At the Pool Party

Carrot-Head Chanyeol

Entry 3

 

[CHANYEOL'S P.O.V]

Dear Krystal:

The way you looked to me yesterday was heart-breaking, I admit, but my desire to fill your cold heart with warmth and love will never cease. My ice princess, let me see the bubbly Krystal I once knew.

Yeollie.

I closed my notebook and get ready for school. I made sure that my pants were zipped first before running down the stairs.

I found my mom cooking our breakfast while watching television from the kitchen.
"Good morning mom!" I greeted energetically.

My mom turned to look at me and gave me a sweet smile. I settled myself comfortably on the couch while I watched mom's favorite morning sitcom. I'm not really following its story, but I kept watching just to kill time. Why? Because I woke up too early for school. I was really determined not to be late on class again, or Sir Duck Face will double my punishment.

And I had enough punishment.

"Carrot head, you have been marked." Pierced Giant said.

I wiped my glasses and placed them on my eyes again.

"I don't understand."
"I told you that I'll beat you into a pulp next time." Pierced Giant pushed me roughly on the rest room door. "And this is just the start." he turned around at everyone and said in a loud voice, "You all know the rules; be friends with the marked person, and you'll be marked too. Girls or boys, there are no exemptions! CLEAR?" he glared at everyone who all nodded immediately. He smirked. "Now that's settled, Xiumin, Tao, let's go." he motioned his friends outside the building.

When the three of them were gone, everyone started throwing pieces of crumpled paper and booing at me. I looked into Krystal's dead eyes - they were cold and unreadable. One of her friends pulled her away from the scene, and after a moment of hesitation, she turned away from me.... without looking back.

"Yeol, are you still listening?" 

I snapped out of my reverie and looked around. My mom was looking at me.

"Huh?"
"I said, isn't that Krystal Jung? Your playmate when you were young?"

I quickly turned my attention on the television at the sound of Krystal's name. True enough, there she was, looking very beautiful on the screen, as she modeled their own shoe label.

Krystal and her family were incredibly wealthy. Her father owned World's Hotel, and it was the biggest hotel that exists. They have at least 25 branches around the world, and the number's still growing. On the other hand, her Mom owned a large and luxurious shoe store, Crystallize. As far as I know, it was her sister Jessica who was running their shoe business now.

"..she looks more beautiful than the last time I saw her. Oh I remember being friends with her mom, we used to chat whenever you and Krystal play after class..." Mom sighed dreamily in space.
"Mom, your chicken's burning."
"What? Oh!" she hurriedly turned the gas stove off and scooped the chicken. "All right! Breakfast's ready!"

I got up from the couch and joined her on the dining table. After eating, I rode my bike again for school.

"Wow, you're early." the lady guard noted.
"Of course, I don't want to be late for school anymore. hehe." I grinned sheepishly at her while I showed her my I.D.

CLICK!

"What was that for?" she cocked her eyebrow in cofusion.
"Just a remembrance." I smiled at her surprised expression then went inside the school. I decided to park my bike away from the cars this time then I entered the main building.

The moment I stepped inside, someone splashed water on my face.

"Booo-yaaa! One point!" someone jeered as he aimed a high-five on his friend. "Bye Carrot head." they ruffled my red-orange hair and left.

I wiped my face and shrugged. These things were actually normal to me anyways. Grade school, middle school, and now high school, it was all the same. Bullies, discrimination, judgements... all of these were parts of school life. Nothing changed.

Except Krystal.

The only thing that kept me to move on from these things was the thought that I should never give them satisfaction by retorting to what they did or showing them that I was having a hard time. It was difficult at first, but I soon managed to survive.

I entered our class room and took a seat at the front row. Then I waited patiently. Soon, the room started to fill in, and everybody avoided the seats next to me. Krystal walked in and looked around the room, searching for an empty seat I guess. Unfortunately for her (and fortunately for me), the only seats left were the ones on either side of me. She rolled her eyes and sat at my right.

"Oh no Krystal Jung sat beside the mark!"
"Will she be marked too?"
"That was unfortunate if she will.. She's very popular in school.."
"WILL YOU SHUT YOUR FAT MOUTHS?!"

