57

Worlds Collide

 

 

“She has to know, ge.” Lay replied.

“She loves racing so much, the moment she hears she might not be-”

“What are you two mumbling about? I’m not asleep you know.”

The two looked up from their seats. Lay shoved the older male and he left the room.

 

“Mei?” Luhan said as he walked to her.

“Hm?” Jungah was lying on her bed, reading.

Luhan took the book from her hands and sat beside her.

“I talked to your doctor earlier,”

“Oh.”

“He said….your legs…you have to undergo therapy, mei.”

Jungah tensed and glanced up at him, then tears started to fall from Luhan’s eyes.

“Ge?”

“It’s all because of me, if only I tried to listen-”

“What are you saying!?”

“You…might not be able to walk again, mei. I’m so sorry.” Luhan almost choked as he faced her. Jungah gasped.

“Walk?” She breathed. She shook her head slowly.

“But that means…” She trailed off. Luhan took both of her hands.

“You still have therapy, mei. You’ll get well.”

Jungah remained quiet.

She might not be able to walk again. She wont be able to race again. She wont be able to roam around as she pleases again.

“Mei, please…talk to me.”

“I…want to be alone.”

 

 

Jungah looked at her bandaged legs. She bit her lip.

She wanted to talk to someone, but definitely not her family. She looked up as Agung stepped out of her room, the elder smiled at her before shutting the door.

She reached for her phone and opened her contacts. Then she paused.

Her finger was hovering over Kris’s name on the screen. She shook her head and tossed the phone away.

She needed to talk to Kris, but she didn’t want to appear weak. She even had no idea why she was looking for him.

 

After three days, Jungah was to undergo therapy.

“I’ll come with you.” Luhan smiled at her. Jungah smiled and let the nurse help her sit on the wheelchair. She was quiet as they made their way towards the therapy room.

“Mei?”

“What Luhan?” She looked up, Luhan grinned.

“Let’s get ice cream after.”

“That sounds nice, how’s the project going?”

“Which project?”

“The one with the Wus.” She almost sighed. Luhan blinked.

The Wus.

Kris.

She’s asking about Kris in a subtle way.

Luhan smiled.

“Yixing’s the one handling it as of now, don’t worry. Don’t think about work.”

Jungah pursed her lips and nodded.

“I haven’t seen that tower, I sense foreboding trouble.” She muttered.

“No work, shut it mei.”

Luhan shook his head with a smile.

 

 

Luhan watched as the therapy physician was checking Jungah. The casts on her legs were being removed as they spoke. Then the doctor tried to flex her legs for her. Jungah winced lightly. The doctor smiled.

“You feel pain, miss Xi?”

“A little.” She nodded.

“That’s good, you finally feel something. A few more sessions and you’ll be back to walking again.”

Jungah smiled in relief.

“Thanks, doctor.”

 

 

“Jungie!” Chanyeol boomed as he opened the door, Jungah flinched and dropped her book onto her lap.

“Seriously.”

“We miss you noona!” Junhong entered the room, with his other hyungs trailing after him. Luhan smiled and stood up.

“I’ll go get something to eat. Watch over her.” He nodded towards the door and left.

“I miss you so much! We were so worried!” Himchan bent down and hugged her.

“Thanks, for dropping by guys.” She chuckled, Daehyun and Youngjae set a large vase of flowers beside her.

“Looks decent enough, but you don’t do flowers.” Yongguk shrugged.

“It’s….pretty.” She added. Jongup laughed dryly, then Chanyeol plopped beside her.

“How are you feeling? What about your legs?”

“I’m okay, oppa. I’ve been…having good progress, don’t worry.”

“Don’t worry? Whatever.” Daehyun bopped her forehead.

“Hey! No hurting the patient!” Chanyeol swatted his hand away, while wrapping his arms around Jungah protectively.

“Patient? What patient?” Youngjae scoffed but then he smiled.

“You…should get well soon, we have yet to finish our winning streak.” Youngjae added.

“As long as Yongguk treats us to pizza, I’m in.” She nodded, Chanyeol chuckled.

“As long as its food, I’m in!”

 

 

Kris stopped right in front of the slightly opened door as he heard noises, he peeked slightly and saw Jungah smiling and laughing while talking to her friends.

Kris smiled to himself in relief.

She was doing well and that was the only thing that mattered to him.

He set down the cow plushie on the door’s front and silently walked away.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++