The Eve They Won't Forget

Carrot-Head Chanyeol

Entry 17

(Continuation of the flashback from Chapter 9)

Krystal stared at Chanyeol's cookies and smiled sadly. She doesn't know when will she be able to give these to her mom.There was a light knock on her door and Tom the butler came in.

"Ms. Krystal, Mr. Jung wants to see you." he said.

Krystal hopped from her bed and followed Tom quietly. Her back was still painful and she tried to walk slower to ease the pain a little bit.

Tom opened the doors of Mr. Jung's study room and let Krystal in. He bowed deep in front of his master, who was facing the window, and closed the doors behind him. Krystal watched her father apprehensively. There were numerous questions flying through her mind right now. Like,

What happened to her Mom?

Why did she act that way?

Why did her father let her be admitted to a rundown institution?

When will she see her Mom again?

And most of all, why did he stare at Chanyeol earlier like he despise him?

At last, Mr. Jung faced his daughter. His stern, strict face made Krystal gulped nervously. His father was always like this, but today his stare was more intense.. if possible, even more fearing.

"Krystal, do you know what's the most dangerous thing in business?" he asked out of nowhere.

Krystal shook her head.

"It's trust." he answered to his own question. "Businessmen never really trust their partners, their negotiators, even their own employees. You know why?"

Krystal shook her head again.

"It's because the roles of people can change in an instant. One day he's your friend, the next day, he's your biggest enemy. Do you get what I'm saying?"

Krystal nodded, but in truth, she doesn't understand why her father was saying this to her.

"That kid with a curly hair, is he your friend?"

Krystal nodded again. "Yes daddy. His name is Chanyeol."
"I'm not asking for his name" Mr. Jung snapped. Krystal tightened and stared at her father.
"Sorry father."

Mr. Jung sat on his high, comfy chair. His piercing eyes stayed at her daughter and said in an icy, commanding voice.

"It's the same thing with you Krystal. You must not trust anyone. You never know when will their roles in your life change. Friends? Forget about them. There's no such thing as friends. Or love. None. These are wise advices from your dad. It's for your own good. You understand that?"

This time, Krystal took the courage to shake her head. "No Daddy, I don't understand anything. From what happened to Mommy to why are you saying this to me... I don't understand a thing."
"Then let me make this clear to you. Stop befriending that Chanyeol. I don't like him. Is he rich?"

Krystal did not respond, but Mr. Jung seems like he doesn't need an answer.

"If he won't be any use to me, then don't let him enter our family. Besides, you're supposed to not trust anyone, so stay away from him."
"But -"
"And one last thing, never tell anyone about your Mom's situation. What do you think will happen if someone found out about her?"

Krystal shrugged.

"They will laugh at you. It will also affect my career, and yours as well... and worse things can happen on the next few years."
"I still don't understand father."
"And from now on,I don't want you to see your Mom too. Are we clear?"
"But -"
"Out."

***

Mr. Jung was the exact opposite of Mrs. Jung. While Mrs. Jung brigthened up the Jung manor with her radiant smiles, melodic laughs and mystical eyes, Mr. Jung on the other hand darkened every place with his strict, mean and cold demeanor. Maybe that was where Krystal adapted her new attitude - to her father's. Exactly what he wanted her to be.

She wasn't really close to his father even when she was young. She was always a Mama's girl, just like her sister Jessica. They rarely talk, and when they do, it will be about her studies or her career. Mr. Jung never asked her how she did in school, if she made friends, or such. She even bet that he doesn't know what was her favorite color. Well, neither did she.

When Mrs. Jung became crazy, the communication in the house was completely cut. Her sister decided to study abroad, and there she was engaged with the son of their father's business partner. Meanwhile, Mr. Jung was out of the country for months because of hisn "business trips" and when he came back, he'll only stay in Seoul for only a week. Before, she believed his every lies... but now she knew better. His father was still a womanizer. She's pretty sure that that man was with his mistress/mistresses whenever he's out of the country. That thought made her blood boil even further, her hatred deepened. She doesn't understand why did her mom love a man like him. It's clear he did not love her back. He's a manwhore.

He and Krystal rarely see each other on the mansion... and Krystal doesn't want to. She just hated her father like hell.

When she remembered that longest conversation they had years ago, she felt an uncomfortable nag at the pit of her stomach which made her think that when her father came back, her life will turn upside down again.

"Not now. Not when I have Chanyeol and Mom" she said to herself.

Her father must not know about her relationship with Chanyeol. She's afraid of what will happen if he did.

 

She parked her car and walked towards the main building of SM High. When she stepped her foot inside, there was urgent hushes and whispers around her. Everyone was looking at her. Not that it was something new, but today their stares were not jealous or admiring, but curious. That look when someone found out a secret, and they're excitedly discussing the gossip with each other.

