantly ran over to the wolf and grabbed the napkins out of his hands and put them on the table. Glaring at Tao, he softly hugged Sehun and whispered soft words into his ear – it was the only way he could think of to calm him.

Zitao titled his head at Yixing’s display before his eyes widened in realisation.

“Oh! You guys are together?” he asked, and Yixing nodded with a sigh. “Congrats!” The boy said, standing up and rushing towards the couple and hugging them.

Suho watched him carefully from the back.

He was standing beside Chanyeol who was also staying very quiet. The angel thought back to what the necromancer had warned them about.

‘Your brother is not going to be the same as before. Maybe he will one day, but for now, he’ll act different. Because of what he went through, it traumatised him.’

Joonmyun took a deep breath and continued to analyse Tao. But this place was too crowded. He needed to get the boy alone and have a small chat and conversation with him.

Moving to Yixing, he leaned over and whispered into his ear.

“Take Sehun and get some rest for now, okay?” The angel explained, and the healer instantly nodded, taking the wolf away.

Zitao looked in confusion as the two left.

Suho then moved backwards to Chanyeol and sighed.

“Look, I’m going to need some time alone with Tao. Can I get it?” he wondered. The vampire stared at him before he nodded instantly. It wasn’t like he was blind. Something was wrong with Tao.

Chanyeol left the room without a second glance.

The angel then looked at Tao’s two brothers who were still staring at him. Zitao cheeks became red a little at the attention.

“Um… yes?” he asked quietly, and Kyungsoo let out a sigh.

“Tao, how are you feeling?” The boy asked, slowly watching Tao’s reaction. Then the boy just shrugged.

“Fine.”

Lu Han and Kyungsoo glanced at each other worriedly. Suho sighed.

“Guys?” Everyone turned to him. “Can I talk to Zitao alone please?” The angel asked, and all of them nodded. Kyungsoo and Lu Han moved past the other and simply shared a glance with him before they left Suho and Tao alone in the kitchen alone with each other.

The younger leaned against the edge of the table and smiled like an angel.

A complete opposite of his personality earlier.

Suho moved closer and smiled at him. Luckily, the other smiled right back and his eyes brightened.

“Zitao, how do you feel?” he asked, and the other chuckled.

“Kyungsoo already asked that.” Tao whispered with a grin on his lips. “But if I have to answer again, I will say I feel okay.”

“Right. Do you feel, different?” the angel wondered.

“Um… no?”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah.”

Suho sighed and ran his fingers through his hair a little. Moving closer to the young boy, he put his hands on Zitao’s shoulders and leaned in a little, lowering his voice to a deep tone.

“Tao.”

The boy looked up at him. He felt like he was being interrogated at the moment.

“Yes Suho?”

“You were dead. And resurrected. And you don’t feel any different?” The angel asked, and Zitao seemed to be a little bit effected by what the other had just said to him.

Zitao gulped as he stared into Suho’s eyes. Then he thought about it.

He was dead. Kris had killed him for rejecting his proposal for the nth time. But then, the next thing he remembered was waking up some weird hall, gasping for air because he didn’t seem to be getting any oxygen to his lungs. And then he remembered waking up in the bedroom up the stairs.

Biting his lip, he took a deep breath.

“…I don’t know, I feel kind of weird.” He admitted, rubbing his hands together. The other sighed before he bit his lip.

The angel took a deep breath.

“I want you to think about something for me.” He said in a soft and relaxed voice and Tao smiled at the other’s kindness.

He felt like he could trust Suho, besides not having known him like the rest of the others.

“Okay.” The other seemed to have reverted back to the kind young boy. At least he was in this mood. The angel nodded, smiling thankfully at the other for his full co-operation, and he spoke softly again.

“Tao, I need to know if you felt anything when Kris…” Suho sighed.

“Killed me?” Zitao finished the other’s sentence in a quiet voice.

“…Yes.”

The boy took a deep breath and closed his eyes a little. And as much as he didn’t really want to think about it, he tried to revert back to when his neck was broken by the demon.

His hands instantly moved up to his neck, and his mouth fell agape.

That’s when he felt it. Like it was all in slow motion, like it was happening right there. He was reverted back to the moment in time, seconds before he died. Everything was slow, time along with it.