Krystal lost her temper and glared at our classmates who were whispering noisily. They shut up immediately and looked down.
"Good." she scoffed. Then she placed her earphones and waited for Sir Duck Face too.

Before 8 o'clock, Sir Duck Face entered the room and he looked surprised when he saw me inside.

"For once you were not late Mr. Park," he commented. I nodded and smiled. Of course I won't. I learned my lesson...

..and I don't want to lose another opportunity with Krystal. 

The lecture started, but I kept my eyes on Krystal. Sir Duck Face seemed annoyed at me, and he kept on asking me questions, which I answered correctly in return. I already new basic algebra by heart.

After two hours I approached Krystal.

"Hey Krystal, do you want me to walk you to your next class?" I asked happily.

Krystal looked around warily as though she was afraid that someone will see us together. She ignored my offer and walked away. I sighed deeply.

"When will I be closer to you again Krystal?" I asked myself.

***

"Pool party?"

Sulli nodded.

"It's a welcome party for freshmen in SM High, it was actually a tradition."
"Where will it be.?" I opened the invitation and saw the address. "Whose house is this?"
"More like a rest house, I don't know whose though. But it's near our place. Are you going?"
"Yeah. It sounds fun! How about you?" I was kind of excited with this party thing. I'm sure Krystal will attend too.
"Yes, I will. So, see you on Saturday, 07:00 p.m.?"
"Ow-keeeii"

***

The rest house was far from our home. Sulli offered to pick me up but I refused... finding my way here on my own was adventurous anyways. I entered the front gate with much enthusiasm. This was the first party I ever attended. I gave the guard my invitation and he let me in.

Everyone was wearing bikinis except for boys of course, because that would be weird. The boys were shirtless, wearing swimming trunks or shorts. I, on the other hand, was wearing a large shirt orange and flowery shorts and flip flops, with nothing but my phone and money on my pocket. I searched the place for Krystal. Where is she??

[KRIS'S P.O.V]

This f**king annual party was really annoying. I hate parties. I hate seeing s in bikinis giving me their y stares, looking like they just want to throw me on bed and have with me. Girls were so predictable. If they don't want , then they want money - and I can give them both. Unfortunately for me, my good-for-nothing d father insisted me to attend this celebration every year, because "I was the son of the director" or that "I should show some courtesy to our guests since this is our rest house". I don't even know what was the f**cking point on all of these.  

I was getting thirsty so I went towards the table to get myself something to drink. Someone blocked my way then a hand caressed my bare chest.

"Hi Kris... Why were you alone?" a f**king 's voice said. I slapped her hand away and looked at her.
"You want to die?" I asked menacingly. She immediately cowered in fright and walked away. Good. I have no time with you.

I reached for the punch and saw a phone lying beside it. I picked it up.

"That's mine." a cold voice said from behind me.

I turned around and saw the same girl who I met on the parking lot last time. I looked at her from her head to toe - unlike the other girls around who showed almost everything in their body, she was wearing a see-through black sleeveless blouse, and shorts. Nevertheless, she looked beautiful and ier than any other girls in here.

"Then don't keep it lying everywhere." I tossed the phone to her which she caught immediately. She has good reflex. She rolled her eyes at me and turned away.
"You can say thank you." I called back.

She looked at me straight in the eyes. Her black, cold and mysterious eyes captivated me- because it was the same eyes I have.

"I didn't tell you to pick this up right? Then I don't need to say thank you." she snapped and walked away.

I furrowed my eyebrows. No woman tried to contest me but she just did. Then that means she didn't know who I am.

I saw someone approaching her and took her inside. I frowned. Does she even know that guy?

I made to follow them but stopped. A tall man in bright red-orange hair followed them. I leered.

Very good. Carrot head is here. This night will be fun.

***

[CHANYEOL'S P.O.V]

Finally I found Krystal! She was all alone and I ran towards her... but then I stopped midway. Someone grabbed her arm and pulled her inside the house. I followed them.

"Krystal?" I asked as I entered the house. It was dark inside and it was empty. I walked around the living room and searched for Krystal and the man.