She ignored the stares and the whispers and went to her locker. She felt that someone was standing beside her. She looked down and saw a pair of Jimmy Choo's heels which was a summer ago, and smirked. Krystal snapped her locker's door shut and cocked an eyebrow.

"I bet you can't afford yourself for a new pair of heels that's why you're still using an old one. Can't keep up with the fashion? I can give you some of my store's designed shoes for free Luna." she said coolly.

Luna smirked back.

"So what did you knock yourself with something hard lately? I don't know your taste in boys can go down from 10 to 0."

Krystal smiled sarcastically. She knew that sooner or later, the news of she dating Chanyeol will soon come out. She leaned on her locker and crossed her arms.

"I remembered you saying that Chanyeol was kind of cute before. Is he your typical 0?"
"Maybe." she replied silkily. "Can't help yourself without having a boyrfriend for a day don't you?"
"Well at least.." Krystal hitched up her bag and smiled slyly at Luna. "I can have a boyfriend without throwing myself to a man - especially to her friend's boyfriend. Byeee" she waved at her and walked to her algebra class. 

Chanyeol smiled and waved at her from the front row. 

"Good morning Krystal!" he greeted happily. Krystal waved back. She noticed that almost all of their classmates were staring at them. She shrugged at the thought and sat beside Chanyeol.

"Did you have a good weekend?" Chanyeol asked.
"Yes. I spent most of it with Mommy. Hey, did you know that almost everyone knew about our relationship now?"

Chanyeol nodded. "I don't care anyways. I'm proud that I have you."
Krystal smiled. "And I'm sure girls are jealous that I have you too."

Chanyeol snorted. "Like who? No one sees me the way you do Krystal."

Krystal rolled her eyes, shaking her head. *Chanyeol was really dense*

After their algebra class, Chanyeol walked Krystal on her next class. She stopped in front of their front door and looked back at Chanyeol.

"See you at lunch." she said.

Chanyeol nodded and kissed Krystal on the cheek quickly. Krystal opened from shock, holding her cheek that Chanyeol kissed.

"Bye my Krystal!" Chanyeol gave her a heart-stopping wink and waved. She stood frozen for a moment, and remembering what she was supposed to do, entered her classroom.

Chanyeol was humming happily on his way to music class. Just then, Kris blocked his way. He was looking at him in a stoic expression. Chanyeol stopped walking and blinked. He remembered the conversation they had a week ago, and he felt awkward standing next to him right now.

"H-hi." he said embarassedly. 

Kris studied his face and looked away.

"I heard you're dating Krystal." he said.

Chanyeol nodded timidly. He has no absolute idea on what to say.

"So that's why you won't help me." Kris continued, still looking away from him. "That night.. I still don't know about your relationship with her. I'm sorry."

Chanyeol looked up. Finally,Kris looked at him and his eyes were pained. "Congratulations to the newest couple. Take care of her." he patted Chanyeol rougly on his shoulder and walked away. "Oh hey." he stopped walking and turned around.

"I hate losing. I'll get her when I have the chance." he added jokingly, winking at him. He waved at Chanyeol and walked away for real.

Chanyeol sighed heavily. He felt bad for Kris, but he was relieved at the same time too that he took the news gently. He walked inside their music class and sat beside Sulli. He smiled at her and nudged her on her arms.

"Hello Sulli!"

Sulli looked at him briefly and nodded. She opened the book she was reading entitled "Message in the bottle" by Nicholas Sparks. Chanyeol peered on her book and pondered. "I love all of Nicholas Sparks' books. Did you read about A Walk to Remember already?"

Sulli nodded. She was still refusing to look at Chanyeol.

"Heeeyy. What's the matter Sulli?" he asked.
"I'm just reading. Sorry, I want to concentrate." she answered, still looking at her book.

Chanyeol nodded in understanding. Soon, Mrs. Song entered their classroom and she started their discussion quickly. When the bell rang, Sulli tapped Chanyeol on the shoulder.

"Lunch?"

Chanyeol blinked. "Um, sorry Sulli. I'm having lunch with Krystal today."

Sulli bit her lip and gave him a small smile. "I understand. See you." and she walked away.

Chanyeol ran towards Krystal's room. He was just on time because the moment he reached their class, she was just getting outside with a bunch of new girls around her.

The girls waved at Krystal and looked curiously at Chanyeol. Chanyeol hold Krystal's hand and led her on the fire exit.

"Where are we going?" she asked Krystal.
"Rooftop." 
"Huh? Aren't we going to eat on the cafeteria?"
"Nope." popping his lips at the sound of "p". 

They continued to move upstairs until at last, they reached the rooftop.

"Mom made us lunches. So we'll eat here while we enjoy this moment with only the sky and the birds with us." he said happily. He took two, pink and blue lunch boxes and sat on the floor. "Sit beside me Krystal." he said, patting the space next to him.

Krystal sat beside him and chose the blue lunch box. "You eat with the pink one." she said amusedly.