I looked up at the demon and my body was filled with wretched hate. My mind went back to my boyfriend that was now only a single dust pile on the floor, and I shook my head side to side.

There was no way I was going with this murderer.

But that was then I witnessed the demon’s eyes fall from all colour, and switch to deep black. If there was ever an ugly thing in this world, it would be those eyes.

They were drenched of emotion – there wasn’t even wrath or anger.

And then that’s when I felt it.

Kris’s large hands were moving ever so slowly. My body couldn’t jump start quick enough, and the demon’s hands were now around my neck.

His hands were cold. So cold. So icy cold.

And then I could feel the other move my neck in the same direction as his hands.

The bones were cracking within my neck, and I could feel each little one of them snap, all in sequence. Pain rose through my body horribly, and my eyes were forced to move with my head.

I could see my siblings, the ones that went through all of this just to save me.

But now I’m going to die. Die from my head becoming disconnected from my whole body. Kris was too strong.

The cracking finished, and there was no sound.

Gasping for air, Tao’s hands were clutching around his own neck still before he fell to the ground, the angel unable to catch him in time. As he fell, he was letting out large yells, yells of sheer pain.

Suho’s eyes widened before he fell to the floor along with him.

His hands immediately went to Tao’s, trying to pry them off of himself.

But he couldn’t. And he watched in vain as Tao’s own hands began to tighten around his neck.

Zitao continued to gasp, but, like his hands had a life of their own, they continued to tighten, and no oxygen was being allowed into his body. He was going to kill himself, by loss of oxygen.

The angel bit his lip before he suddenly put his hand on Tao’s shoulder and pressed hard onto a pressure point.

Tao fell to the floor unconscious – but thankfully – still breathing.

That’s when the rest of the family decided to come in.

“What happened?!” Lu Han shouted as he ran to his younger brother, cradling his head in his lap. Looking up at Suho, the angel just shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. Not even he knew what had happened. Horribly, he had just seen Tao try and strangle himself.

What the hell could make him do that.

“Just let him rest.” Kyungsoo whispered, kneeling down and the boy’s hair.

Chanyeol eventually cut in and picked Zitao up softly, bridal style. Looking down at the boy’s face, he realised that it was unusually pale. The boy’s skin was cold, and it didn’t look like he was breathing.

“Suho, check if he’s alive.” The vampire whispered, and the angel stood up quickly.

Pressing his fingers to Tao’s neck, he let out a sigh of relief. The boy certainly had a heartbeat anyway. Nodding, Chanyeol bit his lip before he turned and moved out of the kitchen.

They just had to let him rest. For now.

Everything can be figured out later.

It as a couple of hours later, and Kyungsoo was no longer in the house. He sauntered down the streets and reached the old abandoned building that he hadn’t been for a while. Taking a deep breath, he shut the door behind him and looked around.

Now to see if Kai was here.

“Jongin?” he said a little loudly, and he heard some rustling from the side. Cautiously moving when there was no other movement, he moved to the side and examined the area. “Jongin?” Kyungsoo repeated as he saw a figure lying on the floor. Running over to him, he turned the body over and saw that it was in fact Kai.

But there was a problem.

He was a bleed profusely.

“Kai!” Kyungsoo exclaimed as he touched the boy’s stomach that had a deep cut on it.

The demon on the floor suddenly came to life and opened his eyes. A small smile was on his lips as he realised who was talking to him.

“K-Kyungsoo…” he whined, and he tried to get up. “!” he screamed as the injury in his torso was causing him a hell of a lot of pain. “Dammit.” Kai whispered before he looked up. “What are you doing here?”

The witch rolled his eyes before he looked down at the other’s cut.

“What happened?” he asked, rolling up Jongin’s t-shirt to get a good look at the wound.

They had managed to get the demon to sit up a little, before Kyungsoo groaned at the state of the other. And he waited for an answer. Jongin sighed.

“Kris happened.”

“Kris? When?” Kyungsoo wondered.

“Um… a couple of days ago?”

Kyungsoo groaned into his hands when he heard that. Which meant that the angel dagger did nothing to him, and they really had no way to kill that stupid son of a .

Kai sighed before he moved one of his trembling hands to Kyungsoo’s.

“Are you okay?” he asked, and kyungsoo scoffed.

“Me?”

“Yeah, are you?” Kai repeated.