"Krystal?" I repeated.
"...Who are you?! Get off me!!" I heard Krystal shouted.

I ran towards the sound of her voice.

"..Shut uppp!!!"
"AAAHHH!!" Her shriek made me ran faster. Where are you Krystal?!

I opened a room and I saw a man pinning Krystal on the wall. She was struggling from the man's embrace and her eyes, for once was not cold or expressionless but terrified.

"Get off!!!!" she repeated.
"KRYSTAL!" I grabbed the man's shoulder and punched him in the face. I know that I punch like a girl but I hope it was enough to hold him off. This person looked like he was drunk. I immediately grabbed Krystal's hand and together we ran outside the room.

"Hey!! STOP!" we heard the drunk man called us. We didn't stop until we were outside the house, back to the pool party where everyone was. The persons near us looked at Krystal and I's entwined hands. She immediately released my hands and looked away from me.

The drunk man caught up with us.

"Why did you left me Krystal?! I love you!!" he shouted. Everyone stopped talking and stared at us.
"I don't know who you are!" Krystal said.
"I was your boy friend in middle school!" he said. His eyes were unfocused and there was a light shade of red on his cheek where I punched him. "You said you wouldn't leave me but you did... " he sobbed " I.. I.."
"That's enough." 

Pierced Giant entered the scene. He was grinning evily at me. Great. Why was he here? I thought this was just a party for freshmen? He took the drunk man by his shoulders and said, "Go and rest, whoever you are. Xiumin, help him up." he ordered one of his friends who obliged.

"Well Carrot head, we meet again." he said. He looked at everyone. "Since I am the host for tonight's party, I will give you my entertainment! Ta-daaa!" he waved his hands at me. "Give a round of applause for our Carrot-head!" 

So it was his house? I just walked in the cat's trap!

Everyone clapped. Then he continued.

"This game is called 'Push the Carrot-Head'. You." he nodded at Krystal who raised her eyebrow.
"What?"
"You'll be the player." Pierced Giant said.
"WHAT?!" she repeated.

Pierced Giant smirked. "All you have to do is to push Carrot-head on the pool. Then the entertainment's done."

Krystal scoffed. "And what made you think that I'll follow your orders? Who are you anyways?"
"I'm the son of SM High director, and I have power in all of you. If you do not obey me, then I will throw you in the pool...together with this red-oranged hair man. You don't want that to happen right?"
"Throw me in the pool? Ha! You must be nuts. Then you don't know who I am." Krystal snapped. "Do you want my father get back at you? He's pretty powerful you know."
"Then you don't know me too. My father was powerful as well."

They glared at each other. I know that Krystal was struggling for words to say.

"Push. Him. Now. Push. Him. Now." Pierced Giant chanted. Soon, the audience immitated him. Now the whole rest house echoed with the same words, "Push him now".

We looked around. Everyone was waiting for Krystal to push me. I looked into her eyes.

"Krystal, just do it." I whispered silently.

Krystal wasn't looking at me. But she replied.

"Of course I will do it. I don't want to get thrown at the pool." 

SPLAASSSSHHHH!!

There was a loud splash as I fell on the icy pool. Then there were loud jeerings everywhere, and boos, and laughters...

"That's enough!!"

An angry, melodic voice rang around the rest house. I popped my head out of the water and looked.

It was Sulli. And she was shooting daggers at Pierced Giant and Krystal. She walked towards me and offered her hand.

"Get up Chanyeol." she said.
"Do that and you know what will be the consequence freshman." Pierced Giant hissed.

Sulli glared at him. "And I know what I'm doing. This system is sick. You make people's live a mess just for fun and it's not even funny. You're abusing your power and that's so cracked up. Chanyeol, get off from the pool."

I obliged. I felt a cold rush of wind passed me when I mounted from the pool. I was drenched in cold water and shivered.

"You two are jerks." Sulli glared at Krystal and Pierced Giant. "We're off here. Let's go Chanyeol." she grabbed my hand and led me away from the party.

"You'll regret this freshman." Pierced Giant's voice threatened.

I looked back. Everyone was staring at us. Even Krystal, and I thought I saw a glint of guilt in her eyes.