Prologue

The Lights of the Young

August 30th, 2012 

Finally finished moving and unpacking and placing everything- I MEAN EVERYTHING in Junhong's house in Seoul. It feels different now– living with a romantic, sweet and love-fooled; well I wouldn't technically say “love fooled”; stepbrother in the house. I never had a brother, I have always been an only child. And Dad died only two years ago. Junhong is my stepdad, I'm not quite yet use to calling him Appa, since Mom and him got married recently.

Mom told me that I'll be moving to Seoul Highschool since I cannot attend to that new highschool in Hongdae. Freshmannnnnnn, I bet I'll be picked on *sigh* -_- but who cares? I'm shy when I go to a different part of Korea and meet different people. But it doesn't matter, does it? Maybe it does...

Two more days.

Jiae





I quickly finished jotting down the last two words in my journal and flung my pencil into its holder. Placing my journal aside, I walked out of the room and rapidly took steps to the living room; where my mom, Jeongmin and Junhong were gathered on the coffee table playing a card game. I sat down with my knees in front of me beside Jeongmin, who noticed me and flew an arm around my waist. Oh how I wish he can stop doing that. I wish. 

“Hey baby girl,” Jeongmin placed his hand on the table, facing down. He planted a kiss on my forehead. “How are you doing?” 

“I'm not a baby, so why bother calling me one?” I complied and immediately I knew, even for I only knew Jeongmin for the past five months— he had a cute expression with a pout to go along with it. I sighed and poked him on the stomach. “I'm kidding. You can call me that if you want. But please, not to often– especially in public.” 

He gave a flirtiaous wink at me. “Okay baby girl.” I had to chuckle and scooted closer to the table. “What were you three playing?” I asked, staring at the cards. 

“Go Fish, Idol Style,” Mom said with a sweet smile on my face. She looked pretty like she always does– a yellow sundress that fitted her like a glove and her light brown hair tied up in a messy bun that made her brown eyes pop. “Junhong had a set of cards with Idols instead of King, Queen, Jack, etc.” She picked up a card from the deck that was standing on the table and flipped it  to show me. It showed a picture of SHINee's Minho. “See?”

I took the card out of her hand and stared at the picture dearly. “I didn't know they had this version.” says I. “I have a few questions.” I gave back the card to my mom. 

“Go ahead, sweetie.” Junhong rubbed my back and I smiled at him. I carefully thought how my questions would go. Sometimes, I mess up on my questions. 

“Well,” I began to say. “What was the school color again?” 

“Yellow with black and silver,” Mom replied. She thought of something that I probably reminded her. “Oh yes, I have your tie in the laundry room. I'll get it for you, don't worry.” 

“Tie?” I asked, raising a brow. “I thought we'll be getting– I mean girls get bows?”

“Heh, Hufflepuff.” Jeongmin mumbled with a geekily grin on his face, but we all know he isn't good at mumbling. We stared at Jeongmin with a look on our faces. He glanced at his dad, myself and his stepmom. “Pfft, I did not say anything.” 

“Jiae, I don't think you know this but he's a big Harry Potter fan,” Mom said, giggling at her stepson. “He watches the movies and read the books again and again. I worry about him too much.” 

“When something that can be related to Harry Potter, it just makes Jeongminnie grin.” His father said, with a grin on his face. “Even if it's little details, it's one of the reasons why we decided to make him homeschooled.” 

“Hey,” Jeongmin raised his voice a bit. “I'm starting to heal over the Harry Potter fandom little by little. I'm not too nerdy.” He sniffed, and placed his glasses up.

“You're a wizard, Jeongmin.” I teased, acting like Hagrid. 

His eyes widen from his specs. “Ima... Ima what!?” He had a grin that took up his whole face. “I'm a wizard!?” His voiced cracked.

I laughed at Jeongmin and pinched his nose bridge. “Voice crack~” I sang. “Dude, you were Harry Potter'd.” 

The other two had to laugh as well. “So,” My mom spoke. “What was the other question or questions?” 

“Well,” says I again. “Do I have everything I need for school?”

“You need a few more notebooks and pens,” Jeongmin replied, cleaning his glasses with his tank. “After you go get some, I think you're good to go.” 

“And one more thing.” 

“Hmm?” 

“Is... Is highschool going to be fun and enjoyable?”

“Honey,” Junhong rubbed my back. “Highschool is going to be great. Jeongmin can't go to highschool due to his struggle, do that's why he needs to be homeschooled. We were greatly sorry for him, but he accepted it just like you'll accept highschool.”

“Plus, even thought I can't go,” Jeongmin spoke. “I bet you'll have fun. Just be careful on what's going on and please, take me home some pride from your highschool, okay?” He smiled.

“Junhong and Jeongmin said my words,” Mom smiled. “And also, I wanna see if you can attract boys.” She winked playfully at me while I rolled my eyes.

“Umma!” 


~~~~~~~~


“Umma,” I called to my mother while I stepped down the stairs and headed to the kitchen, where my mother is cooking some ramen. “I'm going back in two more days.”

“I know, Kwangmin.” Mom turned around to face me and nodded. She went on her toes and planted a kiss on my forehead, since I'm taller than her by 20cm. “It's been a year since Forevermore has been destroyed, huh?” 

I nodded with a slight smile on my face, but my mom knew she can see in my eyes are filled with grief and sorrow. “Look honey, you are very lucky you still own your powers. If that man Chanyeol stole it... Including the other four...”

“No one in Forevermore will own magic and he shall rule the land.” I sighed and nodded. “But I know, I am lucky to have my magic and not age anymore.” 

“No one ages until a certain age that they come at,” Mom said, turning off the vent and stove. She grabbed my wrist and pulled me to a table so we can talk. “Will you think we should tell someone about this?” She asked, taking a seat. 

I shrugged. I really wanted someone to help us but what happens if that someone spreads it and maybe Chanyeol can find us easily? “I wish we can but Chanyeol...” 

“I know, sweetie,” My mom patted my head lightly. “You are the only one throughout this family to own your magic. And the only five of Forevermore to still consist it.” 

I nodded. “When we can go back home?“ I sounded pretty sad. 

“Sweetie,” my mom called to me. “Come on, where's the Peter Pan in you?” She nudged my arm. “You have to be happy! I'm not forcing you or anything but look at us! We made it together for a year now and Chanyeol never found us yet.” 

The compliment made me smile. I glanced at her. “Umma, I'm not that immature!”

“Yes you are!” She pinched my cheeks. 

I gave her a toothy grin and used my magic to bring her cup of tea onto the table. “Your welcome, mommy.”

“Kwangmin! You are so cute!” 

For the rest of the day, we spent the day talking, playing and even acting like idiots since we need to place our worries aside and put our happiness foward.
 


i hope you guys enjoyed the prologue! :) have a good day~ more soon ^^