“You’re the one bleeding here. Can’t… can’t you heal yourself?” He asked, looking at the wound again which was actually getting worse. The other must’ve lost a hell of a lot of blood by now. How the other was even still alive was a miracle. “Kai?” he said, as the other didn’t reply to him.

The demon took a deep breath before he looked back up at the other.

“I’m so sorry.”

Kyungsoo titled his head in confusion. Moving forward, he looked into Jongin’s eyes and spoke softly.

“About what?” he wondered.

“About everything.”

The human sighed.

“Let’s focus on you. Can’t you do something here?” Kyungsoo asked, and Kai his lips before he nodded. “Really?” Kai nodded once again before he motioned to get Kyungsoo to help him stand up.

Once he was up – and in a lot of pain during the process – the demon took a deep breath.

“Step back.”

Kyungsoo done as he was told instantly. Kai’s eyes closed softly and he began moving his lips, as if he was chanting something.

“What are you doing?” the boy asked, and Kai looked at him and stopped.

“I’m summoning someone that can help me.”

“…Is it another demon?” Kyungsoo wondered. If it was, he didn’t think it was a particularly good idea for any of them. One being that Jongin was a traitor and the other being that Kyungsoo was a witch.

Kai nodded.

“Great…”

“Look, he’ll be fine, he’ll heal me. Just stay quiet please.”

Kyungsoo could only nod, but he was ready. He was ready to attack with his supernatural strength if the demon that was about to be summoned caused any trouble. Since Tao had been dead he hadn’t properly used his power, but he was ready now.

After the chant was finished, Jongin waited patiently for the one he called to come.

A minute passed. Kyungsoo was about to speak before there was a loud crash and someone appeared in the middle of the room, red eyes blazing and brown hair styled rather perfectly. The witch tilted his head a little in confusion.

If that guy didn’t have red eyes – he would’ve never had guessed the other was a demon.

The demon, however, smirked when he looked at the two.

Especially when he caught who had in fact summoned him.

“Kai?” He had a very deep voice. “Kai, is that you?” he wondered, and Kai nodded before he motioned for the newly arrived demon to come closer – he had to get this thing healed.

When the demon saw what had happened, he chuckled.

And then he noticed Kyungsoo.

“Oh? Whose this? Not a demon anyway…” he observed Kyungsoo with curious eyes before he turned back to Jongin.

“This is Kyungsoo. Now please, I need healing.”

The other moved forward before chuckling.

“Well, you have to tell me someone who can heal first.” The man spoke, and Kai swore out loud as he thought about it.

Kyungsoo titled his head a little in confusion and curiosity.

“What do you mean?”

The unknown demon instantly moved forward and bumped chests with the other boy. Smirking, he put out his hand and instantly took Kyungsoo’s in his own.

“My name is Daehyun. I am a shape shifter – but a very spectacular one. I can take the form of anyone, and if that being is supernatural, then I gain their powers for however long I am in their form.” Daehyun explained, and the witch tried to go along with his words.

Kyungsoo looked over to Kai and bit his lip.

Then he turned back to Daehyun.

“What happens to the person you are imitating?” he wondered, and the other chuckled.

“You think of the right questions.” A small smirk appeared on his lips. “They fall unconscious until I revert back to my normal form.”

And that’s when Kyungsoo spoke the name of that one person who could heal the other. It was for Jongin’s sake, and he just hoped that the person he had in mind would forgive him.

Daehyun chuckled at the expression on the other’s face.

“Give me that person’s whole name please.”

Kyungsoo nodded as he glanced over back at the other injured demon.

“Zhang Yixing. He’s a healer.”

The demon nodded before moving to Kai. Closing his eyes, he repeated the words ‘Zhang Yixing’ over and over again until Kyungsoo witnessed the amazing but horrible transformation.

Slowly transforming into Yixing, Kyungsoo’s breath hitched as it was like he was looking at Lay completely.

Daehyun turned to him.

“Cool huh?” His voice was even like Yixing’s. “Now, lift your shirt.”

Jongin did as he was told, and Daehyun moved one of his hands to the other’s torso and he waited for a while. Slowly, but surely, the wound began to heal itself and even he was amazed at the power.

Looking back at Kyungsoo he chuckled.

“That’s a powerful friend you have.”


A/N: Ta-dah! Hope you'll enjoy this chapter! Things will be spiced up in the next one! <3