Chanyeol laughed and opened his own lunchbox. "Mom was a natural cook, I wish I can adapt her skill too. Then I'm going to cook for you... for your breakfast, lunch and dinner!"
"You can't do that. We live on a different house."
"Noo, I can. When we got married together!"

Krystal laughed. "You're so futuristic Yeollie."
"I can't help it." he pouted. "I can only see myself with you in the future."

Krystal bit her lip and shoved her spoon on Chanyeol's. "Just eat."

***

A month passed by since Krystal and Chanyeol started dating. Since they revealed themselves as an official couple, things changed around them.

For an example, Sulli became distant towards Chanyeol mainly because Chanyeol spent a lot of time with Krystal. She'll ask him for lunch but Chanyeol and Krystal always have plans to do. So basically, if Sulli was not left alone by herself, she's with Victoria.

Victoria was furious that Krystal was Chanyeol's boyfriend. It was still clear that she hated her, and even though Chanyeol would defend Krystal to her a lot of times, her impression towards his girlfriend wouldn't change.

"I mean come on! I thought you and Chanyeol will end up together!" Victoria said loudly on one of their lunch hours. She was sitting with Sulli on their same lunch table. "Firstly, you look good together. Secondly, he needs someone who's protective and concerned to him, like you. Thirdly, I don't like Krystal, and fourthly, I don't like Krystal again."

Sulli sighed. "Drop it Vic. It's okay."
"But you like him." she argued, emphasizing the two last words with heavy emotion. "And Chanyeol was too dense to notice that."
"And he likes her". Sulli said. "And I can't do anything about it either."

 

It was New Year's eve. Krystal was wrapped on thick, hand-knitted blue sweater made by Mrs. Park herself. Chanyeol was wearing one too, but his was pink. Krystal was still laughing at Chanyeol's color.

"I knew it. You're gay.!" she teased happily.
"I'm not! Stop laughing Krystal or I'll kiss you!"

Krystal stopped laughing immediately and shut . Mrs. Park peered at her son and Krystal and she chuckled amusedly.

"No kissing under the house. I forbid it." she said. "Help me with the desserts can you lovers? I won't let you eat if you don't."

Chanyeol ran towards the kitchen and helped her mom. "Where should I start Mom?"
"Here, lay the graham crackers on an aligned position."
"Like this?"
"That's right.."

After preparing the desserts, the three of them decided to watch a movie in Krystal's choice - The Three Idiots.

"I always want to watch this. Our classmates talk about this movie so often and I'm really curious about it." she turned the lights off and played the DVD.

The first part was hilarious. Krystal, Chanyeol and Mrs. Jung laughed their butts off as the story progresses. Chanyeol was so amazed at Ranchhoddas Shamaldas Chhanchad's pure intelligence especially with the spoon and wire thingy that he did to his senior.

"I want to be like him too! So amazing!" he exclaimed.
"SHHH!" Krystal and Mrs. Jung both said.

At the middle of the movie, their hearts broke at the death of Chhanchad's classmate. And it got even worse at Raju's suicidal attempt.

After three hours, the three of them were singing "All is well." over and over again.

"Oh my God! It's nearly 12 o'clock! Let's go outside now!" Mrs. Park said excitedly. She ran outside their house with Chanyeol and Krystal on her heels.

There was a chorus of countdown as they and their neighbors counted in unison.

"FIVE!"

"FOUR!"

"THREE!"

"TWO!"

"ONE!"

A blast of colorful fireworks from everywhere enlightened the whole, starry sky. Krystal breathed dreamily. She wished that she was with her Mom and sister right now... but today, Chanyeol and Mrs. Park's presence filled the large hole in her heart. She was plainly happy having to meet this family and even better, to be a part of it.

Chanyeol tugged her sleeve and Krystal looked up. He was motioning her inside the house and she followed him.

They went straight to his room. Chanyeol rummaged his drawers and found what was looking for.

"This is my gift for you Krystal." he said, holding out two, silver rings. "I emptied my second piggy bank for this."

Krystal smiled thoughtfully at his gifts. "You don't have to give me these Yeollie."
"But I want to." he replied. He inserted the ring on a silver lace and slid it down to the middle. He approached Krystal and swung the makeshift necklace around her neck. "I want you to wear this on your neck than your finger, so that it's nearer to your heart." he said softly. He locked the necklace and looked around to see the result. "Beautiful." he curled a stray strand of her hair around her left ear and smiled. "...Just beautiful."

Krystal took the other ring and slid it on the lace too. He tiptoed to reach Chanyeol and placed the necklace around his neck, almost hugging him.

"And just handsome." she replied, still clinging to his neck
"Krystal?" Chanyeol wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer to him.
"Hmm?"
"Promise me that we'll wear this necklace as long as we love each other."

Krystal stared into his eyes and tightened her hug. "Promise." and she lightly kissed him on his lips.